HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
Perhaps you are remembering the original Into the Music. It was at the corner of Wardlaw and Osborne on the SW corner of the intersection where the Sushi is now. It was pretty large.
edit: The smaller Into the Music (now slated to become the medical office) actually started out as Music Trader which was opened by Movie Village. It later became Into the Music after Into the Music had already opened in The Exchange District.
I hate to age myself, but the original Into the Music was at 819 Corydon until about 1991 or 1992, then moved to the southwest corner of Osborne and Wardlaw (briefly sharing space with a furniture store, Blue Moon) until the early 2000s when it moved to the location on McDermot.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I hate to age myself, but the original Into the Music was at 819 Corydon until about 1991 or 1992, then moved to the southwest corner of Osborne and Wardlaw (briefly sharing space with a furniture store, Blue Moon) until the early 2000s when it moved to the location on McDermot.
There definitely was a music store adjacent to Papa George's on Osborne by 1999. If it was nor Into the Music, was it a different music store before becoming Into the Music?

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
There definitely was a music store adjacent to Papa George's on Osborne by 1999. If it was nor Into the Music, was it a different music store before becoming Into the Music?
Yes, it was Music Trader, owned by Dave Ringer of Movie Village fame.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:38 PM

I took a stroll through OV again today, this time right down Wardlaw through the construction zone. With those projects, and the other few in the immediate area, sure has changed. Looking good!

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Yes, it was Music Trader, owned by Dave Ringer of Movie Village fame.
I died a little when Movie Village closed

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I died a little when Movie Village closed
What year did Movie Village close (for those of us who are too young to remember it)? Also, was it located where the Shopper's Drug Mart is now? I seem to recall someone saying that's where it was.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
What year did Movie Village close (for those of us who are too young to remember it)? Also, was it located where the Shopper's Drug Mart is now? I seem to recall someone saying that's where it was.
2018 according to a CBC article. I did not know Movie Village still existed, but the guy who owns Into the Music, had the location at the Music Traders for the last several years. I used to rent DVD's and VHS videos all the time in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s. I think the store adjacent to Shoppers closed around 15 years ago, but I could be mistaken.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
The location next to Shoppers was torn down in 2012. Technically it was next to Vi-Ann which was next to Shoppers.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
The location next to Shoppers was torn down in 2012. Technically it was next to Vi-Ann which was next to Shoppers.
I see, thanks for the info. I didn't start spending time in Osborne Village until I was 18 (in 2015), so that's why I don't remember it.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:16 AM

Movie Village, where one Bond flick would run you $9.99 and the next one, $45.99. I assume there were market forces driving this. But it was a magical part of my life either way. Between that and Jumbo Video, greatness had no boundaries.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:22 AM

The Village was the best during the late '80s - mid '90s. Much more happening... and safer.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
The Village was the best during the late '80s - mid '90s. Much more happening... and safer.
The Village in the 90s was the place to be.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Movie Village, where one Bond flick would run you $9.99 and the next one, $45.99. I assume there were market forces driving this. But it was a magical part of my life either way. Between that and Jumbo Video, greatness had no boundaries.
Free popcorn at Jumbo video is a core memory that will never leave me.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:12 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
Or was it that this was the time of your youth which makes it seem that way?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Or was it that this was the time of your youth which makes it seem that way?
ABSOLUTELY!

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 8:39 AM

The Village has and will never be truly special until three things happen.

1: that damn shell gas station gets removed
2: that Confusion corner becomes something other than a suburban style sea of parking.
3: get traffic off Osborne Village. Holy shit it’s incredible how frightened the city is in making it more pleasant for pedestrians. The strip is up there with the highest pedestrian traffic in the city (which is fucking sad now that I think about it) but NO we can’t have bike lanes or rapid transit on Osborne to reduce the car dependency in the area. I swear to god if someone here tells me we can’t do that on Osborne because “but TheBasketballGeek WiNniPEg dOeSn’t haVE A frEEwAy wHEre aRe All tHe cARs GoInG To gO”? I’m going to tell you that the automobiles destroying the environment with their absurd GG emissions and eroding our quality of life can go to hell.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 10:41 AM

For real. Only in Winnipeg is "other cities are more pedestrian friendly because they have more roads" an argument anyone would take seriously.

Seriously, though, the easiest answer is to build a 400m, 4-lane tunnel between Donald and Pembina, under Corydon. Turn Corydon and Osborne back into a normal, urban intersection. Widen the sidewalks on Osborne, add bike lanes, make it an actually nice street.

Basically, make it unreasonable to travel by car between Pembina and downtown via Osborne because the midtown bridge is easier and Osborne has better things to do than be a traffic sewer.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Seriously, though, the easiest answer is to build a 400m, 4-lane tunnel between Donald and Pembina, under Corydon. Turn Corydon and Osborne back into a normal, urban intersection. Widen the sidewalks on Osborne, add bike lanes, make it an actually nice street.

Basically, make it unreasonable to travel by car between Pembina and downtown via Osborne because the midtown bridge is easier and Osborne has better things to do than be a traffic sewer.
And how would we pay for this $500 million luxury? That area generates $10 million/year in property tax. Even if this massively increased the vibrancy and beauty of the area, doubling the assessment base over night, it would take a minimum of 50 years for that project to pay for itself.

This is why we can't have nice things. Infrastructure costs are too high and taxes are too low relatively speaking.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
And how would we pay for this $500 million luxury? That area generates $10 million/year in property tax. Even if this massively increased the vibrancy and beauty of the area, doubling the assessment base over night, it would take a minimum of 50 years for that project to pay for itself.

This is why we can't have nice things. Infrastructure costs are too high and taxes are too low relatively speaking.
This criteria isn't ever deemed necessary for other infrastructure projects. Is the Waverly underpass going to generate $100 million in new tax revenue at the corner of Taylor & Waverly? Because from what I can see it's the exact same strip mall and Shindico office that were there before. Everyone likes to call for overpasses and interchanges on the perimeter or to create an inner ring road - I've never seen anyone bother to demonstrate how those things would generate enough tax revenue to pay for themselves. The CPT extension is also a money pit if you look at it that way but we will probably forge ahead with those while the inner city continues to crumble.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post

Classic Winnipegger.

Other cities take out loans to build luxuries basic infrastructure, counting on tax receipts from new development or economic activity to manage the debt. You know this.

Infrastructure doesn't have to pay for itself in the same way your home or car don't have to pay for themselves. Having a way to get to work and not being an unemployable homeless person will increase your income, allowing you to make payments on your car or home. In the meantime, you get the benefit of having the car or home. Yes, in many years you will pay off your car or home, as we will eventually pay off the infrastructure loan, but the point is, you don't need to for taking out that loan to have been worth it. And infrastructure is actually kind of better because it's not like the repo man can tow it away or change the locks on it if we don't make payments.

Anyway, to definitely be pedantic, I don't know that this tunnel would cost $500m. Winnipeg managed to build phase one of the SW transitway for $128m and that included digging a 180 m tunnel under the rail line. Pitch it right, as a way to improve cycling and transit infrastructure, which it would do, and the federal government would pay for half. The provincial government isn't conservative anymore, so they'd be good for a piece too.

Likewise, I'd be surprised if the development spurred by fixing confusion corner would only double the taxes generated by a dollar store, a Burger King, that curve of McMillan between Osborne and Pembina, a Masonic Temple, and a big-ass parking lot. There's room for about a thousand housing units in that space, building to five floors.

It's funny, I joined this board about 20 years ago, when Winnipeg was in its real doldrums. I'd dream of the city growing like it is now, thinking of all the cool things we could do. And then the city did start growing. It's almost 50 % larger than it was back then! And it's growing at something like 4% a year! If there was ever a diem to carpe, this is it. The austerity, the slow-growth mentality--that can go to bed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan