HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:12 PM

I think it's tough for stores like St. Mary's to compete with the big grocery stores. I used to live in the neighbourhood and if we just needed to quickly grab a few items I'd walk over, or stop in on my way home from work. But if we were buying a week's worth of groceries we'd go to the Superstore largely because it had a much bigger selection of products. If your store has a limited selection of products then that will drive customers to other stores. What helps is having a critical mass of people who are within walking distance but Devon doesn't have the density to provide that yet.

It would be great to see St. Mary's develop some of the properties that they own with mixed use and lots of apartments. It could be transformative for that part of Devon and spur further development along Union.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:00 PM

Stumbled on a bunch of land listings for the large plots of land that Irving owns along Bishop Drive and around the Bishop Heights neighbourhood: https://www.spacelist.ca/listings/nb/fredericton

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatelyElms View Post
There goes the last local grocery store.. and the family-run neighbourhood convenience store has a For Sale sign out front, too.

I was hoping we'd get more local places, not watch them close down..
What about Victory? Is that not a locally owned independent?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
There's the Co-op on Allison Blvd, which is still chugging along, which I still use consistently. Co-op isn't advertised well and for some reason many people think Sobey's owns it (which is false). Sometimes prices are higher for individual items, but I find for weekly grocery shopping the overall costs cheaper, likely due to their "direct charge" members approach.

For example I just looked up 1L Bertolli Olive Oil at the Co-op ($17.99) Superstore ($23.99) and Sobey's ($21.49).

You never need to worry about Co-op artificially increasing prices. If there's an ACTUAL shortage/supply chain issue, you'll see increase in prices, but I've noticed multiple times when there's news about shortages to products, that Sobey's and Superstore will have dramatic increase in items, whereas there's no change with Co-op.

Anyway, I think it sucks the Saint Mary's one is shutting down though
Many people think Sobeys own the Coop because in 2015 Sobeys purchased select assets and assumed some liabilities of Co-op Atlantic. As part of a deal that saw Co-op Atlantic sell its grocery distribution system to Sobeys, the national grocery chain also picked up five corporately-owned grocery stores and five gas bars.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopmentAndy View Post
What about Victory? Is that not a locally owned independent?
I suppose, though I've always thought of them more of solely a meat market. Same with Peter's on the northside.

Though you are right in that if I had remembered, I probably wouldn't have worded it as I did.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:42 AM
New Brunswick booster!

They have a wide variety of fruit and vegetables. Low on pantry goods variety though.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 1:36 AM

Regent Mall will be getting a 6th jewelry store soon. Pandora is opening in July 2024 inside the former GameStop next to RW&CO. This info is from the recently updated mall leasing plan.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 1:43 PM
New Brunswick booster!

What is that huge lot of earth near the Princess Margaret bridge?

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
What is that huge lot of earth near the Princess Margaret bridge?
Material for Phase II Riverside Drive rebuild?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:27 PM

Noticed that the framing has begun for the second, larger apartment building on the south side of Forest Hill. The exterior of the first building is nearly complete.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Noticed that the framing has begun for the second, larger apartment building on the south side of Forest Hill. The exterior of the first building is nearly complete.
Noticed that as well when I passed by this AM. Can't recall the size on this one but as stated above, the footprint is much larger

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed that as well when I passed by this AM. Can't recall the size on this one but as stated above, the footprint is much larger
They are 64 and 114 units.

They start at $1245 a month which is surprisingly reasonable. http://relocatewithrobert.ca/49-forrest-hill/

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:43 PM

The space next to St. Louis on King Street has a “leased” sign on the front. I wonder what’s moving in?

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
The space next to St. Louis on King Street has a “leased” sign on the front. I wonder what’s moving in?
Rumour has it that a local distillery is opening a "second location" in this space. I suspect that it will be First Light.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:41 PM

Some good news on the grocery front. Just saw on FB that Victory Meat Market is opening a second location in the region.

They're setting up in Lincoln in the old Esso building. Opening in August.

Quote:
A second Victory Meat Market is coming soon to Lincoln Road in the old Esso building in August !!! It will be awesome to have a grocery store with great prices, and a cafe , Rocky Lemon within walking distance!! Can’t wait to check this out!
I wonder if they'll try to get a neon sign for the new location?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Some good news on the grocery front. Just saw on FB that Victory Meat Market is opening a second location in the region.

They're setting up in Lincoln in the old Esso building. Opening in August.

I wonder if they'll try to get a neon sign for the new location?
I saw this too, I thought it was strange since Bell Boy had moved in what seemed like a couple months ago.

Either way, it appears to be a good location, it's a high traffic corridor with the Vanier road connecting directly to the highway. Plus people in the area would probably prefer to go to Victory opposed to Sobey's for their produce.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Wait, this is the massive development that went to council and was approved, right? Now they are selling it and stalling he potential build? This could sit for years before someone buys this gets shovels in the ground, and we need more homes now.

We need more oversight in NB and start putting in place stringent timeline bylaws and conditions for approving these massive development proposals. Otherwise, they sit idle or are potentially re-sold at a premium once they get all of the "approvals". If an applicant cannot prove that they are financed and ready to get shovels in the ground within a year, they should not be approved. Worse, this will likely be sold to an investor outside of the city at a premium...meaning that every dollar of rent will go to Calgary or Toronto, and not back into the local economy.

Just ask SJ how their downtown "percy hole" is looking these days.
This is not the same project.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
This is not the same project.
Not the same project as what? It's absolutely the project that was previously approved.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Not the same project as what? It's absolutely the project that was previously approved.
A rezoning is not really much of an approval. So, I did not believe the poster was referring to that.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
A rezoning is not really much of an approval. So, I did not believe the poster was referring to that.
Actually, that is what I was referring to. This went to council and it got approval as a proposed development. Residents voiced concerns, people questioned if they wanted to live next to it, etc. What I don't understand is how something like this gets pitched, council approves it, then it goes up for sale within months. Other developers are potentially holding back on much needed projects thinking these big developments are going forward and will cool off the market, then they go "poof". It should not be allowed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces