HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:35 AM
gettin' rich!

One Yonge Tower will be the best building built in Toronto to date. And to be honest, I didn't expect that.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:17 PM

The One looks like the inside of a warehouse, those giant pallet rackings where they store all the goods. It is as suburban and industrial as a residential tower can be, very cold and depressing.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:59 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
The One looks like the inside of a warehouse, those giant pallet rackings where they store all the goods. It is as suburban and industrial as a residential tower can be, very cold and depressing.
Suburban? I'm afraid not seeing it. For me, suburban can mean either functionally or aesthetically. Functionally is stuff like if there's wasted land around the development with setbacks and surface parking, or if it's overly accommodating to automobiles such as if there's a prominent porte-cochère or loading area front. Aesthetically would just be very mundane or conventional looking styling that doesn't take any risks and tries to appear pleasant and vaguely upscale without doing anything interesting unique or cutting edge.

I see suburbs as places that embrace comfort, predictability and safety at the cost of interest, creativity, and convenience. I'm not seeing any of that with The One. The Foster design is fairly unique even if not revolutionary, and the overall aesthetic is more interesting than you'll typically see in suburbs - or places with a more suburban design ethos like Cityplace. Places that seem to follow a template and value convention.

I can kind of see the industrial aesthetic with the dark colors and the exposed diagrid. But to me, industrial doesn't mean suburban. I think of old brick factories in the central parts of older cities, some of which were converted to lofts or other gentrified uses once people started to fetishize the industrial aesthetic. Stuff like the old Canary Wharf buildings.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Suburban? I'm afraid not seeing it. For me, suburban can mean either functionally or aesthetically. Functionally is stuff like if there's wasted land around the development with setbacks and surface parking, or if it's overly accommodating to automobiles such as if there's a prominent porte-cochère or loading area front. Aesthetically would just be very mundane or conventional looking styling that doesn't take any risks and tries to appear pleasant and vaguely upscale without doing anything interesting unique or cutting edge.

I see suburbs as places that embrace comfort, predictability and safety at the cost of interest, creativity, and convenience. I'm not seeing any of that with The One. The Foster design is fairly unique even if not revolutionary, and the overall aesthetic is more interesting than you'll typically see in suburbs - or places with a more suburban design ethos like Cityplace. Places that seem to follow a template and value convention.

I can kind of see the industrial aesthetic with the dark colors and the exposed diagrid. But to me, industrial doesn't mean suburban. I think of old brick factories in the central parts of older cities, some of which were converted to lofts or other gentrified uses once people started to fetishize the industrial aesthetic. Stuff like the old Canary Wharf buildings.
When I was in grade 9, I worked in a warehouse near my house, where I picked the orders, for a company called RMP Athletic Locker. Seeing that rendering immediately triggered memories of that place. All those tall metal racks where they place the skids full of boxes of clothing. Everyday I navigated through those racks and climbed into those boxes to fulfill the orders. Walking in Yorkville will be like walking in that warehouse again.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:16 AM
I am the law!

The One is a quality build. I'm waiting how the different floor heights will impact the aestethic. One thing for certain, it's aestethic is minimal for the design and construction that has gone into the structure.

As for One Yonge, a condo/hotel tower filled will 1000 plus tiny boxes is just not going to add up to the best building ever in Toronto. It's too depressing that private space amounts to the best design and function to date. Commonplace green glass with grey frit is a missed opportunity to elevate this supertall above all others residential towers

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:51 PM

Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

Paclo

Paclo

Paclo

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I still want to know whether it is actually going to be 105 stories, or a "Donald Trump" version of 105 stories (e.g., Trump tower is advertised as having 68 floors, when it really has 58, and much likely, fewer than 58 floors. Likewise with many of his other towers.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I still want to know whether it is actually going to be 105 stories, ...
The zoning allowance is for 105 actual floors, at 3.1m per floor average (a pretty reasonable height). Some of those floors are mechanical levels.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-240447.pdf

Also, zoning is a maximum. They have the option of building less, though that rarely happens with residential in Toronto.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

thanks very much for sharing that info!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 6:10 PM
I am the law!

It's a weird situation right now. Developers are adding floors probably to offset rising costs however, nothing is selling at these price points. Will they or won't they if these units don't sell. They probably have a year if not more to decide/sell.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:50 PM

Pinnacle One already looks better than the rendering. I can't wait for it to be complete. Pinnacle name sounds familiar. I think they also built some in Mississauga.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:07 PM

The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

jackattack

Johnny Au

Johnny Au

Johnny Au

kotsy

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 6:56 PM

8 Elm | 218.2m | 69s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis l u/c

Popping up to grade soon. By far best and most original thing ever to come out of the (often lazy) IBI/Arcadis shop.

drum118

UT

drum118

UT

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 3:08 PM

WARNING!! to all SkyScraperPage weather fanatics. This post may contain skyscrapers.

The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

hawc

Benito
/
Benito

Benito

Johnny Au

Red Mars

Red Mars

Mechanical section:

Red Mars

Richtea

hawc

On the right is the 2 Bloor West’s podium make-over hosting a big lululemon.

Red Mars

2 Bloor West's new podium.

ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd

skycandy

skycandy

Last edited by Maldive; May 24, 2024 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:57 PM

Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l SkyTower Phase 2 u/c

Great drone shots courtesy of hawc from UrbanToronto.

hawc

hawc

Only 80 floors to go .

hawc

cityspace

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:35 PM

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l Phase 2 u/c

This one shot from the Sugar Wharf Phase 2 site.

Edwarander

Edwarander

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Toronto is so much better than Dubai. One Yonge's podium would be an open air parking structure in Dubai and, the pedestrian realm would be surfaces parking spaces.
Even Metrotown is more urban.

I will never forget navigating by foot from my modern 50+ floor hotel on Sheikh Zayhed Road to a nearby convenience store. Street level was just blank walls, gravel lots and open air parking podiums. Hideous pedestrian experience.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I still want to know whether it is actually going to be 105 stories, or a "Donald Trump" version of 105 stories (e.g., Trump tower is advertised as having 68 floors, when it really has 58, and much likely, fewer than 58 floors. Likewise with many of his other towers.
I was just at the doors open at Harrarri Pontarini and was probably the biggest nerd there. I can confirm it will be 105 floors. Though I never asked about the 13th floor. All the models showed full floor counts. That was an incredible tour. I would highly recommend any one in town to go to the next Doors Open if they take part.
They had so many architects in hand to answer questions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada