HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:15 PM

Lots more workers onsite the past few days. Seems their moving ahead on relocating the old gas station soon

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:40 PM

Is the building being moved, or taken apart and reassembled? I've forgotten.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 3:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is the building being moved, or taken apart and reassembled? I've forgotten.
In one of the plans here, you can see that they were going to temporarily move the building to the alley, then move it to it's new location closer to Richmond Rd. Is that still the plan? Who knows.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:31 PM

The old gas station is being moved the evening/night of June 2nd across the road to the MJM auto parking lot.

The house will be torn down in the next few days. Photos on skyscraper.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
The old gas station is being moved on in the evening/night of June 2nd across the road to the MJM auto parking lot.

The house will be torn down in the next few days. Photos on skyscraper.
Thx for the update!

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:13 PM

I still find this to be a hilarious waste of money and designation. I'm not sure I will ever be convinced otherwise.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbro View Post
I still find this to be a hilarious waste of money and designation. I'm not sure I will ever be convinced otherwise.
Yeah, it's a strange one. Someone on SSP once proposed moving it to the Parkway and use it as a cafe or bistro. I think that would have been better.

Honestly, I like the art deco gas station across the street much more than this one.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yeah, it's a strange one. Someone on SSP once proposed moving it to the Parkway and use it as a cafe or bistro. I think that would have been better.

Honestly, I like the art deco gas station across the street much more than this one.
I agree. Although the Esso Gas Station is Art Moderne, not Deco.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I agree. Although the Esso Gas Station is Art Moderne, not Deco.
Streamline Modern is sort of a sister style to Art Deco. Both prominent in the same era, but yes, I guess it's more Streamline Modern with it's asbsence of detailing than Art Deco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streamline_Moderne

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:56 PM

House demolished and gas station ready to be lifted and moved.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 11:24 PM

I wondered what was happening with this development. Anyone know if this will be built as rentals or units for sale?

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski2fast View Post
I wondered what was happening with this development. Anyone know if this will be built as rentals or units for sale?
I'm assuming rentals. Almost everything is rentals now.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:57 PM

It is also a Trinity project, so I don't think they have much, if any, experience selling residential.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:24 PM

building move

They are moving the building across the street this Sunday night in front of where the car shop (MJM Auto repair) is on island park

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortey35 View Post
They are moving the building across the street this Sunday night in front of where the car shop (MJM Auto repair) is on island park
It's interesting to see how they've reiinforced all the window and door holes with heavy timber to prevent shifting.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 2:50 PM

Aaaaaaaand its gone

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyfus View Post
Aaaaaaaand its gone

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 1:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ninety-year-old heritage 'cottage' gas station finds new home
Westboro residents turned out to see the Champlain Oil "cottage" gas station move from its home at the corner of Island Park Drive and Richmond Road

Marlo Glass, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 03, 2024 • Last updated 3 hours ago • 3 minute read

In the dead of a warm June night, a 90-year-old heritage gas station found a new, temporary home.

Around 12:30 a.m. on Monday morning, Westboro residents turned out to see the Champlain Oil “cottage” gas station move from its home at the corner of Island Park Drive and Richmond Road, where it has sat for nearly a century.

For now, the yellow cottage will sit down the street at 77 Richmond Rd., while a nine-storey, 103-unit residential development is built in its place. Once that project is near completion, the heritage building will be moved yet again, incorporated into the new development in a prominent spot, near the sidewalk of Richmond Road.

Built in 1934, the yellow structure is “essentially a cinder-block building,” Kitchissipi ward Coun. Jeff Leiper said Monday. “A lot of us were surprised you could move it whole, over that distance, in one piece, without it falling apart.”

The Tudor Revival-style building resembles something of an old English cottage, similar to some nearby homes on Island Park Drive. It operated as a gas station until the 1980s, when it became a used car lot. Only a few such “cottage” gas stations still exist in North America today.

Leiper said the gas station is a particularly interesting piece of his ward’s history. When the gas station was first built, it was considered far flung from Ottawa’s city centre, and a place for motorists to stop and fuel up. Now, he said, it serves as a symbol of how the automobile impacted Ottawa’s growth patterns over the past several decades.

Leiper says the gas station was designated as a heritage structure because it represents how the city was transformed by the automobile, he said. “It reflects changing travel patterns for people.”

Now, with its integration into the new residential development, the cottage is again a symbol of how the city is growing — now with an emphasis on density.

The city’s most recent official plan “really doubles down on intensification,” Leiper says. “It’s one of our key responses to sprawl, environmental challenges, and is an economically sustainable way to grow.”

People in his ward have “mixed feelings” about the tall buildings popping up, he said, but “it’s the reality of how the city has to develop if it’s going to develop sustainably.”

But, he added, “it doesn’t necessarily mean we have to lose our heritage.”

Kitchisippi, he said, is “underrepresented” when it comes to buildings that have heritage designation and protection, but it’s important to make sure the touchstones of the neighbourhood’s identity are preserved.

“The fact that (the developer) has been able to incorporate this building, with the type of development that needs to take place in a sustainable city, is really encouraging.”

Ahmed Zayed, vice-president of Trinity Group, the developer of the project, said the decision to preserve the heritage building was a collaborative one with the city and local residents.

“We came up with a plan to preserve all of it, not just one wall or facade,” he said. “We’re preserving it, moving it off-site and then bringing it back.”

That’s no small task. Zayed said it took a while to find a temporary location to “park” the building, and hydro wires needed to be buried underground to accommodate the equipment. Roads were closed for the duration, which is why it happened in the middle of the night.

Once the building is complete — about two years from now, Zayed estimates — the developer will be looking for a tenant for the heritage building, with the hopes that a restaurant could operate with a patio and gathering space for the community.

Coun. Rawlson King, chair of the city’s built heritage committee, said the project is an example of “adaptive reuse,” where a heritage building is renovated to suit modern purposes.

“There’s no reason why we can’t see the successful preservation and renovation of a historic structure that also contribute to urban regeneration,” he said. “It opens up new life for the buildings.”

With files from Postmedia

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/ninet...finds-new-home

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 1:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quickie video footage of the move:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6409005

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 2:44 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa