HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Phase 4 would be than a commuter rail line however this would be extremely expensive build because the the towns are all coastal and that coast is extremely irregular and not in any straight line at all. So might be buses and coach buses for the next 50+years (not in my lifetime)
Well, there was a rail line up until the early 1990s. Unfortunately it was abandoned and the rails pulled up so that it could be turned into a trail, a major mistake.

If there was a will, the ROW could be taken back and used for rail service again, admittedly at huge cost.

I seem to remember a rail line through Cole Harbour and the Eastern Shore to Musquodoboit Harbour and beyond too. The Cole Harbour portion of that would have been very useful given the growth in that area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, there was a rail line up until the early 1990s. Unfortunately it was abandoned and the rails pulled up so that it could be turned into a trail, a major mistake.

If there was a will, the ROW could be taken back and used for rail service again, admittedly at huge cost.

I seem to remember a rail line through Cole Harbour and the Eastern Shore to Musquodoboit Harbour and beyond too. The Cole Harbour portion of that would have been very useful given the growth in that area.
The rail line you are thinking of is now the Shearwater Flyer trail, Salt Marsh trail, and various others.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Seriously! Makes my blood boil whenever I think about it. What a colossal, and colossally costly, boneheaded decision that was.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:53 PM

It's May so the 2023 CMA numbers should be coming very soon. Anyone know the date they're due out from Statscan?

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:50 AM
New Brunswick booster!

22nd.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:54 PM

CMA for July 1, 2023 (included expanded boundaries) is in.

518,711!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:37 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Where can we find this, can you post a link please?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Where can we find this, can you post a link please?

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710014801

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:54 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Thank you

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:23 PM

Source: https://twitter.com/DenySully/status...60572978397228

In Halifax now housing is so expensive more people move outside the city then to the city!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:07 PM

Welcome to Little Mumbai.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:04 PM

Why is the male 25 age range so high all of a sudden in Halifax?

Shouldn't we be immigrating equal amounts of men and women at that age range?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Why is the male 25 age range so high all of a sudden in Halifax?

Shouldn't we be immigrating equal amounts of men and women at that age range?

My guess is a big surge in non-permanent immigration last year, which skews to young men?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
My guess is a big surge in non-permanent immigration last year, which skews to young men?
Yes the recent surge in fake students wanting to work uber and anything else they can do are predominately men.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are gonna be oodles of lonely south Asian males wandering the streets of Halifax. That shouldn't cause any problems, right????

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There are gonna be oodles of lonely south Asian males wandering the streets of Halifax. That shouldn't cause any problems, right????
Not so far as they tend to be well brought up guys that so far behave themselves. Saturday night downtown after 1:30 am however....

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Right. Canada does not control for gender parity in setting immigration policy. And it's well-established that the recent surge primarily funnelled low-skilled workers for services industry, which for non-Canadians, are dominated by men.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:37 PM

Canada is trying to prop up our stagnating economy by trucking in low-wage / low-skill workers and consumers. The problem with this is it's causing increasingly dire long-run issues (ballooning deficits, deficient infrastructure, increasing crime and violence) and throwing gasoline on the fire of the gap between the rich and the poor. Bringing in all these people effectively stimulates the corporate bottom line but hurts the average citizen who now faces fiercer competition for jobs, housing, healthcare, hell even just for a spot for their kids in a school that isn't dysfunctionally overcrowded. All so that we can "increase the GDP" (note - GDP *per capita* is plummeting, which in my view is a recession)

This being said, I see little indication that the likely forthcoming change in PM leadership will meaningfully change this issue.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAficionado View Post
Canada is trying to prop up our stagnating economy by trucking in low-wage / low-skill workers and consumers. The problem with this is it's causing increasingly dire long-run issues (ballooning deficits, deficient infrastructure, increasing crime and violence) and throwing gasoline on the fire of the gap between the rich and the poor. Bringing in all these people effectively stimulates the corporate bottom line but hurts the average citizen who now faces fiercer competition for jobs, housing, healthcare, hell even just for a spot for their kids in a school that isn't dysfunctionally overcrowded. All so that we can "increase the GDP" (note - GDP *per capita* is plummeting, which in my view is a recession)

This being said, I see little indication that the likely forthcoming change in PM leadership will meaningfully change this issue.
It's absolutely brutal. I spend a lot of time in the US and the divergence in just the past 10 years is truly striking. The median US household has FAR more disposable income and enjoys a better quality of life than the corresponding household in Canada (risk of gun violence aside?). And before people bring up healthcare, most people in the US enjoy much better access to equal or superior care than most Canadians. And they still have more money after taxes, insurance and others costs. Unless you're literally quite poor (bottom 10%), most people are far better off financially at least in the US.

What matters to most people is their own quality of life. While imperfect, GDP per capita is somewhat of a proxy. Canada is near 2014 levels and plummeting! Only G7 country still below pre-pandemic levels. Worst projected growth in the OECD over the next 10, 20, 30, and 40 years. Canada is now a poor "rich country" and trying to leave the club entirely. Truly shameful and a lot of people are only now starting to wake up to the fact things have gone badly wrong, even if they can't quite articulate it in economic terms.

It's beyond me why our leadership would choose to deliberately destroy our quality of life, but here we are.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
It's absolutely brutal. I spend a lot of time in the US and the divergence in just the past 10 years is truly striking. The median US household has FAR more disposable income and enjoys a better quality of life than the corresponding household in Canada (risk of gun violence aside?). And before people bring up healthcare, most people in the US enjoy much better access to equal or superior care than most Canadians. And they still have more money after taxes, insurance and others costs. Unless you're literally quite poor (bottom 10%), most people are far better off financially at least in the US.

What matters to most people is their own quality of life. While imperfect, GDP per capita is somewhat of a proxy. Canada is near 2014 levels and plummeting! Only G7 country still below pre-pandemic levels. Worst projected growth in the OECD over the next 10, 20, 30, and 40 years. Canada is now a poor "rich country" and trying to leave the club entirely. Truly shameful and a lot of people are only now starting to wake up to the fact things have gone badly wrong, even if they can't quite articulate it in economic terms.

It's beyond me why our leadership would choose to deliberately destroy our quality of life, but here we are.
The median household income in the U.S., after tax, is $62,773. In Canada it's $73,000. The American dollar is worth more but that isn't straightforwardly related to the prices of good and services, so in real terms the incomes are not all that different. Property is certainly cheaper in much of America, but I would absolutely dispute that the average American is vastly better off than the average Canadian. And the health care thing is not small: every person and every family, on a long enough timeline, is going to deal with some kind of huge health burden.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy