HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Typical Ottawa BS. Maybe reflective lights or a final bilingual sign or something.
They say "surface treatment", so I guess they are missing a yellow centre line. Dangerous as hell!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
What is the safety issue they are referring to in the article? (ice on the bridge? )
Apparently a non-slip surface.

Speaking of which - non-slip coatings have still not been applied to any of the slip-o-tile in the Confed Line stations, which is kind of telling about how serious this city is about slip risks in public infrastructure.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
There was also some interest last year in building a pedestrian bridge between Britannia and Deschênes:

https://deschenesrapidsbridge.org/

The story.
This would cost a shit-tonne of money to do well, but it could be done well. Too bad we're heading into a decade of even worse institutional cheapskatery than already prevails.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:43 PM

A not so subtle stab at the City of Ottawa.

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN
This will make the bridge connecting Major’s Hill Park to Kìwekì Point:

✅ Fully accessible to wheelchairs, bicycles, and pedestrians

🙌 Open. All. Year. Long!

Learn more about the redevelopment of Kìwekì Point. 👇

4:02 PM · Mar 20, 2024
·
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1...vFojG_CVw&s=33

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The red O sign has been installed on the pedestrian (west) side of South Keys Station. Not yet installed on the shopping centre (east) side of the station.

As announced, weekend testing has begun. Trains are not following any particular schedule.
And yet they still haven't paved that path to the bridge😒

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
Just like the Carleton University foot bridge, they are not obligated to finish the path until the overall project is open, whenever that might be. Of course, people squeeze through the fence at South Keys all the time. Why spend money to complete the pathway when they won't be paid until the whole project is turned over to the city?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:28 PM

Asphalt plants aren't open yet. When they do open, maybe you'll get lucky.

So are we using AI or something for the crazy amount of switching the line has to do at South Keys? Will the airport train arrive at a mixture of north and south platforms to stay out of the way of the main line? Will people board and have to travel to the northern pocket track and sit and wait? I'm flummoxed about the switching. Why the hell can't we just have normal service like every other city, in which the airport train arrives at the centre, with doors opening on both sides to go north or south on the next line. Like FFS open your eyes to how earth operates.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 7:27 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I reached out to Mr. Brockington a few days ago and he got a response back earlier this afternoon.

Good afternoon,

Here is what I found out regarding the pathway:

“We have reached out TNEXT and the City’s construction team, and they have confirmed that although the pathway might look like it is ready to be opened, a few crucial things need to be completed. TransitNEXT still has toe wall construction and paving to complete before the final alignment of the pathway leading to South Keys Station can be opened. Asphalt plants are opening for the season soon, so we should be able to provide some more information on timelines shortly. The final alignment is not tied to substantial completion, we just need those final pieces of work to be completed.

In the meantime, we will ensure continuous access to South Keys Station and the Plaza from the pathway using the detour. Traffic Staff visited this work site have fixed the fencing and signage to eliminate any confusion about whether that section is open.”

Sincerely,

Riley

The path not being tied to substantial completion is pretty telling.. AKA.. we'll get to it when we get to it. So that sucks.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 6:59 PM

I have been pondering a bit, and think I have hit on the next location that really needs an active transport bridge over a water body: the Rideau River between the foot of Clegg and the east bank near Hurdman.

It would act as an extension of the routes opened up by the Flora footbridge over the canal just to the west, open up new routes to and from Hurdman LRT station, and who knows, maybe it could even be designed and built with Rideau River water fun in mind.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I have been pondering a bit, and think I have hit on the next location that really needs an active transport bridge over a water body: the Rideau River between the foot of Clegg and the east bank near Hurdman.

It would act as an extension of the routes opened up by the Flora footbridge over the canal just to the west, open up new routes to and from Hurdman LRT station, and who knows, maybe it could even be designed and built with Rideau River water fun in mind.
100% yes. I think you would want to add new infrastructure into Alta Vista from there as well.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:43 PM

I couldn't find it but there is a project underway related to the area. Sample:
http://www.mainstreeter.ca/index.php...y-be-replaced/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:36 AM

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
100% yes. I think you would want to add new infrastructure into Alta Vista from there as well.
Yup, it seems like such an obvious place for one I've never though to check if it's in any plans. It's technically included in Phase 1 of the New TMP as a "Development Related" active transportation structure, but I wonder what development that means?

A bridge there would actually align really well to the MUP that runs along Hospital Link Rd, giving it a crossing of Riverside Dr. into some of the apartments along Lycee Place. Could take it one step further and get an underpass of the train tracks and connect through Dale Park into the Riverview neighbourhood!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:42 PM

What we really need is to complete the Sawmill Creek pathway to the Rideau River, somehow connecting to Data Centre Road and then cross the Rideau River to Leonard Avenue, which will connect to the pathway along Colonel By Drive which will get you right downtown. The Sawmill Creek pathway will connect to the new Trillium Line pathway, which runs all the way to Bowesville Station and beyond on the old CPR corridor crossing the entirety of rural Ottawa. There will be many connections to local neighbourhoods. This would be the most continuous MUP going south.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:55 PM

Found it. Here's the Lees/Hurdman/Tremblay planning document. It includes the pedestrian bridge crossing at Clegg.
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...an_main_en.pdf
"A future link is shown to connect the existing community east of the VIA tracks to future development west of the tracks. It is envisaged that this link would be in the form of a pedestrian underpass under the VIA tracks. While its location is conceptual, the City’s intent would be to negotiate for such a connection at the time of future redevelopment proposals for any lands located between Old Riverside Drive and the VIA tracks. Such a link is desirable for community connectivity with long-range desire lines connecting west, first to the potential Rideau River crossing described above, and eventually to a future pedestrian bridge at Clegg over the Rideau Canal to Lansdowne Park."

and a summary post here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=16

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:51 PM

The bridge is still closed. Has it been a year since it was finished?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Bridge is planned to open on June 15

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post

The bridge isn't finished, even if it may look like it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 11:37 PM

Carleton has gotten some pretty nice infrastructure bumps the past couple years but there is literally a generation of undergrads who saw nothing but construction barricades!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:31 AM

View from the other side of the new MUP bridge near Carleton:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation