HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:07 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ the original design of this building resulted in the original developer declaring bankruptcy (IIRC).

I think we would be very naïve to assume that the design will be remaining the same to make this building viable the second go around.

Like it or not, brick costs extra money compared to the other available exterior finishes. It's low hanging fruit in a value-engineering exercise and will likely be one of the first items to be scaled back.
Ha ha. You actually think it was the brick that made the project go bankrupt? It might have been an inexperienced developer who couldn’t afford a project of this scale.

The brick saved half a million dollars over metal. We budget cut this thing for two years straight. The brick was not consequential in the context of a $40 million project. You don’t think we would have done that? We were removing kitchen islands and shaving inches off windows to save every penny. We looked at every option under the sun to bring the building cost down.

If anything was the prime culprit it was Covid. Not only did it kill the owner’s primary source of income but it made construction costs run wild. We would cut millions out but because it would take three months to do, the inflation in construction would actually increase in cost. Had he built the first iteration he would have gotten a much better building that was four stories taller for five million less and open two years ago. Twice the parking. Every delay used to try and save money ended up costing more. It was an unprecedented time to try and build a project like this. Never mind if you’re just a guy and not a REIT.

Last edited by trueviking; May 3, 2024 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I will play the naive card and assume the new owners have more money lol

What was the plan for the exposed areas of the precast concrete, leave bare? Or covered with some type of coating?
They don’t need to. The bankruptcy gave them $20 million of work already done.

The three sides that were not brick were exposed precast. Like the Stradbrook building. By the end it was going to be raw concrete because we had cut the cost of painting it. I actually preferred it.

Last edited by trueviking; May 3, 2024 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:05 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ha ha. You actually think it was the brick that made the project go bankrupt? It might have been an inexperienced developer who couldn’t afford a project of this scale.

The brick saved half a million dollars over metal. We budget cut this thing for two years straight. The brick was not consequential in the context of a $40 million project. You don’t think we would have done that? We were removing kitchen islands and shaving inches off windows to save every penny. We looked at every option under the sun to bring the building cost down.

If anything was the prime culprit it was Covid. Not only did it kill the owner’s primary source of income but it made construction costs run wild. We would cut millions out but because it would take three months to do, the inflation in construction would actually increase in cost. Had he built the first iteration he would have gotten a much better building that was four stories taller for five million less and open two years ago. Twice the parking. Every delay used to try and save money ended up costing more. It was an unprecedented time to try and build a project like this. Never mind if you’re just a guy and not a REIT.
I never said brick torpedoed the project, only that it's very likely to get scaled back in the second go around, since everyone is so obsessed about it on this building. And I stand by that opinion.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 5:28 AM

When I brick you brick we brick

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:33 PM

Any developments on this development recently?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:41 PM

Just walked by actually. One pickup on site. Looks like they are just pumping water out of the parkade.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:49 PM

I noticed the truck on site as well today. There was also a surveyor on the Donald St. So thought maybe they're doing something with the site. I can go look out the window in a few mins.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:50 PM

Surveyor is now on the top level of the building. So they're doing stuff. (Sorry no photos today).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Surveyor is now on the top level of the building. So they're doing stuff. (Sorry no photos today).
Better than nothing.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 4:50 PM

I assume they were surveying to check what's there vs what the original design shows. So they can continue on with whatever tehy have panned for the building. Due diligence. Part of the process.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I assume they were surveying to check what's there vs what the original design shows. So they can continue on with whatever tehy have panned for the building. Due diligence. Part of the process.
Good to hear!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 4:59 PM

There's been activity at site everyday I've been downtown recently. There was a skidsteer this morning cleaning up the graveled area along Donald. Otherwise there's been vehicles parked in the back with people on site doing something.

Hoping we'll see the lane closures and full remobilization soon.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 5:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Hoping we'll see the lane closures and full remobilization soon.
I believe this is happening in Oct.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe this is happening in Oct.
Do you think theres any chance we see them keep the original design, or is it likely a complete overhaul?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:03 PM
What could go wrong?

I have been told it will be essentially the same design, just with more units.

I haven't seen the updated drawings yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:29 PM

Nice.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:31 PM

I have to say the quick turn around on this project is quite impressive (provided it does get restarted in Oct). I was worried it would be stuck sitting as is for a couple of years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have been told it will be essentially the same design, just with more units.

I haven't seen the updated drawings yet.
Brick and all!?!? (Hopefully, @trueviking)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:40 PM
surely you agree with me

I'm waiting with bated breath just like everyone else, ha ha.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:27 PM

I bet this one is completed before Sutton Place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan