HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The City is also fixing the severely-damaged and shameful walkway in front of Canada Place at the Waterfront Station west entrance.

Thank you again, ABC.
Do you have something to point to that these streetscrape improvements are a result of a specific ABC policy direction, vote, or funding request/allocation? Or is this another example of you not fully understanding how the City works?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I wonder if this is the project LeftCoaster was referring to.
The Anchor Point rendering does remind me of the Crystal.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArbutus View Post
That courtyard has been in a sad state of disrepair for years and years. When I moved to the West End in 2014 there were already condo listings marketed by hopeful realtors promising potential buyers that a sale to a developer was just around the corner. Who knows how long it was going on before that. I'm sure there's been zero interest by strata council/owners to invest in anything but the bare minimum for a building that will eventually be torn down.

Agreed about losing affordable condos in the downtown core. Also a surprisingly lively set of businesses on Burrard. Number e is one of the best semi-hidden gem food joints around downtown and I have a strong suspicion that the (simultaneously friendly and curmudgeonly) owner will simply throw in the towel when it's time to go, not set up shop somewhere else.
Yes the retail on Burrard is surprisingly busy yet the Hornby side markedly less so. The whole issue of poor maintenance is symptomatic of one of the worst aspects of strata ownership. If the building were rental and managed by a single company it wouldn’t be in such a sorry state.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The Anchor Point rendering does remind me of the Crystal.
Hah! yes! That's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I tried hunting down some old renderings of the Crystal to see if it was one in the same, but no, it's just similar.
{I hope the Crystal is used somewhere, someday, though. Too beautiful and daring design to simply throw away, but that's another topic}

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The City is also fixing the severely-damaged and shameful walkway in front of Canada Place at the Waterfront Station west entrance.

Thank you again, ABC.
It's tentatively closed until July 31 should be fun to see what happens with cruise ship foot traffic.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
It's tentatively closed until July 31 should be fun to see what happens with cruise ship foot traffic.
It should be fine, there is always a handful of VPD Traffic Authority there, just redirect everyone to the crosswalk in-line with Hornby.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:51 AM

VAG

Too bad these trees are going...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:51 AM

Thanks for the pics. The notice says coniferous tress so that must have been for the on property pines that are already gone, not those Hornbeam street trees. There would also be no need for the root protection barriers if they were being removed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:32 PM

This permit says 6 are being retained. I think the ones closer to West Georgia (along Beatty) are getting removed since the street widens there to three lanes (dedicated right turn).

Quote:
Tree Permit for DP-2021-00171:
The removal of forty-one (41) site trees. The retention of six (6) street trees. Approximately thirty-two (32) replacement trees and seven (7) street trees proposed per the approved landscape plan.
For supporting documents, refer to DP-2021-00171
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=225833661

This has the trees to be removed not sure if it's the same on those notices. This one seems to indicate all the trees being removed except the ones near where the modular housing was located.

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/688-c...appendix-d.pdf

Last edited by jollyburger; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:26 PM

No street trees on the Cambie side on Google streetview - mostly a bunch of small birches within the parking lot landscaping.

Here are the conifers - probably planted in the 1970s or 80s when the City planted conifer street trees (there were a number on Granville Mall). These ones actually grew straight.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2787...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:32 PM

Probably similar in age to the ones next to the Central Heating plant. There were no trees on that corner when they built the bus depot.

They're already quite tall in 1981

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/...reet-west-side

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Probably similar in age to the ones next to the Central Heating plant. There were no trees on that corner when they built the bus depot.

They're already quite tall in 1981
No street trees in the 1950s

[City of Vancouver Archives]

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post

Coming up at April 10th Urban Design Panel meeting
https://vancouver.ca/your-government...ign-panel.aspx

Address: 904-920 Davie St

Permit No.: RZ-2023-00067

Description: To rezone the subject site from DD (Downtown) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is to allow for the development of a 29-storey mixed use building and includes: 179 strata residential units; 3,410 sq. m (36,708 sq. ft.) of office use; commercial space on the ground floor; a floor space ratio (FSR) of 12.91; and a building height of 106.1 m (348 ft.).

This application is being considered under the Downtown Official Development Plan and the Potential “Benefit Capacity” in Downtown Policy

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 8:20 PM

I'm not a frequent enough visitor to the forum to know if this has already been posted, but in case it hasn't, 1555 Robson Street (at Cardero) has been purchased for $58M by GWL Realty Advisors (the real estate investment arm of the Canada Life Assurance Co). GWL Realty Advisors has subsequently assigned the purchase to the Canada Life Assurance Co and the Canada Life Insurance Co of Canada, who will hold an undivided interest of 80% and 20%, respectively. At the moment, it's unclear if the new owners plan on carrying through with this original plan of building a 28-storey residential tower.

Link to the article: https://storeys.com/1555-robson-vancouver-gwl-realty/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 10:35 PM

Thanks.
Good to know it's still in play.
Maybe they'll try to go taller.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 3:38 AM

VAHA Burrard - Mass Timber Tower

My pics from Saturday Apr 13, 2024

VAHA Burrard under construction ? Or is that the tower crane base. If tower crane base, it's different from what I usually see.
I'm rooting for this tower to be the first completed mass timber tower for Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
My pics from Saturday Apr 13, 2024

VAHA Burrard under construction ? Or is that the tower crane base. If tower crane base, it's different from what I usually see.
I'm rooting for this tower to be the first completed mass timber tower for Downtown.
Must be for the crane base it's getting installed on April 20. Maybe where those 4 vertical pipes are located.

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=221317277

$70 million dollar budget for the project

https://www.fastepp.com/portfolio/va...gency-burrard/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:37 AM

Looks like a crane base with the actual steel base structure still to come.

Last edited by madog222; Apr 15, 2024 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:31 AM

Royal Centre

Pics by me April 12th:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:11 PM

Nice finger!

Looks like this thing is in full swing, they've closed a lane off on Georgia for construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver