Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier
I’m really torn about Flair. On one hand having them around is good in that it helps to anchor everyone else’s fares a bit, but on the other hand they dilute some of our markets, especially borderline ones, which affects growth by the carrier we want to grow (PD). Having them out of the way is probably a net benefit but the fares will climb.
|
I think some/many in this city (esp. in this forum) are happy to pay more to support PD because of the investment they’ve put forth at YOW. However, we can’t forget about how many frugal flyers there are in Ottawa who might’ve been willing to take a direct F8 flight out of YOW but will go back to driving to YYZ/YUL if F8 pulls out or folds, regardless of whether PD offers a direct option to the same destination from YOW. Of course, the market will dictate price competitiveness on its own to an extent, factoring in service, convenience, status, and other factors.
Personally, I like having Flair as an option. My buddies and I were part of those Jan pax stats for LAS. I paid for the $30 Hopper flight insurance at checkout and ended up having my entire $189 R/T fare refunded because the return flight was delayed 2.5 hrs (which is beyond the 2hr threshold). Helped soften the blow from the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 losses.