HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 3:13 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Just like no? Sure the line looks straighter but 5th/foothill at that point isn't even on campus, or at least no undergrad would have a class near there. It's not a more direct route through the university, its a straighter line that bypasses the university. The only situation I would think this is ok is if the original line remains or gets moved to actually run THROUGH campus.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 3:35 AM

The only thing it bypasses is the current Stadium station. It is a more direct route to South Campus, the medical center and the future Research park line. Currently, Red line trains have to come to a stop or close to it and make a hard, left turn to get to the station. Then they have to crawl around the stadium to South Campus station. Also, if I remember right, there is no real pedestrian path across those tracks on the north side of the stadium. That whole area could be better optimized for pedestrians if they went with alternative 4. Yes, the new station would be a block or two further away from the law building and everything on the west side of campus but there are also benefits for everyone using the stations east of Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 3:38 AM
Lahaina Strong

Here's the maps of the proposed routes through Utah:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:13 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

As long as trax is street-running, its never going to be particularly fast. The fact of the matter is that connectivity is going to be more important. Stadium is important being where it is currently because it's the closest you're gonna get to most classes on the red line. South Campus is a 3 or 4 block walk to anything other than the business college, fort douglas is only particularly connective if you live in the dorms, and medical center is decently separated from the rest of campus. A research park extension will be similar. All are great destinations and think it's great that they're connected, but Stadium is better situated for ridership, and the numbers prove it.

To add, stadium station is actually quite well connected pedestrian-wise. There's a nice tunnel under the tracks and the nearby intersection has a scramble cycle. In no way is there "no real pedestrian path".

Finally, my point is that even the current line bypasses campus, and that this new line makes it even worse. Neither route along south campus drive goes through campus in any way, but at least the current one is close enough to campus to be connective, especially for those who may not be inclined to walk very far.

To turn away from that, the fra long-distance map is very interesting! I like how the LAX-DEN line uses the overland route while the SEA-DEN uses the Central Corridor. It allows a Cheyenne connection without the weird non-connection between SLC and ogden. Whatever routes get chosen in the end, this is a very exciting time, especially for us in the west.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:29 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Ahem... sorry about that, if you can't tell I can get very passionate about some things.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
As long as trax is street-running, its never going to be particularly fast. The fact of the matter is that connectivity is going to be more important. Stadium is important being where it is currently because it's the closest you're gonna get to most classes on the red line. South Campus is a 3 or 4 block walk to anything other than the business college, fort douglas is only particularly connective if you live in the dorms, and medical center is decently separated from the rest of campus. A research park extension will be similar. All are great destinations and think it's great that they're connected, but Stadium is better situated for ridership, and the numbers prove it.

To add, stadium station is actually quite well connected pedestrian-wise. There's a nice tunnel under the tracks and the nearby intersection has a scramble cycle. In no way is there "no real pedestrian path".

Finally, my point is that even the current line bypasses campus, and that this new line makes it even worse. Neither route along south campus drive goes through campus in any way, but at least the current one is close enough to campus to be connective, especially for those who may not be inclined to walk very far.

To turn away from that, the fra long-distance map is very interesting! I like how the LAX-DEN line uses the overland route while the SEA-DEN uses the Central Corridor. It allows a Cheyenne connection without the weird non-connection between SLC and ogden. Whatever routes get chosen in the end, this is a very exciting time, especially for us in the west.
As a fellow U student, I agree with what Nebula3lem123 is saying. The stadium station as it sits now is the best option for students who are not going to the business school or the hospital. Moving it on to 5th South takes it much too far away from West campus, which is where most of the students are. Not to mention that the intersection of 5th South and Guardsman Way is already too busy of an intersection with long wait times for students waiting to cross and cars. Adding Trax would make that even worse.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 6:07 PM
high-floor train enjoyer

New Rio Grande Plan video just dropped

Got me more hopeful about this, after the kimley horn analysis came out, the consensus in my circle was that the price is just too high, glad this video highlights that this is the best case scenario and will likely be cheapened somewhat

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:47 PM
Lahaina Strong

Passenger rail to Moab hasn’t left the station

Sophia Fisher | February 20, 2024 | Moab Times Independent

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBison View Post
As a fellow U student, I agree with what Nebula3lem123 is saying. The stadium station as it sits now is the best option for students who are not going to the business school or the hospital.
Or the Planning & Architecture school

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:06 AM
Lahaina Strong

UTA has been testing out the new ticket machines at Murray Central for a little while now.

I have tried to purchase tickets from the new machines on two separate occasions and been unsuccessful both times. (Pardon the reflection, it is hard to take a picture of the screens in the sun.)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:55 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

The ticket machine bluescreened??

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Or the Planning & Architecture school
Alright, you got me there. Haha.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:01 PM

UTA August Changes

UTA released their proposed August Changes to routes and more importantly fares.

https://rideuta.com/Rider%20Info/Change%20Day

Looks like the era of free rides on UVX will be ending this summer-

Quote:
UVX Changes

UVX is currently a Zero Fare service. The proposed change is to begin charging regular fare ($2.50 one-way) for UVX service. UVX riders would transition to paying fare.
UVX has been Zero Fare since its implementation in 2018. Funding for Zero Fare has expired. Fares support the operating and maintenance costs of running transit service. This change aligns with UTA policy to charge fare for service.
Payment methods:
For those with passes provided through UVU and BYU, little will change, except a renewed emphasis on tapping on and off.
Riders who have no fare payment method currently will need to acquire one. Riders will need a non-cash method to utilize UVX. Payment will be collected for UVX off-board at the stops.
Cash will not be accepted on UVX.
A FAREPAY Card is a great option for riders with cash.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:20 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
UTA released their proposed August Changes to routes and more importantly fares.

https://rideuta.com/Rider%20Info/Change%20Day
Absolutely devastated that UTA isn't restoring service to the 201/218/39. I use the 218 every day and it SUCKS. UTA needs to do better, by August (and I'm assuming December too) it will have been 2 YEARS since 201/218 (same route) went from 30 to 60 minutes, that seriously affects trust in an agency, especially in a region that already distrusts UTA for their lack of service in the area (see: HB 430 from Candice Pierucci, and Andy Pierucci's activity on Twitter).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 6:53 PM

If the red line is realigned at stadium station, would a better solution be to have the new stadium station be a little further west, directly south of the existing parking lot? It’s not as far of a walk for students but still helps reduce overall travel time for the line with the more direct shot to south campus station.

How do students and riders feel about that change, and why might UTA not be able to do that? It surprises me that isn’t what the proposal is and that the proposal has the station so far east on university blvd. there must be a reason why…does anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:34 PM

Perhaps UTA wants the Trax stop on 500 S to support new Utes baseball stadium and other facilities on Gaurdsman Way.

Also, new dedicated bus lanes on 200 S will have as least two routes from downtown or Front Runner that stop at Presidents Circle.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:43 AM

Double Track Rebranding

For the curious: UDOT/UTA have rebranded the FrontRunner Strategic Double Track project as FrontRunner2x and launched a new website with some basic Q&A, project updates, and most importantly, maps that show where the double track is actually going to be. https://frontrunner2x.utah.gov/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:00 AM

Something about that map is so unsatisfying.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:26 AM

It's so sad they are getting out all of the construction equipment along the whole corridor and not doing the whole job. 49% double tracked by 2029? Of course, all that matters is the frequency and maybe they will actually get it down to 15 minutes.

I am sure the cost will be astronomical 10-20 years from now when they are actually trying to double track it, too. $1.6B on that Salt Lake I-15 expansion that nobody wants was approved with little effort in the legislature. This doesn't even see $1B despite having a much larger scope -- with 70% of the current project already coming from federal funding anyway.

I am trying not to be overly negative as it is a desperately needed expansion and we should appreciate efforts to even get to this point... but every time I actually read up on frontrunner strategic double tracking it is like a reality check :'(

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:16 AM
Lahaina Strong

Further proof that we need the Rio Grande Plan.

Cyclists shake hands with danger to save a few seconds at the 600 West crossing.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West