Quote:
Originally Posted by nname
AC is adding additional service to KIX:
YVR-KIX 6x weekly (from 3-4x weekly)
YYZ-KIX 3x weekly (new route)
YVR frequency is from what was reserved for potentially daily flight to PVG. YYZ frequency is likely coming from TLV, which is now reduced through the end of S24.
|
Kind of a surprise to see KIX get extra flights like this. The 787 is valuable metal in the summer, I would have put tons of destinations ahead of KIX if someone asked me what AC would do with extra capacity. But that's just my impression, I have zero inside information on route performance or how much $$ they make. KIX just seemed to me to be a very touristy summer destination on the inbound side, never really thought about the other direction. Osaka is a major metropolis, massive for business, industry, and population. But it is very much in Tokyo's shadow in terms of international awareness amongst
commoners (ie. not airport junkies or geography buffs). Many average people wouldn't be familiar with the city, let alone pick it out on a map. Definitely underrated, as it has close to 19 million in its metro area, for a start. But back to AC, it was always summer seasonal, usually sub-daily, and never used premium aircraft (was a 767 for many years, then even got Rouged!, which doesn't scream "successful route" or "high yielding"). Of course Rouge left, and it went back to mainline, but with a 787-8, which is the smallest possible equipment they could use. Again, doesn't scream resoundingly successful, just a kind of steady, healthy summer route. So to see it go up to 6x weekly all of a sudden (and I thought maybe they'd down gauge to 788 to temper the additional frequency, but it is 787-9).
And then adding YYZ is even more shocking, never saw that as a top choice for slack in the schedule. The only thing I can assume is Japan is really benefitting from the lack of China, YYZ is even worse off than YVR. From Air Canada, at least YVR has the 4x weekly PVG, plus took HKG from YYZ so is now 10x weekly. Still abysmal, but we have to accept the new normal with China for now. But losing all of the China flights must have made Japan traffic soar and become bigger connecting points than they were before (it is the logical place to connect to China from Canada, for obvious geographic reasons). Otherwise I could just not see Osaka itself becoming that much more popular and exponential traffic on its own. Tokyo is a bigger draw, but AC is doing daily YYZ-NRT (777) and YYZ-HND (787), I think that's an increase over pre-covid too, no? But if filling a link to China is the motivator, I am surprised they didn't do adds at ICN instead (ie. YUL-ICN, I actually thought this existed already?). I would have sooner predicted a 4x weekly YUL-ICN than all these KIX additions. For now, Asiana still exists and is a Star Alliance partner**, just as ANA is in Japan. But Seoul is much more important than KIX, and the gap widens every second. Or YUL-DEL, I thought that was daily as well, but it is 3x weekly. I'd have thought upping this frequency was more desirable. God I wish I had access to confidential route information lol, I always theorize why decisions are made but never have the data..
So has anyone figured out where this extra 787 came from for KIX? I mean, it could easily have come from a route like YVR-YYZ, that city pair is everything and the kitchen sink in terms of equipment loL. I could never keep track to the point where I'd notice a 787 being pulled and replaced by a 321 or 330 or even a 777.
**I am alluding to the proposed Korean Air takeover of Asiana, which is in process. In order for the merger to proceed, the impact on competition had to be evaluated and approved by competition authorities in six key markets for the carriers. These markets were deemed "essential" requiring approval in order for the merger to be viable. China, Japan, South Korea itself, and the United Kingdom have approved it. The EU objected but is apparently warming and will not block the merger, apparently because of concessions such as divesting Asiana's cargo division, and divestment of routes to Barcelona, Frankfurt, Paris and Rome. We won't have long to wait, EU antitrust regulators have set a new Feb. 14 deadline to decide whether to clear the merger.... But that still leaves the US, the biggest opponent of all. You can bet a lot of decision makers are being greased up right now in Washington lol! I feel like they will cave, just might take some more finessing. Delta would be supporting it, they are close partners with Korean Air, and Delta has a lot of "friends" in the government. I just don't see the US taking a permanent stand against, just might need some route concessions like the EU allegedly got in return for their support. And it would mean no *Alliance partner at ICN. But I can't see AC limiting service because of a potential future loss of Asiana, for now they are very much alive.