HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:19 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I really hope that we could see some kind of development in that area as I believe it could become a whole new neighborhood downtown and really tie things together.
138 Portage E. is moving along behind the scenes, and now that the Nutty Club is closing, there are 2 or 3 other buildings in the immediate vicinity open for re-purposing into residential.

If Richardson makes the most of their open land there, it could be a fairly quick transition in that area.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Do we think this could be at all related to creating a campus to compete with TNS? A residential component would be a great fit if thats the case and they have the land to do it.
Compete yes but the Richardson’s have made smart strategic investments, they are major stakeholders in the True North development. Richardson campus will definitely feed off the synergy of True North Square, with the hotel acquisition hopefully we will see more major investment in the area.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:41 PM

I assume JR will update the plaza area around the hotel to match the rest of it. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything else with the parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:43 PM

Thats a shame. Their parkade is also an eyesore which is too bad, Lombard could be a pretty neat stretch with their research building and nutty club

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:52 PM

That's just me making assumptions with no other info. IMO, this wouldn't trigger some kind of larger development. But hopefully I'm wrong haha

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:43 PM

See ya Sherb! Closing its doors. I live in the neighbourhood and honestly, ObiWan Kenobi hive quote on Tatooine is a close fit.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...ers-bar-vendor

In a perfect world, what would you guys develop there as a replacement?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:48 PM

Would personally like a complete teardown and a Zü-like building go up honestly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 10:06 PM

I get this is a dumpy place. But the trend of bulldozing everything for generic condos kind of sucks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 10:24 PM

There is really no other alternative in the current times. Housing is sorely needed. Efficient use of the land is needed. It’s a mostly derelict building on a giant lot that has deteriorated beyond being cost effective to make any proper use of. I don’t know what else would be worth doing.

Last edited by WinCitySparky; Feb 3, 2024 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 12:47 AM

Agree with Sparky here. There's an argument for saving buildings that have some sort of character, add to the streetscape, or have unique historical or architectural significance. This building has nothing worthwhile to offer, and the sooner the bulldozers are let loose to clear the ground for more housing, the better.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Agree with Sparky here. There's an argument for saving buildings that have some sort of character, add to the streetscape, or have unique historical or architectural significance. This building has nothing worthwhile to offer, and the sooner the bulldozers are let loose to clear the ground for more housing, the better.
Exactly. It's ugly and not notable in any way. Let the dozers loose.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 1:29 AM

I agree that the building itself is not historically or architecturally significant. However, it would be nice if they could save some of the artwork/signs and reuse them on a new building. I think the building will likely be knocked down. Just looked up the property assessment. The building and the parking lot behind it are one big lot. The assessed value is only $896,000 for a 41,983 sq ft lot. That's just under an acre, so pretty big considering how close to downtown it is. I could see a development similar to the new buildings where the Zoo was. Maybe two 4-6 story buildings with a walkway between them above the backlane.

Property assessment is here:
https://assessment.winnipeg.ca/asmtp...ltySearch=true

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I agree that the building itself is not historically or architecturally significant. However, it would be nice if they could save some of the artwork/signs and reuse them on a new building. I think the building will likely be knocked down. Just looked up the property assessment. The building and the parking lot behind it are one big lot. The assessed value is only $896,000 for a 41,983 sq ft lot. That's just under an acre, so pretty big considering how close to downtown it is. I could see a development similar to the new buildings where the Zoo was. Maybe two 4-6 story buildings with a walkway between them above the backlane.

Property assessment is here:
https://assessment.winnipeg.ca/asmtp...ltySearch=true
I wonder if any community minded groups like the Westminster Housing Society have any dry powder? That seems like a great style of project for them, similar in scope to what they did on South Arlington. Add some CRUs and they'd be cooking with gas.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 2:09 AM

Or something like the housing co-op in Wolseley even.

Edit: oh that’s exactly what you referred to lol oops

Last edited by WinCitySparky; Feb 4, 2024 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 3:49 AM

i heard it has been sold already but no other details. there's a good amount of interest in the area so not surprised.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
138 Portage E. is moving along behind the scenes, and now that the Nutty Club is closing, there are 2 or 3 other buildings in the immediate vicinity open for re-purposing into residential.

If Richardson makes the most of their open land there, it could be a fairly quick transition in that area.
overall great news - bodes well for future development.

imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's just me making assumptions with no other info. IMO, this wouldn't trigger some kind of larger development. But hopefully I'm wrong haha
one has to think that if it was to be kept status quo, then the acquisition wouldn't have occurred in the first place. Arguably, it already exists synergistically with the building - seems hefty just to update the plaza

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 6:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

ithink les.net is moving as well so that complex will be empty in a yr or more

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 6:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sherb shutting down will help west broadway but sucks for the hipsters lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Getting rid of the Sherby beer vendor (mostly the capacity for returns on empties) and hopefully shuttering the Deno's pawn shop can only help out with random property crime that occurs around the West Broadway and Wolseley areas. Way harder for the back alley lurkers to make a quick buck.

Bring that building down and replace it with a 6-10 storey residential block with a few CRUs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:40 PM

I'm just sad all the old dive bars are being torn down I guess lol The Pal, Pemby, Cambridge, Sherbrooke. Balmoral.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan