Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343
It’s because Philadelphia (both the city and the region) had been so underdeveloped in the multifamily apartment market, these past 5-6 years has just been the region playing catchup. There’s a myth in this area that the region is building “all these empty apartments” but they’re being filled up quickly. There’s more room to grow in this sector for both the city and the region.
|
I hear that statement often here in Roxborough. People constantly complain that nobody is living in all of these new buildings rising along Ridge Avenue, yet, whenever I'm out walking/running at night, I see light emanating from nearly every window. There are also other clear signs of life, such as pets, Christmas trees, and decorations. It makes all the sense in the world why these new buildings are popping up: Roxborough is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the region, let alone the city. With great walkability (at least below Leverington), larger and well-maintained properties, excellent transit access, good schools (all are rated at least a 6 on GreatSchools), access to Manayunk, relative safety, and loads of green space, it's no wonder why updated homes in my section of the neighborhood are still going to pending in 3-5 days.
I think that some people fail to realize that, although Philly suffered through long periods of population decline, the number of households is actually greater than it was in years past--indicating that our population loss was mostly due to decreasing family size. If the number of HHs is increasing at a certain rate, then a commensurate number of units will be needed to maintain equilibrium. Also, as a younger Millennial/elder Gen Z (depending on which side of the generations you place my birth year), I recognize that it is tough for people in my generation to buy homes. While I was fortunate enough to buy a home at the rock-bottom interest rates of 2022, many did not have that opportunity. Those people will need apartments as they prepare to eventually buy homes.