HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 2:44 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,699
Google Street View lands lucky 'real time' view of Ottawa smog conditions

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 30, 2023 • Last updated 4 hours ago • 1 minute read




In an odd case of serendipity, Google Maps’ omni-present Street View cameras appear to have documented the capital’s hazy, smoggy air conditions in almost real time.

At least in one spot.

Alert users have been surprised recently to discover the Street View version of southbound traffic on George Dunbar Bridge, crossing the Rideau River, is moving in the smoggy atmosphere we’ve grown accustomed to.

The identifier on the screen indicates the shot was taken in June 2023.

Travel (virtually) a little further and you’re driving in bright sunshine. That footage was taken in September 2022.

Google media representatives were not immediately available for comment Friday, but there has been much written about the massive coordination required for the huge worldwide project.

There’s no definitive schedule for when Google Map cars will be in a particular neighbourhood. The well-known vehicles, each with ar trademark two-metre camera tower on the roof, basically head out almost randomly.

Street View cars can be delayed by weather, traffic, and other conditions, but, generally, Google Maps updates every one to three years, depending on the location.

More curiously, in this case, stitching together the images is an intricate process that can take weeks or more, making the smoggy capture now on view a bit of an outlier.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new...real-time-view-of-ottawa-smog-conditions
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 4:02 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
June 2023 imagery

I see Street View did my street and I think I can pinpoint the day as being June 15.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 7:15 PM
Spoonsy's Avatar
Spoonsy Spoonsy is offline
You call that a knife?
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Centretown West
Posts: 329
Anyone ever submitted an edit to Apple Maps?

I tried marking like 30 businesses in my neighbourhood "Permanently Closed", some having closed over 10 years ago, and they fight back on every one - "Please submit more information".

It seems they don't even look at their own Street View Imagery when reviewing an edit. You can say "this building was demolished and is a parking lot now" and they still push back. The only way to get it approved is to take your own screenshot of Street View and add it to your report.

I think they've come a long way from launch in terms of app features, but they seem intent on keeping the actual map data woefully out of date. I can submit a Google edit and it's approved 15 minutes later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 10:12 PM
SL123 SL123 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,977
Looks like Google Satellite globe view is finally getting some updates in Ottawa. A bunch of recent project now appears in the westboro area (i.e. Mizrahi on island park, or Elements at the superstore) still no update downtown or Zibi tho
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 10:19 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Wowwwwww. I started to wonder if it would ever happen. Just little pockets, but it's very promising. Quite recent imagery as well. Westgate is new as well. Little Italy is updated, Icon is full height finally.

Edit: You can easily construe most of the updated area by the darker colour



Edit: Almost all of Gatineau is updated, except Ile de Hull. Most of Ottawa east of the Rideau is updated including Orleans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 10:44 PM
SL123 SL123 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,977
I find the older imagery to be better quality tho
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 10:47 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
They really did this right after I decided to 3D model everything eh? Too funny. I just deleted hours of work. I'm ecstatic though, it's been a long time coming. I really really hope they fill in the rest over the coming days.

Side note: I looked up the official process to request new imagery around a month ago and submitted a request for the Ottawa region. Coincidence? Not sure!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 12:05 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,699
That reminds me, while I was out and about on Tuesday, I saw what appeared from a distance to be a Google Streetview car on Montreal Rd. But as it passed I could see that it was from Apple Maps. That's a first time spot for me. It looks like they have a device attached to the rear wheel hub... to measure distance traveled?





Photos by me
Aug 22, 2023
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 1:57 AM
SL123 SL123 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,977
Looking at the new imagery, I'd say they were taken last Summer around June/July 2022
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 3:00 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Looking at the new imagery, I'd say they were taken last Summer around June/July 2022
I'd guess the last week of July, based on some changes I see at my neighbour's place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 12:38 PM
RogueNacho RogueNacho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 273
Large parts of Gloucester and Orleans have also been covered in the updated imagery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 10:56 PM
Williamoforange's Avatar
Williamoforange Williamoforange is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 881
So I'm pretty sure Google maps just had a mini-update for Ottawa....as the Storm water pond near woodroffe is now visible....

And man that thing is more massive then I thought when I've biked by it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 3:29 AM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
So I'm pretty sure Google maps just had a mini-update for Ottawa....as the Storm water pond near woodroffe is now visible....

And man that thing is more massive then I thought when I've biked by it.
I'm aware of a new apartment building on the east side of Bells Corners that they removed the previous building in April/May 2023 and that original building still shows up on Google Maps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 4:03 AM
zzptichka zzptichka is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Outaouias
Posts: 2,399
GeoOttawa has aerial layer from summer of 2022 and it roughly matches what Google now has.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 1:21 PM
OttCity16 OttCity16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11
I see Wateridge Village still has imagery that looks pre-2019, which is frustrating considering the major development there since then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:00 PM
MountainView MountainView is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttCity16 View Post
I see Wateridge Village still has imagery that looks pre-2019, which is frustrating considering the major development there since then.
If you download the Google Earth Pro desktop version, you can see July 2022 images as well as March 2023 (snow) images of the Ottawa area.

If you don't want to download anything, the web version of Pro has imagery from July 2022.

Here is a direct link to Wateridge Village on Earth Pro.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #317  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 8:01 PM
OttCity16 OttCity16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
If you download the Google Earth Pro desktop version, you can see July 2022 images as well as March 2023 (snow) images of the Ottawa area.

If you don't want to download anything, the web version of Pro has imagery from July 2022.

Here is a direct link to Wateridge Village on Earth Pro.
Awesome, thank you!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:09 PM
urbanforest urbanforest is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 340
I just discovered that Apple Maps ‘Lookaround’ (streetview) has been expanded to include many paths, and even some sidewalks. There’s coverage (nearly) all the NCC MUPs in the core, plus very random unofficial paths, like across the field at Springhurst Park or into the bush off the southern Rideau River MUP near Hurdman. It also includes coverage of Lees station, including both platforms. But there are also blaring omissions like Major’s Hill Park and Sparks St.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:17 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,699
It looks like Microsoft Bing has updated their Maps imagery for Ottawa to sometime in late Summer/early Fall 2023.

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH2&cp=45.42234%7E-75.703948&lvl=12.7&style=h
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:19 PM
Norman Bates Norman Bates is online now
Living With My Mother
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It looks like Microsoft Bing has updated their Maps imagery for Ottawa to sometime in late Summer/early Fall 2023.

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH2&cp=45.42234%7E-75.703948&lvl=12.7&style=h
I made a change to my property on September 22, 2023, that is captured in this imagery. So it is no earlier than that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.