HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2501  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:35 PM
originalmuffins originalmuffins is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
Retail Insider article on Rideau Centre.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-inside...tawa-to-increase-foot-traffic-interview/

Mall is 90% leased and here is a bit of info on the Imaginaire space:
Interesting, so I wonder how they're going to break up the rest of the third floor then if the bulk of their space is on the 4th floor?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2502  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:44 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
Retail Insider article on Rideau Centre.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-inside...tawa-to-increase-foot-traffic-interview/

Mall is 90% leased and here is a bit of info on the Imaginaire space:
Ok, so they are taking the theatre space. Interesting. Can't imagine 90% leased includes the empty Nordstrom space. It alone represents 12.5% of the space within the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsavage View Post
Not sure how I feel about the quote about the theatre "from a long time ago" and what that says about how old I'm getting.
March 11, 2013. It closed over 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2503  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:04 AM
rdaner rdaner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 308
Though I am in Toronto I am in Ottawa annually and always end up at the Rideau Centre. Personally it looked fine and was busy. Also I always walk there so don't know or really care what the parking situation is like. What I wonder is how the rapidly increasing population in the central area of Ottawa is affecting such a large facility? I seem to remember reading that this mall is still one of the highest sales per sqf of NA malls so the owner is not losing money.

And if Ottawa is lucky to get an urban IKEA, I imagine that this is the place it will be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2504  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:04 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Though I am in Toronto I am in Ottawa annually and always end up at the Rideau Centre. Personally it looked fine and was busy. Also I always walk there so don't know or really care what the parking situation is like. What I wonder is how the rapidly increasing population in the central area of Ottawa is affecting such a large facility? I seem to remember reading that this mall is still one of the highest sales per sqf of NA malls so the owner is not losing money.

And if Ottawa is lucky to get an urban IKEA, I imagine that this is the place it will be.
I think this was destined for the Carlingwood thread conversation, but if I'm going to move it, might as well move it here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2505  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:19 AM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Though I am in Toronto I am in Ottawa annually and always end up at the Rideau Centre. Personally it looked fine and was busy. Also I always walk there so don't know or really care what the parking situation is like. What I wonder is how the rapidly increasing population in the central area of Ottawa is affecting such a large facility? I seem to remember reading that this mall is still one of the highest sales per sqf of NA malls so the owner is not losing money.

And if Ottawa is lucky to get an urban IKEA, I imagine that this is the place it will be.
Was there earlier this week and it was good and busy. Still a few empty or "coming in the spring" spots, and Nordstrom is a big hole. On the other hand, new stores like Uniqlo and Imaginnaire, plus Simons were packed.

It does make sense for an urban IKEA or an urban Canadian Tire to consider that location, as there are a tonne of people living close in all directions and many of them are car-free. I always assumed that they would be more likely to go into the bottom of a condo tower in Centretown or on Lebreton. Curious as to whether those destination-type stores will take advantage of cheaper commercial real estate, as they could easily thrive anywhere downtown. It's ridiculous that from central Ottawa you have to go to Heron or Coventry to get to a Canadian Tire.

As you note, Rideau Centre might be pretty expensive real estate for those types of stores, but I would imagine that anyone taking the whole Nordstrom spot might be able to negotiate a good deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2506  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:24 AM
SL123 SL123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Was there earlier this week and it was good and busy. Still a few empty or "coming in the spring" spots, and Nordstrom is a big hole. On the other hand, new stores like Uniqlo and Imaginnaire, plus Simons were packed.

It does make sense for an urban IKEA or an urban Canadian Tire to consider that location, as there are a tonne of people living close in all directions and many of them are car-free. I always assumed that they would be more likely to go into the bottom of a condo tower in Centretown or on Lebreton. Curious as to whether those destination-type stores will take advantage of cheaper commercial real estate, as they could easily thrive anywhere downtown. It's ridiculous that from central Ottawa you have to go to Heron or Coventry to get to a Canadian Tire.

As you note, Rideau Centre might be pretty expensive real estate for those types of stores, but I would imagine that anyone taking the whole Nordstrom spot might be able to negotiate a good deal.
With all the Uottawa students in residence a stone throw away from the old Nordstrom, an Urban Ikea in there would make lots of sense
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2507  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:20 PM
CanadaGoose CanadaGoose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
With all the Uottawa students in residence a stone throw away from the old Nordstrom, an Urban Ikea in there would make lots of sense
In 6 years, they can take the LRT to Ikea station (Queensview).

Also, Ikea is 80 000 sq ft at STC. So, that could occupy one of the floors of Nordstrom. Nordstrom was total 155 000 sq ft approx.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2508  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 11:29 PM
On Edge On Edge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 159
What might really work in the Nordstrom space is a Winners/Homesense combination like we see at Bayshore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2509  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 12:29 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Just imagine the severely undersized yet successful convention centre in the core of our nation's capital missing an opportunity like this... The Ontario Government should be frothing at the mouth for some of that space, but I have never heard it discussed outside of this forum. Just think of it, with the top floor of that space, Ottawa could have the same amount of convention space downtown as the bustling metropolis of Winnipeg!
__________________
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the.harleydavis/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2510  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 4:45 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Just imagine the severely undersized yet successful convention centre in the core of our nation's capital missing an opportunity like this... The Ontario Government should be frothing at the mouth for some of that space, but I have never heard it discussed outside of this forum. Just think of it, with the top floor of that space, Ottawa could have the same amount of convention space downtown as the bustling metropolis of Winnipeg!
Agreed. Really hoping the Convention Centre jumps at the opportunity. Might be happening behind closed doors. Probably not though. Highly doubt the Government of the GTA would invest in any such expansion of the Ottawho Convetion Centre.

So if it's not the Convetion Centre, I'd love a Canadian Tire and IKEA or Home Sense/Winners. Though HBC might already serve that market somewhat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2511  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:34 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Could an expansion of the Shaw (convention) Centre to take up the Nordstrom space actually work, logistically? Thinking of where both spaces are located.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2512  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 7:08 PM
zzptichka zzptichka is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Outaouias
Posts: 2,398
IKEA or CT would've been so great.
__________________
My aerial Ottawa photos on Flickr 📷
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2513  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:13 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Could an expansion of the Shaw (convention) Centre to take up the Nordstrom space actually work, logistically? Thinking of where both spaces are located.
Yes, extremely well. The back of the main hall lines up exactly with the 2nd floor of the old Nordstrom Space. Were they to take that floor, they could glass over the walkway between the two spaces and have to main halls directly adjacent. The 1st floor of the old Nordstrom could be something else entirely.




__________________
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the.harleydavis/

Last edited by Harley613; Dec 8, 2023 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2514  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 7:35 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,698
I still say move the HBC there temporarily and completely redevelop the Rideau/Sussex/George/Freiman block (HBC+old Chapters) Demolish it down to the facades and build a completely new structure behind them with underground connection to the LRT, superior interface with the ByWard Market, enough underground parking to replace all the surrounding surface street parking plus loading bays to create more pedestrian space in the market. It could be glorious!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2515  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 9:33 PM
argus argus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 1
The Rideau Centre would be an ideal place for an urban IKEA. I'm sure local U of O students would find it convenient.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2516  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 5:06 AM
rdaner rdaner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 308
I agree that an expansion of the convention centre makes sense plus an IKEA. However the site could probably be redeveloped with a large podium and two towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2517  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 5:23 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I agree that an expansion of the convention centre makes sense plus an IKEA. However the site could probably be redeveloped with a large podium and two towers.
Coming Soon. Ottawa's most exclusive new luxury rentals: Food Court Towers.

Bacehelors starting at $2499
__________________
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the.harleydavis/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2518  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 5:58 AM
movebyleap movebyleap is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 317
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I still say move the HBC there temporarily and completely redevelop the Rideau/Sussex/George/Freiman block (HBC+old Chapters) Demolish it down to the facades and build a completely new structure behind them with underground connection to the LRT, superior interface with the ByWard Market, enough underground parking to replace all the surrounding surface street parking plus loading bays to create more pedestrian space in the market. It could be glorious!
Now THAT is a plan!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2519  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 8:33 PM
CastlesintheSky CastlesintheSky is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 70
I love the idea of moving The Bay into Nordstrom's old space.
It's not the foot traffic Canadian Behemoth it used to be, so it doesn't need the current space it has. That whole side of the Block should be re-developed as you said.

I'm probably in the Minority here, but I am sad they weren't ever able to bring an updated theatre back into the Rideau centre. I'm certainly dating myself here, but I have fond memories of going both to that theatre with friends, and also the one at World Exchange Plaza. With those two gone, there isn't much in the area that plays new release movies. You'd have to go to Lansdowne for that, which isn't the easiest for people in the Market these days. Even if just a 4 screen theatre, it could have been something quite fun and increase foot traffic. If I ever won the lottery, that would be something I'd do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2520  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 10:09 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I still say move the HBC there temporarily and completely redevelop the Rideau/Sussex/George/Freiman block (HBC+old Chapters) Demolish it down to the facades and build a completely new structure behind them with underground connection to the LRT, superior interface with the ByWard Market, enough underground parking to replace all the surrounding surface street parking plus loading bays to create more pedestrian space in the market. It could be glorious!
I'd like to keep the old Freiman Building as is. Maybe open up the middle for a courtyard, restore the George Street side to the old brick and windows, but keep the rest. Chapters/Woolworth should get two extra floors, adding a bit of density while preserving the Freiman's sign. I'd demolish the Freiman Mall to build a new podium and tower (maybe 12 floors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesintheSky View Post
I'm probably in the Minority here, but I am sad they weren't ever able to bring an updated theatre back into the Rideau centre. I'm certainly dating myself here, but I have fond memories of going both to that theatre with friends, and also the one at World Exchange Plaza. With those two gone, there isn't much in the area that plays new release movies. You'd have to go to Lansdowne for that, which isn't the easiest for people in the Market these days. Even if just a 4 screen theatre, it could have been something quite fun and increase foot traffic. If I ever won the lottery, that would be something I'd do.
I'd also like to see a first run cinema Downtown. My first choice would be Place de Ville. I'd be happy with LeBreton or the Rideau Centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.