Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC
No I missed that boat and feel utterly hopeless. I will probably never get to own in my lifetime unless a massive housing correction happens or the feds start building "war time" homes again! Even with a decent paying job and a partner who also has a good government job were are priced out.
No one should be hoarding property and letting it sit vacant driving up housing costs artificially by creating scarcity. Especially when there isn't close to enough housing in the first place to house everyone in this country!
There are too many homes and condos owned by foreign investors just sitting empty especially in the larger cities. There is a CBC documentary about these ghost towers and homes.
Hit them hard enough with tax rates and maybe they will end up for sale again giving some people a chance to not just own but actually live in them WHICH IS THE PURPOSE OF HOUSING... not a get rich scheme monopolized by the wealthy from within Canada and outside of Canada!
EDIT: And don't get me started on AIR B&B's glad to see cities finally cracking down on them!
|
very very few properties in Hamilton are likely owned by foreign investors.
I just somewhat take issue with your point that it is property owners responsibility to house people. Personally, I feel like you should be allowed to do whatever you want with your own property. I've mentioned above that this tax unfairly targets people that may have a legitimate reason why they have two properties. I haven't seen that addressed yet in the by-law. Frankly, as others have mentioned, the by-law is probably unconstitutional at the core.
Finally, I haven't seen any studies from the city that would even justify the tax. How many properties even sit empty? How much money is this going to bring in? I suspect very little, there just isn't many vacant units in this city. Most people that own multiple properties likely already rent them out, as they want to make money. The only people who would even leave them empty probably have good reason to (they probably use them for part of the year and don't want a renter living in there).
It's just such a virtue signalling half baked tax measure.