HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 8:23 PM

I usually don't like talking politics, but since there's not a lot of development news to discuss, I will insert my humble opinion. I remember Rocky Anderson being very good on social issues. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. However, Rocky was not good for development. I remember him fighting tooth and nail against the City Creek Center development. City Creek is a home run in regards to quality mix use and has been great for down town. He even fought against the bridge across Main Street that connects both sides of City Creek. Not sure why he thought that bridge was going to destroy Salt Lake. Anyway, Rocky's short comings are with business and urban development and he was divisive. I don't think Erin is perfect, but I think she has made an effort on bringing sides together and has been pro-development. She probably is not as strong on social issues that Rocky was, but overall, I think she is better for the city compared to Rocky. However, I am 100% certain that Rocky and Erin are both much better than Michael Valentine!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 3:30 AM
Lahaina Strong

Here's progress on the North Capitol Building and Capitol Plaza.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 7:47 AM

I will likely vote for Mendenhall again, but as with most elections, it's more of an anti-Rocky vote than a pro-Erin vote. I am definitely concerned about Rocky's general view on development and urban issues. And I don't think he can come anywhere close to dealing with the homelessness issue as he claims. Maybe he had some success with those things when he was mayor, but in that time, the issue has become increasingly more complex and the cost of living in Salt Lake City has skyrocketed. I fear he will present old-school solutions to new-school problems. I was young when he was mayor before, so I don't know much about how he dealt with the day-to-day issues of the city, but I also have always gotten the perspective that he loves to be the center of attention and hear himself talk.

Mendenhall is underwhelming in many ways and I don't like how she deals with homelessness. She's far too pro-police for my liking as well. And as others have said, she works well with others, but Comrade does have a point that maybe it's to her detriment at times as she can come across as a pushover. But she's also an advocate for the kinds of urban ideals I want to see in the city, and unlike Rocky, doesn't see development as the enemy. I also think she has been doing more than people give her credit for to deal with the day-to-day issues of the city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post

Thanks for the photo updates!

I really do not like the east and west legislative buildings built in the early 2000s. If you're going for the classical look of the original building, go all the way. Features like cornices, columns, entablature, roof, etc should match the design and scale of the original structure. Don't add one modern element like the glass entry wall. Either go all the way classical or all the way modern. Two completely modern structures would be better than what we have now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 5:20 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Sanctioned homeless camp coming to Station Center in west Downtown

https://buildingsaltlake.com/sanctio...west-downtown/

We now know the site of the Salt Lake City’s first sanctioned camp for people experiencing homelessness – Redevelopment-agency owned land at the development site known as Station Center.

The northeast corner of 300 South and 600 West is at the center of future development plans of UTA, the RDA, and private land owners who have been trying to get projects out of the ground for over a decade.

State and city leaders are holding a press conference today at 2:15pm at the site to announce their plans. Here’s what we know from sources inside city hall, including one senior official.

Denver model

The site will be in effect for only six months, after which the state has pledged to find another location on state-owned land. According to the senior official, that is likely to be under a freeway overpass on UDOT property.

The site will be limited to 50 campers, who will be vetted by an operator that the state will be hiring. People will be housed in individual shelters that resemble both a tent and shed, which will have electricity, heating and air conditioning. Bathrooms will be communal, and it is unclear whether there will also be kitchen facilities.

The shelters are collapsible so they can be moved and stored relatively easily, said the senior official.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:27 PM

Just my opinion but I think they've struck the perfect balance with the side annexes and the new museum. Not only the materials but the design, the articulations, and the massings complement the Capitol perfectly. At the very least the Utah Capitol Campus is a huge improvement over what we see in most of the Capitol annex additions around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 4:24 AM

The sugarhouse Wells Fargo will be moved out December 11 - not sure why it was pushed back so far but I think the date is set in stone atp. It has probably been discussed here but these articles from February about Harbor Bay acquiring the property are new to me. It sounds like they will do something really special with the site and maybe we will get the mass timber there instead of at the base of the U (I assume that project is dead as they actually acquired this property). The site is currently zoned for 229 residential units but maybe they will try to go bigger? This corner deserves something really special

Harbor Bay Ventures Acquires Salt Lake City Site

Harbor Bay Ventures picks up development land in Salt Lake City, Utah

Harbor Bay Converting SLC Office to Apartments

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 3:58 PM

Utah Tops list of Happiest States the Hill
https://thehill.com/changing-america...ppiest-states/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 11:56 PM
Lahaina Strong

Today's photos:

Alta Stone:

The crossing at 9th:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 4:23 AM
Lahaina Strong

Abatement of the old School Of Medicine to begin next month followed by demolition in the spring.

Forever pissed that we went from this:

To this:

Hopefully we get a hospital expansion to cover that shorter portion of the Ambulatory Care Center that was meant to merge with the cancelled building. Still, the three buildings constructed/planned to replace 521 (School of Medicine) have resulted in a 90,000sqft increase in space. Between HELIX, Ambulatory Care, and new School of Medicine there will be a total of 740,000sqft. 521 has 650,000sqft.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 8:25 AM

I don't see anything egregiously wrong with the 2nd one.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
It sounds like they will do something really special with the site and maybe we will get the mass timber there instead of at the base of the U
I'm a big fan of mass timber, bring it on!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 11:50 PM
They all float down here

I actually like the second one better lol

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 11:48 AM

I didn't have a problem with the first one but I like the second one better too.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 18, 2023 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 6:18 PM

Lagoon’s Primordial is officially open. Here’s what the ride is like

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/9/...ource=hs_email

Julie Freed, director of special events, cuts the ribbon for Lagoon’s newest ride, Primordial,
on its opening day at the amusement park in Farmington on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023.Megan Nielsen, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; Sep 18, 2023 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 6:42 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the first one but I like the second one better too.
I'm with Paniolo Man. The first is better because it would have connected directly with the Ambulatory Care Center. The design is also more monumental and clean, imo, with less space dedicated to cars.

The second design is fine but continues the U of U tradition of having a great master plan and ignoring it. Each building on campus is built without any consideration for its context. See the "Kahlert Village" as a primary example.

Also, the newer Kem Gardner building that replaced OSH was, and continues to be, a huge miss. I can't think of a better location on the campus for a monumental, iconic clock tower. The U still needs a signature building and one in that spot would have been perfectly positioned over the library plaza. Instead, we get a brown and gray wall of a building.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 6:44 PM
Space Magi

Here's a rendering of the forthcoming computer science building that I hadn't seen:

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 8:00 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

The second one is fine. The first one is better.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 8:35 PM

A Progressive Icon Returns to Western Politics

Quote:
Former Salt Lake City mayor Rocky Anderson is running for his former office on a mission to confront the city’s housing crisis.

Seventeen years ago, I traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah, to write a profile of Rocky Anderson, one of America’s most radical mayors. At the time, Anderson had made a name for himself by opposing the Iraq war and pushing a range of progressive policy priorities—on housing, criminal justice reform, drug policy, and many other issues.

Nearly a generation later, Anderson is, once again, running for mayor. This time around, his signature issue is housing the homeless and finding viable policy solutions to tackle the growth of encampments in Salt Lake City. His campaign might be something of a long shot—Mayor Erin Mendenhall has a far larger campaign operation and is raking in more than twice as much cash in donations. But the onetime mayor still holds a residue of goodwill from the early 2000s, when he had approval ratings of nearly 60 percent.

Anderson, now nearly 72 years old, has also built up tremendous political capital among progressives during the 15 years that he has been out of office. He ran for president on the Justice Party ticket in 2012, in a symbolic act of protest against what he saw as President Obama’s mishandling of the post-2008 financial crisis, and against foreign policy-as-normal priorities. He founded the High Road for Human Rights, an organization intended to push the US to prioritize human rights in its foreign policy dealings and in its domestic policies around issues such as the War on Terror. Closer to home, he set up shop as a civil rights attorney, working on a number of high profile cases around police violence, draconian drug sentences, and so on, for which he was awarded the Leonard Weinglass Civil Rights Award. He has also won a drug policy award from the reform-minded Drug Policy Alliance. Throughout, he has been an outspoken advocate for the rights of homeless people: At times, he has even gone to sites where police were raiding homeless encampments in order to videotape the arrests.

For all of these reasons, Anderson can articulate tough truths, without being lambasted by progressives for doing so, in a way that few other politicians can. Think of it as his own version of the Nixon-goes-to-China strategy.

In 2023, that means that Anderson is running for office against Mayor Mendenhall—a fellow Democrat, but one whom Anderson has come to view with deep distrust—in large part to challenge what he sees as her dismal record on homelessness. He decries what he says is her cruelty in how she deals with the thousands of homeless residents in Salt Lake City; the last point-in-time count estimated nearly 3,700 people were homeless, with nearly 1,000 of them living on the streets, a 96 percent increase from 2019–22. Many thousands more experience at least some days and nights of homelessness in any given year. Amid this crisis, he is deeply angered by the orders given to police to clear the streets of homeless residents and the examples that have accumulated in recent months of law enforcement deliberately discarding the property of the homeless. Anderson, who has made a point to get to know many of these men and women, speaks of some whose blankets and warm clothing were thrown away in the dead of winter, and of the huge numbers among them who have lost limbs, fingers, or toes, to frostbite. “I don’t think that Salt Lake City has ever been at such a moral low point when it comes to the treatment of those most in need in this country,” he says. “Salt Lake City is on track to becoming very much like what we’re seeing in Los Angeles and San Francisco.”

In the area surrounding his downtown office, Anderson says, he has been seeing “more and more people living in the streets. I found there had been no outreach workers trying to help them transition from their situation on the streets into anything better.” On those streets, he said, he would see human feces and urine, due to a dearth of public toilets. Increasingly, he would hear stories of violence and of crime. Yet, when he started writing to the mayor and to the council explaining what he saw as the needs of the homeless population, he received no response. “I was appalled by the lack of caring or concern about what was happening to our city. It was becoming more and more degraded as the condition of the homeless population was becoming absolutely untenable.” In light of the scale of the crisis, Anderson lambasts the mayor for her inability to create a working infrastructure of supportive housing, mental health services, drug treatment programs and street interventions to tackle the underlying problems that have led to the proliferation of encampments and the political backlash by residents and businesses.

The issue is one has permeated the American West, and is creating political fissures in one city after the next. In the city in which I live, Sacramento, the district attorney is on the verge of suing the city because of what he sees as the mayor and council’s failure to treat encampments as a public nuisance and to protect homeowners who have large numbers of people camped out on the sidewalks in front of their houses.

Anderson is running for his old job on an avowedly carrot-and-stick approach to homelessness. The ex-mayor, who has spent a lifetime working on social justice issues and furnishing progressive explanations to accompany his policies, can call for more services for the homeless while simultaneously demanding an increased role for law enforcement in carrying out drug policy, in order to mandate that homeless residents with substance abuse problems enter treatment programs. In the era of fentanyl, he sees no other way to reclaim city centers from the chaos of the encampments.

Yet, he says angrily, too often the police simply don’t respond anymore to low level crimes committed by the homeless. “There is a sense of impunity through the city now,” Anderson, long one of the most progressive voices in American urban politics, says. “Where people feel they can do anything they want without accountability, with no consequences.” Again, this isn’t a conservative speaking; this is one of the most storied progressive mayors in recent American history.

In his first two terms in office, Anderson implemented a remarkably progressive agenda in one of the most conservative states in the country. He didn’t just talk the talk but in the most tangible ways walked the walk—improving public transit, pushing for more ambitious environmental policies, reimagining the core of the city. Now, he is campaigning largely around the promise to eliminate all homeless encampments in Salt Lake City, replacing them with temporary secure sanctioned camps far from central city neighborhoods, camps that would provide toilets, showers, storage lockers, transportation, food, professional outreach, and case management to all residents as they attempt to get their lives on track.

“I know what a mayor can do when working hard and committed to an issue,” Anderson says. “It’s up to a mayor to convene all relevant parties, marshal whatever resources can be devoted to the issue and implement a plan known by the whole community. There’s not been a coherent plan by the mayor in four years, as to what’s to be done.”
https://www.thenation.com/article/po...n-mayor/tnamp/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 9:08 PM

Hey, just a thought about the University of Utah Medical Center and the University Campus. I think I like the first proposal better for the medical center. However, I would just like to say that in my opinion the entire University Campus has made a huge transformation in the past 40+ years. I graduated from the U in the late 80's and the campus and medical center are un-recognizable now compared to then. I think the University has transformed into one of the best college campuses in the country. Part of that is all the amazing architecture with many new building over the years. I have been on many college campuses the U stands out to me as the best. It's great to be a Ute!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West