Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown
Yeah. Frankly, I don't think of the region as sprawling either. At this point, there's so much land preservation in the PA suburbs that many townships are built out even though they look green on maps. I'm thinking specifically of Southern Chester County. I mean, the Brandywine Conservancy and other organizations (and even individual townships) have been at it for years...gobbling up farms and untouched wooded areas and wetlands in the name of preventing overdevelopment. I mean, this is uniformly the case in the areas around Chadds Ford, Kennett Square, Unionville, and even parts of West Chester (at least those west of West Chester). Driving south on Rt 1, you probably have to get all the way nearly to Oxford to be in an area where you can sort of build in an unfettered way but once you get that far out, there's no point in being there. It's just too disconnected.
Edit to add: Do other regions even have the same type of land preservation efforts? I have distinct memories when I was growing up of individual townships issuing bonds (always approved by voter referendum) with the explicit purpose of buying open land to preserve it. These would be like 10, 20, 30 million dollar bonds with expressed purpose of buying open space. Usually, it was well known which farms/land the bonds were being used to acquire. There was a strong undercurrent or awareness that maintainining sprawling infrastructure was more expensive than anyone ever acknowledges and another driving factor was limiting growth in the school districts (i.e. an argument to keep taxes low by not having to build more schools etc). It's quite progressive when you think about it and it's probably one of the driving factors as to why so much of the region's development has moved inward over the years.
|
I am not sure about the second part. I hope other regions engage in some sort of open space preservation efforts. And not motivated by total NIMBYism, but for the benefit of a region and ecosystem.
I meant to say in my first post, while great that sprawl is limited around Philadelphia, there should also be less pushback toward denser infill development in the the more urban walk-able centers, like Ardmore. The Philadelphia region is a desirable place to live (and people gotta live somewhere), and if current residents don't want 300 houses on open space, then they should compromise (and chill) when it comes to more houses and apartments in Ardmore, Media, West Chester, Swarthmore, etc.
I also wish there was a bigger push to develop housing on the sea of strip mall parking lots in solid suburbs like Aston, Plymouth Meeting, etc., I'll limit my tangent to that.