HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    Cunard Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #481  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 12:04 AM
bartekci bartekci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 213
Was also by this today. Honestly, I love it. It has quite a presence!

Am I correct in my placement that the raised beach is to go over the remaining open water that's between the new pedestrian bridge (right by Bicycle Thief?) and the existing board walk?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #482  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 10:48 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post

What jumps out for me is how badly dated and cheap-looking the Southwest Bishop's Landing development looks in this shot. It could almost pass for a Highfield Park Special in this view. Award-winning though. The '90s was sure a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #483  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 12:12 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Walked by this project yesterday and love the massing/design, but holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵 that seafoam, boring burnt orange and useless blue spandrels ruin what could have been something very special.

Blah.
Could not agree more! We have far too much of that here in Vancouver! Ages horribly too, really sad they could not have gone with more expensive and neutral glazing in such a prime location. Nowadays, here in Vancouver, that level of quality is reserved for social housing at best.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #484  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 1:26 PM
kzt79 kzt79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What jumps out for me is how badly dated and cheap-looking the Southwest Bishop's Landing development looks in this shot. It could almost pass for a Highfield Park Special in this view. Award-winning though. The '90s was sure a long time ago.
I generally agree with criticisms of our building design (/lack thereof). I'm curious, Keith - and others - what Halifax buildings do you actually like, if any? I find the Gorsebrook interesting, design-wise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #485  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:13 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What jumps out for me is how badly dated and cheap-looking the Southwest Bishop's Landing development looks in this shot. It could almost pass for a Highfield Park Special in this view. Award-winning though. The '90s was sure a long time ago.
Agree it doesn't look great in this shot, but I think in person it delivers a reasonable urban form: except for the sunken storefronts along the street... the materials look much better in person, and I'd not mistake them for a "Highfield Park Special" when out walking the waterfront.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #486  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:29 PM
Dartguard Dartguard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Was also by this today. Honestly, I love it. It has quite a presence!

Am I correct in my placement that the raised beach is to go over the remaining open water that's between the new pedestrian bridge (right by Bicycle Thief?) and the existing board walk?
No the Beach is planned for the Space that is still behind the construction fence. There is a surprising amount of laydown and workspace at the foot of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #487  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:40 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Agree it doesn't look great in this shot, but I think in person it delivers a reasonable urban form: except for the sunken storefronts along the street... the materials look much better in person, and I'd not mistake them for a "Highfield Park Special" when out walking the waterfront.
Yeah, it's certainly better quality than that, though it shares certain elements in common--especially the faux traditional architecture and low-density scale. But the materials are of a higher quality and the street interface is actually urban. It creates a genuinely pleasant little district. If done today the courtyard would probably be a public square or park instead of parking, and maybe there'd be parking undergrounded instead. The design would surely be more contemporary, and it would clearly be larger. Still, it's not a blight--just a product of its time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #488  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 2:02 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
I generally agree with criticisms of our building design (/lack thereof). I'm curious, Keith - and others - what Halifax buildings do you actually like, if any? I find the Gorsebrook interesting, design-wise.
Yes, the Gorsebrook is nice, in part due to its setting backing onto Gorsebrook Park but the street side design is also better than average. Of course the Councillor did his best to torpedo it at every opportunity, shamefully. I just noted looking at its thread here that 1BR units there sold new for $300K and myself and others thought that was a bit dear at the time. What did we know?

I still like the Vic Suites (I guess I'm a sucker for red glass balconies) and The Maple, though it has an '80s/'90s Toronto vibe to it. I like The George on Robie at Pepperell, and the Margretta is a lot better than its sister on Clyde St. I like the Curve but it could have been much improved with more tower height and a more compact podium level. I'll give an honorable mention to West 22 on Mumford because of its balcony configuration which makes it stand out due to its height.

While there has been a lot of development DT and elsewhere on the peninsula, there is a sameness to much of it and some, like The Roy and The Keep on Quinpool, were downright disappointing in terms of exterior design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #489  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 11:10 AM
kzt79 kzt79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, the Gorsebrook is nice, in part due to its setting backing onto Gorsebrook Park but the street side design is also better than average. Of course the Councillor did his best to torpedo it at every opportunity, shamefully. I just noted looking at its thread here that 1BR units there sold new for $300K and myself and others thought that was a bit dear at the time. What did we know?

I still like the Vic Suites (I guess I'm a sucker for red glass balconies) and The Maple, though it has an '80s/'90s Toronto vibe to it. I like The George on Robie at Pepperell, and the Margretta is a lot better than its sister on Clyde St. I like the Curve but it could have been much improved with more tower height and a more compact podium level. I'll give an honorable mention to West 22 on Mumford because of its balcony configuration which makes it stand out due to its height.

While there has been a lot of development DT and elsewhere on the peninsula, there is a sameness to much of it and some, like The Roy and The Keep on Quinpool, were downright disappointing in terms of exterior design.
Thank you for sharing! It seems your tastes are entirely in line with my own, apart from those red balconies on the Vic lol. I wish Curve/Pavilion could have been taller, and agree many of the Dexel builds are great.

I'm sure the time will come when the present $2M listing in Pavilion will look like a steal
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #490  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:22 AM
Arrdeeharharharbour Arrdeeharharharbour is offline
Cap the Cut!
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,156
I get a bit of a 1960's institutional vibe from the colour panels. I like it. Sorry that my camera doesn't capture the colour very well. I wonder if these coloured panels are specially created for this building or if they're 'off the shelf' meaning that these colours are in style elsewhere and I've just not seen them yet?


20230606_101737 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_101824 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_102207 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_102222 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_102235_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_102334 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230606_103134 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #491  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 7:24 PM
Mr.Zero33 Mr.Zero33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Waverley NS
Posts: 29
The harbour views will be amazing to those that can afford to live there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #492  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:15 PM
kzt79 kzt79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Zero33 View Post
The harbour views will be amazing to those that can afford to live there.
Agree! I guarantee this building will be full, and likely with a waiting list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #493  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 12:32 AM
Arrdeeharharharbour Arrdeeharharharbour is offline
Cap the Cut!
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,156
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #494  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:54 PM
bagofpotatoes bagofpotatoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 5
I was on the waitlist and they just updated their web site, you can see pricing here https://cunardresidences.southwest.ca/view-suites

the unit I was interested in is going for $6500. unit have too many walls for my liking, so I will pass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #495  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:56 AM
Feneant Feneant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
For what will be such an expensive and in demand building, they have without a doubt the worst website I've ever seen for people to view their suites. Why can't their be a link directly to see them- we've been following this building but for the life of me I can't see a single suite.

It says view floorplan but clicking that says there are none, the building has blue dot, clicking them shows random pictures.

It's like they have no interest in actually renting the apartments...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #496  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 10:48 AM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
For what will be such an expensive and in demand building, they have without a doubt the worst website I've ever seen for people to view their suites. Why can't their be a link directly to see them- we've been following this building but for the life of me I can't see a single suite.

It says view floorplan but clicking that says there are none, the building has blue dot, clicking them shows random pictures.

It's like they have no interest in actually renting the apartments...
I believe their interest is in “serious” renters. I met with their rental agent and was granted access to images, floor plans and prices of only the units I was most interested in. Even that access was time-limited. The building has impressive amenities and beautiful views. I was less impressed by the units, many including bedrooms without windows. Still, from what I could see, they are having no problem filling the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #497  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 11:40 AM
Jreeb Jreeb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I believe their interest is in “serious” renters. I met with their rental agent and was granted access to images, floor plans and prices of only the units I was most interested in. Even that access was time-limited. The building has impressive amenities and beautiful views. I was less impressed by the units, many including bedrooms without windows. Still, from what I could see, they are having no problem filling the building.
I'm able to see prices, floorplans, views from the unit, and even a 3D rendering of the building and where the unit is located on the site. I'll try and attach the link to the page I am on. I had to click the "View Floorplan List" blue button on the top right.

I think the views facing north surpass the views facing south for most units. I wish more developments incorporated this "views" tab on their renting site. I'm also surprised to see some studio units going for a cheaper rate than older studio units in CAPREIT buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #498  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 1:51 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
For what will be such an expensive and in demand building, they have without a doubt the worst website I've ever seen for people to view their suites. Why can't their be a link directly to see them- we've been following this building but for the life of me I can't see a single suite.

It says view floorplan but clicking that says there are none, the building has blue dot, clicking them shows random pictures.

It's like they have no interest in actually renting the apartments...
I was able to view the plans... though it felt like it took a long time for the website to load... I think the easiest way for me was to select "View Floorplan" button on the upper right corner of the 3d image of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #499  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:28 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Not the best shot from across the harbour. I see on Instagram they had a topping out party this week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #500  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:10 PM
ns_kid's Avatar
ns_kid ns_kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 553
Stone cladding has now been installed on the south and east sides of the Cunard building. It looks like a high quality finish and makes a nice impression on the waterfront.

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.