HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 4:26 AM

Great work Orlando! These look great! Can't wait for this project to get underway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I noticed earlier this week there were construction workers inside the scorched remains of the sugar alley apts project. They didn't seem to be doing any major work but maybe it is the start of something. I believe a few months ago nearby businesses suggested construction would resume around aug/sept.
I didn't snap any pics but they have definitely started rebuilding. They are putting up walls and framing on the northern section of the building. I am glad that it started back up on a reasonable timeline. I think this will truly do wonders for downtown sugarhouse especially as it has been a mess for a few years atp. If any construction ppl here know, why are they starting on the north section this time around when they started on the south prior to the fire?

Last edited by rockies; Aug 18, 2023 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 4:03 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

A couple of awesome pics of Astra and Worthington.

Pic by u/chaunceton.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...from_95_state/

Pic by u/manuel945.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...t_lake_rising/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 12:26 PM

Thanks Blah, Reeder, and Orlando for the great updates! Anyone know if there has been progress on the North Temple Sparks Project since its groundbreaking?

Update - Downtown Adj., North Temple TRAX Corridor - The Mixed-Use SPARK Apts. Moving Forward - By Brinshore Development

Whitney Weller, Senior VP at Brinshore, told us that they “in conversations with Neighborhood House for the child care space,” adding that they are “also speaking with other non profit organizations as well as food focused enterprises that would complement the residential community.”

SPARK! Provides high density mixed-income, workforce housing with 50 percent of its units designated affordable. The color, materiality, and texture of SPARK! takes its cues from the industrial and durable materials of the adjacent power plant including brick, steel, and metal panel nodding to the past in a clean modern format. The weathered timeless look of Coreten steel and dark charcoal brick at the base are offset by light metal paneling with bright colored accents on the higher massings, which is softened by lushly landscaped terraces and roof gardens that are home to bee hives, providing fresh vegetables and honey to the residents. The community fronts Temple Street and the transit station with a small urban plaza and street-facing retail, which opens to a courtyard shared by tenants and customers alike. Open space along the ground floor on the north side of the community is reserved for bike trails and edible gardens that include fruit-bearing trees, rosemary, sage and lavender. Providing residents and the public a place to stop and soak in the aromas of the garden and deepening the connection between the established and the new. The units on the upper floors are arranged in a large “U” shape surrounding a private residential courtyard and numerous roof terraces. SPARK!’s building composition reflects the varied uses of daycare, retail and housing. Each function is expressed in a clear building massing and highlighted by a change in materials. This new community, immediately adjacent to TRAX transit station, with ground floor childcare and grab and go retail, caters to the young family and commuting professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah_amazing View Post

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/cit...howinspection=

Commercial demolition permits filed to demolish the overnighter motel located at 1500 w north temple. This is the site of the planned spark! Development.

Updated June 20, 2022 - Facts :
- Density: 86 du/ac
- Unit Plan Sizes: 500 - 1,200 sq. ft.
- Number of Units: 200 du
- Site Area: 2.3 ac
- Retail: 14,000 sq. ft.
- Number of Stories: 6
- Parking: 100 spaces, 1st floor parkiing structure
- On the building’s west side along Cornell, site plans show 5700 sf for a ...daycare facility.
- Construction Type: III

State of Property before demolition. Example of what was the past development setup of much of the north temple corridor
before the advent of light rail from downtown to the airport. This transit corridor is now redeveloping at a breakneck pace.

September 28, 2021

Site Prep & / Demolition

Photo By RC14

February 28, 2023 - Groundbreaking

SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City leaders and developers broke ground Tuesday on a new multi-use, multi-income project backed by $15.5 million city funds. The development hopes to include multi-income housing, retail, childcare opportunities, and other amenities...Salt Lake City District 1 Councilwoman, Victoria Petro, says the housing should be affordable for many based off the area's median income.

"If we look at the [median incomes] that will be served here, it goes from 20% up to 80%," Petro said. "Those are certainly the families that are being displaced. It's not just preventing their displacement, but it's allowing them to stay in their community in a dignified beautiful new rejuvenative way."

...Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall says before developments like Sparks begin, the city reaches out to the community to see what residents need and want in their neighborhoods.

"What I would say in terms of the broader development of this area is we asked the neighborhood what they need and what they want, and then when the city invests its investing in those very things the neighborhood community asked for," said Mendenhall.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 2:51 PM

I drove past the Spark site the other day. They have started to place shoring for the 2nd floor. No pictures though.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
This is always my favorite phase of tower construction. So cool, kinda wish it stayed like this lol.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 9:20 PM

And it's already changed. The concrete pump was removed today, and they're peeling the form structures off now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
This is always my favorite phase of tower construction. So cool, kinda wish it stayed like this lol.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
And it's already changed. The concrete pump was removed today, and they're peeling the form structures off now.
Are you still able to get pictures of Astra from the Wells Fargo cam? I really liked and miss those images!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 7:08 AM
Lahaina Strong

No posts in 2 days?

Must have been a pretty exciting weekend.

More photo updates this week. For now here's a reminder of where Astra and Convexity were a year ago today:

Amazing change a year makes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
This North Korea building sat unfinished in this state for 16 years from 1992 to 2008. Be careful what you wish for

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2theSKY View Post
Are you still able to get pictures of Astra from the Wells Fargo cam? I really liked and miss those images!
Sure, it's streaming now at: http://youtube.com/dakben

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:35 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
....and here's a screenshot from the livestream.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks! It's a bittersweet moment. Glad it has progressed to this point, but wish it could continue for at least 10 more floors.

Hopefully you will do another live when they start placing the crowns metal beams!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2theSKY View Post
Thanks! It's a bittersweet moment. Glad it has progressed to this point, but wish it could continue for at least 10 more floors.

Hopefully you will do another live when they start placing the crowns metal beams!
Shoot me a message when you want to watch, and I'll fire it up.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 5:57 PM
Lahaina Strong

I know there has been a lot of Astra lately, but I really liked this angle I got yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 10:47 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
This North Korea building sat unfinished in this state for 16 years from 1992 to 2008. Be careful what you wish for
We already have that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 4:02 PM

Comrade, that gave me a good laugh. So sad but so true. Three buildings in a row there haha

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:14 PM
NIMBY Hater

Steel going up at the top of Astra Tower.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Steel going up at the top of Astra Tower.
available at http://youtube.com/dakben

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 8:07 PM

Astra Tower and Liberty Sky

It's funny how short and stubby Liberty Sky looks now that Astra is close to topping out. Talk about beauty and the beast!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West