Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford
I don't know if this is a local thing, but when we bought our apartment, we wrote a letter with family pics, and included very personal info. It was also partially in Portuguese (my wife speaks/writes it and we knew the sellers were Brazilian). The sellers hinted that the letter/pics helped seal the transaction. The agent encouraged the letter/photos and said most of her client offers include something personal.
|
This gets back to my comment in this (or maybe another) thread - you can delete redlining but
people will still self-segregate. No law orders us to sell our homes to the highest offer.
I was out for a walk a few months ago and commented to a guy who was moving out of a house that "I almost bought that house back in 2013". He was like yeah, that's when I bought it. I said "wasn't it listed for like $75,000?" and he was like yeah, that's about what I paid for it.
He then told me that he was retiring to Alabama (weird) and turned down many offers for the house from institutional buyers and was selling it to a married couple with kids for about $50,000 less than what he could have gotten from the hedge funds.
I acted like I agreed with his choice but no way would I have done that. I have no more emotional attachment to the neighborhood (it's a college rental area) than anybody from out-of-town. I also didn't understand why a family with kids would want to live in a college rental area. It made me suspicious that this was a story he was telling people to look like he's "one of the good ones", or whatever, since he doesn't think anyone's actually going to look up the transaction on the Auditor's website.