HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4381  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 8:42 PM
Halsted & Villagio Halsted & Villagio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I only wish Pritzker could simultaneously be Mayor of Chicago. Although fortunately it seems Johnson has (so far) been mostly following Pritzker's advice.
This^... among other reasons... is why Brandon Johnson has won me over. I personally think he will be a transformative Mayor... possibly... POSSIBLY... the best Mayor this city has ever had. Yes, that's right... I said it. Why?

Part of being a good leader is being able to be humble enough to gather input from those with more experience (Pritzker) while at the same time implementing one's own ideas and plans. Johnson does that. The man listens... but at the same time he has vision and can be dogged and determined where necessary.

I am loving what I am seeing from him so far. Long way to go but so far so good. If anyone thought he was going to walk through the door and solve all of Chicago's problems (including crime) instantaneously, they were/are being disingenuous. People who want to blame him for the crime that we see, quite frankly, have an underlying agenda and were never for the man to begin with.

The problems going on with Chicago and crime... in my view... date back to well over a century (like bricks being laid one on top of another - year after year, day after day... not always easy to see - until one day a structure appears) and the genesis from those problems stems from overt/patent and/or latent systematic discrimination (racism) and resulting disinvestment, isolation and disenfranchisement. A city divided by a virtual red line, dividing those being given resources and investments, versus those perpetually overlooked. To rid this city of a problem this long, this complex, this deeply woven into fabric of Chicago if you will, requires a complex multi-level approach that will take time. Its practically impossible to solve a problem this complex, created over a century... within a few short months of an election. Resolving a problem this deeply complex, this deeply ingrained, could take many months... even a year or more... before we start seeing the crime level tick substantially down... way down. Moreover, regrettably, it is also one those things that could even (periodically) get marginally worse before it gets better but we have to stay the course.

Any plan to get at the "root cause" will require patience. A simple "lock em up" approach - pretty much more of the same - merely kicks the can down the road (something we have been doing for decades) and does not stop the violence BEFORE it happens. Only getting to the "root cause" will do this - stop it BEFORE it happens. Simple answers like hiring more Police (although I believe that is needed too), won't solve it. Brandon Johnson sees the need for a multi-level approach and he is actively implementing plans and initiatives to address the problem at its core - which will fix the problem for good!... once and for all - no more band aid fixes. This is good for ALL of Chicagoland... whether you live on the North Side, West Side, suburbs, etc.

Last thing.... I like that he is a consensus builder. I like how he is willing to work with EVERYONE. That is something that has sorely been lacking in previous Mayors... yes, Mayor(s) plural.

As someone who supported Vallas, from everything I have been seeing since he was elected -- Mayor Johnson was the right choice. I believe it is time to put hurt election feelings aside and get behind Johnson for the good of ALL Chicagoland. I know this won't happen but hey, what can I say... I am an optimist by nature. Back to my point -- what Mayor Johnson is attempting to do can be transformative... nothing short of remarkable.... if he pulls it off he will be potentially making Chicago one of the safest big cities IN THE ENTIRE WORLD... not just America... but the entire world!

That is worthy of being supported............

.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Jul 3, 2023 at 9:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4382  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:35 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
How much of JBs success is due to all the COVID funds the state got from the federal government though?
Any "success" JB has had is due to federal funds that are about to dry up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4383  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:26 PM
Klippenstein's Avatar
Klippenstein Klippenstein is offline
Rust Belt Motherland
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Any "success" JB has had is due to federal funds that are about to dry up.
Good thing he refilled the rainy day fund and got our credit upgraded so he can continue his success streak.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4384  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:40 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Good thing he refilled the rainy day fund and got our credit upgraded so he can continue his success streak.
While Illinois pensions continue to be be massively underfunded. And now the federal spigot is closed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4385  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 7:02 PM
Kenmore Kenmore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uptown
Posts: 653
triggered^ lol

just move already
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4386  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 11:08 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,050
So the NASCAR race seemed to be a big hit despite what was basically the worst weather possible. I briefly walked by it on Saturday (before catching a train out of town) and found it pretty interesting. I watched a little of the NBC broadcast and they couldn't stop gushing over Chicago. The skyline looked great.

I hope Johnson doesn't veto this thing and they come to terms for next year. I do agree the city should try and get a better deal though. The traffic didn't seem to be the nightmare everyone was worried about....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4387  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 11:14 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
So the NASCAR race seemed to be a big hit despite what was basically the worst weather possible. I briefly walked by it on Saturday (before catching a train out of town) and found it pretty interesting. I watched a little of the NBC broadcast and they couldn't stop gushing over Chicago. The skyline looked great.

I hope Johnson doesn't veto this thing and they come to terms for next year. I do agree the city should try and get a better deal though. The traffic didn't seem to be the nightmare everyone was worried about....
Agreed.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but if it helps showcase Chicago to people who otherwise wouldn't know any better, I'm all for it. In this instance, the press we got probably eclipsed whatever money it brought it. At least that's how I view it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4388  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 12:46 AM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Agreed.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but if it helps showcase Chicago to people who otherwise wouldn't know any better, I'm all for it. In this instance, the press we got probably eclipsed whatever money it brought it. At least that's how I view it.
It was the most watched NASCAR race on NBC in six years, peaking around 5.3 million viewers. I know they'll do an analysis on incremental tax revenue and such and it'll probably be far below the projections given the awful weather... but I'd still call this a big W for the city and for NASCAR. The traffic issues were pretty minor too... the only roads closed for a significant amount of time were the ones most here (including me) wish were closed year-around.

If the city and NASCAR can come to terms this could become NASCARs version of the Monaco Grand Prix. I'm on board with that kind of positive publicity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4389  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 12:50 AM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Agreed.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but if it helps showcase Chicago to people who otherwise wouldn't know any better, I'm all for it. In this instance, the press we got probably eclipsed whatever money it brought it. At least that's how I view it.
Between smoke week and the monsoon, this Fourth of July weekend was going to be a financial wash no matter what.

I don’t support paying billions for sports stuff, but I don’t see how NASCAR was any worse financially than a normal parade or festival or fireworks show, and we host plenty of those without complaint. As a city, we should give new events a chance to succeed even if the appeal isn’t obvious at first. I think the media and certain politicians were just butthurt, because NASCAR is coded as redneck entertainment. I can’t they would have complained so publicly about Formula 1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4390  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 2:17 PM
moorhosj1 moorhosj1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 531
Capitol Fax post on how the pre-election rhetoric we heard about Brandon Johnson may have been overblown. These new reactions are based on actual decisions he has made, compared to the election scaremongering.

Specifically, FOP president Catanzara:

Quote:
John Catanzara, the president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, said he was pleased with the mayor’s choice and offered no criticism.

“We’re glad it’s somebody that we know and know we can work with, somebody who I think the membership trusts and has faith that there’s hope in this department still,” Catanzara said.

He noted that Snelling quickly responded to a congratulatory text message on Sunday and called the union boss back to talk about next steps — a “night and day approach” from the past administration. Catanzara acknowledged that morale among the rank and file has already improved over the summer.

“[Mayor Johnson’s interim superintendent Larry Waller] absolutely made a concerted effort to repair the damage done — not only by Lightfoot, but by David Brown, to the FOP,” he said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4391  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 12:46 AM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
Capitol Fax post on how the pre-election rhetoric we heard about Brandon Johnson may have been overblown. These new reactions are based on actual decisions he has made, compared to the election scaremongering.

Specifically, FOP president Catanzara:
If there's one thing I don't want to see it's the new police chief sucking up to that imbecile.
__________________
"Deeply corrupt but still semi-functional - it's the Chicago way." -- Barrelfish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4392  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 2:48 PM
skysoar skysoar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
If there's one thing I don't want to see it's the new police chief sucking up to that imbecile.
If there is one thing, I don't want to see, it's the F.O.P leader continuing to make inflammatory statements excessively. You can be firm and resolved without being bombastic all the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4393  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 12:29 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
If there is one thing, I don't want to see, it's the F.O.P leader continuing to make inflammatory statements excessively. You can be firm and resolved without being bombastic all the time.
Exactly.
__________________
"Deeply corrupt but still semi-functional - it's the Chicago way." -- Barrelfish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4394  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 1:35 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,711
Surprised no mention of Maurice Cox resigning, even if it was rumored. Can't help but feel like this is the death knell for invest s/w
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4395  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:47 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,326
I'm surprised nobody has posted yet about Allison Arwady. I didn't know who she was until all of the news this week broke when Johnson unexpectedly fired her. Seems to be 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 people off simply because it appears as a retaliation from the CTU against Allison for dare suggesting..... that kids return to school during 2020.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/local/mayor-b...cagos-top-doctor-allison-arwady/3207186/

Johnson's response here is super weak, and he doesn't give a good answer as to why she was let go. Unless I am missing something here, it does smell very CTU fishy to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4396  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:55 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,711
also apparently the guy who was being floated as a possible replacement (dont know how accurate those rumors were) lied about his PhD credentials lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4397  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:47 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has posted yet about Allison Arwady. I didn't know who she was until all of the news this week broke when Johnson unexpectedly fired her. Seems to be 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 people off simply because it appears as a retaliation from the CTU against Allison for dare suggesting..... that kids return to school during 2020.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/local/mayor-b...cagos-top-doctor-allison-arwady/3207186/

Johnson's response here is super weak, and he doesn't give a good answer as to why she was let go. Unless I am missing something here, it does smell very CTU fishy to me.
Once a CTU stooge, always a CTU stooge.

Some gullible folks here didn't want to accept that truth.
__________________
"Missing middle" housing can be a marvelous middle ground for many middle class families.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4398  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 7:09 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Once a CTU stooge, always a CTU stooge.

Some gullible folks here didn't want to accept that truth.
I'm just glad Pritzker is governor, because Johnson is already proving many of us right who were concerned about his demeanor and hubris not aligning with his abilities or qualifications:

- Firing Arwady out of spite, essentially to please the CTU

- Her replacement is not qualified

- His response to the trashing of a south loop a couple of weeks ago was an embarrassment

I do not have faith in his abilities to lead Chicago, especially when the DNC happens late next summer. That will be a shitshow.
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4399  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 7:25 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Chicago Teachers executive director on 'do not hire' list at prior pension fund

"The executive director of Chicago Public School Teachers' Pension & Retirement Fund was placed on a "do not hire" list by his former employer, Illinois Teachers' Retirement System, after he had sent himself more than 300 emails containing retirement plan beneficiaries' Social Security numbers and internal committee meeting information.

The Office of Executive Inspector General for the Agencies of the Illinois Governor found that after Carlton W. Lenoir Sr. departed from Illinois Teachers, he was placed on the pension fund's "do not hire" list, according to the office's report dated June 27, 2022..."

https://www.pionline.com/pension-funds/c...ctor-do-not-hire-list-prior-pension-fund
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4400  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 8:00 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 7,603
I'm beginning to think that I'm qualified enough to run for mayor. . . do I have your support?

. . . be nice!

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.