HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8521  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 3:17 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Today’s departure count: 62

Today’s cancellation count: 5
     
     
  #8522  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 1:08 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Today’s departure count: 74

Today’s cancellation count: 2
     
     
  #8523  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 5:24 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 753
I love how PD now has more year-round destinations options than AC. I wonder how long it will take for PD to have more options in total and more daily departures.

In other news, I wrote to BA last week suggesting YOW-LHR. If they even take it with a smidgen of 0.00001% seriousness, it would be a win
     
     
  #8524  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 12:26 AM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
I love how PD now has more year-round destinations options than AC. I wonder how long it will take for PD to have more options in total and more daily departures.

In other news, I wrote to BA last week suggesting YOW-LHR. If they even take it with a smidgen of 0.00001% seriousness, it would be a win
There’s an Ottawa Business Journal article behind their paywall where apparently (heard this from someone else) Laroche says he’s cautiously optimistic about LHR returning in 2024. Anyone on here read it and can provide more info?
     
     
  #8525  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:01 AM
YowItaliano YowItaliano is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 57
     
     
  #8526  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:40 AM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
There’s an Ottawa Business Journal article behind their paywall where apparently (heard this from someone else) Laroche says he’s cautiously optimistic about LHR returning in 2024. Anyone on here read it and can provide more info?
I don’t see an obvious such article, but if you use iOS/Safari, go to the paywalled article, and select “Show Reader” in Safari’s menu…magic usually happens.
     
     
  #8527  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 1:53 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
There’s an Ottawa Business Journal article behind their paywall where apparently (heard this from someone else) Laroche says he’s cautiously optimistic about LHR returning in 2024. Anyone on here read it and can provide more info?
Very much hoping it’s not AC but it probably is.
     
     
  #8528  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:05 PM
RomanR27 RomanR27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,027
The quote from the article (using Google auto-translate so might be lacking nuance):

Quote:
Mr. Laroche does not hide the hope that the success of this link with the City of Light will act as a kind of locomotive to succeed in adding other popular European cities to Ottawa's offer, in particular by adding London, which was on the list of destinations just like Frankfurt before COVID-19 shook the planet.

“It may not be in the next few months, because these decisions, even for next year, have already been made. These are big assets for the airlines. Sometimes it happens at the last minute, like in the case of Paris, but it's not usual. It's a very competitive industry so they don't want to show their cards too fast. We definitely want to go back to England, the market is there and it was working well (before the pandemic). And the people who take the flight to Paris, they continue beyond France, but they do not retrace their steps to go to London”, mentions Mr. Laroche, who recalls that several airlines have suffered a lot in the last three years and are rebuilding their hubs as a priority.
To me it sounds like 2024 may be a pipe dream for LHR still.
     
     
  #8529  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:11 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
The quote from the article (using Google auto-translate so might be lacking nuance):



To me it sounds like 2024 may be a pipe dream for LHR still.
What I understood from the translation is that LHR and CDG won’t be in direct competition with one another because people using AF to CDG aren’t using it to get to LHR. So the two routes can coexist?
     
     
  #8530  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:19 PM
RomanR27 RomanR27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
What I understood from the translation is that LHR and CDG won’t be in direct competition with one another because people using AF to CDG aren’t using it to get to LHR. So the two routes can coexist?
I think they can coexist for sure, but the "It may not be in the next few months, because these decisions, even for next year, have already been made" line makes it sound like at this point it's not in the cards for 2024 unless something changes.
     
     
  #8531  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 2:35 PM
YOWflier's Avatar
YOWflier YOWflier is offline
Melissa: fabulous.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YOW/CYOW/CUUP
Posts: 3,196
If it’s to be AC reinstating LHR and/or FRA, and if they are indeed awaiting the A321XLR for this/these, then it won’t be 2024. Don’t ask me how I know.

If it’s to be a 788 or other then…maybe.
     
     
  #8532  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 3:16 PM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
What I understood from the translation is that LHR and CDG won’t be in direct competition with one another because people using AF to CDG aren’t using it to get to LHR. So the two routes can coexist?
They are in competition for transfer passengers. Anecdotally I know some frequent travellers are considering abandoning Air Canada and Star Alliance for Air France. Points west and south are still limited but if your trips are to Europe or Africa/Middle East Air France is starting to look good.
     
     
  #8533  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:39 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
They are in competition for transfer passengers. Anecdotally I know some frequent travellers are considering abandoning Air Canada and Star Alliance for Air France. Points west and south are still limited but if your trips are to Europe or Africa/Middle East Air France is starting to look good.
As they should. AC’s YOW-LHR connections in LHR is limited to Star Alliance and code share. AF to CDG has no limits. You’d think AC would move their a** because the people driving to YUL are not necessarily choosing AC for Europe. I also don’t know the number but I suspect AF is currently taking away some potential YOW feed in YYZ.
     
     
  #8534  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:54 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by YowItaliano View Post
Merci pour ceci!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
I don’t see an obvious such article, but if you use iOS/Safari, go to the paywalled article, and select “Show Reader” in Safari’s menu…magic usually happens.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
If it’s to be AC reinstating LHR and/or FRA, and if they are indeed awaiting the A321XLR for this/these, then it won’t be 2024. Don’t ask me how I know.

If it’s to be a 788 or other then…maybe.
I still think those are waiting for the XLR which would mean summer 2025 at the earliest. An XLR to LHR would cater to the O&D traffic, which pre-pandemic was YOW's largest international market at about 100k O&D pax/year. AC used to put a lot of non-Star interline partner connections thru LHR on the 767 back in the day.
     
     
  #8535  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 5:47 PM
RomanR27 RomanR27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
They are in competition for transfer passengers. Anecdotally I know some frequent travellers are considering abandoning Air Canada and Star Alliance for Air France. Points west and south are still limited but if your trips are to Europe or Africa/Middle East Air France is starting to look good.
I wonder if Delta will ever re-enter the market here, I think that would entice more people to make the switch who do US travelling as well. I also wonder if AF continues to have strong bookings on YOW but don't have the equipment to make it daily, if KLM would jump in 2-3x weekly so AF/KL could combine for daily service to Europe.
     
     
  #8536  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 6:35 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Today’s departure count: 77

Today’s cancellation count: 0
     
     
  #8537  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2023, 7:28 PM
fanofYOW fanofYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
I wonder if Delta will ever re-enter the market here, I think that would entice more people to make the switch who do US travelling as well. I also wonder if AF continues to have strong bookings on YOW but don't have the equipment to make it daily, if KLM would jump in 2-3x weekly so AF/KL could combine for daily service to Europe.
KLM and Delta would be amazing for my newly activated Flying Blue haha. Still not incentivizing enough to use WS. Also this idea of KLM coming in 2x weekly on days AF does not would be incredible. Much more so than AF going daily. At least this way we have an option for direct to Amsterdam.
     
     
  #8538  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 5:23 AM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,984
Today’s departure count: 72 - including a Rouge sub to YYZ at 1900

Today’s cancellation count: 5
     
     
  #8539  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 9:35 AM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
I wonder if Delta will ever re-enter the market here, I think that would entice more people to make the switch who do US travelling as well. I also wonder if AF continues to have strong bookings on YOW but don't have the equipment to make it daily, if KLM would jump in 2-3x weekly so AF/KL could combine for daily service to Europe.
DL maybe. I doubt YOW can support KLM and AF. Better for AF to just expand service and go daily to eventually double daily. They are one company. No point supporting multiple brands in a market like YOW.
     
     
  #8540  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 10:34 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Today’s departure count: 72 - including a Rouge sub to YYZ at 1900

Today’s cancellation count: 5
Does the information you draw from indicate what flights are cancelled? It would be interesting to know.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.