Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro
The time a train takes approaching a station and then the time spent at the station boarding passengers should be enough time to complete the traffic light cycles. Yet a lot of trips I have been on, the LTR stops immediately upon leaving a station. This happens quite frequently and should be more than avoidable. We're talking a good full minute for the lights to complete cycling.
|
What if the train stopped at the station already near the end of the cycle, so it was then at the beginning of the next cycle once it was ready to depart and had to wait at the red light? Or what if someone entering or exiting the train as the doors were closing messed it up for everyone and if they weren't there the train would have made it's green opening. Like I said there are a lot of variables.
Everything (vehicles, pedestrians, etc.) has a minimum time for green that is set or needed per cycle. The time for pedestrians is the easiest to understand. I'd imagine the priority of the trains is such that if it approaches a signalized intersection it automatically forces all other phases to their minimum times (and gets the train a green faster). Is there another system that is better out there? Maybe. I don't know what they've looked in to or have funding for etc. But I'm certain the LRT has some kind of priority.