HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:08 AM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Interior aside a portion of the exterior was demolished as well. Another question is whether these will operate as real buildings or will just be decorations hanging from another building with its own arrangement of space, entrances, etc.

I think in a lot of cities it would have been a no-brainer to preserve at least the Dennis Building as a registered heritage building, though hopefully this development will turn out nicely.
I can't see any reason why they would be constrained in any way by the exterior "decorations of buildings past". It wouldn't make sense at this point, as they are just building whatever they would have built if the lot were empty, with the only difference being that a couple small portions of the building will be decorated with cladding that has been in place for 180 years in some cases (for the lower floors of the Dennis). It's just a modern building with some interesting exterior features - that's it.

I am glad to see the empty lot being developed, but damn, it's disappointing to see what little respect that significant old buildings get in Halifax.

As an aside, when I read your comment about a portion of the exterior being demolished as well, I immediately thought of the ghost images of old buildings that once abutted the Dennis, that were clearly visible until recently. Apparently I'm the only one in the city who thinks that sort of thing is cool, but to me, there was a visible sign of the city's history right out there for all to see. Now it's landfill somewhere.
https://goo.gl/maps/bKoMTrDqcGEXMvU79
https://goo.gl/maps/PL7FXdVBLhjS6XxZ7

Honestly, my enthusiasm for Halifax has diminished somewhat over the past few years. I'm encouraged by some new developments like the Waverley Inn, but so disappointed that the people in charge of things here appear as though they would be just as happy to sweep the history of the city under the carpet so they can focus on whatever is the latest trendy planning bone to chew on.

While looking for info on the building, I stumbled across this article, which I found amusing in how obvious the futility of heritage designation is around here. Lots of self-congratulations, but little substance beyond the facade (just as in the building's case).
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.