Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13
I can understand how 900 Albert might have been a major obstacle, cutting into Melnyk's share while Ruddy is raking in the cash across the street. Putting that aside, I think Leeder got a pretty good deal for Melnyk. Considering he had the respect of the NCC and Trinity, Melnyk should have kept him on as a mediator to negotiate better terms around 900 Albert.
In any case, there was a business plan initially and the NCC either had no way of knowing it would blow up. We could argue that they decided to ignore the elephant in the room that was a. 900 Albert and/or b. Melnyk is unstable and/or broke.
|
I tend to think the whole premise was flawed. The idea that profits from condos or apartments (probably built at the rate of about one building per year) would be sufficient to fund major amenities, particularly when no other developer in the city is expected to fund significant public amenities, including 900 Albert.