Quote:
Originally Posted by s211
And here perhaps the crux of the issue, or at least one that gets very little acknowledgement: people think we can build new apartment supply to fix the affordability issue, but stop and think for a moment that maybe it's not shoebox apartments that people want. Not everyone wants to live in cubbyholes. In fact, a whole heck of a lot of people don't want to.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull
Personally, I was priced out of the City of Vancouver years ago. I wound up relocating to the North Shore (North Van City) which offered much of the upside of the city, but with cheaper housing costs. At the time, the costs to rent and/or buy were much cheaper. Yet folks in the City would dismiss a place like Lower Lonsdale out of hand, on the grounds that they could not possibly leave the urban center. In other words, if you were a middle-income earner, you could either a) buy outside of the city limits, or East/South Van; or b) rent in the city.
|
It's doesn't have to be a choice of cubbyhole in CoV vs house with yard out in the Fraser Valley. When I was looking for a place I honed in on Burnaby along the Expo Line - central so I could get to most areas via transit easily, and not as expensive as CoV (plus I'd lived here before and liked the area). I also avoided looking at new buildings due to size - I've seen 2 bedroom suites listed nowadays that are almost the same size as my 1 bedroom suite. There's also quite a bit of open space here that makes up for the lack of a private yard.
There are options if people can get over the fact that the CoV is not the center of the universe. But as has been noted, that elitism exists.