Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal
I'll disagree. I don't care at all about it being on potential farmland. It simply goes against the good parts of our region's planning objectives. It's easy to look at it and find some supporting conditions, and to shrug at the negatives stacked against it. What this says is simply that this mall isn't going to ruin the Lower Mainland. But, so what? It’s a mistake on every principled planning position.
They have a right to do it, they are, soon it will be part of our city, it won't destroy our city, it will succeed or fail, life will go on. But it’s an idiotic development that is 90 times wrong for every right it can claim.
As a nit pick: your 50,000 base population is a pittance relative to what they are building.
|
Yah I dunno I guess we'll see. I'm not as convinced as you are clearly. I don't think most people here have actually read the regional growth strategy as presented by Metro Vancouver.
They would quickly realize that by 2040 it is expected that Tsawwassen alone needs to grow by 30,000+ people. That would make South Delta have a population of over 125,000 people (when combined with what they expect Ladner and TFN to grow by). Is that reasonable? I doubt it. But right now there is little to no access to big-box retailers in South Delta. You have to go to Richmond or South Surrey. So today that's 50,000 people that have to jump in their cars and drive 15km+ to go shopping at the big box stores or basically what people are griping about with this development but in reverse.
So from the regional plan perspective, this isn't quite as insane as people are making it out to be.
If people are going to argue this is against the regional plan I think they should actually read it first. They'd also quickly realize that the TFN and Tsawwassen area are already slated by the regional plan to increase in population and add far more than 5,000 units. It isn't sprawl if it is in this supreme regional plan isn't it?
People can't be jumping up and down saying "BOO BAD SPRAWL" then in another sentence saying "THEY NEED TO STICK TO THE METRO REGIONAL PLAN!" because in respect to South Delta you're actually contradicting yourself.
So if you say this and the development in TFN is against principled regional planning then you're in essence saying the Metro Vancouver regional plan is 🞵🞵🞵🞵. If you are then OK valid opinion.