Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind
SOSS, if the Yellowhead north and the #1 east were built to the same standard all the way to their respective major cities (Edmonton and Calgary) it'd be the same travel time. It would reduce travel time from Vancouver to Edmonton by 2.5 hours. I'd argue the Yellowhead would be easier to build up because it is comparatively flat and open all the way from Kamloops to Valemount.
Kev, that's unfortunate. I think it would be neat to be able to drive the old #1 all the way from Horseshoe Bay to the AB border.
|
My last post was a bit confusing. Yes, the Yellowhead makes sense to upgrade (after Hwy 1 IMO). The old Hwy 23 as a Hwy 1 alternative does not make sense.
Yes, I would like to see Hwy 1, 3, 5/16, 97 all upgraded to full freeway standard. But in the reality we live in with limited resources focus the upgrading on Hwy 1 (for best access to rest of Canada) and Hwy 97 (for best access to resource rich northern BC). Continue to do minor upgrades to rest where appropriate especially for safety improvements.