Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend
I don't see this a big boon for the Rideau Centre. The Rideau Centre benefits from the new stores and the growing number of condos in the area. But the days of downtown shopping are long gone for most of the city. It is simply too difficult to get there from the suburbs and too expensive to park. And yes, I remember the days when downtown shopping was routine. But traffic has gotten a lot worse over the years.
|
There was an era when downtown shopping was the norm for suburbanites' everyday essentials, in living memory? Wow. Given that even Kingston is too big for that to work now, I would have thought it had been at least 50 years since it was normal for suburbanites to go downtown to buy milk.
In any case, in Ottawa, and indeed in all North American cities, downtown shopping is about 1) local needs of the downtown population, and 2) speciality/high-end desires of the whole city.