HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 2:30 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norshorer View Post
I think there's a stigma in the Maritimes when it comes to big American chain restos. People around here are on either too much of a health kick or are too "NIMBY" to allow these chains to succeed. Most take a stance that if it isn't Canadian, it doesn't belong here.

Overall, big American chains that succeed out in Western Canada only succeed due to Western Canadians being more "accepting" of foreign concepts. Well, the larger demographic & cultural melting pots out there likely have a big role to play in that as well.
I think our problem is that most of these chains need local franchisees with unencumbered cash of a million dollars or so. This limits the pool of potential entrepreneurs quite significantly. Also, we lack the regional population density and the larger urban areas where chains like the ones we are talking about generally would want to go first. Geographic isolationism is another factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norshorer View Post
It seems the only restos that are able to open here are ones that already exist and that's what's driving me nuts. Like how many damn Subways, McDonalds & pizza joints does the Greater Moncton Area need? Enough already... give us something DIFFERENT. I'm sure if a kale-based resto or an organic salad-only resto would open up in Moncton, they'd be packed 24/7, but an American chain we've never seen here before? I doubt it.
I hear ya. How many Subway's and Mickey D's do we really need in metro Moncton. I think we have 13 Subways and, with the new McDonald's opening on Dieppe Blvd, a total of 9 McDonald's in the city. Don't even get me started on Timmie's (34 and counting). Greater variety (and better quality) in chain eating establishments is certainly in order!!

As for an "organic salad only restaurant", I think the new Freshii that will be opening downtown will fit the bill there…….

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Most of the Moncton forum is pro-american chain. I believe the big box restaurant chain is a dying phenomenon as consumers become more educated about the the benefits of buying local and eating healthier food.
That's a bit of a generalization q12. Moncton is not obsessed with American chains and we have our own share of quality local eating establishments in the city, places like Maverick's, Little Louis', Pastalli's, The Windjammer and also a whack of new ethnic eating establishments, especially Thai and Japanese. It's just that most of these eateries are relatively expensive and few can actually be considered as family restaurants. I think this is a key point here. If you want to take the whole family out to eat at a reasonable cost and in a family friendly environment (but yet avoid fast food), you are limited to a few choices like ESM, Montana's and Boston Pizza (Moxie's and the Keg factor in, but only for special occasions). We need a few more choices in the city for casual family dining - places like Kelsey's or Jack Astor's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
When Applebee's was in Halifax it did not have great reviews, TGIF's was popular however their menu today is not as good as it was when it was in Halifax IMO.
I wonder how much of the failure of those restaurants in Halifax could be chalked up to bad management and/or poor choice in location. Applebee's was in a suburban strip mall that most visitors to the city would not know even existed. TGIF was a little off the beaten track at the casino, and the only time I tried to go there, they wouldn't let us in because we had the kids in tow - bad planning for a family restaurant to be behind the security barrier at a casino!!

In any event, I do support locally owned and independent eating establishments. They provide great variety to the culinary scene and probably contribute more to the local economy than a chain restaurant would, but I remain firm in my assertion that there is still a niche to be filled in terms of a greater variety of family friendly mid range restaurant chains in the region. These could be either American or Canadian, I don't really care. There is just a need there to be filled……..
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.