HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:25 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
I have to say I do like the 'modern' infill style going on in Calgary. You know what I mean, houses which all more or less sort of look like this:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.071525,-1...Dh-5E_EbA597pAclw&cbp=12,152.83,,1,-5.95

Some are more interesting to look at than others, but what I prefer about them compared to infill styles which have shown up in the past decade in Calgary is there is a definite "style". Much of the previous infill iterations just seemed like a collection of random elements which didn't go together at all, all combined on a canvas of cheap looking stucco, usually with larger than desirable blank stucco'd wall portions:
Here is an example only 8 years old which shows how terrible things were not long ago:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.071528,-1...VMVaM_dg_Iy7ganieg&cbp=12,233.7,,1,-4.01

No sense of a distinct style, just a mess, and with a cheap look.



This new style has enough additional facade articulation to make it somewhat interesting to look at.

I feel that decades in the future this will be a style that will be recognizable as being from this era. One thing I'm curious is how widespread this particular style (one or two colours of stucco, multi segmented aluminum windows, sections of 'stone siding') is? Calgary? Alberta? Canada? North America? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.