HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:01 PM
Richard Eade Richard Eade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nepean
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Given the traffic patterns at that interchange, a 2-lane ramp from 417WB onto Moodie is necessary, and 2 lanes need to be maintained during the week (even using temporary structures). Full closures on weekends should be implemented though for the three relevant ramps (Moodie Drive itself shouldn't be impacted).

The problem is that an initial configuration at Moodie is required for westbound traffic to access the Transitway, unless a throw-away overpass is built from EB 417 across the lanes to the new Transitway or if you wanted to build it all the way to Kanata at once. That is only a reasonable option if the future Transitway were to be built on the south side of 417, which I don't see happening.

Overall, the best option I think is Interim B (unless a Kanata extension is built immediately in which B1 should be built right away) without the unnecessary local platform, followed by B1.
I understand that the volume coming off the 417 and along Moodie can be heavy, but now is the time to make any modifications to this area. Once the nearby buildings are re-populated the traffic will only get worse. Besides, the Moodie Bridge was recently down to one lane per direction and there were no serious problems. That can be done for one more season to get a proper transit system. I can assure you that what the City has planned will also affect Moodie.

The more I look at it, the more I want to simply build the underpass and forget about all the throw-away stuff the City is planning.



This moves the 417 ramps permanently and provides 2 right-turn, and 2 left-turn lanes for the west-bound 417 off-ramp. Moving the 417 ramps opens up the area to simplify the Transitway layout. This simplified Transitway alignment is easily extendable and convertable to rail. The only throw-away would be the turning circle at the west end of the Transitway. I have shown Bus-only lanes along the re-aligned Corkstown, but they may not be necessary. (If they are needed, they would also be throw-away, or they can be used as parking lanes for the folks visiting the Greenbelt from here.) I have also shown a possible link to the Transitway via the existing S-W Ramp loop (light blue). This option would remove one traffic signal for an east-bound bus to get to the Transitway.

In this configuration, local buses would use Moodie, with side platforms over the central-platform Transitway Station below.

I haven't even mentioned that Corkstown could even be given its own Moodie underpass to maximize the developable area around the sports field. Corkstown's access to Moodie would only be on the west side of Moodie. This modification is not shown on the diagram and is left as an excersize for the reader's imagination.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.