Thats just the thing..............I dont think that Calgary is the best city in any category......at all. I dont think any city is "the best" except for the obvious ones like New York, Chicago....etc.... I like them all equally for the most part. But when I hear things that make no sense at all, I have to call them out. I walk and explore Calgary all the time (almost every weekend) and I am still not bored after 8 years......and I have fairly large expectations.
I dont like that we are lacking in civil / institutional buildings downtown. Other cities get more money for those
I hate that Calgary demolishes so many buildings
I dont like that we have parking lots all over the place
I dont like how we cling to history in some developments
I dont like the one way streets all over downtown.
I dont like how some of the new buildings are not including as much retail as the building that stood before.
I love how were are filling the city with mixed use developments, and thousands of people are choosing to live downtown.
I love our communities that surround the main downtown
I love our pathway system that is really well integrated into the urban fabric
I love that our river front is breaking out of that "pastoral, natural park setting" and becoming more urban.
I love our transit system and the new separated bike lanes.
I love our relaxed attitude towards things.
I dont know where you are hearing all this "one-upsmanship." Its a great place, but not that great yet.
Why arent people glad that Calgary is moving in the right direction? I would be happy if any other city was doing well.
I suggest that if you hate Calgary so much, stop driving your car and consuming oil products......yes, that mean you everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar
I was at a national conference last week, and all I heard was Calgary this and Calgary that, Calgary's doing everything right, Calgary's the best. The one upsmanship is very tiresome. Unfortunately it extends to people who aren't even on SSP.
I mean it's great that there's such optimism there, and a can-do attitude is fine, but there is a bit of a mismatch with reality. I can understand it must be exciting to see the dramatic transformation of the city in a relatively short time. Yes, it's booming and it's becoming a big city, but it's still very far from joining the ranks of Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. Someday it might get there, but right now Calgary is that arrogant 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in the expensive red convertible. That it's claim to fame is its really tall skyscrapers is very telling.
|