HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 12:01 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
That strip mall of the Travellers building, etc is the ugliest stretch of buildings in the city.
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 12:56 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
^ Back in "the day", people older than me tell me, that section of Broad St was a happening place to spend a Saturday with theatres and shops.

There are now a lot of buildings on that stretch that really ought to come down since they are a blight - Army and Navy, the Travellers Block, the old Microcosm Computer store. I am sure that damn Fun House hasn't been open since the early 1980s but there is still some merchandise inside if you look in the windows. Most of these buildings are now probably beyond repair.

Two questions:
1. Did Ginger's restaurant close down (Broad and 11th)? I see the sign in one of your pictures. When it opened I predicted it would not survive two years.
2. On the street car map, whatever happened to the avenue named "Chicago"? Is it 3rd?
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:04 AM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
Thanks Homeinmyshoes. Is Albert Street narrow its entire length or does it broaden out north and south of the inner city. The reason I would argue its an ideal corridor is that it connects 3 different malls, downtown and the ledge in one fell swoop. Obviously a demonstration line along the E-W rail corridor would be alot easier and cheaper since the space is already cleared away for it (or alot easily done) not to mention the fact it could potentially connect the airport, exhibition grounds, Taylor Field and CBD together.

As for Regina, I am not nearly as pessimistic as you. I think the city is on course for slow but steady growth, unless a dramatic and bold vision for the city is designed and executed. I think both Regina and Saskatoon have the potential to become international magnet cities given the right mix of economic development and marketing.

Personally, I'd like to see Saskatchewan be the most innovative province or state in North America, in terms of progressive policies. After all it was a trailblazer in the past with Medicare, which IMHO, is still the best social program ever invented, despite neo-con harping to the contrary.
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:19 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
^Albert St is wide in the area south of 25th Avenue and on the stretch north of downtown. The narrowest portion is alongside Wascana Park to the east and a number of large historical homes on the west (south of Wascana Creek to about 25th Avenue). In my view, this is the finest streetscape in the finest area of the city and would not be worth widening just to allow people to shave two minutes off the drive to Southland Mall.


The East-West mainline is not viable for light rail as there are no real large population centres along it. In the west it is between the RCMP and the Airport (which is far from the rail line and could never povide enough traffic to be viable). In the east, a lot of the tracks are surrounded by industrial areas until you get to Glen Elm/Glencairn on the far eastside. Only the downtown, Taylor Field, the Catherdral Area (the neighbourhood west of Downtown) and the Exhibition Grounds would be served if this were light rail.

The most viable route would follow the Lewvan Drive from the Northwest to the CP mainline and go into downtown and either go south on Broad St to the University or on Arcola Avenue to the south-east.
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:25 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
PS - It is nice to see an active Regina thread going!
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:37 AM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/canucklehead2/

Here is the link to my LRT map page so far. I have designed an LRT system for Regina.

BTW, don't underestimate building an LRT line down a corridor that goes mainly through industrial areas. After all Edmonton and Calgary did the same, and these lines are the most popular in terms of traffic in each city respectively. Plus the redevelopment and densification potential is ALOT higher in industrial areas since there are generally lower land values and fewer property owners needed to piece together projects..
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 1:38 AM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
BTW, could someone please email me blank Google maps for me to "do my thing" on, so I can post them to my photobucket account and in turn this forum?
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:48 AM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
You've got a PM canucklehead2. Actually, anyone can grab them and go to town on designing the future. They are largeish, so here's the web address and you can pick them up instead of viewing them here.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/HomeInMyShoes/2ee154b1.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/HomeInMyShoes/ee5b3794.jpg

Albert Street would be a great north south link for the Northgate, downtown, park/legislature, Golden Mile, and Southland, but it's just a very difficult sell when you're talking about boring through the most spectacular residential area in Regina. It's just not going to happen. I am however hopeful that they'll open the Colin Thatcher interpretive museum complete with anecdotal theories on how to get to Moose Jaw in five minutes.

I won't dwell on why I think Regina isn't going anywhere too fast. I do love my home town, even though I'm 1200 miles away right now.
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 3:54 AM
governorgeneral governorgeneral is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 223
You mean I'm not the only one dreaming up totally unviable schemes for little old Regina? This is MADNESS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2
BTW, I have a request for a forumer living in Regina. Could you take some snaps of the east-west rail corridor going through the city, to show me how wide it is, and how easily it could possibly accomodate an LRT line? Most LRT systems need a 30' R.O.W, and what about Albert Street. To me that would make a great North-South line as well. Could anyone else make any suggestions?
Sorry, no photos of the rail lines, but from what I remember, you've got your 30' ROW to work with. I'd still be a bit skeptical whether it would be a useful line for an LRT. It's convenient to the Exhibition, Pasqua Hospital, Taylor Field, the Dewdney Av strip and the Casino, but residentially, there's slim pickings... it only cuts through Eastview and N Central Regina, and maybe the Cathedral area too, but that's pushing it.



The City's "Regina at > 300 000" scenario (above) includes new communities mostly continuing Southeast, South/Southwest and Northwest; a little bit going Northeast along the railway, but not so much. Good point about industrial land being cheaper for redevelopment... but I think Regina's already done a good job segregating all that in the Northeast, and should probably stay put as is. If LRT/transit could be used to direct that development instead towards already-residential places in need of sprucing up, that would be an even better start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
A North-South Lewvan Expy line like HomeInMyShoes drew (thanks for the diagrammes!) would be almost as easy, plenty of space to move around and build a line. Hits the proposed new development in the Southwest, the Exhibition, Pasqua Hospital, and the established NW Central communities. A Southeast line along Arcola Av also has some space to work with as you get farther out. (It actually was a rail line I think way back when, before the roads came in.)

How about this:



I like the Broad St/Wascana Pkwy idea - hits up some of the major city sites (Downtown, General Hospital, the Sound Stage, Wascana Marina, University, maybe down into SIAST?) and Broad St's definitely easier to play with than Albert St. There's lots of sites along Broad St that could accommodate new construction/redevelopment (vacant lot at 14th Av, the Travellers' Bldg, etc). Plus, it could tie in well with a revived Chinatown/E Central neighbourhood. From Broad St / Saskatchewan Dr, it could continue north into the existing railyard (solving the junction would be a mess though), pass by the Dewdney Av strip / Warehouse District (another area with great potential), Taylor Field, the Exhibition, Pasqua Hospital, and from there go north-west, as HomeInMyShoes proposed. An extension past the airport (in blue) could serve the future Southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain
Two questions:
1. Did Ginger's restaurant close down (Broad and 11th)? I see the sign in one of your pictures. When it opened I predicted it would not survive two years.
2. On the street car map, whatever happened to the avenue named "Chicago"? Is it 3rd?
"Ginger's" at Broad St and 11 Av... sorry, can't picture it.

I think Chicago is one of the "x Av N"... there used to be a bunch of "American" avenues, like Chicago Av, McKinley Av, Pennsylvania Av (?), etc. Now they're "1 Av N", "2 Av N" etc. (I HATE those names. Everywhere else in the world "x Av N" would mean "a portion of x Av, north of some street demarcating 'North' and 'South". Like Edmonton's brilliant system. In Regina, it means "a numbered avenue north of the railway, parallel to another identically-numbered avenue." ie, there's a "7 Av", and there's also a "7 Av N", 14 blocks apart. It's a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2
As for Regina, I am not nearly as pessimistic as you. I think the city is on course for slow but steady growth
I'm cautiously optimistic about Regina too. A lot of the details really bug me (eg the city logo, the inconsistent new street signs... lovely Clearview font, but ALL CAPS on some, normal on others... like some guy is making them willy-nilly at the sign factory. So unprofessional), but they're really just details. I _do_ love Regina... maybe someday I'll come back.
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:02 AM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Too many stops downtown, Chinatown is two blocks from the General Hospital, which is two blocks to SoundStage and also right on Wascana Park.
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:33 AM
governorgeneral governorgeneral is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
Too many stops downtown, Chinatown is two blocks from the General Hospital, which is two blocks to SoundStage and also right on Wascana Park.
True... I guess I was picturing something kind of C-Train-esque there: like downtown Calgary along 7 Av, alternating stops on either side of Broad St. Does that make sense?
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:34 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
See this is why Regina, nor Saskatchewan can get anywhere. We have 5 or six people in this thread discussing Regina, a city that we all have fond memories of, and want to see flourish. The point is, the people who want to stay here can't, because of work. Something needs to be done to keep the people who actually want to stay.

To answer some questions. Ginger's did shut down. The majority of Broad Street needs to be re-done in my opinion, save a couple of buildings. North Broad is in worse shape than South. And I suppose they are making an attempt at devloping this part of downtown with the new STC building and the Wingate Hotel.

Speaking of the hotel, I was watching City Council on Acces tonight (LOSER!!) and they were going over the proposed hotel. Sounds like city council is not understanding the proposed plan. Apparently they weren't aware that the developers wanted to tear down the Army and Navy. Just get it done already!!
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:38 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by governorgeneral
I think Chicago is one of the "x Av N"... there used to be a bunch of "American" avenues, like Chicago Av, McKinley Av, Pennsylvania Av (?), etc. Now they're "1 Av N", "2 Av N" etc. (I HATE those names. Everywhere else in the world "x Av N" would mean "a portion of x Av, north of some street demarcating 'North' and 'South". Like Edmonton's brilliant system. In Regina, it means "a numbered avenue north of the railway, parallel to another identically-numbered avenue." ie, there's a "7 Av", and there's also a "7 Av N", 14 blocks apart. It's a mess.
Agreed. I always thought that was a stupid numbering system. Especially for 12 Avenue North which is completely out of context.

That explains McKinley Avenue though. I know there are a few 'lost streets' in the city - Stephen St (which had a marker put up again in the mid-90s only to be taken down), Old South Broad, Saskatchewan Ave, 10th Avenue/South Railway (downtown), 16th Avenue. I guess I can add 'Chicago' to the list.
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:39 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Spparently they weren't aware that the developers wanted to tear down the Army and Navy. Just get it done already!!
I say either tear it down or re-install the "Techno-Chicken" wall mural from the mid-90s to cover the blight!
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:42 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
That will be a big hotel though, and it's only 7 floors. It would cover the Army and Navy, and the old Legion building, with parking off of Rose street, apparently.

I think it'll happen eventually, but they always need to do their little arguing session first.
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:45 AM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
^ that Legion is an eyesore too - its destruction could only be a positive for the optics of downtown.
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:58 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
That's the point they were trying to get across, but City Council was going on about "Well we didn't know you were going to do this." Are we really attatched to the old Legion, Army and Navy and a vacant lot on Rose that we can't just let them go ahead. There hasn't been anything going on in there for years, so just let them do something!

They tore down the old Souls Harbour building. That was such an eyesore. It's a good cause, but they moved out of that building and thus it was time for that to come down.
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 5:02 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
I have some pictures on my computer that I'd like to add. Since I can't attach them from my harddrive, what's a free hosting site?
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 5:04 AM
ReginaSask's Avatar
ReginaSask ReginaSask is offline
Regina forever
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: REGINA
Posts: 23
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 5:10 AM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
I think council is still longing for the Army and Navy becoming a full time farmers market, but it didn't happen and it doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not overly excited about a seven-story motor hotel opening in downtown, but it's something and maybe it can create some momentum with the bus depot for the casino and the area.

I wanted to stay in Canada and I had even bought a house in Regina, but there were no opportunities for my fiance in Regina, or Saskatchewan. We had an opportunity in Edmonton for something to maybe work out, but now we're in St. Louis for two years. I really want to go back to Canada and wouldn't mind ending up in Saskatchewan, but it's a question of opportunities. I can pretty much work anywhere I want, but my fiance has better opportunities outside the province and probably outside the country. There might not even be a job in Canada to apply for for her and in the US there are hundreds of opportunities all paying 50 to 150% more than that job, if it was available, in Canada.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.