HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'm not sure one can judge based on first 6 months data. The question is whether they stick to the 360k cap. We know that applications have fallen substantially and there's actually projections that enrollment might actually below targets.
The word is apparently getting out.

The suckers may not fall for the scam any more.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People. The numbers are NOT going to be coming down. It's also almost certain they won't be coming down significantly under a CPC government. The course has been definitely set and is unlikely to be altered. There is too much at stake.
I think the base will defect if they don't bring numbers down.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think the base will defect if they don't bring numbers down.
Perhaps, though it's noteworthy that it hasn't been one of the main issues that Poilievre has been hammering on. (Of course everyone expects he will do something different on immigration anyway.)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, though it's noteworthy that it hasn't been one of the main issues that Poilievre has been hammering on. (Of course everyone expects he will do something different on immigration anyway.)
He's scared still of being pegged as racist. The public opinion on this has changed fast. Maybe the anonymous nature of this board but I also here it in real life people who were very pro immigration are calling for drastic cuts. It's not yet an election issue because it's not being discussed by the media.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
He's scared still of being pegged as racist. The public opinion on this has changed fast. Maybe the anonymous nature of this board but I also here it in real life people who were very pro immigration are calling for drastic cuts. It's not yet an election issue because it's not being discussed by the media.
PP not feeding the trolls with sound bites about immigration has been a smart move politically. Trudeau has been baiting him nonstop since COVID ended, and he's been smart not to feed the Liberal's identity politics fuelled ad machine.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
As I said earlier, platform means nothing. Politics is all vibes these days. He doesn't have to say anything. And just like the LPC ramped up immigration to record levels without a mandate for that kind of immigration, PP can execute cuts without much of a mandate anyway.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 3:38 PM

Quote:
As I said earlier, platform means nothing. Politics is all vibes these days. He doesn't have to say anything. And just like the LPC ramped up immigration to record levels without a mandate for that kind of immigration, PP can execute cuts without much of a mandate anyway.
As we've seen with Danny. What you say on the campaign trail or in your platform mean nothing. I have little faith in Any leader right now. but if a vote were to happen tomorrow I would stay with the the status. PP is not giving me any hope for the future. What little time I have left.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
As we've seen with Danny. What you say on the campaign trail or in your platform mean nothing. I have little faith in Any leader right now. but if a vote were to happen tomorrow I would stay with the the status. PP is not giving me any hope for the future. What little time I have left.
Kinda wild ain't it?

We went from "Hidden agenda" being a boogeyman to being the literal MO of all our major parties in just a few years.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
No wonder Trudeau's Liberals are misleading Canadians saying that they're going to cap International Student numbers, and yet in reality record student visas were issued YTD 2024:

Foreign student permits are already outpacing 2023's record numbers

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...record-numbers

According to numbers curated online by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Canada handed out 216,620 international study permits in the first five months of 2024. Just 200,205 study permits were handed out during the same time period in 2023.

During the first five months of 2024, Indian students were granted 91,510 permits, more than the 85,805 granted over the same period last year.

In January, Immigration Marc Miller announced he was putting an intake cap on international student permit applications that he expected to result in approximately 360,000 approved study permits, a decrease of 35 per cent from 2023.

The issue came to a head last summer after reports of international students, unable to secure housing, were living rough on the streets and in homeless shelters — including a Conestoga College student from India found sleeping under a bridge in east-end Toronto.

Conservative immigration critic Tom Kmiec blamed the last nine years of the Trudeau government for the problem of too many temporary residents for the system to handle.

“It is so bad that the current Liberal immigration minister himself said the broken system is ‘out of control’. The previous immigration minister admitted that the system is a ‘complete mess’. Even Trudeau acknowledged their shared failure, calling the system ‘broken,'” he said.

“The Liberal government first allowed corrupt consultants and phoney educational institutions to bring students here under false pretences. Then they promised to fix the mess and bring it under control only to see things become worse amid a growing housing crisis of their making.”
Are they issuing student visas to people without confirmed academic placements?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure one can judge based on first 6 months data. The question is whether they stick to the 360k cap. We know that applications have fallen substantially and there's actually projections that enrollment might actually below targets.
Anecdotally, Indian and Chinese students are increasingly looking at alternatives to Canada.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
The students issue and increasing unemployment among recent immigrants have both had media attention.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Anecdotally, Indian and Chinese students are increasingly looking at alternatives to Canada.
The most qualified ones started giving up on Canada a while ago. We mostly only get those who really want a Western visa now. Not anybody actually passionate about their field.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
The Tech bros are already coming out against her after claiming they were only for Trump because Biden was senile and they'd happily vote for any younger candidate. I wonder if we will see the same with a lot of voters who were only pretending to be for Trump because Biden is old when really they want his anti immigration and other policies but are embarrassed to admit it.
Yeah interesting to see a lot of people who thought Biden was failing and a cakewalk for Trump are suddenly. Panicking. Similarly those calling Biden too old are now the ones supporting somebody would be the oldest ever elected.

I'm not sure anything changes too many minds, but it's all about turnout.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yeah interesting to see a lot of people who thought Biden was failing and a cakewalk for Trump are suddenly. Panicking. Similarly those calling Biden too old are now the ones supporting somebody would be the oldest ever elected.

I'm not sure anything changes too many minds, but it's all about turnout.
I think there's a bit of value in making their hypocrisy plain for all to see. Of course, anybody down the rabbit hole ain't coming back. By politics isn't about them. It's about the persuadable.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The students issue and increasing unemployment among recent immigrants have both had media attention.
Yes but very much on the fringes. Most people have no idea most of these students are fake students here to work. They imagine they are enrolled in Masters of Engineering programs ready to fulfill a need Canada has and are paying $30k a year in much needed tuition dollars. These are of course the students we need to get back to.

The conversation is still very much immigrants aren't the reason for our housing crisis which I think was mostly true until fairly recently even if many were harping on about it well before that.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Yes but very much on the fringes. Most people have no idea most of these students are fake students here to work. They imagine they are enrolled in Masters of Engineering programs ready to fulfill a need Canada has and are paying $30k a year in much needed tuition dollars. These are of course the students we need to get back to.

The conversation is still very much immigrants aren't the reason for our housing crisis which I think was mostly true until fairly recently even if many were harping on about it well before that.
This might be the narrative at meetings of the Liberal Party. I don’t think it is the narrative anywhere else. The fake students have received significant media coverage for at least 2 years.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:45 PM

^^ I think you're mistaking your social circle for "most people".

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 5:08 PM

https://www.environicsinstitute.org/...ation-refugees

Canadians are now significantly more likely than a year ago to say there is too much immigration to the country, dramatically reversing a trend dating back decades. For the first time, a growing number of Canadians are questioning how many immigrants are arriving, rather than who they are and where they are coming from.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
https://www.environicsinstitute.org/...ation-refugees

Canadians are now significantly more likely than a year ago to say there is too much immigration to the country, dramatically reversing a trend dating back decades. For the first time, a growing number of Canadians are questioning how many immigrants are arriving, rather than who they are and where they are coming from.
This is good news though not yet decisive. Meanwhile UK public opinion has been strongly anti-immigration and bot parties have kept the taps running. So we will see.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
This is good news though not yet decisive. Meanwhile UK public opinion has been strongly anti-immigration and bot parties have kept the taps running. So we will see.
How is it "both parties" in the UK when Labour has not been in since 2010?

The British Tories tried to play a cute game where they ran on dog whistles while pushing strictly pro-business and pro-rich policies. It backfired on them once their base noticed and split with Reform UK. The same would happen here with PPC if the CPC doesn't actually reduce intake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada