HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:36 PM

The Great Canadian Poop Thread

Asking about the news regarding people defecating in public is offensive? I no longer reside in Canada and have only encountered fragmented information.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:41 PM

Public washrooms are actually pretty hard to find in this country, so it’s becoming more common with our skyrocketing homelessness and businesses refusing to allow these people to use their facilities. But yeah, it’s still considered inappropriate. Not sure why you needed a thread for this?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:48 PM

People shitting in the public realm is a pretty direct and inevitable side-effect of skyrocketing homelessness, as theman23 pointed out.

Should other mods decide it doesn't deserve a thread, and close this one again, you're more than welcome to move to discussing the LPC's pet "Scheme of Great Landlord Enrichment and of Skyrocketing Volumes Of Sidewalk Poop" in the Federal Politics Thread.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:57 PM
I am the law!

Naw, this has nothing to do with homelessness. This is over international students pooping on beaches which is innuendo than factual at this time and therefore a highly argumentative subject matter and nothing to do with skyscrapers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-dog View Post
Asking about the news regarding people defecating in public is offensive? I no longer reside in Canada and have only encountered fragmented information.
I am going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that maybe the reason why your thread was removed is because it was full of shit.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Naw, this has nothing to do with homelessness. This is over international students pooping on beaches which is innuendo than factual at this time and therefore a highly argumentative subject matter and nothing to do with skyscrapers.
I agree it seems like total BS and therefore better shut down but the "nothing to do with skysrapers" seems like a very high bar at this point. It is mildly related to skyscrapers actually as without immigration we won't see many more built and this kind of racist meme is a sign sentiment is very much turning against immigration in Canada.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that maybe the reason why your thread was removed is because it was full of shit.
Nice one

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:26 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:48 PM

Quote:
There’s a whole lot on here that has nothing to do with skyscrapers.

The lack of public washrooms in Canada compared to Europe is embarrassing. Unfortunately the idiots who continually trash them here are never punished so everyone suffers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

While more of them would no doubt help matters, this is definitely not primarily a "lack of public bathrooms" problem.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Lack of public bathrooms in city cores was an inconvenience and an annoyance until a couple of years ago. It becoming a public health and livability problem is a fairly recent thing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So this outside doo-doo map might be due for a re-do?

https://riceinstitute.org/blog-post/...-in-the-world/

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:07 PM
I am the law!

I'm keenly aware it's a long way from Yonge Station to Kennedy Station. I've never shat in public areas. I've never seen any friends or collegues shat in public areas. The lack of public bathrooms is an excuse if this is actually happening among people with homes. My guess someone saw a picture of a beach in another country and it went viral from there. I've technically* never seen someone shat on the beach. If I did, I would confront them.

*squatting on a beach shitting in a designated bucket I think in Copenhagen 30 odd years ago.

Why only now? International students have been here in great numbers for nearly a decade.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lack of public bathrooms in city cores was an inconvenience and an annoyance until a couple of years ago. It becoming a public health and livability problem is a fairly recent thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So this outside doo-doo map might be due for a re-do?

https://riceinstitute.org/blog-post/...-in-the-world/
On the topic at hand, by coincidence, I did have to shit outside in an urban setting this past weekend, extremely rare of course (definitely not a habit!), I was on foot downtown around midnight and too far from any accessible toilets (not accessible to anyone else, but I do have keys to the public areas of my SROs and can go in 24/7), and realized I just had to do it soon or else... I found a wooden spot in the bushes near the river, really well off any public path, located suitable large leaves nearby (as "toilet paper") and did my business. Worked perfectly. That's an option accessible to any homeless person BTW.

Sorry if that's TMI but I just wanted to point out that the total lack of public toilets isn't ever going to be a problem for reasonable, sane people. It's 100% a mental health / drug abuse problem, whenever you see human shit on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
There’s a whole lot on here that has nothing to do with skyscrapers.

The lack of public washrooms in Canada compared to Europe is embarrassing. Unfortunately the idiots who continually trash them here are never punished so everyone suffers.
I travel to Europe every year, and my experience is that public washrooms are few and far in-between in Europe. We may not have many in Canada, but just about any fast food outlet will let you use the washroom.

In Europe, I carry extra Euros just in case there happens to be a "public" washroom (which almost always cost money), and to buy unwanted coffees (as cafe employees will refuse you access to their solitary cubicle washroom, unless you are a customer).

Paris smells like piss for a reason. Parts of Italian cities, too.

China's toilets are....interesting. Sometimes, very modern and clean; other times, a long, extremely rank trough and holes for squatting). There are also pig toilets in the countryside. You are what you eat.

Worst of the worst, is the Tenderloin district in San Francisco. Poop central.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I'm keenly aware it's a long way from Yonge Station to Kennedy Station. I've never shat in public areas. I've never seen any friends or collegues shat in public areas. The lack of public bathrooms is an excuse if this is actually happening among people with homes. My guess someone saw a picture of a beach in another country and it went viral from there. I've technically* never seen someone shat on the beach. If I did, I would confront them.

*squatting on a beach shitting in a designated bucket I think in Copenhagen 30 odd years ago.

Why only now? International students have been here in great numbers for nearly a decade.
I think this controversy is mostly made up but there is a lack of awareness in some quarters and I guess those that don't frequent the Federal Politics thread here don't see it in posts either but the students that arrived recently are totally different. We now have huge numbers of fake students. These are not the 2015 students from China studying at U of T. They are here only to work and get PR. They are largely but not exclusviely from one region of the world. I think they rescused our housing market by bailing out landlords. Others disagree. Nobody who pays attention doesn't see the problems the influx has created. They didn't cause the problem. They are taking advanatage of a legal way to work and stay in Canada despite not having the skills to immigrate to Canada as economic class immigrants. This is on us not them. If they are living so many people to a room they need to wander the streets during some of their off time that is on us as well. Everyone when forced has gone to the bathroom on a street corner or in the forest. It's a basic human function.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The lack of public washrooms in Canada compared to Europe is embarrassing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Everyone when forced has gone to the bathroom on a street corner
One, Europe does not have a lot of public restrooms. Stores are not required to have them, either.

Two, nobody shits on the street corner. This is in no way a normative experience in Canada. Which relates to the previous thing, actually, because even Canadian street life involves McDonalds restrooms, bus station restrooms, places like this. Getting kicked out of 24-hour Starbucks for cooking up in the restroom.

Not going on the corner.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:45 PM
video et taceo

I have no idea whether people are shitting in public in Canada, I have only seen this on right-wing slop accounts like Ian Miles Cheong or whatever. I really have no clue as to whether this is a real thing.

But I do know that it is not a longstanding norm of Canadian poverty to openly defecate in urban places.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
But I do know that it is not a longstanding norm of Canadian poverty to openly defecate in urban places.
Exactly. As I pointed out, this problem (which does exist, FYI) is 100% a mental health / drug abuse one. "Normal" Canadians who are temporarily bathroom-poor do not ever shit on the sidewalk, at worst they'll do what I did (if there's nowhere open nearby at the time).

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Everyone when forced has gone to the bathroom on a street corner or in the forest. It's a basic human function.
In the forest yes, on a street corner no.

If the immediate urban environment is strictly concrete and skyscrapers then it's almost certainly dense enough to have some places that are open 24 hours, and if it's not then there must be bushes somewhere nearby. No sane person would ever defecate openly on a street corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada