HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:28 AM

The arena upgrades will be nice however there is a noticeable development pause downtown. Also, encampment wise I can't speak for everyone but myself and a lot of folks in my neighbourhood are looking to get out. Its incredible how fast the core has become so ugly. Our wards councilor, Cameron Kroach loves to virtue signal to the Max and do absolutely nothing. Like dude, you're ward looks like doo doo, figure it out! I digress. I guess we have to pick our poison, either tolerate encampments and watch the core become less desirable or make tough decisions.

Last edited by Allroadsleadtoham; Jul 23, 2024 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroadsleadtoham View Post
The arena upgrades will be nice however there is noticeable development pause downtown. Also, encampment wise I can't speak for everyone but myself and a lot of folks in my neighbourhood are looking to get out. Its remarkable how ungly the core has become. Our politician particular my wards councilor cameron Kroach loves to virtue singnal to the Max and do absolutely Nothing. Like dude, you're ward looks like doo doo, figure it out! Anyway, I guess we have to pick out poison tolerate encampments and watch the core become less desirable or make tough decisions.
It's crossed my mind as well. I'm starting to become concerned that I may have trouble selling my place because of the state of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 2:01 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroadsleadtoham View Post
The arena upgrades will be nice however there is noticeable development pause downtown. Also, encampment wise I can't speak for everyone but myself and a lot of folks in my neighbourhood are looking to get out. Its remarkable how ungly the core has become. Our politician particular my wards councilor cameron Kroach loves to virtue singnal to the Max and do absolutely Nothing. Like dude, you're ward looks like doo doo, figure it out! Anyway, I guess we have to pick out poison tolerate encampments and watch the core become less desirable or make tough decisions.
There are also macroeconomic and larger political factors involved in the "pause" though. And the underlying issues with homelessness and services for people who need them (or "actions" for the people who don't, but want to see things done).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 3:31 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I've been lurking there, and read that. It was harsh.

There are strong opinions about what to do about this problem, but given how society-wide it is, cities (and developers) are limited in what they can do. And I think we need a more polite (but frank) conversation about it.

Once the arena is redone, I think the increased activity will lead to lower issues of homelessness and vagrancy that are especially pervasive in that part of downtown. The activity will not solve the underlying problem though, and it will probably just move elsewhere. (gawd forbid that it moves to one of the "suburban" cores though... that would be an anathema)
Maybe something would actually get done about it then..

and yes I just let loose, and you know me, I don't hold back - but I tried to word it civilly, basically saying this is a forum to talk about architectures and city issues, not to toss your hate around of people you don't like due to your own unresolved issues. I and many people are tired of it, and I am simply not going to put up with it anymore. And that goes here too. Don't expect us to just take your bullshit people - focus on the architecture, not on each other.

They need to be put back in a mental hospital - it's the only solution - and they need to be run more humanely - they need to be observed, monitored run through recovery programs where they are monitored every step of the way, and those that cannot help but relapse need to be put in a home. Once you are rehabilitated and are proven to be a functional member of society that can hold down a job, THEN you can rejoin society.

..but nobody wants to hear that - it's easier to virtue signal and do nothing and call anyone who doesn't agree horrible people. I get being more idealistic if you're young and haven't experienced much of life - but have life bitch slap you and others around a few times and you'll start to see things in a more.. "balanced" light.

It's like I said before - hamilton doesn't have a poverty problem so much as it has a mental health problem. I watch people begging outside grocery stores - these people could apply for jobs - they just plain don't want to - noone wants to work. The pandemic GAVE people money and now they expect it to continue - get off your goddamn lazy asses and work like the rest of us, and if you lack the mental faculties for it, we'll put you in a home, just like we would if you were elderly and losing your marbles.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Is it just me [and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular] or do many posters on this forum seem "angry" and very quick to lash out? It's less true for the city sub-forums, but still it feels rampant to me.

But that seems to be the case with broader society sometimes too, so maybe it's just natural for internet discussions to follow suit.

Or maybe I just need to take a step back and have a break.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 3:16 AM

The tone is much better on UrbanToronto as the moderators weed out trolls quickly and they have an ignore function!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
The tone is much better on UrbanToronto as the moderators weed out trolls quickly and they have an ignore function!
We have an ignore function I make good use of it

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 10:38 PM

yep lot's of progressive lefty types that get all worked up

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton