HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
I'm surprised no one has shared the top story in Inquirer today. It's confirmed John Fry will be the new president of Temple.
. As a Drexel alum I think it's a great thing for Philly as a whole.

Some cool tidbits:

"He sees the potential in Temple’s vast research enterprise to spur a “North Philadelphia innovation corridor,” running up Broad Street from Temple’s main campus to its health system campus about 1½ miles away."
I'm so happy he's bringing that area up. It's such an underutilized space I've been dying to see get built up since it's on the BSL (local and broad ridge spur), multiple regional rail lines, and even Amtrak. On the flip side, all the tracks do cut off parts of the street grid, but it's begging for more projects. There's also almost no residential from York til a few blocks before Allegheny, so it's really almost a blank slate. Lots of large lots with auto oriented businesses that can be cleared, and a handful of great old factories that are begging for renovation. Maybe he can get into talks with the stalled station redevelopment plan

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
I'm falling for oil industry propaganda? You have zero clue where i get my information -- and, side note, you made many assertions in your post with no backup. For work purposes I used to attend meetings of the National Governors Association (NGA), and their spinoffs the Democratic Governors Assocation (DGA) and the Republican Governors Association (RGA). Since the gas taxes in most states fund a huge amount of road maintenance, I was in NGA/DGA/RGA meetings at least ten years ago where panelists pointed out that state gas tax receipts would decline as the adoption of electric vehicles proceeded apace, and that ultimately the gas tax needed to migrate to a mileage of vehicles tax. I think the same points were made when years ago I also was attending meetings of the National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) but go ahead just disparage other posters about whom you know nothing.
I don't want to get into an argument, but you're the one who hopped into the thread spreading oil industry talking points. Having them filtered through a governor's association doesn't change the math.

Again, the weight difference of an EV vs an ICE vehicle is insignificant when it comes to causing road damage.

If this is something you're actually concerned about or interested in just look at the actual numbers. Maybe start with the Fourth Power Law.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I don't want to get into an argument, but you're the one who hopped into the thread spreading oil industry talking points. Having them filtered through a governor's association doesn't change the math.

Again, the weight difference of an EV vs an ICE vehicle is insignificant when it comes to causing road damage.

If this is something you're actually concerned about or interested in just look at the actual numbers. Maybe start with the Fourth Power Law.
This is all missing the fact that heavier vehicles are substantially more dangerous in collisions, both with pedestrians and with other cars. It’s obviously fantastic that they’re reducing emissions (even though there is more tire wear), particularly in cities where trips are generally far shorter, but I do worry about the extra weight. I love the fact that they can idle without spewing noxious fumes though.

Old Posted Today, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I'm so happy he's bringing that area up. It's such an underutilized space I've been dying to see get built up since it's on the BSL (local and broad ridge spur), multiple regional rail lines, and even Amtrak. On the flip side, all the tracks do cut off parts of the street grid, but it's begging for more projects. There's also almost no residential from York til a few blocks before Allegheny, so it's really almost a blank slate. Lots of large lots with auto oriented businesses that can be cleared, and a handful of great old factories that are begging for renovation. Maybe he can get into talks with the stalled station redevelopment plan
It's a great plan. I do think that the stretch south of Temple is the more important one, but if his job is to expand Temple, It's probably cheaper to move Nort than to move south.

Really excited to see what he can do with his post.

Old Posted Today, 4:40 PM
build awesome buildings

New design for Chinatown Station! This currently looks like crap, so it's awesome it's going to get such a nice update. And this is like a block from the new PATCO station that's almost done at Franklin Square

A Major Update to the Chinatown Station
https://jackphillyre.substack.com/p/...natown-station
July 5, 2024

Old Posted Today, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
New design for Chinatown Station! This currently looks like crap, so it's awesome it's going to get such a nice update. And this is like a block from the new PATCO station that's almost done at Franklin Square

A Major Update to the Chinatown Station
https://jackphillyre.substack.com/p/...natown-station
July 5, 2024

Oh that's awesome! It would be even better if that could coincide with more development (residential) built up at this site.

Sidenote, given the empty lot at 12th/Spring Garden, could there be any possibility in the future of development there that could also re-open the Spring Garden Spur Station?

Old Posted Today, 5:39 PM

This looks awesome but kind of seems like a waste of money when it's probably the most infrequently used Septa subway stop in the city. I know other stations are more complex to renovate and this is probably ADA related...but any money being used on Chinatown Station should be going to 2nd/8th/11th/13th on MFL and City Hall on BSL. Anything else is not a priority IMO. I'm aware there's a big planned renovation on City Hall station after 2026 but that doesn't mean they can't put a fresh coat of paint and some new lights in the meantime. 8th and Market has 3 subway lines and is an ugly mess. If they're going to renovate chinatown station then please demolish the roundhouse and sell the lot to the highest bidder and please don't keep the surface parking lot around the station (besides the right of way diagonal lot that can't be built on).

Old Posted Today, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
This looks awesome but kind of seems like a waste of money when it's probably the most infrequently used Septa subway stop in the city. I know other stations are more complex to renovate and this is probably ADA related...but any money being used on Chinatown Station should be going to 2nd/8th/11th/13th on MFL and City Hall on BSL. Anything else is not a priority IMO. I'm aware there's a big planned renovation on City Hall station after 2026 but that doesn't mean they can't put a fresh coat of paint and some new lights in the meantime. 8th and Market has 3 subway lines and is an ugly mess. If they're going to renovate chinatown station then please demolish the roundhouse and sell the lot to the highest bidder and please don't keep the surface parking lot around the station (besides the right of way diagonal lot that can't be built on).
2nd Street station is an absolute disaster. But there can be a case made for every station on the MFL but 5th - the shining star of the MFL.

Old Posted Today, 6:13 PM

IMO septa’s biggest goal moving forward is the new fare gates at every station. Beautifying the stations is nice, but greater fare revenue, and a more general feeling of security would go much further. Also it would signal to middle and upper income riders that they are taking their concerns seriously.

Old Posted Today, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
IMO septa’s biggest goal moving forward is the new fare gates at every station. Beautifying the stations is nice, but greater fare revenue, and a more general feeling of security would go much further. Also it would signal to middle and upper income riders that they are taking their concerns seriously.
Agreed.

Old Posted Today, 7:06 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
When they start the construction on the Cityhall/15th St concourse/stop the Spur will be used for the express trains that will be diverted due to that construction around City Hall.

So the spur is about to see a big increase in passengers for many years once that starts.

Also did we forget about the development that was just built right next to that station, & more is being built around it so that upgrade is right on time

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development