HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 2:45 AM

The US Steel Building was and is completely out of scale.

The Cathedral of Learning was and is completely out of scale.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 3:50 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyside View Post
...architecture sucks today because architects have no balls - they'll draw whatever the developer tells them to draw... the fictional hero howard roarke knew how to deal with clients - that spirit no longer exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDI-afx6ejk
You're seriously citing a fictional work, conceived by a non-architect over 80 years ago, that celebrates individualism and the ego above all else, as an example of the ideal that architects should strive for in 2024?

You must have zoned out in architecture school when we were taught that architecture is a service-based profession, dedicated to promoting the health, welfare, and safety of the public above all else. Did that one ever come up in your crits?

Architecture is inherently a collectivist effort. Even the starriest of starchitects have to make compromises on aesthetics and materials to keep their commissions. There are things called budgets and pro-formas, that dictate a project's trajectory. Architects can either embrace that reality, as part of the larger design challenge, or else wander off into a dusty room, to live out a theoritical fantasy in their sketchbooks, where the only thing they build is their ego.

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 16, 2024 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

To be honest, the US Steel Building isn't completely out of scale today as it has buildings like One PPG Place, BNY Mellon Center, and One Oxford Center that complement it well in the skyline when built in the 1980s. It was quite out of scale when the US Steel Building opened.

Cathedral of Learning I agree with that. Pretty self-explanatory.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:

For both projects I think that was the goal. Out of scale but highly visible.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 5:49 PM

I wish y'all would also put shanty on ignore. I am blissfully unaware of their posts until one of you quotes them!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman75 View Post
To be honest, the US Steel Building isn't completely out of scale today as it has buildings like One PPG Place, BNY Mellon Center, and One Oxford Center that complement it well in the skyline when built in the 1980s. It was quite out of scale when the US Steel Building opened.

Cathedral of Learning I agree with that. Pretty self-explanatory.
Well, I guess it's still out very much out of balance, with basically nothing to its west. The new FNB center... kinda helps out a tiny bit since you can actually see it on the skyline, but it's just that, tiny in comparison. I'm not sure I can think of a building located in a downtown area that remains this much out of scale with its immediately adjacent blocks quite like US Steel.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't have been built or anything, just like the Cathedral of Learning... which is the point I was getting at, refuting the notion that the planned E Liberty Bakery Sq development is somehow "out of scale" and therefore shouldn't be built.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess it's still out very much out of balance, with basically nothing to its west. The new FNB center... kinda helps out a tiny bit since you can actually see it on the skyline, but it's just that, tiny in comparison. I'm not sure I can think of a building located in a downtown area that remains this much out of scale with its immediately adjacent blocks quite like US Steel.

Yeah I understand that, but you could say that for all of Grant Street really, and 579 next to it adds to that sharp contrast. But yeah I do agree with the rest of what you said about bakery square/east liberty. Even then, it isn't really out of place or too tall with the development surrounding it. The area used to be much taller. The Target there literally replaced a tower block.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I wish y'all would also put shanty on ignore. I am blissfully unaware of their posts until one of you quotes them!
Same. I highly recommend it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 11:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Same. I highly recommend it.
Alas, it was a moment of weakness, on my part. I unignored Shanty, after seeing a quoted comment myself.

Curiosity got the better of me. I am ashamed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 3:06 PM

The July 23 Planning Commission presentation is online. There's a ton of stuff for next week, though most of it is revisions/additional material for projects reviewed last week. Going through items on the agenda:

1. A series of zoning changes bringing the Pittsburgh Zoning code into alignment with the Fair Housing Act. Practically speaking, this is a loosening of zoning codes, ensuring that a number of group quarters housing options (personal care, senior housing, and assisted living) become permitted by right across most areas of the city where other multifamily is by right. There are other various changes as well, including expansion of where multi-suite residential (SRO-type projects) may be permitted, and allowing dorms to be built within 1,000 feet of an EMI-zoned area, even if not within the zoning envelope.

2. The initial presentation on the soil remediation project for Swisshelm Park (in preparation of the upcoming solar farm). Not the sexiest thing - particularly given it showcases again how NIMBYs defeated the planned final phase of Summerset at Frick Park.

3. I somehow missed it last week (I guess these projects go right to hearing now), but it looks like they'll be a big Edgar Snyder sign on one of the North Shore buildings now.

4. The Planning Commission is reviewing the Bakery Square expansion for the third concurrent session. It looks like Walnut Capital has lowered their requested maximum height to 180 feet.

5. More information is now available for the planned rezone of a block of Homewood to LNC. This is partially driven by a planned project on the west side of the block, which will take an existing church building and expand it with new office space.

Also, the August 15 ZBA is online. Not much here to note, with only four projects, and all of them small. The most interesting are a new community center, basketball court, and playground in the Upper Hill, along with a new project in Spring Garden. The latter is interesting both because they intend to restore a "shell building" with no roof (and add an additional story) into a mixed-use building with 10 apartments and ground-floor commercial, along with the layout for the parking lot across the street indicating at least four infill houses are on the way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations