HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Today, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The current hotel is a dump, and has very low rates. So maybe the hotel use is safe, but not that operator & brand. That tower will need a full redevelopment. And it's enormous, something like 1,300 rooms. Very hard to fill when there isn't a special event.

I'd bet a hotel use would be combined with residential, which is likely a safer long-term play. Do a luxury 400-room hotel, and convert the rest to high end rentals.
I'm not sure that the shape of the building is conducive to residential, but I'll leave that to the architects to discuss. I do have a hard time believing that Marriott is ready to walk away from that property. Marriott just upgraded all of the rooms in the Westin Book Cadillac. Marriott also just signed on to bring the first JW Marriott to Metro Detroit at the former Joe Louis Arena site, which is just a a stone's throw from the RenCen. They are by far the most bullish hotel chain on downtown Detroit, so it would be a big surprise to me if they pulled out of this property.

I think what is most likely to happen is the demolish most of the office towers and then build residential towers in their place. They'll also try to restore some of the street grid and reconnect it to the rest of downtown. The redevelopment of that site will center on the hotel tower. They'll also probably try to develop an urban destination center with retail, restaurants, and probably a grocery store. Probably something like a small scale Deutsche Bank Center (formerly the TimeWarner Center).

Old Posted Today, 6:16 PM

lol made an entire thread to discuss delusional fan-fiction.

Old Posted Today, 6:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lol made an entire thread to discuss delusional fan-fiction.
Reputable local newspapers, based on their sources, are reporting that possible demolition of some of the complex is in fact on the table for the Ren Cen's next stage of life.

That doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion (duh), but it's also hardly "delusional fan-fiction".

Given the complex's iconic status, folks at SSP are going to talk about it.

Better for it to be in a separate thread than have it clutter up the Hudson Tower thread.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Today, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If you're in LA, it has more or less the same interior feel as the Westin Bonaventure, but supersized. A 1970's vision of the future. Quite interesting but also weird.
Yes, and I love the Bonaventure! The Winter Garden and overall size/scale seem like significant differences between the Ren Cen and the Bonaventure, though. In general, I love 50s-70s futurism.

Old Posted Today, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Reputable local newspapers, based on their sources, are reporting that possible demolition of some of the complex is in fact on the table for the Ren Cen's next stage of life.

That doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion (duh), but it's also hardly "delusional fan-fiction".

Folks at SSP are going to talk about it.

Better for it to be in a separate thread than have it clutter up the Hudson Tower thread.
The local papers are regurgitating the same clickbait they've done for months because it gets attention. There's not any new information.

The article is paywalled but from what I could gather, a local architecture firm did some analysis about demolition. Means absolutely nothing.

It is extremely delusional for anybody to think there's gonna be any tower demolition here in our lifetimes. Nobody is paying for that, which I explained multiple times. But I guess a few folks really have nothing better to do.

There's no proposal here, so this clearly doesn't deserve a thread in this area. More appropriate for the skybar.

Old Posted Today, 8:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I'm so confused.

- A sourced report from a newspaper with a 193 year record of quality journalism.

OR

- Some guy on the internet who didn't even read the article yelling about how it's all just a bunch of bullshit.

I just don't know which viewpoint to put more stock in

Old Posted Today, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm so confused.

- A sourced report from a newspaper with a 193 year record of quality journalism.
So you read the article beyond the clickbait title? Who even is the source? Is there even anything besides opinion and speculation? Did Mary Barra make an announcement?

Quote:
OR

- Some guy on the internet who didn't even read the article yelling about how it's all just a bunch of bullshit.

I just don't know which viewpoint to put more stock in????????
I mean, that's exactly what all of you are too lmao. Internet randoms making things up.

I don't really care what you put stock into. But there's this thing called critical thinking, you believe any headline just because it's from a newspaper? Detroit Freep is hardly even that reputable. Not like it's Associated Press or something.

I mean whatever, this whole thing has just reached a level of stupidity that's just kinda baffling.

Old Posted Today, 8:12 PM

Even the CEO of the company that owns the building didn't outright deny demolition when she easily could have. There's nothing else that would explicitly prevent a demolition.

Old Posted Today, 8:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
So you read the article beyond the clickbait title?
Yes. Many paywalls are pretty easy to get around if you know where to look.

Quote:
Who even is the source?
People inside the ongoing negotiations of what to do with the Ren Cen who spoke to the freep on condition on anonymity. From their info, it's quite clear that partial demolition is in fact one if the options being discussed at a high level. It's not just "delusional fan fiction" at this point.

Hence the thread to discuss this news.

Quote:
Did Mary Barra make an announcement?
No.

Old Posted Today, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Even the CEO of the company that owns the building didn't outright deny demolition when she easily could have. There's nothing else that would explicitly prevent a demolition.
Not this again. Reading into her PR speak non-answer she gave to avoid an off topic question at a random event.

However they have explicitly stated they're finding use for the buildings and working with Bedrock to do possible renovations many times. But that doesn't count?

Until somebody with real means and control of any of this announced something about demolition, it's nothing but speculation AKA fantasy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals