HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:13 AM

Oldest tower crane (?) in Metro Vancouver taken down last month in Maple Ridge at the Justice Institute. Been there at least 30 years and wasn't even used for anything.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2LN3xBS-CN/?img_index=10

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:08 AM

Thank you Maddog for cleaning things up. I too have been super busy and have not had the appropriate time to work on updates and clean ups. Also, Heads up everyone I was approached by BIV looking to know more about our count and want to publish the data. I have asked they post a request to publish publicly if they do go ahead and you all can decide how you would like credit to be attributed to any story they post linked to this. I just wanted to let you all know in the spirit of transparency and this list we have would not be possible with out everyone here.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 4:12 AM

I try to keep it updated as best as possible (I'm willing to admit that includes some on foot scouting) but work has me out of town for extended periods (on the order of months).
The list has lost some of the interest it had previously here but there are still a few of us making updates. To be honest I myself have lost much of the motivation I previously had to keep this up to date.

Given how infrequently and accurately some regions are updated I feel a bit awkward having "the data" published. Do you know what type of article they are planning on making?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:49 PM

Never mind - I guess the Telus Garden crane was removed back in March!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:54 PM

I still try and update it a lot, but I'll be honest I've just gotten too busy since I first created the thing (and someone... I think Galaxy) kindly ported it into Google docs, which was a great idea.

I think the west side of the metro is pretty accurate, I get the NS, west side and downtown stuff updated very frequently, but I can't vouch for further east, especially the tri cities and non-Whalley surrey stuff.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Not too surprising, downtown is pretty built out already.

I just added 5055 Joyce and took down the last Concord Brentwood crane as that came down a couple of days ago.

Thanks to everyone for helping maintain this, it's pretty incredible how well this is working and the numbers we're seeing.

I think the NS is in need of an update so I'll try and get on a drive through there one of these days, but the weekends have just been jam packed of late.
Downtown Vancouver is quite built-out, but the main reason for this dismal construction activity is because developers are avoiding building here. As stated many times before, policies created in the past are simply not conducive, and in fact driving away many potential developers to build elsewhere. Despite downtown Montreal and Toronto being pretty built-out, the primary construction activities are still in the respective downtown proper.

With that said, perhaps from now on, the Broadway Corridor should be included with downtown Vancouver. At least with this area added, the share of cranes increases to a more respectable 11.8%.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I try to keep it updated as best as possible (I'm willing to admit that includes some on foot scouting) but work has me out of town for extended periods (on the order of months).
The list has lost some of the interest it had previously here but there are still a few of us making updates. To be honest I myself have lost much of the motivation I previously had to keep this up to date.

Given how infrequently and accurately some regions are updated I feel a bit awkward having "the data" published. Do you know what type of article they are planning on making?
Honestly no clue what kind of article but based on cranes accidents around lately it maybe about that!

When I started the current count I had a lot more time so I would literally go around metro and count and all. I now work two full time jobs and am going to school too so this has definitely not been top priorities. I use to be able to look at the skyline and say yes that cranes for that project now no so sure any more. I feel like in another year or so maybe life on my end get a little lighter and maybe this takes a bigger focus then but who knows....

@Leftcoaster thank you also for your contributions its appreciated! I think we all are at a point in our lives where we are just to stretched!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues