PDA

View Full Version : London Construction - Development News Thread#1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

ldoto
Aug 15, 2005, 4:18 AM
Highrise gets OK

North London residents are bitterly disappointed with the OMB decision.

A controversial luxury highrise condominium in north London has been given the green light by the Ontario Municipal Board.

The board overturned a city council decision rejecting the $20-million proposal by the Tricar Group to build a 64-unit, 12-storey building on land previously zoned for low-rise development.

"I'm very pleased with the board's decision, but I'm not surprised," Joe Carapella, president of Tricar, said yesterday.

Carapella said he hopes to break ground on the project on Richmond Street North in early October.

But residents in the area are bitterly disappointed, mostly because the decision ignores a community plan -- approved in the late 1990s and later upheld by the OMB -- that targeted the land for low-rise, medium-density development.

"This really calls into question the integrity of the community planning process," said Gloria McGinn-McTeer, president of the Stoneybrook Heights/Uplands Residents Association. "It's just another case of a developer doing what they want under the guise of smart growth when it's simply profiteering at the expense of the neighbourhoods."

On Jan. 24, council voted 10-9 against a staff recommendation backing the proposal. Tricar appealed soon after.

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco was among those who opposed the development and shared McTeer's concern about the community planning process.

"That's why I supported the residents at the time," she said. "I thought that was a compelling argument, but obviously that wasn't enough for the OMB."

Now residents fear more highrise development ahead.

That's because city staff not only backed Tricar's proposal, but recommended adjacent land be zoned for highrise.

"The big concern now is that there will be a whole row of highrises there," said McGinn-McTeer, past president of the Urban League of London.

"And this just sets the stage for that and it will change the whole character of the neighbourhood," McGinn--McTeer said.

But Rob Panzer, the city's general manager of planning, said staff have no plan to rezone adjacent land.

"Council has already made a decision on that and, unless they tell us differently, I don't think we'd be bringing that forward," Panzer said.

Carapella said residents will be surprised by the quality of the development.

"This won't be a cheap project. It will be a project that suits the area and, hopefully, one the neighbourhood is proud of," Carapella said.

"And I think it will give residents in north London an option as they grow older that isn't there right now."

Carapella said he'll keep as many trees as possible. "You don't take down trees unless you have to because they will help sell the building."

That's key for Uplands resident Kelly Mancari, who lives across the street: "If he leaves those trees in front, that was one of my main concerns."

Controversy again erupted after Tricar filed its appeal and three planning committee members -- the chairperson, Coun. Cheryl Miller, Controller Bud Polhill and Coun. Roger Caranci -- voted not to have legal representation at the hearing. Council overturned that decision.

Caranci was pleased with the OMB decision.

"I thought from the beginning it was an extremely well-planned development in a perfect location, close to amenities and shopping," he said. "I think the OMB decision reinforces that."

Tricar lawyer Allan Patton said council's opposition was "politically motivated" and said the OMB decision reflected the lack of high-density zoning in the area.

"That deficit only exists in north London and the board found that to be a major flaw," Patton said. "And that flaw is directly related to political interference in the planning process by councillors for wards 1 and 2. Thank heavens for the OMB."

Ward 2 Coun. Joni Baechler, who led council opposition, could not be reached. But wardmate Coun. Rob Alder maintained there is ample high-density zoning north of Sunningdale Road.

"I believe council should be able to have influence over plans and make decisions based on what we feel is in the best interest of our community, so I don't think it was unreasonable to take the position we took," Alder said.

Copyright © The London Free Press

ldoto
Aug 15, 2005, 12:23 PM
Building boom remains strong

Seven months into 2005, London's construction sector is showing no sign of tailing off.

To the end of July, the value of construction permits issued this year was $379.1 million, slightly less than last year's $381.9 million over the same period.

Last year was a record for construction in London as the city issued permits worth $647 million.

At the beginning of 2005, Rocky Cerminara, London's director of building controls, predicted the value of construction would fall to $480 million this year.

"I would have thought we'd start seeing the gap (in the value of construction permits) widening by now," Cerminara said with a chuckle.

"But I don't mind being wrong about this."

Sparking the continued boom is residential construction, including an unexpected $14-million apartment building in south London.

That alone brought the value of apartment building permits to about $50 million this year compared to none in the first seven months of 2004. Permits for multi-unit buildings for 2004 totalled $41.5 million.

Also fueling the continued boom is townhouse construction with permits valued at $43.4 million issued to date compared to $24 million for the same period last year.

Single-family residential construction is down to $124.2 million for 2005 compared to last year's total of $133.2 million.

Cerminara said residential construction was expected to exceed last year's because of a run on permit applications last fall as builders tried to beat a development fee hike.

Builders have six months to submit the applications with accompanying building fees.

Industrial-related building, including new projects, expansions and other activity total $30.7 million, well ahead of last year's $13 million.

Likewise, commercial-related projects, including new buildings and expansions, have climbed to $61.6 million from $31.2 million last year, also due to an expected hike in development fees.

But the sector Cerminara points to as supporting his original forecast is institutional construction. The building of schools, post-secondary facilities and hospital projects has cooled off significantly to $45.6 million from last year's $85.3 million

"It's not residential construction that causes you to see an extra $300-million jump in permit values, it's institutional, industrial and ommercial activity," Cerminara said.

"You just can't sustain that kind of construction activity with residential alone. It may go over the $480 million I projected, but not by much."

MolsonExport
Aug 16, 2005, 5:06 PM
I wish more of London's highrises would be concentrated in the central core. There are mini-clusters of medium-rise condos/apartment buildings scattered all over the city, but proportionately, few in the centre core.

the pope
Aug 16, 2005, 6:14 PM
but then coming from most american cities with similar sizes, london blows them away......

anywho, any updates on the old library condos?

London Guy
Aug 16, 2005, 8:40 PM
Where's this 14 million dollar building in the south they are talking about? The only real construction I know of is the new hotel and the new location for the Power Station on Exeter Road just east of Wellington.

ldoto
Aug 22, 2005, 11:42 PM
Some pics from downtown london of a 14 story Affordable Housing Program. It good to see Program like this in the city.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3132.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3136.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3138.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3135.jpg

ldoto
Aug 24, 2005, 1:23 AM
London homeowners are facing rate increases of about 10 per cent a year for five years.

London taxpayers face a $1 billion bill over the next 20 years to get the city's sewer system in shape, city staff say.

And that means sewer rate increases of about 10 per cent, or $38.35, a year for the average homeowner over the next five years.

The news arrived in a report from staff at last night's environment and transportation committee meeting.

"The sewer system has been underfunded for decades and it's in a big hole and we have to start trying to climb out of it," city engineer Peter Steblin said in an interview. "We're fighting a number of things -- an aging infrastructure that's not in great shape, changing environmental standards, and there are growth issues."

New provincial regulations under the Sustainable Water and Sewage Systems Act, come into force this fall.

The city spends about $35 million a year on sewers. Steblin said the rate increases will enable the city to spend an average of $50 million a year to get the sewer system in shape.

The city's needs include:

- $600 million to replace aging sewers;

- $250 million for flood relief, sewer separation, facilities to handle combined sewer and storm water overflows, treatment of storm runoff and upgrades to sewage plants;

- $70 million related to growth;

- The establishment of a rate stabilization fund to offset lower revenues and a capital reserve fund of $13 million to $18 million for unexpected system failures.

The staff report seeks council's approval for principles, including setting up a reserve fund, increasing the amount of old sewer replacement, debt limits, reserve funds and a pay-as-you-go fund.

Steblin said deteriorating sewer systems are a problem in older cities, either because the systems were ignored or the demands on tax dollars for other priorities were too high.

Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell, the budget chief, said he's aware of the problem and it needs more discussion.

"Obviously we want to maintain our infrastructure at a level people expect us to," he said.

"But if we have to spend that money then maybe there will have to be cuts to other programs or other spending will have to be postponed."

Gosnell said taxpayers can only bear so much fiscal pressure.

"We'll have to look at the total impact of it on the ability of corporations and citizens to carry that burden."

One option staff offered but isn't recommending is a one-time increase on sewer bills of $70 to $100 a year.

"I wouldn't support that option," Gosnell said.

Steblin said symptoms of the deteriorating sewer system are collapses of sewer lines, such as one at Waterloo Street last week, overflows in heavy rains and leaks that allow sewage to get into storm sewers and the Thames River -- a growing environmental concern due to tougher provincial regulations.

Staff will submit a another more detailed report in a few months that will identify major projects and costs.

:nuts:

ldoto
Aug 26, 2005, 1:12 AM
Here's some pics from the New student Dormitory Building at The University of Western Ontario right off Western Road. There also was a couple more buildings being built in the campus.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3155.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3160.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3154.jpg

London Guy
Aug 26, 2005, 1:27 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the construction that might be gearing up on the 401? All summer I've seen stakes being set out from Highbury to the 402. Around Wellington Road, you can see how the stakes actually look like the ramps are being pushed further back and how the 401 would look like it is going to 3 lanes in each direction.

ldoto
Aug 29, 2005, 9:06 PM
New Hooters Restaurant Opening up in london on Wharncliffe road with a new strip mall.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3130.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3131.jpg

itom 987
Aug 30, 2005, 1:10 AM
Lookin' good London!

the pope
Aug 30, 2005, 3:32 AM
wharncliff blows

MolsonExport
Aug 30, 2005, 12:48 PM
'A lot of memories went up in smoke'

Auld lang syne
Firefighter recalls times past at historic dance hall
Plans still alive
KELLY PEDRO AND KATE DUBINSKI, Free Press Reporters 2005-08-30 01:49:03

Concert promoter Don Jones was heading to Centennial Hall yesterday when he saw thick smoke billowing into the sky.

He never thought it was from a fire ravaging the historic entertainment complex his father, Charles, and uncle, Wilf Jones, built 70 years ago.

"It makes me sick to my stomach," Jones said after hearing about the blaze at Wonderland Gardens.

"The city leaving it this long to do something, I've always worried about kids breaking in."

Jones worked at the family-owned Wonderland Gardens, helping bring in such big acts as rocker Alice Cooper.

His brother, Chuck, who took over the business when their uncle died in 1971, couldn't be reached for comment.

London's fire department, city police and the Ontario fire marshal's office are investigating the cause of the noon-hour blaze that ripped through the landmark dance hall.

As part of the complex was reduced to rubble and ashes, emotional reactions poured in from Londoners who felt a connection to the storied site.

"I'm absolutely devastated that could happen," said Douglas Flood, who works at the nearby Guy Lombardo Music Centre and celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary there.

"I don't know what to say. That's the worst news I've had."

A shocked Dolly Bouk broke down when told of the fate of the hall she's loved since the 1930s.

"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry. I'm very upset."

Her connection to the Gardens pre-dates its construction. Her husband, Jack, helped his father clear the land for the Gardens before it opened.

Jack continued working there part time, parking cars.

The couple danced many a night away at the Gardens and became close friends of Chuck Jones.

"We just saw him the other day. He still gets upset about it."

Bouk blames city hall for the closing and neglect of city-owned Wonderland Gardens.

"London used to have a historical tradition," she said.

"Now, it's getting to be run of the mill."

The Jones family operated the facility until 2003, when a dispute over the lease with the city prompted operator Chuck Jones to quit the business.

The site has been unused since January 2004.

The city was debating what to do with the land and buildings until yesterday's fire.

The city had asked an advisory committee to come up with reasons to designate the Gardens as a heritage site, but the city hadn't moved forward to formalize the designation.

"Even though there's no official designation, everyone in the historic and heritage community considers it a heritage site," said committee chairperson Joe O'Neil.

George Sinclair, executive director of the Urban League of London, said the blaze shortens the debate on how the city should use the site.

"The thing with heritage buildings is it's like the extinction of an animal -- you can't get it back," Sinclair said.

"What can you say? It will be upsetting to a lot of people. The efforts (to restore it) will suffer a potentially fatal blow."

O'Neil remains optimistic the Gardens still could be restored.

"There's a Chinese saying -- opportunity and disaster are sometimes the same word."

Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell said the fire will be a blow to many city residents.

"For me, personally, and for a lot of Londoners, a lot of memories just went up in smoke," he said.

Gosnell has lobbied colleagues to raise money for Wonderland Gardens by selling nearby parkland to developers planning a high-rise building.

While Gosnell didn't discuss those efforts last night, he said the fire -- awful as it was -- might end the stalemate over the site's future.

"Hopefully it will spur a commitment," he said.

ldoto
Aug 30, 2005, 11:36 PM
Here's some new pics of wellington place condominium suites on wellington and Pall.:laugh:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3180.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3181.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3183.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3184.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3185.jpg

ldoto
Sep 1, 2005, 2:53 AM
The $13-million is part of a larger pot for affordable housing across Ontario.

Federal Housing Minister Joe Fontana today will announce $13 million to help London families struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

It's part of a $402-million announcement by Fontana in Toronto to start getting affordable housing money flowing to 47 Ontario centres under a federal-provincial program.

Seven Southwestern Ontario municipalities, including London, will share more than $23 million for 265 new affordable housing units and for 390 rent supplements.

The money is available for new housing projects and soon will be in the form of $150-a-month supplements for housing units that are now vacant.

For London, 145 new units will be funded for $10.15 million and supplements for 210 units will amount to another $2.9 million.

Fontana, who's also the federal labour minister and the MP for London-North-Centre, and Ward 7 Coun. Susan Eagle, a housing activist, described the funding as positive but overdue.

"This is good news for London, especially the 400 or 500 families who have been waiting a long time," Fontana said yesterday.

"We're back in the business of housing," he said, noting $24 million has been set aside to fast-track the development of 500 affordable housing units immediately across Ontario.

He noted Ottawa has re-entered social housing after long negotiations with the province.

Ontario got out of the social housing business after the Mike Harris-led Conservatives swept to power a decade ago.

"This is pretty good for London," Eagle agreed, but said she has some concerns, such as fears the modest $150 rent supplement that won't rise in the next five years.

She's also concerned that to qualify, families will have to leave where they live to move into eligible units.

Eagle said the most positive aspect of Fontana's plan is that it will deal with real need and is not based on growth, as Toronto-area centres were demanding and which would have reduced London's share.

As for the supplements, she called them shallow. "But will it help 210 households?" she added. "Yes, it will."

Fontana said the $402 million is the first wave of the $602 million approved for the entire affordable program.

He said he's happy it mixes construction of affordable housing with rent supplements, which should help deal with high vacancy rates.

"Yes, some people will have to move," Fontana said of the subsidy plan, but the intention is to ensure families live in approved, good-quality housing that meets their needs.

He said too many Londoners run the risk of becoming homeless and others exist only by "couch surfing" for their next bed.

HOUSING FUNDING

- London: 145 new affordable housing units for $10.15 million and 210 rent supplements for $2.9 million.

- St Thomas: 25 units for $1.75 million, 30 rent supplements for $270,000.

- Stratford: 15 units for $1.05 million, 20 rent supplements for $220,000.

- Lambton County: 25 units for $1.75 million, 40 supplements for $460,000.

- Chatham-Kent: 15 units for $1.05 million, 40 supplements for $380,000.

- Oxford County: 25 units for $1.75 million, 30 supplements for $320,000.

- Huron County: 15 units for $1.05 million, 20 supplements for $190,000.

ldoto
Sep 2, 2005, 1:55 PM
Office space in suburban areas is in short supply.

A tight supply of suburban office space is spurring a new development in south London.

Plans are in the works to construct two office-commercial buildings totalling 60,000 square feet at a business park at Bradley Avenue and Dearness Drive, said Peter Whatmore, senior vice-president of CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

The building is being developed by the owners of the business park, GWL Realty Advisors, a subsidiary of Great-West Life Assurance Co.

A survey just released by CB Richard Ellis shows vacancy rates for suburban office space in London at about five per cent.

"It's a trend that's seen around the country. There's a lot of push into the suburban marketplace," Whatmore said.

Although the City of London planning policy encourages commercial development in the core, he said some companies favour suburban sites because of the nature of their business.

He said several office developments have changed hands recently, including several buildings in the Station Park office complex, a commercial building on North Centre Road and a building at Oxford Street West at Platts Lane.

Whatmore said investors who make upgrades on property are getting a good return on their investment.

In contrast to the suburbs, the vacancy rate in the downtown core is still stubbornly high at 15.7 per cent.

Whatmore said the high vacancy rate is misleading because there has been substantial leasing activity.

But he said the gradual conversion of Galleria London from retail to office space has added almost 500,000 square feet to the downtown office inventory.

"It makes it look like the core is not performing well, but we are having a record year in office leasing and most of it is in the core."

Whatmore said there has been a gradual shift into premium office space in the core, adding buildings such as One London Place are in demand and have low vacancy rates.

RECENT MAJOR LEASE DEALS

SIZE (in square feet) TENANT ADDRESS

30,000 AXA Insurance 250 York St.

26,000 TD Waterhouse 380 Wellington St.

22,000 Alliance icommunications 355 Wellington St.

21,000 McCarthy Tetrault LLP 255 Queens Ave.

20,000 CIBC 355 Wellington St.

ldoto
Sep 3, 2005, 2:53 PM
London market in top 10

SHARON HO, Free Press Reporter 2005-09-03 01:40:54

Covent Garden Market is one of the 10 best markets in Canada to shop at, according to VIA Rail.

The railway company annually compiles a list of the top markets in Canada for its Destinations magazine.

This year is the first time Covent Garden Market made the list.

"I felt quite proud," Bob Usher, Covent Garden Market's general manager, said.

"I feel it's a tribute to our vendors. We've got a great building and phenomenal and superior vendors."

Destinations described the historic market as "on a daily basis, quality farm-fresh products are available at this indoor downtown market--from organic produce and meats to chocolate truffles."

Covent Garden Market's been in London since 1845.

Some vendors have been there a long time, such as Havaris Produce, which has been in the market since 1912.

A new building for the market was erected in 1999.

"The vendors are all owner-operators," Usher said.

"It's all mom-and-pop operations. We don't have any chains. We're trying to bring a unique and interesting marketplace (to London)."

The article can be read online at Via's website, www.viarail.ca/destinations/en_index_dest.html

ldoto
Sep 9, 2005, 4:53 AM
Wal-Mart is returning to southwest London.

The American retail giant is poised to open a store at Wonderland and Southdale roads and is finalizing plans with Southside Group Ltd. and its owner, Vito Frijia.

"We are optimistic we can work out a mutually acceptable deal," Frijia said. "We have to finalize the lease and order the steel, but we're now talking about opening in the summer of 2006."

Frijia is building a major one-million-square-foot commercial development at Wonderland and Southdale -- the former Wally World site -- and was in talks earlier this year with Wal-Mart.

Talks broke down, however, over the issue of who was going to build the store. Frijia confirmed he will build and own the site and lease it back to Wal-Mart. The retail giant has also altered its usual building code plans.

"Our objective is to retain our lands and find long-term leases," he said. "One of the issues we have always had is getting Wal-Mart to upgrade building designs and they have agreed."

Wal-Mart spokesperson Kevin Groh confirmed the retailer is "optimistic" a deal can be worked out. "It makes sense for us; it is filling a gap."

Wal-Mart will join Home Depot on the site, along with East Side Mario's and The Beer Store relocating from Westmount Shopping Centre.

Frijia owns much of the commercial developments on Wonderland north and south of Southdale.

A Shopper's Drug Mart is also moving from Westmount to a former grocery store on Wonderland, just north of Southdale. And Mark's Work Wearhouse is considering locating next to the Boston Pizza at the intersection, while Canadian Tire and Loblaws are already discussing expansion plans, said Frijia.

Bruce Henry, manager of site plan approval for the city, said Italian grocery and food store Angelo's is also looking at the area -- beside the Athletic Club -- and a self-storage business is locating at the former Canadian Tire store just north of Southdale.

First Pro Shopping Centre, the developer for Wal-Mart stores, has also bought land at Exeter and Wonderland roads.

the pope
Sep 9, 2005, 7:13 AM
and the suburbinization of london continues......

a freakin awesome core with great potential, but the burbs man, oh man the burbs.........

(yes i know wallmart isn't instigating the sprawl, just a confirmation of)

ldoto
Sep 13, 2005, 4:40 PM
London taxpayers could pay an extra $1 million a year to attract high-tech business if council adopts a plan comparing the city to economic powerhouses in the U.S.

The plan, to be presented tomorrow to the city's board of control, is backed by groups being funded to lure business and stimulate home-grown enterprise -- the London Economic Development Corp. (LEDC), TechAlliance of Southwestern Ontario and the Stiller Centre for Biotech-nology Commercialization.

The plan, which would phase in spending increases over five years, was praised by London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco, who said yesterday, "It's insightful, it's bold and it's very strategic."

It's too soon to know what level of funding is needed, but it's clear the city must spend more to attract investment as it did when it bought and serviced industrial land, she said.

"I think the plan should be supported," she said.

The plan's author is Paul Paolatto, president of Tech Alliance and a director of that group and LEDC.

Paolatto says economic development in recent years has brought lots of jobs, but most have been low-paying, service-sector posts.

"There hasn't been a lot of new manufacturing or high-tech jobs. That's a concern," he said yesterday.

The plan itself is blunt:

"London still lags behind other communities of comparable size . . . Outsiders continue to perceive London as a comparatively lethargic business community."

LEDC president John Kime couldn't be reached yesterday.

The comparisons made in the plan are ambitious, Paolatto said. In addition to Ottawa and Kitchener, London was compared to five of the fastest-growing, mid-sized cities in the U.S.: Boston, Mass.; Austin, Tex.; San Diego, Calif.; Minneapolis, Minn.; and the research triangle around Raleigh, N.C.

The plan is also optimistic in its five-year targets:

- Add 10,000 new jobs, quadruple the number of fastest-growing companies and increase the percentage of high-end jobs in the workforce from 28 per cent to 35 per cent.

- Increase by one-third the number of post- secondary graduates who stay here.

Though preliminary, the plan outlines key components, including:

- More tax dollars for LEDC, TechAlliance and the Stiller Centre -- an increase of 74 per cent by 2010 compared to 2004, reaching a peak of more than $2.4 million. The money would enable those groups to increase their staff by 39 per cent, from 16.5 to 23.

- The city would guarantee one-third of business loans to qualifying companies up to a total of $15 million over five years. The loans would be of the higher-risk, higher-benefit variety, said Paolatto, and the city could make or lose money.

- The city would do more to grow businesses based here to counter the exodus of head offices in recent decades.

- LEDC, TechAlliance and the Stiller Centre would operate in a more co-ordinated manner to improve the efficiency of their efforts.

The plan got a cool reception last month from London's chamber of commerce.

The chamber submitted comments to council that were skeptical not only of the plans, but of the track record of the groups whose funding would increase as result of it:

- "Stiller Centre needs to be weaned off the city subsidy."

- "LEDC . . . needs to account for their yearly existence -- Londoners need real facts and real financial reports to support the increasing staff complement and associated expenses."

MolsonExport
Sep 13, 2005, 6:54 PM
This kinda sucks, as I live right across the street from Westmount mall. Sure I have a car, and Southdale is close by, but what will happen to the mall? Imagine if Sears and/or Zellers were to pull out...it would join the ranks of dead malls.

ldoto
Sep 15, 2005, 3:14 PM
It's still being built, but the phones are already ringing off the hook with buyers looking for a piece of London's newest industrial park.

Speculation is rampant London could draw an auto parts plant to its new Airport Road South industrial park because of its proximity to a planned Toyota car assembly plant near Woodstock.

John Kime, president of the London Economic Development Corp., confirmed the interest, but wouldn't talk specifics.

"We're working with a number of companies that have expressed an interest in London," he said yesterday.

"But, in our business, a deal isn't a deal until it's signed."

Toyota announced in July it will build an $800-million assembly plant in Oxford County that will employ 1,300.

Experts say as many as 9,000 spinoff jobs could be created across Southwestern Ontario.

Included among those, the new plant is expected to produce about 3,000 higher-paying manufacturing jobs spanning an area from Kitchener to London.

Parcels of the 48-hectare, first phase of the industrial park -- bounded by Hamilton Road, Airport Road, Victoria Side Road and Bradley Avenue -- go up for sale in November.

Kime agreed there are expectations auto parts makers would be interested in London because of its proximity to the Toyota plant.

"There have always been rumours like that and I obviously can't comment on the stuff we're working on," he said

"But I can say we're as busy as we've ever been."

Kime also declined to predict how fast the first phase of the city-owned, 243-hectare industrial park will sell out.

"I don't want to put a time horizon on it, but when the city built the Forest City park, it was expected to last 10 years and it sold out (almost) in three."

City staff say inquiries for land range from four-hectare to 20-hectare parcels.

Kime said a 20-hectare lot could handle a 500,000 square-foot building, "and that's huge."

"But, also, a lot of companies starting out want large acreage because they want the flexibility to expand," he said.

When firms have that option, he said, it's "great" for the city because they "don't have to go looking elsewhere."

Kime praised city council's foresight for developing the land. "It's a great strategy for the long term."

Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco is delighted by the interest in London among manufacturers, including auto-related companies.

"I've learned some files take years to come to fruition, so I wouldn't want to tip our hand," she said. "But isn't it great where we're in a position now, having people knock on our door? We weren't saying that four years ago

ldoto
Sep 15, 2005, 3:42 PM
Here are a few new proposed & project for london that I could find.

Dufferin & Ridout 2006 (16 floors)
317 Southdale Road West (13 floors)
284 Wonderland Road (14 floors)
Former library A 25-storey residential tower that carries the Art Deco style!

P.S. I belive there are 4 to 5 cranes are up in london right now. :laugh:

ldoto
Sep 17, 2005, 1:27 PM
The City-owned Dearness Home for seniors officially opens at the corner of Southdale and Wellington this morning.
When the Dearness Home first opened in 1954, it was a state-of-the-art facility with 303 beds and was one of Ellis-Don's first major building projects. At that time, it was located in the country, past the city bus route.

The home was named after Dr. John Dearness, who was principal of London Teachers College from 1919 until 1938 and then was a Biology Professor at UWO for 20 years.

He died at the age of 102 in 1954.

Reports in the early 1990s identified a serious need for a modernized Dearness Home.

Construction on the new facility began in 2003.

The new Dearness Home will provide a more comfortable ‘homey’ approach with greater space, privacy and availability of health care support.

Rising to five stories, it will be London’s newest long term care facility with nine resident home areas for 243 residents.

ldoto
Sep 17, 2005, 1:33 PM
Nail guns and power saws are buzzing at a near-record pace as London's construction scene heads into the final quarter of another busy year.

Though it's another banner year, it's unlikely last year's record of 4,954 building permits worth $647 million will be surpassed by Dec. 31, the city's director of building controls said yesterday.

A furious finish to 2004 was fuelled in large measure by a flood of permit applications before a substantial increase in residential development fees, said Rocky Cerminara.

"We had $75 million of work come in one week."

Smaller commercial and residential fee hikes this year haven't spurred the same rush of applications, Cerminara said.

Construction of single-family homes fell about 15 per cent in recent months and a run of projects in the education and health-care sectors tapered off, cutting institutional work by half.

"There's no more big projects on the books that could set a new record," said Cerminara.

Cerminara expects construction could total about $550 million by year's end, making it "a relatively good year," possibly the third-best behind last year and 2002, when construction first topped $600 million.

Nine months into 2005, construction in London is almost on pace with last year.

By the end of August, 3,498 permits valued at $432 million had been issued, compared with 3,396 permits valued at $435 million for the same period last year.

At Aug. 31, 168 permits for townhouse projects worth $46 million had been issued, compared with 114 permits and $31 million for the same period last year. The value of multi-family construction was $50 million, up from $41 million last year.

ldoto
Sep 21, 2005, 12:42 AM
Here are some new pics of 16 floors Luxury Apartments at 520 Talbot by Old Oak properties.
Also new under ground parking garage pics.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3187.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3189.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3191.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3192.jpg

ldoto
Sep 22, 2005, 12:20 AM
The John Labatt Centre sparks new enterprises on Dundas Street.

Eddy Phimphrachanh, owner and chef of the Thaifoon Restaurant, opened his doors at 120 Dundas St. Sept. 16.
The John Labatt Centre is being credited for a string of new developments on the west end of Dundas Street.

Janette MacDonald, manager of Mainstreet London, said most of the new activity is clustered on Dundas between Talbot and Wellington streets.

The development includes a restaurant, chocolate shop, furniture showroom, an affordable housing project and a condo conversion.

She said the close proximity to the John Labatt Centre is no coincidence.

"It's a huge factor. Everybody we have talked to said they chose downtown because of increased traffic due to the John Labatt Centre," said MacDonald.

The new businesses include:

- Thaifoon Restaurant opened last Friday at 120 Dundas St. The extensive interior renovations include a three-metre waterfall. Proprietor Eddy Phimphrachanh is only 20 years old but draws on a wealth of family experience in serving Thai and Asian food. His relatives own Pad Thai on Richmond Street and Thai House on Wellington Road.

- Randall Klein Designs has purchased a building at 115 Dundas to house a downtown showroom. The company manufactures furniture and has a showroom on Nightingale Street, just north of Dundas Street East.

- La Chocolaterie, a speciality chocolate shop operating in Covent Garden Market, is opening a new outlet at 119 Dundas.

- After several months of delay, a ground-breaking ceremony is scheduled for next month on a 25-unit affordable housing project on a vacant lot at 129-131 Dundas.

- The upper floors of the building next door, at 127 Dundas, are being converted to condominiums.

Farther east on Dundas Street, new businesses include:

- A Ming's Buffet at Clarence and Dundas streets, filling a key corner that has been vacant since last year when a Burger King outlet moved out.

- The building on Clarence Street that formerly housed the Ace Arcade and a movie theatre is being demolished to create a parking lot. Owner Shmuel Farhi said the building was in poor shape.

- Zen Gardens, a vegetarian restaurant, opened at 344 Dundas.

- Oxford Arms, a British- style pub, opened recently in a renovated Victorian home at Dundas near Waterloo Street.

MacDonald said the new activity is also boosting residential development, with several new condo apartment towers.

She believes the downtown population is reaching the point where it will attract more retailers, especially a supermarket that is badly needed in the core.

"We need to find a partner willing to think of a smaller store that carries the essentials."

the pope
Sep 22, 2005, 7:50 AM
The John Labatt Centre sparks new enterprises on Dundas Street.

She believes the downtown population is reaching the point where it will attract more retailers, especially a supermarket that is badly needed in the core.

dude there's american cities with smaller downtown populations and full scaler grocers and high end department stores and etc.

ldoto
Sep 26, 2005, 11:27 PM
The Salvation Army Centre of Hope is a new 93-unit Building.
(Competed in march 2005) 218-287 Wellington Street

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3202.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3198.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3200.jpg

ldoto
Sep 27, 2005, 9:21 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3204.jpg

The province is likely to announce the funds today for a children's hospital at LHSC.

Ending months of nervous waiting for London health officials, the Ontario government is expected to write a $100-million cheque today to turn an empty shell of a building into a high-tech children's hospital and women's health centre.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3209.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3211.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3212.jpg

The news is expected at the start of the annual meeting of the London Health Sciences Centre and follows an intensive review of the project, one of the largest construction jobs in the region's history.

Senior provincial politicians were tight-lipped yesterday about the new Children's Hospital of Western Ontario site, saying only that "it will be a good announcement."

Both Labour Minister Chris Bentley of London and Infrastructure and Renewal Minister David Caplan are to attend the London meeting.

"There is a lot at stake here for our community and there is a lot at stake for the region," said LHSC president Tony Dagnone.

"We are optimistic that we are going to get the necessary government approval."

The provincial government -- battling a budget deficit -- ordered a review of major hospital projects a year ago, raising the possibility some commitments could be abandoned.

In August, Health Minister George Smitherman signalled bad news was coming for some centres because the government didn't have the money to cover all the hospital projects previously approved.

That included communities where plans had been approved and required local money raised, he said.

One city in the London area still waiting for word on its hospital project is Woodstock.

Yesterday, a spokesperson for Caplan said the Woodstock hospital is still under consideration by Caplan's ministry.

"There have been a number of conversations around that particular project, but we haven't actually landed on a final decision on Woodstock," said Wilson Lee.

In London, construction of the 10-storey shell on Baseline Road for the children's hospital and women's health centre cost $80 million.

All of the interior work and equipment needed to turn the site into a hospital is expected to cost more than $100 million and will be finished in 2008 if the green light comes today.

Dagnone said the hospital has made "very strong representation" to the government on the critical importance of the project and has received the support of the city's MPPs.

Completion of the tower will allow the transfer of the high- risk baby and obstetrics program from St. Joseph's Health Care London, part of the restructuring of city hospitals.

Besides its medical profile, the project is economically key for London, Dagnone said.

ldoto
Sep 29, 2005, 9:41 PM
A city council committee recommends London spend more than $2.5 million to turn its bike paths into a full-blown bicycle roadway system.
The bicycle master plan was unveiled at a joint meeting of the environment and transportation and planning committees last night.
City staff are still working on details but have asked council to set aside $500,000 in each of the next five years to pay for signs and road lines.
"I think this is good for our city, the health of our citizens and the environment," said Controller Gord Hume.
Key recommendations:
- Marked bike lanes on wider roads, not paths along them.
- Bike lanes and routes designed for use by recreational users and commuters.
- Planning changes to ensure bicycle parking is provided at new apartment or offices.
- Amenities such as showers and change rooms, washrooms, drinking fountains, rest stops and scenic lookouts for cyclists.
- A public awareness campaign aimed at cyclists, drivers and pedestrians.
"What we found in our research is that a cycling network is only as good as the facilities that are there to support them," said city planner John Fleming.
Fleming said cycling is good for human and environmental health and eases the burden of rising automobile costs.
Committee members raised concerns, including whether cyclists will use the system in winter and whether winter road maintenance will suffice.
Jay Stanford, manager of environmental services, said some cyclists may opt to use public transit during the winter, or only on bad days.
"They may just shift practices for three months . . . but we'll have nine solid months (of cycling weather)," he said.
Coun. Bernie MacDonald suggested London Transit could revise a rack system on its buses so cyclists can take their bikes on the system.
Coun. Fred Tranquilli, the committee chairperson, was skeptical of the plan, saying he's not convinced people will stop driving to ride bikes.
"I wonder if this kind of investment is prudent when you consider four months of the year people don't ride bikes," he said.
But cycling advocates urged the committee to move ahead.

ldoto
Oct 1, 2005, 7:31 PM
Provincial funds announced yesterday will aid outpatient and mental health care projects.

London has landed another $200-million-plus for its hospitals.
Two days after approving a massive construction project at the London Health Sciences Centre, the province yesterday announced financing for even larger projects for St. Joseph's Health Care in London:
- About $80 million will go to projects at St. Joseph's Grosvenor Street facility to handle its change to serving more outpatients, including the urgent care centre, Ivey Eye Institute and Institute for Healthy Living.
- More than $100 million is approved for construction of two mental health facilities to replace the psychiatric hospitals in St. Thomas and London. The new London hospital will be built beside Parkwood Hospital and include 144 beds. The new St. Thomas facility will be built on the existing hospital site and will have 74 inpatient beds.
Ontario Infrastructure Minister David Caplan wouldn't release a precise figure, but said the projects would cost more than $200 million.
"London is certainly getting its share and more,"said London-North-Centre MPP Deb Matthews.
Cliff Nordal, president of St. Joseph's Health Care, welcomed the announcement.
"This is a wonderful day for us . . . an important advance in getting restructuring done," Nordal said.
Work at the Grosvenor Street hospital can go ahead immediately, Caplan said. Construction of the mental health facilities is scheduled to start in 2009.
Paul Caplan, chairperson of the St. Joseph's Hospital board, said yesterday's announcement came as a relief.
"London hospitals are so far down this road of hospital restructuring and renewal that I'm not sure what we would have done if our provincial government had not stepped up again," he said.
On Tuesday, David Caplan said LHSC had approval to complete the Children's Hospital of Western Ontario on Base Line Road and renovations at University Hospital, projects forecast to cost about $149 million.
Matthews said other communities might not be as fortunate as London in getting financial support from the province.
The province reviewed all capital projects over the last year that had been promised funding and found there wasn't enough money, or even construction capability in the province, to do everything, she said.
Caplan refused to say whether Woodstock would get approval for its new hospital, a project that has been waiting for approval for about a year.
"We still have some projects under consideration. Today is about London," he said.
To finance the St. Joseph's projects, the government is turning to the private sector under a program it has dubbed Alternative Financing and Procurement.
Consortiums will be asked to bid on putting up the money and doing the construction work. In turn, the province will pay the companies back over as long as 40 years, Caplan said.
Caplan said this is not privatization because the public sector maintains ownership of the hospitals.
He also rejected criticism from the New Democratic party that the new financing is a waste of money that will go toward lining the pockets of private investors.
Under alternative financing, the private investors guarantee delivering the project on time and on budget and pay any penalties if they fail.
"In fact, we will save considerable dollars," Caplan said.
Completion of the LHSC and St. Joseph's projects will empty the South Street hospital and the two former psychiatric hospitals.
South Street sits on city land and LHSC has promised to return it to the city in a green-field condition, said Controller Gord Hume.
The psychiatric hospitals are owned by the Ontario Realty Corp. Spokesperson Jim Butticci said Ontario Realty would first offer the facilities to other government ministries and then other levels of government. If none wanted them they would be put on the market.
The province has earmarked $5 billion for hospital projects over the next five years.

Dr Nevergold
Oct 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
How much do the affordable apartments go for, and what kinds of requirements do they have for leasing?

Are there any similar condo projects for more affordable housing?

ldoto
Oct 5, 2005, 4:15 PM
Downtown London's historic Duffield Block could soon return to its artistic roots.

Photographer Mike Mullan is in the process of renting the second floor of the building at Dundas and Clarence streets from owner Shmuel Farhi.

Mullan will take a portion of the fully-renovated, 5,000-square-foot space for his business, mlm photography. He plans to sublet the rest of the floor to other "artists and creative businesses."

Mullan said tenants in the building will have access to a common waiting area, kitchenette, bathrooms and a boardroom.

Bringing creative businesses together under one roof and sharing some amenities would return Duffield Block to its artistic origin as a concert hall.

Spettigue Hall opened in 1871 with a concert featuring a soprano from Detroit, backed by a 50-person chorus and an orchestra. There is also a legend that famed London artist Paul Peel had his first lesson in the building.

The building was renamed after it was purchased by the Duffield family and it later became home to the City Gas company.

Mullan said he already has some prospective tenants lined up.

He said the building's historic roots and high visibility will be appreciated by creative businesses who value downtown locations.

"I live in the downtown and I believe in the downtown," he said.

ldoto
Oct 7, 2005, 2:39 PM
A Toronto-based company, described as one of the biggest players in London's apartment building market, added to its holdings yesterday.

TransGlobe Property Management announced it closed the purchase of 563, 573 and 583 Mornington Ave.

The purchase price wasn't divulged, but George Georgopoulos, senior sales associate of Sutton Group Select Realty Inc., said the vendor was asking $50,000 a unit for the 386 units involved.

It's likely the buildings sold for less than the $19.3 million asking price, he said.

"There was a lot of interest in the buildings because there's not a lot available right now," said Georgopoulos, who was not involved in the transaction. "It's a decent purchase by a good company."

The three towers, located near Oxbury Mall southwest of Highbury Avenue and Oxford Street, are known as the High Park Place apartments and are classified as condominium properties.

They were holdings of the Taft Forward Property Management Group and principals Morris Kaiser and Shlomo Sharon of Toronto.

TransGlobe president Daniel Drimmer said the buildings are in an attractive area of London, not far from Fanshawe College.

"They haven't been particularly well maintained, but we'll be upgrading them, starting on Monday."

Upgrades will include facelifts to lobbies and corridors and installation of "energy-efficient and environmentally friendly features," Drimmer said.

TransGlobe entered the London market in a dramatic fashion in July 2002, when the company bought 22 apartment buildings containing 2,270 units from local property owner and developer Tony Graat at a cost a local realtor estimated at more than $160 million.

Before yesterday's purchase, the company owned 25 buildings with about 2,500 units on Castlegrove Boulevard, Kipps Lane, Proudfoot Lane, Queens Avenue, Richmond Street, Talbot Street, Waterloo Street and Wonderland Road.

"I love London," Drimmer said. "I love the city for its strong diverse economy and its diverse demographics of students, seniors and families."

TransGlobe's focus is on affordable mid-market properties, Drimmer said, "not low-end and not luxury apartments."

"It's a good market for us because we're in it for the long term."

Dale Bensette, vice-president and associate broker with the Royal LePage commercial group in London, said TransGlobe has become one of the biggest players in the multi-family residence market.

"They're very aggressive and eager to buy good quality mid-market properties. They're a solid company. They have significant cash flows from their apartment properties and office buildings that allows them to buy more."

TransGlobe owns 10,000 apartment units and four million square feet of commercial space across Canada.

:yes:

ldoto
Oct 9, 2005, 7:20 PM
Update!

Here are some Updated pics from the new above ground parking garage at 520 Talbot by Old Oak properties.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3254.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3256.jpg

MolsonExport
Oct 12, 2005, 6:13 PM
In the newspaper today (London Free Press), it was mentioned that there is a strong possibility that London may get a new Honda Automotive Assembly plant. This would be huge news for the city, with thousands of direct/indirect jobs.

ldoto
Oct 13, 2005, 4:35 AM
A variety of factors make London a top contender with the automaker reported to be eyeing a new plant, observers say.

London is a leading contender to land a new Honda Canada auto plant, business and industry officials say.

The company is reportedly looking at building a third assembly operation, with Ontario the likely destination.

Observers said yesterday there are few places left in the province that a major assembly plant could be built.

But London -- factoring in cost, workforce, geography, transportation and proximity to suppliers and market -- is one.

Among the reasons why:

- Honda has exhausted the workforce in Alliston, where its two plants employ 4,000, said Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association.

- High costs may keep Honda out of the Toronto area.

- The Kitchener-Woodstock corridor is "used up," Fedchun said, between the two Toyota plants in Cambridge, the Cami plant near Ingersoll and the new Toyota plant being built near Woodstock.

"They may skip over those areas and land in London," he said of Honda.

A new Honda auto assembly plant would be "west of Toronto and it will be close to Highway 401," said Carlos Gomes, automotive analyst with Scotiabank in Toronto.

"London is certainly a possibility -- you have the supplier base there," he said.

London, Brantford, Hamilton and Newmarket may contend for the plant, said Fedchun.

Chatham, he said, is too small a region and Windsor has a reputation for unionism. That will scare off the Japanese automaker, which doesn't have the Canadian Auto Workers union at its Alliston plants.

But even if it locates within an hour's drive of London, "it will still mean a big chunk of business" for the city, said Fedchun.

Honda, already an auto giant, is looking at increasing capacity in North America before the end of the decade because existing production won't be able to meet demand.

The company has quietly started the process of considering plans for a third assembly plant, likely in Ontario, media reports said yesterday.

The company has not made its intentions public.

The London Economic Development Corp. has contacted Ontario's Ministry of Economic Development and Trade to make its pitch to attract the plant, said John Kime, the corporation's president and chief executive.

"We already have our oar in the water on this one," Kime said. "We will compete very aggressively for this. We will figure out how to get to the right people at the automaker."

London has land available for a large plant, but it needs to be serviced and some of it is in private hands, said Kime.

Honda makes about 400,000 vehicles a year in Alliston.

"Honda's sales are taking off and they want to use Canada as a production base," said Gomes. "Canada has a cost advantage over the U.S. It has eroded, but it is still an advantage."

Wages are lower in Canada and low health-care costs also are attractive, he added.

Honda also has three major auto assembly operations in the U.S. and a small plant in Mexico.

It likely will make a decision within the next 12 to 18 months, in time to make new models for the North American market.

:laugh: :D :D

ldoto
Oct 13, 2005, 4:36 AM
Fontana urges London to bid for Honda plant

Federal Labour Minister Joe Fontana says London should go after a new Honda plant for Ontario, and he's willing to help out.

The Japanese auto giant, which has two assembly plants in Alliston and three major plants in the U.S., including in Ohio, is reported to be considering a new southern Ontario auto plant.

Fontana, Liberal MP for London-North-Centre, said Prime Minister Paul Martin helped land the new $800-million Toyota plant for the Woodstock area and could do the same thing for London.

"I'd very much like to see London make a pitch for Honda," Fontana said after yesterday's groundbreaking for the Toyota plant. "It should have made a pitch for Toyota."

Martin, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty and other top officials were in Blandford-Blenheim, near Woodstock, for yesterday's event.

Martin visited Toyota's world headquarters in Japan in January and pitched Ontario to the former president of the automotive giant.

Toyota acknowledged yesterday Martin played a key role in the decision to build Ontario's first entirely new auto plant in nearly 20 years.

Fontana said he hopes Honda will build its third Ontario plant in London.

Asked if he'd want Martin to unleash his powers of persuasion again, this time on Honda, with a trip to Japan, Fontana said: "If that's what it will take, I'll go with him. I'll even practise Japanese."

Fontana said Toyota never would have come to Canada if Martin hadn't intervened.

"He indicated personally he wanted that to happen," Fontana said. "I think he snatched it away from the United States, big time."

Honda reportedly is looking for a plant some distance from its two in Alliston, possibly in Southwestern Ontario.

The automaker is facing surging demand for its products, which has propelled it past Ford into third place in sales in Canada, and wants to increase production.

Ontario officials figure the province has the inside track.

"I am extremely optimistic that they will choose Ontario for the same reason that Toyota is expanding here," said Joe Cordiano, Ontario's economic development and trade minister.

McGuinty said Ontario's quality workforce, combined with medicare, is "one of our biggest competitive advantages" to attract automakers.

A decision by Honda is expected in 12 to 18 months.

Traditionally, Japanese auto officials keep a tight lid on expansion plans

ldoto
Oct 13, 2005, 5:01 AM
London gets another auto parts plant

Wed, October 12, 2005

London has landed another automotive parts plant, its second in a week, the London Economic Development Corp. announced yesterday.

Warren Industries, which makes stamped and welded assemblies for the North American automotive market, will open an 85,000-square-foot plant in London, employing more than 80 people.

"We did a great deal of research before deciding on London as the site of our new facility," said Ian Higgins, Warren's chief financial officer.

"As a world-class supplier to the automotive sector, we believe the infrastructure, vision and skilled workforce in London will allow us meet the challenges of the future."

Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers Association, said London's location and resources have made it attractive to parts makers.

"Where you are located is terrific. It is an excellent location between Toronto and the U.S.," Fedchun said. He added that London also has a "high quality workforce."

Warren has bought about 16 acres in the Forest City Industrial Park at Cheese Factory Road and Global Drive. Construction will begin in 2006, with production starting by this time next year.

"This is a company that supplies to other companies in London and they wanted to be closer to their customer base," said John Kime, LEDC chairperson and chief executive. "We worked closely with them and they came to the conclusion they have to be here."

Higgins also praised Kime and the LEDC for "how receptive and forward thinking the city was in their approach to economic development."

Forest City Industrial Park is almost filled, less than three years after it opened, said Kime.

Arkal Industries from Israel last week announced it will open an auto parts plant in the city, employing 15. In the past five years, London has landed eight other automotive assembly plants.

"You have a great economic development corporation and the person running it does a great job," Fedchun said of why London is successful
:cool:

ldoto
Oct 15, 2005, 1:13 PM
The prominent owners want council support for a zoning change which city staff oppose.

Some of London's biggest developers have been running, without city approval, a parking lot where a heritage building once stood, say city hall staffers trying to stop its use.

The Ridout Downtown Corp., whose members are a who's who of prominent businesspeople, have for more than a year owned the lot south of King Street across from the John Labatt Centre.

On Monday, they'll ask politicians on the city's planing committee to recommend a zoning change allowing the entire lot to be used for parking for at least three years.

The site used to include a building recommended for heritage designation -- the Ridout Tavern -- and a building on King that was one of the area's few remaining late 19th-century industrial buildings. Council voted, despite staff opposition, to allow demolition in May 2004, but that wasn't to allow a parking lot, staff say.

"There needs to be a clear message it's not acceptable to demolish heritage buildings in favour of parking lots," city land-use planning manager John Fleming said yesterday.

Council usually has supported that rationale since 1995, when it resolved not to let heritage buildings be torn down for parking lots, he said.

The battle over the King Street site won't be the first.

Three years ago, the property's former owner was convicted of illegally running a parking lot.

When the site was taken over by Ridout Downtown Corp., its members and some area businesses hailed the purchase and demolition as steps to redevelop a corner in a neighbourhood where taxpayers have invested a lot.

No wonder -- the members include Brayl Copp of Copp Building Materials Ltd., Glen Sifton of Sifton Properties Ltd., Andy Spriet of Spriet Associates, Vito Frijia of Southside Construction, Joe Carapella of the Tricar Group, Mitch Baran of Trudell Medical Group and businessperson Geno Francolini.

But city staff say a now-expanded parking lot has continued to operate without city approval, a claim Spriet doesn't deny.

"(The lot's) been like that 15 to 20 years . . . If (the city) wanted to stop parking, they had the power to enforce it . . . Don't expect us to enforce it."

A city official said yesterday staff agreed in the summer to allow parking -- pending a zoning decision -- restricted to a paved area on the site. Yesterday, vehicles were parked on gravel at the same location.

That was a mistake, Spriet said, caused by someone hired to run the business.

It makes no sense to oppose parking when the land might otherwise sit vacant, he said. "To say it's going to sit there and collect weeds is hardly progressive."

But staff see it differently, writing in a report that gaps in the streetscape hurt the JLC area while parking lots deter development. They point to former Smugglers' Alley on Clarence and Dundas streets, owned by many of the same members as the Ridout Downtown Corp.

That site has been a parking lot since 1999 and the owners plan to apply for another three-year zoning extension.

Spriet disagreed, saying patience is needed to hold out for development that will help downtown. The group recently rejected a major offer for the property because the buyer wanted to continue with a parking lot, he said

ldoto
Oct 15, 2005, 5:58 PM
Experts say the 25 percent increase in London home prices is due to low mortgage rates and more people moving to the city.
And prices will continue to climb according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation , particularly for empty nesters looking for condos, townhouses, and luxury apartments .
The CMHC says the market for first-time home buyers is also still growing, and will be a positive factor for the east end where residential construction is increasing because of land availability.
Also, the new Toyota Plant in Woodstock will help draw future home owners to the area and help boost consumer confidence.

ldoto
Oct 17, 2005, 2:06 PM
London International Airport Taking Off

Five years ago 90 percent of the people flying out of the London airport were Londoners.
Today, it's 45 percent, as more and more passengers from across the area are turning to the airport in London in order to avoid the hassles in Toronto.
On top of that passenger traffic has increased 24 percent in the same time period.
Airport management adds that it expects the growth to continue because the winter getaway season this year is being expanded from 3 month
:)

ldoto
Oct 18, 2005, 8:13 PM
Committee backs developers' bid for parking lot

Tue, October 18, 2005

If approved by council, Ridout Downtown Corp. can operate it for a year.

By JONATHAN SHER, Free Press City Hall Reporter

Some of London's biggest developers should be able to run a parking lot downtown where historic buildings once stood, city politicians recommended yesterday.

If council adopts the measure, Ridout Downtown Corp. will be able to legally operate, for at least one year, a lot on King Street across from the John Labatt Centre.

The vote by planning committee sparked sharp division over a parcel of land that everyone agreed was vital given how much the city had invested in the area.

"We're a little dismayed (city staff opposed changing zoning to allow parking)," Andy Spriet of Spriet Associates told the committee.

His comments sparked a rebuttal from a man who resides blocks away from the lot that's been operating despite lacking business licences and other city requirements.

"(You) have been illegally making money by allowing parking on the site," Joshua Horwitz said.

If Ridout Downtown Corp. makes money from the lot, it won't invest in development that draws people to live downtown, he said.

"Downtown will never (revitalize) if there's an amusement park of a few city-owned buildings surrounded by parking lots," he said.

Horwitz found little support with councillors Roger Caranci and Rob Alder, who argued decisions about when and how to develop were best left to the developer.

"The role of (council) is to create an environment that encourages development. It's not appropriate to force someone's hand," Alder said.

But Coun. David Winninger said, "If development in the city is driven by private developers, we might as well close our offices and go home."

Ridout Downtown Corp. will attempt to extend the zoning for as long as it takes to develop the property, Spriet said after the meeting.

The site used to include the Ridout Tavern -- a former 19th-century industrial building.

ldoto
Oct 18, 2005, 8:20 PM
Good News "Fore" London

It appears London has landed yet another major sporting event, and the economic spinoffs that go with it.

Hot on the heels of the Memorial Cup and the upcoming Scott Tournament of Hearts, word of a women's golf tour stop in the city.

Next year's Canadian Women's Open will be held at the London Hunt and Country Club.

It's the only LPGA tour stop in Canada.

Back in 1993, when it was called the DuMaurier Classic and was considered a major event on the tour, the open was also held in London.

It's lost some of its prestige over the years, but still draws many of the world's top players.

The official annnouncement from the Royal Canadian Golf Association is expected to come in a news conference in Montreal tomorrow
:D

ldoto
Oct 20, 2005, 1:11 AM
Board set to approve centre aid
After years of weaning itself off tax dollars, the London Convention Centre needs money, an extra $3.5 million over 20 years to maintain the building.

The request goes today to the city's board of control, whose members seemed inclined to support a facility they say has been well-run.

"I think it's a great economic tool for the city and it's been well run for a long time," Controller Gord Hume said yesterday.

The city can't let its convention centre become rundown, Controller Russ Monteith said.

"If you're going to attract conventions, you have to maintain the building," he said.

"I think you'll find a consensus on council this is a worthwhile investment," he said.

More money will be needed to maintain the centre as it ages, general manager Britta Winther said. A consultant has recommended upping spending for the building from $300,000 to $500,000.

The increase would be phased in: $350,000 next year; $400,000 in 2007; $450,000 in 2008 and $500,000 from 2009 to 2024.

That money would be in addition to funds for operations that were $366,000 this year and $390,000 requested next year.

The money is well spent because the London centre uses less public money than most other convention centres, Winther said

ldoto
Oct 21, 2005, 2:09 AM
Construction pace stays hot

Thu, October 20, 2005

Construction in London continues to set a torrid pace, fuelling concern that when the ride ends it will feel more like a crash than a slowdown.

Last month, 485 permits were issued for all types of building in the city, worth $55.6 million. In September 2004, 454 permits saw $38.4 million in building.

The city has been anticipating a slowdown in construction, but that has not happened. Builders and developers may be looking to beat rising interest rates to build now rather than later, said Rocky Cerminara, the city's director of building controls.

"We are seeing a lot of activity coming in now that we were expecting next year. There appears to be real demand to get buildings up now while rates are still low."

But that means next year "the market may drop a lot faster than we were anticipating," he added. "I have a feeling things will come down a lot quicker next year."

A sudden drop may result in job losses and a downturn in the construction sector, harming economic performance.

"We do not want big drops, we want sustainable de-clines," he added.

From January to September of this year, a total of 3,983 permits were issued, worth more than $488 million, compared to 3,850 permits worth $474 million over the same period last year. Cerminara said he already has applications for a further $70 million until year's end.

There is, however, an indication a slowdown is already underway, said Ken Sumnall, senior market analyst for Canada Mortgage Housing Corp.

Single-home permits in London -- the most important indicator of building trends, Sumnall said -- from January to September fell to 1,044, worth $166 million, compared to 1,219 and $171 million over the same period last year.

"If you look at the numbers, the increase is in permits issued for apartments and townhouses," Sumnall said. "It is pulling back from record levels but it is where we felt the market should be."

He also played down fears of a looming crash, saying developers are not rushing to beat rates.

"Rates will rise, but it won't be that significant. The view is that inflation is contained, we may see a half-point rise over the year, but there will not be much movement. I can't see builders building now to beat rates. They have learned their lessons from the 1980s and will not build extra inventory unless a buyer is in place."

The economy is also projected to have solid growth this year, he added.

ldoto
Oct 22, 2005, 6:21 PM
The University of Western Ontario got $13.6 million from the province to fix old buildings and equipment, officials announced yesterday.

The money is part of $250 million to repair and upgrade college and university buildings across the province announced in the Liberal government's budget.

"Our mission as a university is the best student experience in all of Canada," said Western president Paul Davenport.

"One component is up-to-date facilities. . . . We need this kind of investment and we haven't always been able to get it."

The money will go to upgrades and to pay off completed projects, including steam, water and chilled-air distribution.

"This isn't the sexy stuff. It's the chillers, the cookers, the plumbing. But when that works, students work better," said Colleges and Universities Minister Chris Bentley, MPP for London West.

Leading politicians and reporters through the depths of the power plant that heats and cools university buildings, operations manager Rod Crichton pointed to massive machines from the 1960s.

"The older they get, the less efficient and less reliable they become," Crichton said.

Fanshawe College also saw a $7.2-million injection to upgrade heating, air conditioning, ventilation and fire alarms.

MolsonExport
Oct 23, 2005, 3:52 PM
London is turning into a charmless sprawlsville. On the periphery of London (e.g., North and South ends of Wonderland road), there is commercial and residential construction aplenty. Big Box retailers are multiplying on the exurbs. Meanwhile, lots closer to downtown lie vacant (some for more than a decade), and malls wither and die (e.g., The Galleria and Westmount Shopping Centre). Much of downtown consists of parking lots and under-utlized buildings. and Wharncliffe Road is an embarassment (tacky stuck-in-the-fifities-but-aging-very-ungracefully).

the pope
Oct 24, 2005, 3:19 PM
please, have no sympathy for the galleria, the thing deserves to die for how is killed london to begin with.

Blitz
Oct 24, 2005, 7:54 PM
London is turning into a charmless sprawlsville. On the periphery of London (e.g., North and South ends of Wonderland road), there is commercial and residential construction aplenty. Big Box retailers are multiplying on the exurbs. Meanwhile, lots closer to downtown lie vacant (some for more than a decade), and malls wither and die (e.g., The Galleria and Westmount Shopping Centre). Much of downtown consists of parking lots and under-utlized buildings. and Wharncliffe Road is an embarassment (tacky stuck-in-the-fifities-but-aging-very-ungracefully).

Exactly. People from London can be so snobby about how great their city is, but from an urbanist's standpoint it's a nightmare. It just keeps getting worse...look at the Home Depot and all that other crap going up on Wonderland South. I hear so much Windsor bashing from Londoners (most of it based on tired stereotypes) but at least Windsor isn't a sprawlzilla.

ldoto
Oct 26, 2005, 12:02 AM
A group that includes some of London's largest developers won a bid last night to have a temporary parking lot where historic buildings once stood.

In a 12-6 vote, city council approved the application by Ridout Downtown Corp. for a parking lot at King Street across from the John Labatt Centre.

The site used to include the Ridout Tavern and a former 19th-century industrial building.

Parking lot opponents accused council of ignoring its own policy of not allowing parking lots to replace demolished heritage buildings.

"It's a very special policy that's quite explicit about what's allowed," said Coun. Joni Baechler.

"While there are no buildings there now, there's still the element of council supporting the policy . . . or they (parking lots) become permanent by default."

Several councillors, including Baechler, expressed concern council will repeatedly extend the temporary permit as it did after the demolition of the former London Mews (Smugglers' Alley) on Dundas Street.

That building was torn down in 1999 and the parking lot permit has twice been extended.

But planning committee chairperson Coun. Cheryl Miller, a proponent of downtown revitalization, said she's convinced the Ridout group will build "sooner than later."

Her committee co-chairperson, Coun. Roger Caranci, agreed.

"This is probably the most developable piece of property in the city," Caranci said.

"I think we will see something go up relatively soon. It's not to their benefit to leave it empty."

Coun. Susan Eagle argued an alternative.

"Perhaps by refusing to allow a parking lot, we'd speed up the process (to develop the property)," she said.

The Ridout Group includes: Glen Sifton of Sifton Properties Ltd.; Brayl Copp, owner of Copp Building Materials Ltd.; Andy Spriet, head of Spriet Associates; Vito Frijia of Southside Construction; Joe Carapella, president of the Tricar Group; Mitch Baran, owner of Trudell Medical Group; Geno Francolini, businessperson and board chairperson of the Greater London International Airport Authority; and one other unidentified businessperson.

HOW THEY VOTED

- In favour: Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco, Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell, Controllers Russ Monteith, Bud Polhill and Gord Hume, and councillors Ab Chahbar, Rob Alder, Roger Caranci, Cheryl Miller, Sandy White, Paul Van Meerbergen and Fred Tranquilli

- Against: Councillors Harold Usher, Joni Baechler, Susan Eagle, David Winninger, Judy Bryant and Bill Armstrong

- Absent: Bernie MacDonald

ldoto
Oct 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
The fate of one of London's most historic homes won't be decided for another month.

Council voted last night to defer a decision on a developer's proposal to build 59 luxury condominiums on land surrounding Woodholme estate, allowing another public meeting next month.

Sifton Properties has applied to rezone the land, but a local ratepayers' association opposes the plan.

Lawson Estates Ratepayers Association asked council for the deferral because it claims it was not informed about and unprepared for a planning committee meeting last Monday.

The condo project would be built on the northeast corner of Wonderland Road North and Gainsborough Road and secure the future of Woodholme. Sifton has a buyer for the property, but the sale is conditional on the rezoning.

Woodholme, built in 1893, was home to the Lawson family and is one of the few concrete-poured homes in North America and features an unusual design similar to a medieval fortress.

The city has recommended the home be designated a heritage property.

ldoto
Oct 31, 2005, 10:00 PM
This new $4.5 million Aquaplex expansion and other facility upgrades will ensure we are ready to serve Londoners in need for the next 50 years.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3262.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3258.jpg

BrianInOntari-ari-o
Nov 1, 2005, 6:42 PM

Exactly. People from London can be so snobby about how great their city is, but from an urbanist's standpoint it's a nightmare. It just keeps getting worse...look at the Home Depot and all that other crap going up on Wonderland South. I hear so much Windsor bashing from Londoners (most of it based on tired stereotypes) but at least Windsor isn't a sprawlzilla.

I wonder sometimes why some people comment when they do on some things.

Do either you or Molson mean to say that Windsor and Montreal are not themselves sprawling? Seeing that you feel you have any right to comment on London I wonder what basis for comparison you really have. London for example is only completing its second home depot while Windsor already has two. A recent road trip to Windsor also reveals new suburbs sprouting up, begining around Belle River to Windsor and down to Amherstburg. I'm not surprised by all this, and I doubt there is a single example of a reasonably prospoerous city in Canada that isn't in fact sprawling so it begs the question, why single London out unless you feel that London should somehow be the single exception to all the gall and sprawl? More than likely, it seems you think London needs to be taken down a notch. Nonetheless,
I fail to see why Windsor's industrial grot (still very apparent on my recent trip) for which it is famous is any less unsightly than big boxes on Wonderland.

MolsonExport
Nov 1, 2005, 8:09 PM

Do either you or Molson mean to say that Windsor and Montreal are not themselves sprawling? Seeing that you feel you have any right to comment on London I wonder what basis for comparison you really have. London for example is only completing its second home depot while Windsor already has two. A recent road trip to Windsor also reveals new suburbs sprouting up, begining around Belle River to Windsor and down to Amherstburg. I'm not surprised by all this, and I doubt there is a single example of a reasonably prospoerous city in Canada that isn't in fact sprawling so it begs the question, why single London out unless you feel that London should somehow be the single exception to all the gall and sprawl? More than likely, it seems you think London needs to be taken down a notch. Nonetheless,
I fail to see why Windsor's industrial grot (still very apparent on my recent trip) for which it is famous is any less unsightly than big boxes on Wonderland.

Speaking for myself, I feel eminently qualified to comment on such phenomena, having moved from Montreal to London. The points that I mentioned are specific to London, but not uniquely affecting London. I don't like the sprawl in Montreal either, but the downtown is a hell of a lot healthier (and getting more so) than that of London, even after adjusting for the relative difference in size. And I live on Wonderland road, so I will damn well comment all I want to; sorry if it offends you.

Blitz
Nov 1, 2005, 10:29 PM
I commented because I'm sick of the Windsor-bashing that I hear when I tell people in London that I'm from Windsor. I'm not talking about you or the people on this forum, I'm talking about the average Londoner. It's unbelievable how people seem to think their city is so great and all other small Ontario cities are crap. London has some major issues, probably the foremost are sprawl and traffic.

Obviously Windsor and every city has sprawl but the problem is much worse than average in London. Look at air photos or maps of London, it's full of curvy cul-de-sacs. I've lived in London for a year and have explored every part of it so I figured I could comment. Overall, I've enjoyed living here.

itom 987
Nov 2, 2005, 6:27 AM
I love the use of brick on that building!

the pope
Nov 3, 2005, 3:33 AM
do we have a comprehensive total of buildings u/c or planned or approved over 12 stories or taller?

Blitz
Nov 3, 2005, 4:38 AM
Emporis does, not sure how up to date it is though. A new 12 storey building was just completed about 100m from my building but I don't think it's listed.

BrianInOntari-ari-o
Nov 3, 2005, 1:51 PM
[quote=MolsonExport]London is turning into a charmless sprawlsville. On the periphery of London (e.g., North and South ends of Wonderland road), there is commercial and residential construction aplenty. Big Box retailers are multiplying on the exurbs. Meanwhile, lots closer to downtown lie vacant (some for more than a decade), and malls wither and die (e.g., The Galleria and Westmount Shopping Centre). Much of downtown consists of parking lots and under-utlized buildings. and Wharncliffe Road is an embarassment (tacky stuck-in-the-fifities-but-aging-very-ungracefully).

Speaking for myself, I feel eminently qualified to comment on such phenomena, having moved from Montreal to London. The points that I mentioned are specific to London, but not uniquely affecting London. I don't like the sprawl in Montreal either, but the downtown is a hell of a lot healthier (and getting more so) than that of London, even after adjusting for the relative difference in size. And I live on Wonderland road, so I will damn well comment all I want to; sorry if it offends you.

Yes, I recall you saying you live on Wonderland and it's ironic isn't it that you should move there, out there in the sprawl with the mall only to lament the condition of the downtown? Let me ask, does the car make your life possible?

BrianInOntari-ari-o
Nov 3, 2005, 2:01 PM
I commented because I'm sick of the Windsor-bashing that I hear when I tell people in London that I'm from Windsor. I'm not talking about you or the people on this forum, I'm talking about the average Londoner. It's unbelievable how people seem to think their city is so great and all other small Ontario cities are crap. London has some major issues, probably the foremost are sprawl and traffic.

Obviously Windsor and every city has sprawl but the problem is much worse than average in London. Look at air photos or maps of London, it's full of curvy cul-de-sacs. I've lived in London for a year and have explored every part of it so I figured I could comment. Overall, I've enjoyed living here.

Your perspective of london's traffic, is that from behind the wheel of your car?

I don't believe what an averge amount for sprawl is has ever been established but is your concern about land use or cul de sacs? London may well boast more than Windsor but London's growth has generally out-stripped Windsor's in recent decades.

Blitz
Nov 3, 2005, 8:35 PM
Good to see the London/Windsor rivalry is still alive after all these years. :)

You're right, the reason Windsor doesn't have as much sprawl is because it didn't grow at all between about 1975 and 1995. Yes it's more gritty and the downtown is in worse shape, but overall the rest of the city blows London away in terms of urbanity. London is more like Kitchener while Windsor is more like Hamilton in this respect. One problem with the Windsor region is that it hasn't been able to annex its surrounding suburbs like London has. But despite swallowing up vast amounts of farmland surrounding the city, London hasn't shown much will to contain sprawl.

Regarding traffic, yes it's from my car. London is one of the largest cities in North America without an expressway. It badly needs one! Every time one of my friends/relatives has come up here to visit, the first thing they talk about is how bad the traffic is. Just driving across town today took me 30 minutes...way too long for a city this size.

Lucky 24
Nov 3, 2005, 10:26 PM
Are you honestly comparing Windor's urbanity to Hamilton? I don't even think you can the Windsor layout to any city in Ontario.....maybe Oshawa is somewhat similar?

The areas outside of London are quite similar to Kitchener...but the city centre is incomparable and London just blows that city away. Two main problems that add to the traffic problems is that many of the routes that have bus lines are only 2 lanes wide. So during rush hour, the buses just throttle all of the traffic in the city...especially on streets like Adelaide and Oxford. Then the other biggie are the train lines that make London the king of Canada when it comes to traffic due to railroad crossings. There just seems to be no real direction as to how this city is going to solve its traffic problems. Hell, it took them 30 years to implement that bus island at masonville place...it was originally planned in the 70s.

Blitz
Nov 4, 2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah, as far as downtowns go, London wins no contest. But for the rest of the city, Windsor wins no contest (in terms of urbanism anyway). As a city, Windsor is Hamiltonesque while London is more Kitcheneresque - it can't be compared directly to Hamilton because Ham is more than double the size.

I don't know how to solve London's traffic problem - a freeway is needed but you can't just go plowing through neighbourhoods to build one. Perhaps a ring road would help but London is spread out enough where it may take just as long to travel around the ring road to get across town.

the pope
Nov 4, 2005, 7:58 AM
bring back the london trolleys!

MolsonExport
Nov 4, 2005, 2:37 PM
Good to see the London/Windsor rivalry is still alive after all these years. :)

Regarding traffic, yes it's from my car. London is one of the largest cities in North America without an expressway. It badly needs one! Every time one of my friends/relatives has come up here to visit, the first thing they talk about is how bad the traffic is. Just driving across town today took me 30 minutes...way too long for a city this size.

Yeah, tell me about it. When I interviewed with UWO, I was told that London didn't suffer from traffic jams (and to be fair, compared to Montreal, there are few), and that one could "get anywhere in London, from anywhere, in 15 minutes". That last point is BS. It takes me 30 minutes to cross the city, during the daylight hours.

the pope
Nov 4, 2005, 4:47 PM
wouldn't it be nice if london's downtown was completely functioning and you didn't need to cross town except for that one errand once in a while?

Blitz
Nov 4, 2005, 8:08 PM
Another thing that perturbs me is the way Londoners talk about Windsor like it's dangerous and crime infested (all based on tired Detroit stereotypes of course). Yet, there have been 13 murders in London this year compared to 3 in Windsor. London is in the running for murder capital of Canada at this rate.

ldoto
Nov 8, 2005, 7:51 AM
A 21-foot high "H" symbol is being raised to the roof of the new Children's Hospital of Western Ontario at Commissioners and Wellington Roads in London.

Once in place, it will be the most visible hospital sign in the city.

The CEO of London Health Sciences Centre, Tony Dagnone, is taking part in the ceremony.

There will also have an update for us on construction at St. Joseph's Health Care.

ldoto
Nov 8, 2005, 8:01 AM
Quote by Blitz
Another thing that perturbs me is the way Londoners talk about Windsor like it's dangerous and crime infested (all based on tired Detroit stereotypes of course). Yet, there have been 13 murders in London this year compared to 3 in Windsor. London is in the running for murder capital of Canada at this rate.

Murder rate rose slightly in 2004, Statscan says

CTV.ca News Staff

Following a steady overall decline that reached an all-time low in 2003, Canada's murder rate increased by 72 homicides last year, compared to 2003.

The increase brings last year's murder tally to 622, according to numbers supplied by Canada's police services and tallied by Statistics Canada.

The rise amounts to a Canada-wide average of 1.95 murders per 100,000 people, compared to a rate of 1.73 in 2003.

In Toronto, where gun violence has been an almost daily event in recent months, the 2004 murder rate dropped slightly, from 94 homicides in 2003, to 95 in 2004, according to Stats Canada numbers.

Of dubious distinction, Halifax had a notably higher rate than its more populous neighbours, taking the title as murder capital of Eastern Canada with a rate of 2.37 murders per 100,000. Toronto and Montreal followed at 1.8 and 1.37 murders per 100,000.

Cities of similar size in Eastern Canada also had lower rates than Halifax.

* St. Catharines 1.62
* Kitchener 1.26
* London 1.07
* Saint John 0.69

But in the west, most larger cities reported higher rates than Halifax.

* Winnipeg 4.89
* Edmonton 3.39
* Vancouver 2.58
* Calgary 1.91

Provincially, P.E.I, Newfoundland and New Brunswick had the lowest murder rate in 2004, with less than one homicide per 100,000 people. Manitoba had the highest rate at 4.27, followed by Saskatchewan at 3.92 and Alberta at 2.69. Ontario was in the middle of the provincial pack, with 1.51 murders per 100,000 people.:)

ldoto
Nov 8, 2005, 5:38 PM
Airport Road step closer to new name

With a lineup of decorated veterans standing before them last night, city council broke protocol to rush through a resolution to speed up the process to rename a major city road Veterans Memorial Parkway.

After a week of public criticism over how long it has taken to rename Airport Road, council jumped at the first opportunity to set a public meeting that's a prerequisite to changing a road's name.

"I wonder if you might move the motion while the vets are here," Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco said to Coun. Roger Caranci after council began its meeting by honouring the community role played by London area branches of the Royal Canadian Legion.

It was Caranci -- along with councillors Bernie MacDonald, Fred Tranquilli, Cheryl Miller and Controller Bud Polhill -- who a year ago suggested the name change to honour veterans.

The renaming was one of several veterans initiatives by council for 2005, which has been designated the Year of the Veteran.

But when council took until Oct. 24 to vote to begin the process to change the name, some Londoners were critical, fearful the change wouldn't take effect before year's end.

The criticism intensified last week after city staff proposed a quicker way to get a new name that would have the road designated, but not renamed.

So there was a sense of urgency last night as council set a public meeting for Dec. 12, the quickest it could be done while still following regulations on public notice.

"I'm hoping we can have it renamed by the end of the year," Caranci said after the meeting.

"Whatever we do we have to do it in the best interests of veterans. It's a great way to honour them," he said.

It took nearly a year for the proposed name change as a city-appointed task force reviewed ways to honour veterans.

"I would have liked it to come forward sooner, but we had to let the task force perform due diligence," Caranci said

Blitz
Nov 8, 2005, 8:04 PM
Regarding the London homicide rate, I realize the past numbers are average but I'm talking about the numbers in 2005. I've heard London police officers blaming this on guns coming from Toronto but who knows...

Pootkao
Nov 10, 2005, 2:17 AM
ah, London... its been a few years since I lived there, but it still makes me chuckle. Funny town, that one.

Nice to see some projects going up, even if they're pretty banal-looking. Did I read right? Rideout Tavern is now a parking lot? Fitting, in a way.

I miss a mid-afternoon bowl French-Onion soup and Keith's at JD's Diner though. One of my fave London rituals.

ldoto
Nov 11, 2005, 6:37 PM
The London region is getting three new community health centres and one satellite centre, part of a $74.6-million expansion of Ontario's community health network.

The first of the new centres, to be staffed by doctors, nurse practicioners, counsellors and dietitians, will be built in Woodstock next year.

Community health centres are also planned for St. Thomas and Chatham-Kent in 2006-07 and a satellite centre for Wallaceburg in 2007-08.

Ontario has 54 community health centres and 10 satellite operations, including ones in London, Grand Bend, Forest and West Elgin.

Health Minister George Smitherman said the new centres will be tailored to meet community needs.

Labour Minister Steve Peters, the Elgin-Middlesex-London MPP, said he's excited to have a centre coming to St. Thomas after seeing the West Elgin one in action. "They have been able to offer a wide variety of services to the community in a very cost effective way," he said.

Smitherman said the new centres also could help address social problems such as gun violence because of "the comprehensive nature of the work that they do."

Conservative critic Bob Runciman fumed Smitherman made the announcement in suburban Scarborough, part of Toronto, where a byelection is being held to replace former Liberal MPP Alvin Curling.

Runciman said the Liberals used to accuse the previous Tory government of "cheating" with announcements in byelection ridings.

"It seems the McGuinty Liberals have a double standard," Runciman said. "This is just another example of the Liberals not being straightforward with the people of Ontario."

ldoto
Nov 12, 2005, 2:08 PM
Downtown revitalization has 'turned the corner'

Sat, November 12, 2005

Revitalization of London's downtown is no longer a hope, but a reality, says a new city report.

Property values are climbing, new businesses are setting up shop, developers and property owners are building and upgrading and new tax dollars are flowing into city coffers, the report says.

"I think we've turned the corner," said Vic Cote, the city's finance boss who, as former head of planning, is considered one of the architects of the core's rebound.

"We are getting to the point, though, where we're starting to see a return on our investments in the growth in assessment," he said.

But Cote also stressed there's still work to be done.

"We're not prepared to say the job is done until we see Dundas Street taking shape."

Still, the state of the downtown is a far cry from the mid- 1990s, when property values plummeted $60 million in the six-block area surrounding the corner of Richmond and Dundas streets.

Since 2001, downtown property assessment has increased more than $50 million.

Here are the numbers:

- Population: Since 1998, more than 1,100 residential units have been built with an estimated 2,000 people moving to the core.

- New stores: In the past year, 74 new stores opened (including several inside Covent Garden Market) while only a handful closed.

- Construction: Since 1998, the city has issued private sector building permits -- for new construction and renovation -- valued at $120 million.

In the five years before 1998, total private-sector building permits were valued at less than $22 million.

- New construction: The city spent about $51 million building the Covent Garden Market in 1998 and the John Labatt Centre in 2001. Since 2001, the private sector has spent nearly $52 million in new construction, mostly residential highrises.

Janette MacDonald, manager of Mainstreet London, said the JLC and market sparked much of the private-sector interest in the core.

"Almost everyone I've talked to said if the JLC wasn't built, they wouldn't have invested down here," she said .

Likewise, people are heading downtown more often, but not just to attend events.

"When people come to the events, they're looking around and seeing it's a place to eat, to shop . . . it has changed their perception of the downtown," MacDonald said.

Three incentive programs are also helping revitalization:

- Tax rebates for property owners who upgrade their properties. To date, the city has refunded $4.4 million, but collected an extra $13.3 million.

- Interest-free loans up to $50,000 to cover 50 per cent of the cost to upgrade buildings to code. The city has lent $740,000, but owners have spent $3.18 million.

- Waiving development fees for new construction, which has led to the construction of eight new residential highrises.

Retailers and restaurateurs have also responded. New restaurants and nightclubs have opened near the JLC. And the increased pedestrian traffic is drawing retailers.

Jonathan Bancroft-Snell Interiors, a studio specializing in top Canadian ceramic artists and paintings by emerging artists, moved from Galleria London to a Dundas Street storefront near Wellington Road last May.

Sales soared and Bancroft-Snell said he expects to end the year up 50 per cent.

"I really feel the downtown is on the edge of a boom and I wanted to make sure I was there before the rents go up," he said. "There's a vitality downtown now that's just incredible. I've even had people come in telling me the downtown is going to be like it was in the old days."

Bancroft-Snell described the core as a "rising Phoenix."

"And it's the people doing it," he said. "There's a real core of merchants here who really give a damn and it's not just about making money.

"They really believe in the downtown."

MacDonald said, aside from a "few small pockets" on other streets, Dundas Street between Richmond and Clarence streets remains the biggest challenge.

"We need some additional incentives for this block," MacDonald said.

She explained property values haven't recovered from the early 1990s.

"Where we have had success, the people bought their buildings at reasonable prices and they were able to invest in those buildings," she said.

"But some of the people (on this block) bought high and they're not motivated to spend any more money and you really can't blame them."

Cote agrees.

"We need to focus on Dundas and make it so attractive it becomes irresistible for people to set up business and take the risk," he said.

"If we can get Dundas on a stable footing, I think we'll see another phase of private sector investment in the core."

Other issues, MacDonald said, include the need to have more people living in the core and for temporary parking lots to be developed for commercial and residential use.

City planner John Fleming, author of the report, said the city can't rest on its successes.

"It took a long time getting to the state it was in in the mid-1990s and it will take a long time to turn it around.

"We're not to the point where we can become complacent."

WHAT OTHERS SAY

"I feel it in my bones that downtown is the focal (point) of the city again, like it used to be when Eatons and Simpsons were there."

Alan Klein, who, with wife Barb, opened Randall Klein Design showroom in late September at 115 Dundas St. to display the furniture they make.

"I think we're evolving as best we can with buildings that were designed for a different era. I'm optimistic, but it's not going to happen overnight."

Fred Kingsmill, owner of Kingsmill's on Dundas, who has watched the downtown's evolution over more than 50 years.

"I think there are a lot of positive feelings and energy downtown. People are really coming together and Mainstreet London has had a real impact working closely with all the businesses."

Lindsey Elwood, chair of the London Downtown Business Association.

"The beachhead is being built . . . I don't want to jinx it, but I really see some positive stuff happening."

Mike Smith, owner of Chancey Smith's at Covent Garden Market.

;)

MolsonExport
Nov 12, 2005, 5:32 PM
^great, hope it continues.

East London (pretty much everything east of adelaide) needs some help too.

Blitz
Nov 12, 2005, 5:38 PM
The JLC has provided a huge boost, I think all smaller Canadian cities should look at that as a model.

the pope
Nov 15, 2005, 1:09 AM
now lets take care of the surface lots in the surrounding jlc environs

ldoto
Nov 15, 2005, 2:17 AM
Less than 10 per cent of an $8.7-million surplus is earmarked to lower taxes.

By PATRICK MALONEY, FREE PRESS REPORTER

About $600,000 of an estimated $8.7-million budget surplus expected at city hall should go toward cutting property taxes, senior administrators recommend.

Several other projects that would "improve the financial health" of London should get the lion's share of the surplus, staff said in a report that will be presented at Wednesday's board of control meeting.

But the recommendation to set aside less than 10 per cent of the projected surplus to lower the 2006 tax increase irks at least one city councillor.

"Here we have an opportunity to give Londoners some relief after years of (property tax) increases," Paul Van Meerbergen said. "That's what we should do.

"The bottom line: It belongs to the people of London. Give it back to them."

The city's draft budget proposes a five-per-cent hike in property taxes next year.

But in past years that featured budget surpluses, council has also resisted the urge to slash taxes. Last year, a $12.9-million overflow wasn't found until after budget deliberations and most of the money went toward paying down debt.

This latest recommendation was defended by senior administrators during the weekend who call it the city's most responsible option.

"It's our job to spend the money wisely," said city manager Jeff Fielding.

The expected $8.7 million is earmarked for several projects in the staff recommendation to council, including:

- $2 million to cover potential future costs referred to as London's "unfunded liability."

- $2 million toward the financing of a $7.6-million expansion of police headquarters.

- $2 million toward paying down the city's debt.

- $1.5 million to cover for taxes that were expected but can't be collected.

Some Londoners, however, are adamant they deserve a bigger share of the surplus than $600,000.

"Budget surpluses of $12 million for 2005 and the same for 2004 simply means taxpayers have been overcharged for both years," J.W. Wood wrote in an e-mail in response to a Free Press interactive asking what should be done with the surplus. "It is our money and should be returned."

To Van Meerbergen, that's become a common refrain from taxpayers.

"I've heard loud and clear from my constituents that they are carrying a very heavy tax burden and they are looking for relief," he said. "They can't continue to carry this load."

In an effort to draw citizens into the budget process, more than 40 city councillors and staffers attended a budget open house at the London Convention Centre Saturday morning. The event's goal was to explain and discuss city spending with Londoners, said Deputy Mayor Tom Gosnell.

In the end, however, only a half dozen people showed up.

"I think after this I'll feel frustrated if (Londoners) start complaining because they've been given this opportunity," Coun. Harold Usher said during the event.

Blitz
Nov 15, 2005, 11:59 PM
Uh, does ldoto work for the London Free Press? If so, tell them to stop calling me!

the pope
Nov 16, 2005, 4:02 AM
i'm going to be in london this weekend, and i'll be over at colborne place (with king of colborne), i'll go urinate on the building for you

Lucky 24
Nov 16, 2005, 4:24 AM
I haven't gotten a LFP call in a while....look at me get a call today.

Blitz
Nov 16, 2005, 10:55 PM
^ Yeah, they're rather high on my list of annoyances right now. Another being that full of shit 'homeless' guy who hangs out in the middle of the intersection at Wonderland and Oxford bothering people waiting in their cars at the light. Also, the uggs boots seem to be out in full force at UWO these days - although I'll admit some girls do look pretty good in them.

ldoto
Nov 17, 2005, 3:09 AM
The election of Andre Boisclair as the new leader of the Parti Quebecois has taken referendum talk off of the back burner.
Boisclair says he will push for an independence vote as early as 2007 if he becomes Premier.

As a result, many people, including the chair of London's Shriners Hospital Bid, figures that London may be back in the race.

Tony Dagnone says Boisclair's statements will unsettle Shriners across the continent. He says, "The Shriners are very wise. They will not make a term 100 million dollar investment in a province that may turn out to be another country."

Nonetheless, there is still some hesitation because another bid would mean not only having to convince the public that a third attempt will be successful but also it would require more money.

Yet, Dagnone says he and others think they can rally the troops again, although it can't happen unless there is a formal request from the Shriners themselves.

Blitz
Nov 17, 2005, 3:44 AM
ldoto, you're a very mysterious forumer.

the pope
Nov 17, 2005, 4:45 AM
and this unmysterious forumer will be boozing in london this saturday.....

if i had to guess it would start at the brass door

Lucky 24
Nov 17, 2005, 5:25 AM
Start rolling the blunts..the pontiff is coming to town.

the pope
Nov 17, 2005, 7:16 AM
i want a seven blunt salute

Blitz
Nov 17, 2005, 5:24 PM
i'm going to be in london this weekend, and i'll be over at colborne place (with king of colborne), i'll go urinate on the building for you

His banishment from SSP was quite unjustified.

Are your clubbing activities going to be chronicled by the LFP again?

the pope
Nov 17, 2005, 5:49 PM
one can only hope!

http://urbanohio.com/thepope/london/londonfreepress.jpg

thats me with king of colburne

(dear god this is turning into MCT of ontario)

Lucky 24
Nov 18, 2005, 3:24 AM
I always thought that Ben looks really wierd in that pic.

ldoto
Nov 24, 2005, 1:13 AM
This is great news for the downtown core it is booming down here. I also heard that there will be a big project announce in the next couple weeks.

Park Lane Hotel to be reborn as condo project

Wed, November 23, 2005

By HANK DANISZEWSKI, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

Jeffrey Roher, left, and Joel Kwinter of the Rose Corp. are converting the Park Lane Hotel on King Street into condominiums. (DEREK RUTTAN, The London Free Press)
Two Toronto developers think it's time for a downtown London building with a checkered past to be reborn as a hip, downtown condo project.

Joel Kwinter and Jeffrey Roher are spearheading a plan to create time Condominiums with a $12 million to $15 million renovation of the former Park Lane Hotel at 186 King St.

The developers say downtown London is on an upswing and ready for the kind of urban condo conversion that has swept larger centres such as Toronto.

"London's time has come . . . We want London youth to stay in London by offering them a hip place to hang their hat and call home," Kwinter said.

The units will vary in size from 330 square feet to 800 square feet and range in price from $69,990 for a studio to $159,000 for a two-bedroom or large one- bedroom.

Kwinter and Roher are partners with the Rose Corp., a Toronto-based real estate investment company that bought the building last year.

Kwinter said the building will have a "South Beach -- New York City" feel, both inside and out and will be aimed at the 18- to 35-year-old market.

The sales office and a model suite should be open in a few months, but the renovations will not start until a minimum number of units are pre-sold, he said.

If the sales campaign is successful, the new condo owners should be able to move in by the end of 2007.

Kwinter said the main floor will stay commercial and the developers will be looking for a high-end lounge/restaurant to locate there.

Other amenities will include exercise facilities, a private lounge, a study and two screening rooms with large-screen televisions.

The developers are planning a major marketing campaign and have a website -- www.timecondos.com -- where potential buyers can register.

If the project is a success, it will be a turnaroud for a building that has suffered a lot of bad luck since construction began in 1961. The building has changed hands several times due to lawsuits and financial failures and was empty for a couple of years in the 1990's.

"I know there's a bit of history involved in this building but we think it's time for a big change. This building has great bones and a great location and that's what were working with," said Kwinter.

Last night Kwinter and Roher received a Downtown Champion award at the Mainstreet London annual general meeting in recognition of the initiative.

Mainstreet manager Janette MacDonald said the time Condo project is exactly what downtown needs. She said the affordable prices makes the condos attractive to young professionals.

"If we can these young people into the real estate market in London, it will be a tougher for them to leave," she said.

HISTORY OF 186 KING

1961: Construction begins, but financial problems delay the opening for three years.

1964: The 10-storey building opens as the Jack Tar Motor Hotel.

1966: The building is sold and renamed the Kingsley Building, the result of a lawsuit.

1973: It is converted into the Park Lane Motel.

1988: The Park Lane is converted into a Ramada Inn.

1992: The Ramada Inn closes after prolonged financial troubles and the building sits vacant for two years.

1994: A plan to turn the building into a private student residence called King's Inn falls apart, leaving 130 people locked out.

1995: London realtor Paul Mitchell steps in, revives the project and opens the student residence.

2002: The building is sold to Dutch entrepreneur Willem Fijneer, who reopens it as the Park Lane Hotel.

2004: The building is sold to Toronto-based real estate developer the Rose Corp., which plans to turn it into condos.

ldoto
Nov 25, 2005, 2:22 AM
New airline, service for city vacationers

Thu, November 24, 2005

By NORMAN DE BONO, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

London International Airport has added a new airline and expanded its service.

Sunwing, the warm-weather tour operator, has established its own airline, which next month will begin offering three flights a week out of London to Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

"This is a significant change for London," said Steve Baker, president and chief executive of London airport.

"Historically, charter operators have leased aircraft from airlines, but this means Sunwing can control the product they are offering, from hotel reservations to air transportation. It will mean greater customer service."

The news comes at the time the airport has seen a 20-per- cent rise in traffic this year over last, with more than 400,000 travellers now using the airport, said Baker.

And Sunwing's new service may push that total upward, he said.

"What travellers will see is an entire travel itinerary organized by the operator, from hotels to transfers and the return home. It will make for a better experience overall," said Baker.

In an era of reduced services and no-frill airlines, Sunwing is returning to full service offering a "champagne" package including hot meals, free wine, in-flight entertainment, leather seats and even hot towels, said Mark Williams, president of Sunwing Airlines.

"This is just the evolution of our company. We have had significant growth and we're at the point where it supports having our own aircraft."

The service will begin Dec. 18 and last until March 26. It will operate two aircraft flying out of Toronto, London, Ottawa, Sudbury and Thunder Bay. Sunwing will fly Boeing 737-800s, which seat 189.

This is Sunwing's third year of service out of London, but last year it offered flights with the now-defunct Jetsgo. In past years, it has operated in the "90-per-cent occupancy range" out of London, added Baker.

Sunwing has been listed by Profit Magazine for the past two years as one of the fastest -growing companies in Canada.

ldoto
Dec 2, 2005, 5:17 PM
Eight courtrooms and more private areas are to be added with $17.5M in provincial funds.

Eight courtrooms will be added to the London courthouse as part of a $17.5-million upgrade announced yesterday.

Liberal MPPs Deb Matthews (London-North-Centre), Chris Bentley (London West) and Khalil Ramal (London-Fanshawe) announced the funding at the courthouse.

"It's no secret that this court house is in need of upgrades and has needed upgrades for some time," Matthews said of the 31-year-old building at 80 Dundas St. "If we can make changes to the facility, that'll mean faster access to justice -- that is a good thing."

The funding will be spread over four years. It will be used to add eight courtrooms, expand basement holding cells for prisoners and add more private areas and conference rooms.

Susan Fullerton, vice-president of the Middlesex Law Association, said the courthouse is inadequate.

"A big issue is the use of the space. We don't have enough. In the family law (area) on the second floor, there are a lot of small court rooms, but very few private areas," she said.

"If you've got a couple in the middle of a divorce, you want, as a lawyer, to be able to keep them away from one another."

Bentley, who practised criminal law for more than 20 years before becoming an MPP, said the changes will make delivery of justice more efficient. There will be more places for families to meet to discuss issues, he said, which could lead to agreements without having to go before a judge.

The funds are part of the government's ReNew Ontario plan to invest $30 billion in Ontario's infrastructure.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3194.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/2005/IMGP3195.jpg

ldoto
Dec 8, 2005, 5:46 PM
Vat's dat, Labatt?

Thu, December 8, 2005

Giant beer tanks are set to slowly snake through London tomorrow.

By NORMAN DE BONO, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

Two truck convoys will descend on London tomorrow, knocking out power and cable lines as they slowly snake toward the city core.

If that sounds like something out of a military exercise, you're not far off.

Labatt Breweries is shipping eight giant beer vats to its London plant in two truck convoys, each carrying four vats -- one from Toronto, the other from Sarnia -- in a $3.6-million operation.

The vats, actually called uni-tanks and used to age and ferment beer, are so large that each convoy is employing electrical and cable crews -- and is being escorted by nine OPP cruisers -- because power lines have to be taken down in their snail's-pace path.

"I wouldn't call it a logistical nightmare, but it has been a challenge," said Dave Ford, project leader at the London Labatt plant.

"The biggest problem we have had is that we have two different trucking companies handling the load and they need to co-ordinate arriving in London at the same time."

Anderson Haulage is carrying the Sarnia load, while Sand Rock is hauling tanks from Toronto.

The weather has also been tricky. The convoy was to arrive in London today at noon, but snow squalls delayed the move and the Toronto convoy had to stop overnight just south of Listowel while the Sarnia trucks stopped for the evening at Wyoming on Highway 21.

The trucks are expected to meet at Highbury Avenue and Fanshawe Park Road tomorrow at 10 a.m., where they will join in a 700-metre-long convoy that is expected to take four hours to travel to the Horton Street plant.

"It is easiest for all the utilities if they join up and come in together. That way, we just have to shut things off once," said Bob Chant, Labatt spokesperson.

The uni-tanks are part of a $40-million expansion of the Labatt plant that will see it increase yearly brewing production to 4.1 million hectalitres from 2.7 million -- about 50 million cases of beer. The expansion will also see the plant adding a keg line.

Two convoys are needed because the London plant is bringing in four new uni-tanks from Germany, shipped from Rotterdam and unloaded in Sarnia, and four used ones from Labatt's recently closed Toronto brewery.

"Hydro and cable officials are travelling with the convoys. The overall objective here is to minimize disruption for citizens," said Chant, adding the power outages should last about an hour and a half.

The new German-made tanks spent three weeks on the water before landing in Sarnia.

They were loaded onto trucks and began their road journey yesterday, travelling about 20 kilometres an hour.

THE UNI-TANKS

- Eighteen metres high

- Six metres wide

- Each can hold 4,000 hectalitres, or about one million bottles of beer

- Used for aging and fermenting beer

THE COST

- $1.6 million to manufacture the four new tanks.

- $1 million to ship them from Germany.

- $1 million to truck all eight tanks to London.

EIGHT HUGE BEER TANKS LONDON BOUND

- Labatt Breweries is moving eight 18-metre tall fermentation vats to their London brewery from Sarnia and Toronto.

THE TANKS

- The tanks, are part of the $40-million London brewery expansion project. Each tank can hold the equivalent of about a million bottles of beer.

TRAVELLING THROUGH LONDON:

- The tanks are expected to meet at Highbury Avenue and Fanshawe Park Road in London tomorrow. From there, they will begin a four-hour trek to the London brewery, travelling at 20 km/h. The tanks will be escorted by police cars and Hydro trucks.

ldoto
Dec 10, 2005, 1:45 PM
http://www.tricar.com/condominiums/richmondhill/index.htm Welcome to... Richmond Hill

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/welling_building.jpg

1985 Richmond St. North of Masonville Rd.
Prime View Overlooking London
Prices from $300,000K to $650,000K

ldoto
Dec 14, 2005, 10:20 PM
A Toronto-based day-care chain serving corporate clients is expanding to London.

Kids & Co. is setting up a new centre at Mount St. Joseph, the former convent and private girls' school on Richmond Street North recently sold by the Sisters of St. Joseph.

Renovations have begun for the 9,000-square-foot child-care centre in the north wing of the building. Another part of the building is being redone to create 100 upscale retirement suites.

The child-care centre is scheduled to open in June and will employ about 25 early childhood education teachers. The centre will provide a secure webcam site to allow parents to check on their children through the day.

Kids & Co. chief executive Victoria Sopik said the company scouted locations in downtown London, but couldn't find one with suitable outdoor play space.

Kids & Co. cares for about 1,000 children at seven sites in Toronto, including large office towers such as the TD Centre and Commerce Court. It also has operations in Calgary, Ottawa and Waterloo.

Sopik knows a lot about child care from personal experience.

She and her husband, Jeffrey, are raising eight kids, ages eight to 19. One of her sons attends the University of Western Ontario.

"I've always been a working mom, so I've always known what parents wanted to have," said Sopik, who studied business administration at Western.

Sopik said Kids & Co. works on contract with about 200 corporations, supplying a specified number of spots for children of employees.

The parents usually pay for the child care, but the contracts often provide for emergency backup care for employees who unexpectedly find themselves without child care.

"If you're a busy working parent, your child care can fall through because of something as simple as a snow day at school," said Sopik.

She said companies have found that the emergency care can keep parents on the job and help them balance their work and family life.

Sopik said national corporations with employees in London will use the service, but her

Blitz
Dec 14, 2005, 11:21 PM
Just heard on the news that London will be home to Canada's first Wal-Mart SuperCentre. Surprise, surprise.

ldoto
Dec 15, 2005, 2:38 AM
First Pro Shopping Centres says the Wal-Mat in London's north end will be expanding by a third.
The retailer says it is responding to consumer demand for a mix of groceries and general merchandise at a location that has been profitable ever since it was built 11 years ago.

The Wal-Mart Supercentres that have been created in the States have had a devastating impact on some supermarkets and some Londoners are concerned that the same thing will happen here.

The 13 million dollar expansion which will be completed by the end of next year will mean an addition of 60 employees to the 200 currently working in the store.

:crazy: