PDA

View Full Version : London Construction - Development News Thread#1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Snark
Apr 2, 2009, 1:32 AM
An ironic and sad omen: as the debate at City Hall on provincial stimulus money opens, a watermain breaks mere blocks away. That a pipe dating “back to the 1920s” would break is no revelation; the shock is that such pipes are still in use. City Council, despite its conceit that it is a “leader in downtown revitalization” has done nothing to address the infrastructure crisis in central London, highlighted by 2007’s infamous Sinkhole. The core, home to thousands of workers and businesses, is the heart of London’s economy, but few of the stimulus projects under consideration would benefit it. While many cities are renewing brownfields and building rapid transit, our Controllers propose to heavily subsidize far-flung industrial schemes served by new highways. Chasing growth rather than supporting existing business and workers is ever the modus operandi. The business community has lost confidence that the City can even provide the basic services and transports that keep the economy ticking, yet Council boldly proposes that it knows how to inject “economic stimulus” .
It talks of a transformation to a “new economy” but seems ignorant that downtowns are necessarily the economic hubs of green, high-tech cities.
Fortunately, the stimulus money offers the City a unique opportunity to reinvigorate its heart now, in time for the new economy - by renewing and greening the utilities and transit that London already so desperately needs.

So, how would you allocate this funding? Provide an alternative plan, and how you would do it. Easy to sit in the peanut gallery, harder to stand and deliver.

MolsonExport
Apr 2, 2009, 3:23 AM
hark!

QuantumLeap
Apr 3, 2009, 2:04 AM
I am more than happy to Snark. Keep in mind, that at this point, the decision has largely been made, but there may be opportunities to tweak it, and I wouldn't discount the possibility of future rounds of stimulus-mania in the next year, or for next year's budget.

-more money to get moving on BRT - some of this goes to busses, which are not made in London, but are made in the province
-money for infrastructure renewal, especially in the downtown:
money to expand capacity at Greenway PCP
replace aging sewers and pipes
expand district energy facility
-renovate downtown space for new facilities that London and universities are creating:
eg Fanshawe Hospitality and Arts program
AIDS incubator
water research facility
manufacturing commercialization centre etc

FazDeH
Apr 7, 2009, 12:43 AM
I noticed a little convo about buses and UWO students alittle while back.. yes the bubble kids can be annoying sometimes... I go to western (I know what they're like) but I've always lived in London.
I would like to point out to the forum that these kids pump MILLIONS of dollars into London every year, and as a matter of fact as I see it.. Downtown would be in ruins if it weren't for them. Shops, restaraunts, bars... could not be sustained by the London population. In fact the student influx keeps alot of places in business...
London should do a better job cattering to this group... biased? perhaps.. but realistically.. few students stay after they finish their undergrad.. we need to fix that.

manny_santos
Apr 7, 2009, 3:28 AM
I would like to point out to the forum that these kids pump MILLIONS of dollars into London every year, and as a matter of fact as I see it.. Downtown would be in ruins if it weren't for them. Shops, restaraunts, bars... could not be sustained by the London population. In fact the student influx keeps alot of places in business...
London should do a better job cattering to this group... biased? perhaps.. but realistically.. few students stay after they finish their undergrad.. we need to fix that.

Although it's true, it's also pretty sad that our economy depends so much on students spending money at bars on Richmond Row. And that's coming from a Western student who was at Mongolian's martini bar tonight.

We should not specifically cater to this group, instead we find a reason for them to stay in London after graduating.

FazDeH
Apr 7, 2009, 6:39 AM
I intended to suggest that the student populations impact was further reaching then richmond, meerly an example.. yes I feel that the focus should be more on how to keep leaving graduates, that being said a great deal of how the students view the city is by their interactions while in school and I think that we need to make sure that the experience given is a more positive one. I know most people I talk to about living here are glad to get away over the summer, parts of that are excessability, others jobs, others entertainment... you can only go to the Taphouse or Greentea sushi so many times. This city needs to find a way to keep the interest of young professionals aswell as give them jobs, however I suppose one would come with the other ultimately.

manny_santos
Apr 7, 2009, 9:29 PM
This city needs to find a way to keep the interest of young professionals aswell as give them jobs, however I suppose one would come with the other ultimately.

Is Club Mansion still around? I think their target market was the Starbucks-sipping young professional elite crowd.

London's competitive advantage is that the cost of living is much less than Toronto, and if you can get a good job in London, you're well off. We have the young professionals graduating from Western, we just need to give them jobs. Where are graduates from Business and Management going? They are looking for the big jobs, but London doesn't have many because head offices such as Canada Trust and London Life aren't there anymore. Big companies need to understand there is a competitive advantage to locating major offices in London, even corporate head offices - the employees will be happier.

Snark
Apr 8, 2009, 12:05 AM
I am more than happy to Snark. Keep in mind, that at this point, the decision has largely been made, but there may be opportunities to tweak it, and I wouldn't discount the possibility of future rounds of stimulus-mania in the next year, or for next year's budget.

-more money to get moving on BRT - some of this goes to busses, which are not made in London, but are made in the province
-money for infrastructure renewal, especially in the downtown:
money to expand capacity at Greenway PCP
replace aging sewers and pipes
expand district energy facility
-renovate downtown space for new facilities that London and universities are creating:
eg Fanshawe Hospitality and Arts program
AIDS incubator
water research facility
manufacturing commercialization centre etc

None of those are bad ideas, however there are several grant stipulations that limit a great deal what can be done:
1) The work must be substantially complete by March of 2011. Because of the Canadian construction seasons, this really means November of 2010 in practical terms.
2) The grant funding must pay for new work that was not planned to be executed in the next few years - it has to be new work.
3) For "civil infrastructure" the municipality must in most cases come up with one third of the total cost of each approved project. Recreational infrastructure proposals can be fully funded by grant money, but comes from a different fund. One funding stream can't pay for the other.
4) In the end, the federal government will decide which proposals are "worthy" of grant funding. If they choose, they can approve none of the City's proposals.

So, each municipality must pay for one-third the cost for work that must be in addition to the scheduled work program, and it must be substantially complete in 20 months. So to look at some of your ideas in this context:

1) more money to get moving on BRT - some of this goes to busses, which are not made in London, but are made in the province

It would be possible to buy busses in this time frame for sure. Instituting a built and functional BRT system would be much more difficult. The environmental assessment would alone likely require 9-12 months at a minimum.

2)money for infrastructure renewal, especially in the downtown:
-money to expand capacity at Greenway PCP
-replace aging sewers and pipes
-expand district energy facility

The city is proposing $18M for sewer and wastewater replacement/upgrades, $34M in road widenings, $16M for new bridges, $16M in road repairs, and $8M in bridge repairs. That's $92M for new civil infrastructure projects. Remember that's $92M OVER and ABOVE the existing planned infrastructure programs. This represents likely more work than can be realistically accomplished in the limited time frame in fact. As for funding, the city has to come up with $30M of that funding - and finding that kind of extra money is no easy task. Should a disproportionate amount of that work go to the downtown? That's a philosophical question. You can find people on both sides of the fence on that question.

3)renovate downtown space for new facilities that London and universities are creating:
-Fanshawe Hospitality and Arts program
-AIDS incubator
-water research facility
-manufacturing commercialization centre, etcc

Those are all projects that the University/College would propose to do with their grant funding grant funding requests (which they will be making). The city might possibly be a contributor, but would not be the lead agency in any such initiatives. Post-secondary institutions are creatures of the Provincial Government. Municipalities do not fund them nominally.

Lastly, there was a comment concerning the age of a watermain that recently broke on York Street, and that it's 80 year old age was scandalous. Believe it or not, almost every large city in Canada has water and sewer mains that old and even older. It is quite common in fact. Every major city in Canada has watermain breaks that number in the dozens every year. It's a common fact of of the business. Keep in mind that sewer and water capital expenses must be borne by their respective utility rates, so doing a whole lot of work to those infrastructure means raising the water and sewer rates on the City's ratepayers. The City is already implementing a plan to signifigantly raise the rates to cover increasing demand on repair/replacement. To suggest more would be a non-starter.

FazDeH
Apr 8, 2009, 5:48 PM
Mansion is still around and hopping... if you have the big dollars to go there.
I agree that the city needs to have a proactive approach to getting and keeping corperations here in the city that would offer new grads an income worthy of their degree... Sure the cost of living is cheaper here, but we can't compete with the Toronto job market.

ldoto
Apr 14, 2009, 9:21 PM
Update!!!!

City sues makers of Springbank Dam

Tue, April 14, 2009

The city of London is suing the engineers, designers, manufacturers and builders of the inoperable Springbank Dam for $5.2 million.

The city has paid $6.8 million "and has not received an operable dam that can be used for any purpose at the present time," says a statement of claim filed by the city April 9 in Ontario Court of Justice.

"The City is entitled to a rehabilitated dam that is operable, durable and reasonably capable of performing . . . and which does not suffer from defects likely to cause failure in the future."

Allegations in the statement of claim have not yet been proven in court.

The city also wants the parties involved to pay for removing and replacing the broken hinges on one gate and modify all gates so they work.

Damaged by a flood in 2000, the gates of the dam were rebuilt and set to close in June 2008.

But during tests, bolts on one gate broke and the gate jammed halfway shut.

The city hired a consultant to examine what went wrong, but the report has been kept under wraps since completion in October.

QuantumLeap
Apr 15, 2009, 6:18 PM
Does anyone have any news about any developments in London?
What's the status of...
Galleria?
Tricar Hyde Park?
Medallion Old East?
Terrasan Old East?
Renaissance?
retirement homes on Wharncliffe South?
retirement homes on Fanshawe Park W?
etc.

VectorBoy
Apr 15, 2009, 7:19 PM
:previous: I have some info... :previous:

Galleria Mall is having their "Grand-Opening" on Thursday, May 7th at 10am at the new entrance. They will officially be announcing the renaming to Citi Plaza, and there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony and all that typical jazz.
Fox & Fiddle (it took over Elephant & Castle's space) is almost completed, and will likely open on the 9th, although knowing that mall, it'll be a week or two afterwards.

The new WESTMOUNT VIP theaters are set to open for the May 1st weekend, I'm hearing rumblings that they'll open the doors for preview/free movie day on April 27th or 28th, but don't hold me to it.

The theater is already on cineplex.com's database and although no tickets can be purchased yet, they'll be coming up for sale in the next two weeks.

There are 3 VIP theaters which have 100-199 seats, they're all reserved seating and 19+ (meaning no kids allowed!). Also, there's a licensed lounge, private box office, and private concession for the VIP theaters.

Only requirement of VIP is to pay the increased ticket price ($5 more than regular admission), and to be over 19.

All the seats are reclining and oversized, with in-seat menu service.

The theater itself is almost done construction, they've finally begun to paint the exterior, and the interior is undergoing finishing touches.

Finally, all the screens are Digital projection and digital audio, making it one of the most state-of-the-art cinemas in Ontario.

That's all I've got for now.

:banana:

ldoto
Apr 16, 2009, 2:27 AM
:previous: That is good info thanks!!!I might go to that

ldoto
Apr 16, 2009, 2:41 AM
Originally Posted by QuantumLeap
Does anyone have any news about any developments in London?
What's the status of...
Galleria?
Tricar Hyde Park?
Medallion Old East?
Terrasan Old East?
Renaissance?
retirement homes on Wharncliffe South?
retirement homes on Fanshawe Park W?
etc.

The Corporation of The City of London
April 7, 2008

Development Proposal for Old East Village

A 600-unit residential building is being proposed for the Old East Village, with the potential of adding 1,000 – 2,000 residents to the area. The development proposal, which would be built in a block bound by King, Dundas, Hewitt and Lyle streets, includes a three-storey base, a nine-storey mid-rise component and two towers of 21 and 24 storeys. The proposal also calls for a two-storey building fronting Dundas Street.

“The City has worked diligently on revitalizing this area for many years, so this type of proposal is very exciting,” said Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best. “This is exactly the type of high quality urban design project that Council has been looking at in other cities such as Vancouver and Downtown Toronto.”

The proposal has been submitted by Medallion Developments, a privately-owned, Toronto-based, real estate development and property management company. Medallion Developments is firmly rooted in the tradition of excellence that began over 50 years ago. The company’s projects include residential subdivisions and multi-family apartment communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Medallion's portfolio is comprised of a full spectrum of real estate holdings: from high rise residential buildings to commercial office, retail and industrial properties. Medallion is considered one of the most progressive property owners in the country.

“This project represents a major investment in the Old East Village that will spark further investment in the area and move the revitalization of the Old East Village ahead,” said Sarah Merritt, Manager of the Old East Village Business Improvement Area (BIA).

“By putting ‘feet on the street’, this project will have a major impact on the revitalization of the Old East Village, furthering the renaissance that has been underway for some time,” said Gord Hume, a member of the Board of Directors for the Old East Village BIA and London City Controller.

London City Council and the Old East Village BIA have worked together on the revitalization of the Old East Village. Council has established a Community Improvement Plan for the area, established an incentive program and created one of the largest heritage conservation districts in Canada.

“This is an exciting development for the Old East Village and I am looking forward to seeing more of the details of this project,” said Stephen Orser, Ward 4 Councillor.

Proposals such as this one by Medallion Corporation have the potential to add thousands of residents to the area, which will then create demand for commercial services, allowing the area to revitalize. The zoning amendment application is the first step in the development process.

This zoning by-law amendment application will be reviewed by City of London staff for appropriateness from a land-use planning perspective. The application will then be subject to a public participation meeting expected to be held this summer, and finally Council approval.

QuantumLeap
Apr 16, 2009, 6:56 PM
The Corporation of The City of London
April 7, 2008

Development Proposal for Old East Village

A 600-unit residential building is being proposed for the Old East Village, with the potential of adding 1,000 – 2,000 residents to the area. The development proposal, which would be built in a block bound by King, Dundas, Hewitt and Lyle streets, includes a three-storey base, a nine-storey mid-rise component and two towers of 21 and 24 storeys. The proposal also calls for a two-storey building fronting Dundas Street.

“The City has worked diligently on revitalizing this area for many years, so this type of proposal is very exciting,” said Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best. “This is exactly the type of high quality urban design project that Council has been looking at in other cities such as Vancouver and Downtown Toronto.”

The proposal has been submitted by Medallion Developments, a privately-owned, Toronto-based, real estate development and property management company. Medallion Developments is firmly rooted in the tradition of excellence that began over 50 years ago. The company’s projects include residential subdivisions and multi-family apartment communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Medallion's portfolio is comprised of a full spectrum of real estate holdings: from high rise residential buildings to commercial office, retail and industrial properties. Medallion is considered one of the most progressive property owners in the country.

“This project represents a major investment in the Old East Village that will spark further investment in the area and move the revitalization of the Old East Village ahead,” said Sarah Merritt, Manager of the Old East Village Business Improvement Area (BIA).

“By putting ‘feet on the street’, this project will have a major impact on the revitalization of the Old East Village, furthering the renaissance that has been underway for some time,” said Gord Hume, a member of the Board of Directors for the Old East Village BIA and London City Controller.

London City Council and the Old East Village BIA have worked together on the revitalization of the Old East Village. Council has established a Community Improvement Plan for the area, established an incentive program and created one of the largest heritage conservation districts in Canada.

“This is an exciting development for the Old East Village and I am looking forward to seeing more of the details of this project,” said Stephen Orser, Ward 4 Councillor.

Proposals such as this one by Medallion Corporation have the potential to add thousands of residents to the area, which will then create demand for commercial services, allowing the area to revitalize. The zoning amendment application is the first step in the development process.

This zoning by-law amendment application will be reviewed by City of London staff for appropriateness from a land-use planning perspective. The application will then be subject to a public participation meeting expected to be held this summer, and finally Council approval.

That was a year ago. The City has approved the development. I am wondering if there have been any demolitions, or site grading, or foundation work. Are there any placards up? Etc.

sparky212
Apr 16, 2009, 9:44 PM
That was a year ago. The City has approved the development. I am wondering if there have been any demolitions, or site grading, or foundation work. Are there any placards up? Etc.

The buissness there have not even moved out yet:(

ldoto
Apr 22, 2009, 3:04 AM
Update!!!!

Nelson Place Apartments

Homes Unlimited is again taking a leadership role in housing lower income persons in London. The new apartments at Nelson Place are a mix of one and two bedroom suites and will house singles, couples and small families. The 52 unit building is well located close to core area schools, training centres, support services, and jobs.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ldoto/News%20Paper%20Photos/nelson_place_london_ontario.jpg

One of the unique features of the building is the inclusion of fully accessible one bedroom units for persons with physical disabilities on the main floor. There are extensive waiting lists for all the unit types and unfortunately we will only be making a small dent in the demand.

Here's the link!!!
http://www.homesunlimitedinc.ca/new_housing_projects.htm

QuantumLeap
Apr 22, 2009, 9:42 PM
^^^^ This is a really nice development. My only complaint with it is that it permanently closes off little Webb Street, when we should be increasing the density of the street grid - blocks are too big in most of London. Its too bad the townhouse project at South and Wellington, in the same neighbourhood, hasn't materialized.

ldoto
Apr 22, 2009, 10:54 PM
Update!!!!!Retail booming at Wonderland and Southdale roads

Wed, April 22, 2009

Despite a sluggish economy, five new stores are under construction at Wonderland and Southdale roads in the city's southwest, after Southside Group leased 110,000 square feet of development space there.

The latest additions to the power centre at the southwest corner of the intersection are Bouclair, Dollarama, Winners, Home Sense, and a new Jysk, said George Georgopoulos, realtor with Sutton Select, who is working on the project with Southside owner Vito Frijia.

Buoyed by shoppers in the Westmount area as well as Byron and Lambeth, the new retailers aren't overly concerned about the economic downturn, Georgopoulos added.

"Because of the location, it has been one of the stronger sales areas in the city. If you go out there on a Saturday now, it is tough find parking," he said. "It has really filled a niche."

The Bouclair will move from Wellington and Bradley but the other developments are all new. "The centre is now leased, there is no room left at all," Georgopoulos said.

The name of the power centre is Wellwood Centre. Frijia paid the city $2.1 million in development fees and will also pay about $600,000 in property taxes for the development. The stores are to open in the fall. The development likely spells the end of plans for Wal-Mart to open at the intersection. In 2005, the world's largest retailer wanted to build in the area but Frijia wanted to build the store, which Wal-Mart usually has control over. When Wal-Mart and Frijia couldn't reach a deal, the retailer bought 14.5 hectares (36 acres) at the southeast corner of Exeter and Wonderland roads for $9.6 million.

Wal-Mart now has stores at White Oaks Mall, Argyle Mall and in the Hyde Park area. Provincewide, there has been some good news on the retail front: Ontario's retail sales increased by 3% in January -- the largest monthly gain since June 2002 -- after four straight months of decline.

VectorBoy
Apr 23, 2009, 5:37 PM
:previous: There's also an EBGames going in there, I believe it's going to be beside (or behind) East Side Marios.

Should be open in about 2 or 3 months.

The one in Westmount mall will remain open, as well.

ldoto
Apr 24, 2009, 2:25 AM
Are you sure about that!!!!

ldoto
Apr 24, 2009, 2:56 AM
Update!!!

London's mall wars are officially over.

The company that manages the Westmount Shopping Centre says London is "over-retailed" and the suburban mall is becoming a mixed-use complex, following the lead of Galleria London.

The mall wars broke out in the 1980s and early 90s with the rapid expansion of Westmount, White Oaks and Masonville Place and the creation of Galleria London.

Masonville and White Oaks are thriving, but for the past 10 years, Galleria has been filling up vacant retail space with office and institutional tenants.

Galleria will soon relaunch under a new name, Citi Plaza. Michael Dobrijevic of Bentall LP, managers of Westmount, said the mall is following the "same pattern" as Galleria.

"Obviously London is over-retailed, certainly in the mall sector, with two strong malls, and we don't need a third one in Westmount," he said. The second floor has been emptying out for years. Some merchants have moved to the ground floor.

The Cineplex movie theatre will soon move out to a new building in the rear parking lot, leaving only the food court and a single rug retailer on the second floor. The future of the food court, a fixture of suburban malls, is up in the air. "We're still contemplating where it should go, if it should go, or if we should have one altogether," Dobrijevic said.

He said retail would be concentrated on the first floor of the mall and the company is looking for office/commercial tenants for the second floor, although some retail may remain. Dobrijevic said Westmount offers office-commercial tenants a large underground parking garage and an expanded London Transit Commission bus terminal. The office vacancy numbers also favour Westmount.

A study by CB Richard Ellis predicts the suburban office vacancy rate will be 9.3% in 2009 compared to 14.3% in the city core. The study says suburban office space rents for about $9 a square foot compared to $11 in the core. New buildings have sprung up in the Westmount parking lot, catering to stand-alone tenants who need features such as drive-throughs.

TD Canada Trust, a long-time tenant, has moved into a new building in the parking lot that includes a drive-through. A building on the southeast corner, that formerly housed TD Canada Trust, will soon be demolished to make room for two 5,000 sq. ft. family restaurants. One will be Shoeless Joe's, a sport-themed restaurant, new to the London market. Bentall is still looking for the second restaurant tenant. The original supermarket anchor, now under the A&P nameplate, has signed a long-term lease and will soon renovate and rebrand as a Metro store.

Westmount opened in 1971, anchored by a Dominion supermarket and 15 retail shops. It was expanded in 1973 and 1981 and reconstructed in 1989 with Zellers and Eatons (now Sears) as anchor tenants. Westmount was once owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund but is now owned by a consortium of investors.

MolsonExport
Apr 24, 2009, 1:29 PM
overmalled....but Westmount will still be a mall? Sounds like the managers are lacking a solid strategy. If I were a tenant in the mall, I would be worried.

VectorBoy
Apr 24, 2009, 1:36 PM
Are you sure about that!!!!

Yes, I am sure about that.

VectorBoy
May 1, 2009, 8:04 PM
A generator atop Westmount mall exploded about 15 minutes ago,

The mall has been evacuated and closed for the day.

Fun times in westmount today!

sparky212
May 5, 2009, 12:56 AM
They instaled another city plaza sing over the king,wellington entrance

QuantumLeap
May 5, 2009, 10:20 PM
http://video.lfpress.ca/video/_/_/5828787001/_/22083673001

ldoto
May 6, 2009, 2:09 AM
:previous: This sound good for the future if it happens!!!!!!!

sparky212
May 7, 2009, 10:28 PM
Does any body know what they are building just off Richmond there is a crane up on site and it looks like the dug down 2-3 floors?

JrUrbanDesigner
May 7, 2009, 11:06 PM
Does any body know what they are building just off Richmond there is a crane up on site and it looks like the dug down 2-3 floors?

On Mill St.? if so then I believe there is an image of the building that is to go up somewhere in this forum.. I believe that its drelwo building their standard commie block.. haha.. Hurray! we need more of those

Galleria officially opened as Citi Plaza today, I was at the opening they had a whole lot of give aways and free food, lots of citi and other center employees were in attendance. I was hoping for some kind of announcement of a new big tenenant but no luck :shrug:

And tommorow is the Grand Openning of the new Galaxy Cinema at Westmount mall, it looks pretty cool, from what I saw - especially the VIP section. I will put up some pictures later today or early tommorow on my Blog (http://urbanitydesign.wordpress.com/)

QuantumLeap
May 8, 2009, 1:28 AM
^ Its not Drewlo, its Auburn or some such minor player. But yes, it will be a commie block. The one nice thing in the design is that there will be two and a half storey townhouses on the St. George street side, and the tower will only be 4 storeys on the Mill side. Could be worse, could be a lot better.

sparky212
May 8, 2009, 2:16 AM
I cant find it so whats the hight supposed to be?

ldoto
May 8, 2009, 2:57 AM
Galleria is reborn as Citi Plaza

Thu, May 7, 2009

With a cascade of confetti, Galleria London was reborn as Citi Plaza this morning. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

With hundreds of staff and shoppers gathered in the new atrium entrance on Wellington Street, the complex was officially relaunched after an eight-year makeover.

Lucas Blois of Arcturus Realty, managers of the complex, said the new mix of office, educational, service businesses and traditional retail makes sense for the downtown core.

“It is not about filling space but making use of space in a way that makes sense for our tenants and those who live and work in downtown London,” said Blois.

Blois noted the complex had its roots in Wellington Square, which opened in 1960 as North America’s first enclosed mall.

In 1989, after a $175 million reconstruction and expansion, Galleria London was born as an elite retail mall. But shoppers stayed away in the recession of the early 90’s and Galleria starting losing tenants.

The mall was at its lowest ebb in 2001 when it was purchased by the investment arm of Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension Plan, who held a mortgage on the property.

Eugene Fraser, vice-president of the investment fund, said the new owner made the tough decision to scrap the original concept of Galleria.

“We came to the grim realization that to achieve our goals it was necessary to eliminate over 400,000 sq. ft. of retail space, a task not appealing to any developer,” said Fraser.

Over the years, the vacant retail space has been filled with tenants such as Stevenson Hunt Insurance, satellite campuses of the University of Western Ontario and Fanshawe College and more recently Citi Cards Canada, the major office tenant.

The retail space on the south side has been extensively renovated and the northern retail portion will be completed next year.

Joe Serratore has operated a shoe repair business in the mall for 10 years and has just opened an environmentally friendly dry cleaning outlet nearby.

Serratore said the retail space has undergone a dramatic transformation and he credited Blois for helping remake the image of the mall.

“With the previous managers I was losing faith, but Lucas told me he could turn this around and I believed him,” he said.

ldoto
May 8, 2009, 2:59 AM
:previous: Here is the link to the New Home page of citiplaza have fun!!!!!

http://www.citiplazalondon.com/ :cool:

QuantumLeap
May 8, 2009, 4:33 AM
I cant find it so whats the hight supposed to be?

13 floors, 120 units plus 7 two floor townhouses

QuantumLeap
May 8, 2009, 4:36 AM
:previous: Here is the link to the New Home page of citiplaza have fun!!!!!

http://www.citiplazalondon.com/ :cool:

This is very similar to the old Galleria website. Despite the new name, I am hestitant about the extent of the Galleria's "Rebirth"

MolsonExport
May 8, 2009, 1:11 PM
The "rebirth" of the Galleria is rather like a woman experiencing 72 months of gestation followed by 24 months of labour.

This notion of rebirth is a bit of nonsense, as the Galleria has been moving in this direction for years...at least since I moved to London (June 2005).

ldoto
May 16, 2009, 4:50 PM
Update!!!

Visitors can get a peek at the $3.5-million lakeside makeover, including the boardwalk and splashpad before the June 1 opening.

The scene this week amid work on a $3.5-million upgrade to Grand Bend's Lake Huron beach.

GRAND BEND -- Feverish construction has taken over Southwestern Ontario's hottest beach destination.

Beachgoers this holiday weekend can get an up-close peek at Grand Bend's $3.5-million lakeside makeover -- including the broad boardwalk, splashpad and dune-grass zones -- before it opens June 1.

The turning circle leading to the main beach will be open all this weekend, although the surrounding construction zone is fenced off. So, instead of the bathing-suited sun worshippers, the beach here is teeming with orange-vested construction workers.

Instead of sunbrellas and cute convertibles cruising the strip, there are Bobcats, forklifts, wheelbarrows and an excavator.

"This is going to make a great beach even better," said Lambton Shores CAO John Byrne.

The main impetus behind the renovations is the community's bid to merit a Blue Flag designation, an international award for clean, accessible and eco-friendly beaches.

Even though the community draws as many as 10,000 out-of-towners on a good summer weekend, it also wanted to build attractions that would bring people in during the "shoulder" seasons of spring and fall.

And residents wanted to beautify the area for beautification's sake, not just for the tourists. "This is the community's beach, too," Byrne said.

New features include:

* A boardwalk that stretches from the pier at the south end of the main beach to the condos at the north. Made of salvaged hemlock, it's wide enough for at least three couples to stroll side by side and has posts topped with gentle, LED lighting. The boardwalk replaces the concrete path.

* A splash pad, sheltered by the main beachhouse and ideal for children on days when water quality is poor or waves are high.

* Dune-grass and natural-vegetation buffers between the beach and boardwalk, to help prevent erosion and to keep sand from blowing through town and having to be scooped up and trucked back to the beach.

* Viewing decks and picnic areas, both with shaded areas to protect visitors from sun.

* New lifeguard stands and more visible safety flags.

* More wheelchair-accessible areas and parking spaces.

"It was a very stark and harsh environment before this," Byrne said.

Also new this year is a beach manager and beach guides to help people navigate the facilities.

"We don't open up our arena facilities and say, 'Just come in.' We wanted to have more of a presence here," Byrne said.

The makeover has won considerable local support. The community has nearly met its goal of $1.5 million in local pledges to pay for it. It hopes to draw the remainder from other government sources.

Ryan Roethel of Kitchener, who has been visiting the beach regularly for 15 years, said he likes the new look.

"Some updating, I think, is good to get people to come back."

Grand Bend has for decades been a big draw, with its broad expanse of beach, restaurants, shops and people-watching.

This is traditionally the weekend when cottagers throw open their shutters and head down to the shorelines.

Some hardy souls will no doubt also be playing in the water, which is still too frigid for swimming.

The Bend project has been a long time coming, after having been discussed for decades. Once a concept was designed and approved, construction began quickly. St. Marys contractors McLean Taylor Construction is handling the work and has a June 1 deadline for completion.

The main beach area under construction will be closed this weekend but the north and south beaches are open.

ldoto
May 21, 2009, 3:06 AM
Update!!!

Pics and links of New Police Station

London Police Service Headquarters Expansion and Renovation!!!!

Take a look at these pics and links!!!
http://police.city.london.on.ca/Newsroom/PDFs/LPSFacilityConstructionProgress.pdf

http://www.csparch.com/#section=3&category=10&page=54

http://www.bondfield.com/correctional/londonpolicehq.html

FazDeH
May 21, 2009, 7:41 PM
I don't tend to pay to much attention to the news media in London.. it's annoying.. and I went up to Grandbend for a day at the beach May24 weekend.. yeah I wasn't thrilled finding out wasn't able to access the beach, thankfully you can access private beaches from the marina side. I feel bad for the businesses in Grandbend, because I know for a fact that May24 weekend covers the whole seasons overhead for some of them. This probably hurt them alot. The town should have considered doing this earlier in the year.

london2020
Jun 2, 2009, 9:43 PM
London's ridiculous road system is full of gaps in the grid and "accordion" lane counts. I've long wondered why Adelaide south of Southdale is even called Adelaide if there is no plan to connect it with the northern segment. My hope is one day the two will become connected. Here's my proposal on how it should go:

http://i44.tinypic.com/15rnktg.jpg

manny_santos
Jun 3, 2009, 1:32 AM
I don't think Adelaide will ever get extended. There are about three extension alignment proposals I've seen in old plans, with at least one including an interchange at Commissioners because of the railway crossing.

london2020
Jun 3, 2009, 4:15 AM
I think an elevated railway would make more sense and be the least complex solution to that intersection.

I'm also in favor of a gainsborough/winderemere/kilally link-up. They're putting a foot bridge through the gainsborough/windermere area soon, so that is an interesting step.

MolsonExport
Jun 3, 2009, 1:17 PM
^any idea of when that foot bridge will go up? I live in Hyde Park, and frequent the park area at the eastern end of gainsborough...it would be a nice shortcut to UWO, where I work.

ldoto
Jun 4, 2009, 1:49 AM
Wed, June 3, 2009

Ottawa and Queen's Park will pay most of the cost of the plant

London politicians barely batted an eye this week before backing the building of a $23-million recycling facility to be paid for almost entirely by Ottawa and Queen's Park. :cheers:

A planned presentation by city staff was nixed by politicians, who lavished praise for the proposed plant that would cost half as much as the John Labatt Centre.

The light-speed treatment was warranted, politicians say, because city council had endorsed the proposal whose business case was laid out in in a report by the city environmental director Jay Stanford.

Most agreed the debate would have been more deliberate if city taxpayers, not senior governments, were paying, since council often has more worthy projects than cash to pay for them.

"It would have been a much more vigorous debate if we were all competing for the same (London) tax dollar," Stanford said yesterday.

Of the about $23 million, more than $15.3 million would come from stimulus funds $4.4 million from a Crown agency funded by companies that make plastic products and other items that can be recycled and $3.26 million from money the city gets from the federal gas tax.

That money would have to be spent quickly since the stimulus program requires it -- the plan is to start construction this year and by January 2011 have the plant sorting household recyclables so they can be sold on the market.

The new plant would be owned by the city, but operated by a private contractor.

"If it was $23 million coming out of local taxpayers only, there would have been some debate," Controller Bud Polhill said.

Still, Polhill intends to ask some questions today when the matter goes before the city's board of control.

"It's all tax dollars," he said. "It all comes out of my pocket and yours."

The proposal has drawn nothing but praise from politicians who agree with Stanford's contention the facility, which would also serve the region around the city, would reduce the city's recycling costs, help divert material now going to its landfill and improve the environment, all without burdening property taxes.

Simply put, Stanford's report left nothing of significance unanswered, said Coun. Paul Hubert, who chaired Monday's committee meeting.

"I think this is a huge win for the taxpayers, the city of London and the region," he said.

But the fact the tab is picked up by others makes it easier, he said, pointing, as a contrast, to an expected debate next month over whether and when to begin a green bin program for table scraps.

Staff expect a green bin program will have a much bigger impact on diversion than a new recycling facility -- but green bins will prove more contentious because city taxpayers would be on the hook.

"That's a little bit of a different story," Hubert said.

"We (may be) slowing up (the green bin plan) because of the economy."

ldoto
Jun 4, 2009, 1:53 AM
Board of control recommends Miller Waste Systems to build new facility

Wed, June 3, 2009

London's board of control has recommended hiring Miller Waste Systems to build a $23 million facility that would sort household recycables.

If council approves the hire, construction would begin later this year and the new plant would open January, 2011.

The facility would have the capacity to process 75,000 tonnes of material, more than double what Londoners now put in blue boxes, leaving capacity to serve regional municipalities too.

Nearly all of the money would come from Ottawa and Queen's Park, the lion's share from stimulus money that must be spent within two years.

sparky212
Jun 4, 2009, 2:18 AM
thats great:banana:. Where on dundas is it though?

london2020
Jun 4, 2009, 3:08 AM
^any idea of when that foot bridge will go up? I live in Hyde Park, and frequent the park area at the eastern end of gainsborough...it would be a nice shortcut to UWO, where I work.

"The City of London’s Parks Planning and Design Section are hopeful that construction of the Windermere-Gainsborough Pedestrian Pathway Connection will move forward in 2010, but this will be subject to Council Approval following the public consultation process which will occur between June and early fall of this year."

MolsonExport
Jun 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks.

sparky212
Jun 4, 2009, 7:24 PM
Big news the crane went down today on the Reniassance:cheers:

MolsonExport
Jun 5, 2009, 1:55 AM
too bad that it will probably be years before it goes back up again for phase II

sparky212
Jun 5, 2009, 8:38 PM
you never know:previous: :shrug:

Whisper09
Jun 7, 2009, 9:43 PM
Some construction happening around our city:

Westmount Mall
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/3604359339_e8c143beb6_b.jpg

The New Cineplex at Westmount Mall
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3604360219_346740e6f8_b.jpg

New Buildings off of Wonderland and Southdale
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3604360867_445ce8d2f1_b.jpg

Housing at Southdale (Wharnclifffe at top)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3605177380_71febd820d_b.jpg

ldoto
Jun 8, 2009, 3:23 AM
What are you flying in ?:shrug:

Whisper09
Jun 8, 2009, 3:38 AM
^A hot air balloon

ldoto
Jun 8, 2009, 11:15 PM
I see!!!!:cool:

tolosulode
Jun 10, 2009, 3:57 AM
I think an elevated railway would make more sense and be the least complex solution to that intersection.

I'm also in favor of a gainsborough/winderemere/kilally link-up. They're putting a foot bridge through the gainsborough/windermere area soon, so that is an interesting step.

So now one does not have to wade through the bog when having a heart attack on the wrong side of Winderemere/Gainsborough to get to the hospital. Only in London? Why not? Your tax money on Gainsborough feeds the dogs of those on Windermere.

sparky212
Jun 25, 2009, 12:36 AM
Does anybody know where I can get the renderings for the building u/c of richmond

manny_santos
Jun 25, 2009, 3:05 AM
New Buildings off of Wonderland and Southdale
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/3604360867_445ce8d2f1_b.jpg

Housing at Southdale (Wharnclifffe at top)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3605177380_71febd820d_b.jpg

Look at all that wasted farmland for parking lots and huge residential lots.

london2020
Jun 25, 2009, 4:52 AM
Look at all that wasted farmland for parking lots and huge residential lots.

And how would things work in your fantasy land?

london2020
Jun 25, 2009, 4:52 AM
So now one does not have to wade through the bog when having a heart attack on the wrong side of Winderemere/Gainsborough to get to the hospital. Only in London? Why not? Your tax money on Gainsborough feeds the dogs of those on Windermere.

That's funny. Both our hospitals have major connectivity deficits close to them.

manny_santos
Jun 25, 2009, 8:01 PM

Much higher density housing. Attached housing, with minimal front and back yards. And commercial property within the residential area. There is no reason someone should have to drive to get to a variety store. They should all be within a 3-minute walk in an urban area. Where I live, it's 20 minutes.

We have to start somewhere, because we are eventually going to run out of farmland as the population grows. We also have to do something to stem London's growing traffic problems, which I predict will reach crisis levels in the next decade.

SlickFranky
Jun 26, 2009, 5:09 AM

Yeah, you're right. We should all want to live in that plywood mansion and shop at that warehouse behind the oversized parking lot. Living the dream in SW London, oh yeah!

Blitz
Jun 26, 2009, 6:50 PM
New subdivisions are part of growth but the issue is the way they build them in London. A grid system would make more sense but all the new developments have those obscene curvy roads and cul-de-sacs.

london2020
Jun 27, 2009, 2:17 AM
Much higher density housing. Attached housing, with minimal front and back yards. And commercial property within the residential area. There is no reason someone should have to drive to get to a variety store. They should all be within a 3-minute walk in an urban area. Where I live, it's 20 minutes.

We have to start somewhere, because we are eventually going to run out of farmland as the population grows. We also have to do something to stem London's growing traffic problems, which I predict will reach crisis levels in the next decade.

Sorry, most people don't want attached housing. I agree with minimal front yards -- I like the higher density look. I also agree with grid patterns -- better sense of place. But I do not and never will agree with minimal back yards. Just because you don't have kids or own dogs or want a pool doesn't mean other people don't want space for those things.

We should be building more neighborhoods like old south and stuff like some of Toronto's neighborhoods. But no, everyone does no want to live in a townhouse with no back yard.

I also agree it would be nice to have more variety stores... But not ones run by rip off artists. I'll take a corporate variety like Mac's any day of the week. I think stores like that need to be more common everywhere.

I also am not a huge fan of stuff like the smart centers. I think it would have been better if they built all those stores along Hyde Park facing the road rather than in that giant parking lot monstrosity that exists down the street.

All of that said, I still believe in big arterial roads and expressways. I think cars are great and the system can be improved. London needs to massively increase road capacity and put some kind of expressway around the city and one through it as well.

Big roads are not in conflict with walkable neighborhoods. They both have their place.

london2020
Jun 27, 2009, 2:18 AM
New subdivisions are part of growth but the issue is the way they build them in London. A grid system would make more sense but all the new developments have those obscene curvy roads and cul-de-sacs.

Agreed.

london2020
Jun 27, 2009, 2:24 AM
Yeah, you're right. We should all want to live in that plywood mansion and shop at that warehouse behind the oversized parking lot. Living the dream in SW London, oh yeah!

You sound like someone who might have a hard time affording all that plywood and is perhaps a little jealous. A lot of people still want big homes. The trick is to make them tasteful and fit nicely into an urban environment.

Here's an example of a large home that embodies the qualities of a pleasant urban environment without having to be attached or on a lot with no yard.

http://images.realtor.ca/listing/reb82/medres/7/c15535271.jpg

I would love to see houses like this built in London on a grid pattern.

manny_santos
Jun 27, 2009, 5:38 PM
You sound like someone who might have a hard time affording all that plywood and is perhaps a little jealous. A lot of people still want big homes. The trick is to make them tasteful and fit nicely into an urban environment.

Here's an example of a large home that embodies the qualities of a pleasant urban environment without having to be attached or on a lot with no yard.

http://images.realtor.ca/listing/reb82/medres/7/c15535271.jpg

I would love to see houses like this built in London on a grid pattern.

Taller is better. Three storey homes are not a bad thing. Some of the three-bedroom bungalows with huge backyards are the biggest problem, although those were much more commonly built in the 1950s and 60s. Lot sizes have thankfully gotten smaller since then. I am also a believer in a grid pattern; the way Sifton built Oakridge Acres makes it very difficult to get back to Oxford Street if you're in the middle of the subdivision.

If there are enough independent variety stores, then there will be enough competition to drive down prices. The problem right now is that we have ridiculous zoning where there is nothing but low-density residential taking up large expanses of land, and there can't be more than a couple variety stores, especially in areas like Byron. I've even seen cases where London's Official Plan has been modified to wipe out light commercial areas to add more low-density residential. Used to be that Southdale and Boler was supposed to get a shopping plaza, but someone at City Hall decided the nearest shopping area for that new neighbourhood should be the existing one at Commissioners and Byron Baseline, hardly walking distance. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - but Byron is one of the most poorly planned areas there is in Ontario. But don't take my word for it - just ask geography students at the University of Waterloo, who have studied the poor planning of Byron.

Also I could care less about having a backyard. I probably step into mine once or twice a year. If I actually owned the property I'd be glad to convert that land into a community garden to grow vegetables. It's just wasted farmland that could be used to feed people. I know for a fact that the one subdivision near me has a lot of huge lots and huge homes, and yet the people who own the homes are rarely ever home - and they often are childless couples who don't need four bedrooms.

My point is, there is no reason a city of under 400,000 should take up so much space. We've all got to work together for the future.

That said, as some of you know, I also am a believer in big roads and expressways, in addition to public transit.

worldwide
Jun 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
I also am not a huge fan of stuff like the smart centers. I think it would have been better if they built all those stores along Hyde Park facing the road rather than in that giant parking lot monstrosity that exists down the street.

All of that said, I still believe in big arterial roads and expressways. I think cars are great and the system can be improved. London needs to massively increase road capacity and put some kind of expressway around the city and one through it as well.

Big roads are not in conflict with walkable neighborhoods. They both have their place.

um... ya. good luck with that. cars are out. theyre done. they just wont be economically viable in the years ahead. gas, electric, or otherwise. its just not going to be feasible like it is today. by the time they build the ring road it will be obsolete.

london2020
Jun 29, 2009, 12:01 AM
um... ya. good luck with that. cars are out. theyre done. they just wont be economically viable in the years ahead. gas, electric, or otherwise. its just not going to be feasible like it is today. by the time they build the ring road it will be obsolete.

Hippies like yourself are totally out of touch with reality. You have no clue what you're talking about.

london2020
Jun 29, 2009, 12:13 AM
Taller is better. Three storey homes are not a bad thing. Some of the three-bedroom bungalows with huge backyards are the biggest problem, although those were much more commonly built in the 1950s and 60s. Lot sizes have thankfully gotten smaller since then. I am also a believer in a grid pattern; the way Sifton built Oakridge Acres makes it very difficult to get back to Oxford Street if you're in the middle of the subdivision.

Agreed... for the most part. Families want big back yards, but there is basically no need for big front yards, so I'd be happy to see those shrink to a minimum.

If there are enough independent variety stores, then there will be enough competition to drive down prices. The problem right now is that we have ridiculous zoning where there is nothing but low-density residential taking up large expanses of land, and there can't be more than a couple variety stores, especially in areas like Byron. I've even seen cases where London's Official Plan has been modified to wipe out light commercial areas to add more low-density residential. Used to be that Southdale and Boler was supposed to get a shopping plaza, but someone at City Hall decided the nearest shopping area for that new neighbourhood should be the existing one at Commissioners and Byron Baseline, hardly walking distance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - but Byron is one of the most poorly planned areas there is in Ontario. But don't take my word for it - just ask geography students at the University of Waterloo, who have studied the poor planning of Byron.

You may say that... But Byron is one of my favorite parts of the city to be. Never lived there but the overall feeling is one of the better ones... though I think Old South is the best.

Also I could care less about having a backyard. I probably step into mine once or twice a year. If I actually owned the property I'd be glad to convert that land into a community garden to grow vegetables. It's just wasted farmland that could be used to feed people. I know for a fact that the one subdivision near me has a lot of huge lots and huge homes, and yet the people who own the homes are rarely ever home - and they often are childless couples who don't need four bedrooms.

Well obviously not everyone wants or needs a large yard.

My point is, there is no reason a city of under 400,000 should take up so much space. We've all got to work together for the future.

That said, as some of you know, I also am a believer in big roads and expressways, in addition to public transit.

Agreed.

Blitz
Jun 29, 2009, 5:25 AM

London does seem to take up lots of space given its population but some of this might be due to amalgamation and the fact that there's so much farmland within the city limits for city council to work with. Windsor has very little land left so new subdivisions there are built following the grid system with homes packed together just to maximize tax revenue.

worldwide
Jun 29, 2009, 5:57 AM
Hippies like yourself are totally out of touch with reality. You have no clue what you're talking about.

uh... yeah, i'm a hippie... right.

only hippies "believe" in peak oil. any smart rational person knows that oil is an infinite resource that can be used indefinitely as a fuel source.

manny_santos
Jun 29, 2009, 4:01 PM
Agreed... for the most part. Families want big back yards, but there is basically no need for big front yards, so I'd be happy to see those shrink to a minimum.

Just because they want big backyards doesn't mean they should be able to get them. There have to be rules in place to protect land from being hoarded and used for nothing but grass and flowers, and sometimes a swimming pool. Land, like fuel, is an infinite resource.

You may say that... But Byron is one of my favorite parts of the city to be. Never lived there but the overall feeling is one of the better ones... though I think Old South is the best.

Hey, I like Springbank Park and Boler Mountain, no denying that. But from a planning standpoint it is a disaster. Old South is a great area, because Wortley Village is within walking distance of much shopping including Valu-Mart, Home Hardware, and The Little Red Roaster. Byron doesn't even have a hardware store, and you can't buy clothing there. And if you want groceries or coffee and don't live near Commissioners and Boler, you have to drive or take a bus. That, combined with the lack of places to work in the area, mean Byron's traffic congestion at rush hour is getting to be very bad, with lineups of up to one kilometre.

Oakridge, likewise has everything centralized at one intersection, and it was planned and built in the same era.

manny_santos
Jun 29, 2009, 4:10 PM
London does seem to take up lots of space given its population but some of this might be due to amalgamation and the fact that there's so much farmland within the city limits for city council to work with. Windsor has very little land left so new subdivisions there are built following the grid system with homes packed together just to maximize tax revenue.

I'm referring to the developed land within the urban growth boundary, which is just a bit bigger than the pre-1993 city limits. When I was in Mexico I was in a city of 200,000 but geographically it was the size of St. Thomas. And another city I was in, with 1.3 million people, was in an area half the size of London's developed area. (Imagine a city of that population located entirely east of Wharncliffe, west of Highbury, and between Highway 401 and Fanshawe Park Road.) There is green space there, everything is within walking distance, and public transit is far superior. No matter where you live, everything you need is within walking distance, even beer. No inch of land is wasted, and most buildings are three storeys high. It also does not feel overly crowded at all, but there is a lot of life to the area. That is how our cities should be planned.

london2020
Jul 1, 2009, 7:20 AM
uh... yeah, i'm a hippie... right.

only hippies "believe" in peak oil. any smart rational person knows that oil is an infinite resource that can be used indefinitely as a fuel source.

I believe in peak oil.

worldwide
Jul 1, 2009, 7:35 AM
ok, so the ball is in your court. how will we keep all the cars on the road?

london2020
Jul 2, 2009, 5:20 AM
Well we're talking about two different things now. The oil issue is one thing, and livable urban environments is another.

I have a large amount of technical knowledge on the subject of electric cars, and I believe they will provide the answer to breaking dependence on oil. The transition is starting now but will probably take 15-20 years to complete. Energy generation is a separate issue. Making sure our cars and trains are electric is one issue, and generating power from sources other than coal and oil is another topic.

As for nice urban environments, I think this bs with 'smart centers' needs to end. The format is just horrible. I used Hyde Park as an example before. All of those Smart Center stores (The Source, Le Chateau, etc etc) could have been built up to the lot line all along Hyde Park Road. It would have been fantastic. Parking could be in the back. Imagine that.

I know a lot of people are against enclosed malls, but I'd much rather go to a mall like Masonville than try to navigate that insane parking lot at Hyde Park. Enclosed malls could be designed a lot better than they typically are, but I don't think they're the devil by any means. I think the Eatons Centre in Toronto is great.

I think neighborhoods should be built on grid patterns and there should be lots of walkable retail, such as convenience stores and small grocery stores. There should also be large arterial roads (like Hyde Park in my above example) with storefronts and high density residential lining them. Lastly, there should be major expressways completely separated from the urban environment used to travel larger distances.

I like high-speed rail as a solution for travel over 250km... I love the idea of high-speed rail between the major cities of Ontario. This alone would cost billions and the main point would be to get people between cities. So dont expect intra-city rail to be a solution for getting around town. For public transit in the city, I wish London would have the balls to offer 24/7 bus service. It would save lives (drunk driving at night) and make life easier for many people.

manny_santos
Jul 3, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have a large amount of technical knowledge on the subject of electric cars, and I believe they will provide the answer to breaking dependence on oil. The transition is starting now but will probably take 15-20 years to complete. Energy generation is a separate issue. Making sure our cars and trains are electric is one issue, and generating power from sources other than coal and oil is another topic.

There are certainly people out there who want to eliminate cars completely, regardless of the power source. In 2004, when Gina Barber was running to become an NDP MP, I talked to her about transportation issues and she said we need to get rid of cars and trucks in the long term, and for long distance transportation at least we should exclusively use trains. (Four years earlier she spoke out against locating a Tim Hortons in Byron, which ironically has stopped people from driving to other parts of London to get a Tim Hortons coffee. She wanted it both ways.)

As for nice urban environments, I think this bs with 'smart centers' needs to end. The format is just horrible. I used Hyde Park as an example before. All of those Smart Center stores (The Source, Le Chateau, etc etc) could have been built up to the lot line all along Hyde Park Road. It would have been fantastic. Parking could be in the back. Imagine that.

I know a lot of people are against enclosed malls, but I'd much rather go to a mall like Masonville than try to navigate that insane parking lot at Hyde Park. Enclosed malls could be designed a lot better than they typically are, but I don't think they're the devil by any means. I think the Eatons Centre in Toronto is great.

I agree with you 100%. I'm going to bring Mexico up again, because one thing that is done right there is that they have gotten into building shopping malls in recent years, and there is very little big box. Aside from a small Wal-Mart in the parking lot at most of these malls, these malls are like Masonville with a couple anchors, a food court, and lots of upscale stores (no Lululemon though). They typically charge 10 pesos an hour for parking (about 88 cents Canadian) and in return you get your car washed by hand while you shop. (If that isn't living comfortably, what is?) When was the last time such a mall was built in Ontario? I don't think one has been built in the past 20 years.

I think neighborhoods should be built on grid patterns and there should be lots of walkable retail, such as convenience stores and small grocery stores. There should also be large arterial roads (like Hyde Park in my above example) with storefronts and high density residential lining them. Lastly, there should be major expressways completely separated from the urban environment used to travel larger distances.

Absolutely.

For public transit in the city, I wish London would have the balls to offer 24/7 bus service. It would save lives (drunk driving at night) and make life easier for many people.

It'll never happen.

Luker
Jul 6, 2009, 8:09 PM
Paris, has 15+ metro lines, thousands of buses, a population of 10 Millon + and a vibrant city and nightlife, and its metro closes at 1am and opens at 5am, almsot everycity in the world outside of NYC and maybe if im guessing Tokyo, Bejing and a few others perhaps, but almsot none of them offer 24/7 service, although london has PLENTYY to do in the public transit department.

Your first priority above and beyond all must be to re evaluate your urban plan. With priority going to a major expressway, if not a 2nd widened and median 6 lane road (70-80kmh) thers a couple possibilities for expansion.. as for the expressway as always oxford seems most obvious and yes you may have to exprepropiate some houses while doing so but get it done. traffic is absurd and your only 350K deep. After that you should be able to focus on a new transit priority based on the new dedicated high speed routes available.. lastly if you were to achieve this all in the next 10-15 years you could have a manageable city with much better traffic flow then today... but by then hopefully you will have grown finallyyy and the ring road can be completed... the added investment of working inside first rather than ringroad first will benefit london more greatly.

london2020
Jul 7, 2009, 6:37 AM
Your first priority above and beyond all must be to re evaluate your urban plan. With priority going to a major expressway, if not a 2nd widened and median 6 lane road (70-80kmh) thers a couple possibilities for expansion.. as for the expressway as always oxford seems most obvious and yes you may have to exprepropiate some houses while doing so but get it done. traffic is absurd and your only 350K deep. After that you should be able to focus on a new transit priority based on the new dedicated high speed routes available.. lastly if you were to achieve this all in the next 10-15 years you could have a manageable city with much better traffic flow then today... but by then hopefully you will have grown finallyyy and the ring road can be completed... the added investment of working inside first rather than ringroad first will benefit london more greatly.

You're totally right.

And I'm glad you mentioned Oxford. This seriously concerns me. They're spending massive taxpayer dollars to reconstruct a large portion of that road as we speak. Why exactly is it not being widened to 6 lanes at this time? Are they going to waste money like they did with the VMP, only to have to rip it apart again in a few years?

london2020
Jul 15, 2009, 9:22 PM
The crane is up at Tricar's Hyde Park site..... :tup:

sparky212
Jul 16, 2009, 2:12 PM
What are these building supposed to look like? Are they going to be a copy of the ones on wonderland?

MolsonExport
Jul 17, 2009, 2:17 PM
^I think so, but details are hard to come by. I remember seeing something that resembled those towers at Southdale/Wonderland (behind Blaw-Lobs).

london2020
Jul 17, 2009, 7:06 PM
hopefully they look more like the ones at wonderland and springbank...

QuantumLeap
Jul 29, 2009, 1:11 AM
No renders online or on MLS yet. I wasn't impressed with what I saw at planning committee though...

london2020
Jul 31, 2009, 5:31 AM
I was looking at some old road and transit plans for London today, and saw some interesting proposals that never came to fruition.

- In 1990 there was a study involving intersection improvements at Wellington and Commissioners, as part of the widening of Wellington from 4 to 6 lanes between there and Baseline. One of the proposals was to build a SPUI (Single Point Urban Interchange) to replace the intersection, with Commissioners passing underneath Wellington. Another option was to build a grade separated ramp from Commissioners westbound to Wellington southbound, travelling underneath the intersection.

- To the east at Adelaide in the same era, one proposal would've had Commissioners passing over both the CN railway and Adelaide, and Adeliade being extended to flow onto Pond Mills at Southdale. A "jug handle" would have been built as a southerly extension of Leathorne Street, to connect Commissioners and Adeliade.

- Dedicated bus lanes and bus roads, not unlike Ottawa's Transitway, were proposed way back in 1974 in the London Urban Transportation Study (the predecessor to the Transportation Master Plan). The bus lanes would've run along Wellington from Commissioners to downtown, north on Richmond, west on the CP railway corridor, and north along Platt's Lane and Western Road to UWO. Other rapid transit routes would've existed along Dundas east to Highbury and west to Wharncliffe and then onto Springbank west to Wonderland, and the CP corridor one continuing west to Hutton (Wonderland) Road.

- Same 1974 plan called for a southerly extension of Colborne Street to meet Wellington between Baseline and Grand, as well as changing Richmond and Wellington into one-way streets, with Wellington being 3 lanes northbound and Richmond being 3 lanes southbound, converging via either Grey or Simcoe Street. The plan also called for not only the Horton westerly extension which opened in 1985, but also an easterly Horton extension to Trafalgar Street, just west of Highbury, running along the south side of the CN mainline. The long-discussed King Street extension was also shown.

- Also in the 1974 plan was a proposed realignment, in conjunction with Middlesex County, of Hyde Park Road to bypass Hyde Park Corner to the east. Boler Road was also supposed to be realigned to run easterly to Colonel Talbot Road between Baseline and Southdale. The Oxford west extension is also shown, and what later became Veteran's Memorial Parkway.

- The 1974 plan included various road widenings, many of which have never been built. Springbank was called to be widened to 6 lanes east of Wonderland, Wellington to 6 lanes south from downtown to the 401, and Western/Wharncliffe to 4 lanes in the section which is still 2 lanes.

Some of the projects that did come out of this plan included the VMP (1977-1997), the Wonderland/Hutton link (1978), the Oxford extension (2003), the Horton west extension (1985), widening Wharncliffe to 4 lanes from Mount Pleasant Ave to Oxford (1982), widening Fanshawe Park Road to 4 lanes between Wonderland and Adelaide (1995-1998), and the Highbury/Bradley interchange (c. 1993).

I was looking through old pages of this thread and this caught my attention. This is just pathetic. How can our city's leadership be so terrible that none of this happened.

The idea of making Richmond and Wellington one-way streets through the core occurred to me before. I am glad to hear someone else though of it too. It makes so much sense.

And don't get me started on the Adelaide north/south bs. Linking the two sections of Adelaide should be a priority. As should linking Gainsborough, Winderemere, and Kilally.

I think there are still plans for linking Boler and Col Talbot, just in a different way this time.

And why was King St not extended? Seems perfectly logical to me. Same for the Colborne thing.

The Horton extension sounds like a smart move as well.

I think it's pretty sad that in 1974 they knew Wellington and Springbank would have to be 6 lane roads, and to this day they are not.

GreatTallNorth2
Jul 31, 2009, 8:30 PM
This is the story of London, Ontario. What is even more pathetic is the fact that we keep electing the same idiots. It's a pre-requisite to be mayor to have no plan.

MolsonExport
Aug 1, 2009, 2:39 AM
Nostalgia for the status quo = today's london leadership = mediocrity

london2020
Aug 2, 2009, 12:49 AM
Wow. It's 8:45 on a Saturday evening and I wanted to call London Transit to inquire about a route. There are no telephone operators available on Saturdays after 12pm. What the fuck?! This is pathetic.

FazDeH
Aug 2, 2009, 7:27 PM
Yah, that's the LTC for you. When classes resume, here will be my day.
Monday to friday I have class until at least 8pm, I catch the Wonderland, which at this time comes every half hour,.. no matter what happens I have to wait 57 minutes for the next Springbank bus westbound, and then I get to walk 3kms from the nearest bus stop to my house. Yah, the London Transit system is awesome.

manny_santos
Aug 6, 2009, 2:18 PM
I think there are still plans for linking Boler and Col Talbot, just in a different way this time.

[...]

I think it's pretty sad that in 1974 they knew Wellington and Springbank would have to be 6 lane roads, and to this day they are not.

Yes, the plan was later revised to extend Boler southward to meet Colonel Talbot just north of Pack Road, which will eventually be the Bradley extension.

And speaking of which, whatever happened to the Bradley extension segment that was supposed to be built in 2008 between Wonderland and Wharncliffe?

The City of London did favour 6-lane widenings in its plans at one time, but the likes of Sandy Levin were heavily opposed to building roads for future traffic needs. The Oxford extension was originally supposed to be six lanes, and as I recall, he successfully fought to reduce it to two lanes. It opened in 2003 and it took no time for the section around Sanitorium Road to become heavily lined up at rush hour. Levin had the belief that wider roads attract more traffic, but guess what? It means traffic is syphoned off other roads! After Oxford was widened to four lanes east of Hyde Park in 2005-06, I noticed a drop in traffic volume on Riverside.

london2020
Aug 7, 2009, 3:24 PM
Fuck Sandy Levin. What a PRICK. I am going to become a City Council member and propose building an elevated expressway right over top of his house. :D

The Oxford Extension cost our taxpayers a fortune to build and that asshole thinks he has the right to waste even more of our money by building a bridge that will require major renovation (widening) when 6 lanes are required. Disgusting.

It looks like the current bridge can easily take 4 lanes, but if we need more (which we will when they build the ring road), then Lord knows what they will have to do to fix this problem.

As for the Bradley Extension, the developers wanted out of having to build their sections of it. So instead the city allowed them to revise their plans to use other smaller roads to service those subdivisions. The Bradley Extension is still part of their plan, but with the city tasked with the work who knows when it might happen.

MolsonExport
Aug 7, 2009, 4:05 PM
Heard on the radio today (the apocalyptic tones of Kevin Newman on 97.5) that many infrastructure projects originally slated for this year have been pushed back or postponed indefinitely.

go_leafs_go02
Aug 7, 2009, 4:55 PM
Heard on the radio today (the apocalyptic tones of Kevin Newman on 97.5) that many infrastructure projects originally slated for this year have been pushed back or postponed indefinitely.

any examples to share?

GreatTallNorth2
Aug 8, 2009, 4:37 PM
The Oxford Extension cost our taxpayers a fortune to build and that asshole thinks he has the right to waste even more of our money by building a bridge that will require major renovation (widening) when 6 lanes are required. Disgusting.

It looks like the current bridge can easily take 4 lanes, but if we need more (which we will when they build the ring road), then Lord knows what they will have to do to fix this problem.

The good news for us is that we all will be long dead before any expressway plans are ever drawn up.

london2020
Aug 9, 2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah, they'll start the expressway soon enough... Probably by the time the rest of the world has flying cars and 300 storey buildings.

MolsonExport
Aug 10, 2009, 1:08 PM
any examples to share?

Sorry, I was barely awake, and I just tune out of all the bad news of late, for the sake of my sanity.

sparky212
Aug 12, 2009, 2:47 PM
hey guys dundas is closed pretty much from hewit to english does anybody got any new on whats happenin?

1ajs
Aug 20, 2009, 5:04 AM
is it worth taking a jump out to london on some random invite for a bit??