PDA

View Full Version : London Construction - Development News Thread#1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Simpseatles
Oct 10, 2011, 5:45 PM
I went past the new downtown Shoppers yesterday, and they had the signage up and everything. Also went past the seniors apartment in Old East, and it looks like it's about one story up now. Oh, and it looks like Nuvo condos phase 2 is well under construction as well!

bolognium
Oct 10, 2011, 9:03 PM
Yeah, the Shoppers looks great. Sign's up and they even had the interior lights on last night.

Seems like it'll be done in no time :)

crazeed60
Oct 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hey does anyone have any idea what's going up on Brescia lane at the UWO. Theyre just about done the new 3 story building but they just put up a second much taller tower crane. I went by the other day and it looks like its already at ground level.

MolsonExport
Oct 12, 2011, 1:53 PM
^IVEY phase II

Wharn
Oct 26, 2011, 4:39 PM
Hey does anyone know if there is something planned for Windermere Road between Doon and... well, Doon? I was walking along it the other day and I noticed all the large trees had been removed from a particular lot. This seemed strange for me, since I assumed that if you were living on Windermere you'd want the privacy the trees give you.

bolognium
Oct 26, 2011, 4:44 PM
Were the Ash trees?

londoner_abroad
Oct 27, 2011, 7:15 AM
Hey does anyone know if there is something planned for Windermere Road between Doon and... well, Doon? I was walking along it the other day and I noticed all the large trees had been removed from a particular lot. This seemed strange for me, since I assumed that if you were living on Windermere you'd want the privacy the trees give you.

I believe this is a detached condo development with about 4-6 houses to be built.

Wharn
Oct 27, 2011, 8:40 PM
Were the Ash trees?

Not sure. If you're implying ash borer, there were a few other trees that were ripped out as well. Here's a view of what the spot looked like before: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=windermere+road&hl=en&ll=43.01978,-81.260548&spn=0.004652,0.009645&safe=off&hnear=Windermere+Rd,+London,+Ontario&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=43.019818,-81.260417&panoid=L7yk50LiPqmyZjci_GYo9A&cbp=12,327.69,,0,-0.7

And here is an extremely shitty BlackBerry shot showing the place now. Notice the small excavator just slightly above and to the left of the fire hydrant:

http://i.imgur.com/vHTubl.jpg

I believe this is a detached condo development with about 4-6 houses to be built.

Is there any official word on that? Detached condos sound interesting, personally I was always hoping for some low-rises along Windermere so the LTC would re-route the 32 off of Doon Drive.

That_Chris
Nov 16, 2011, 9:40 PM
London gets a brand new YOU
Multimillion-dollar youth hub ready to open Only a few more construction days before Cornerstone building welcomes guests

ANGELA MULLINS/METRO
Stephen Szucs, of 1st Line Property Management, puts the finishing touches on the walls of the YOU Made It Café in the Cornerstone building. Youth Opportunities Unlimited is planning a grand opening of the building on Nov. 25.
More about London

London council committee OKs extra east-end eyes, delays shark fin decision

London News in Brief: shooting investigation, b-ball trade and health staff honoured

Council mulls Adelaide cameras

Comedy club coming to Western Fair District

ANGELA MULLINS
METRO LONDON
Published: November 15, 2011 10:34 p.m.
Last modified: November 15, 2011 10:57 p.m.

The wrapper is about to be peeled off a four-year labour of love.

Youth Opportunities Unlimited (YOU) is planning a Nov. 25 grand opening of its Cornerstone building at Richmond and York streets.

Steve Cordes, for one, is anxious to see the building spring to life. After that, he says, the real work starts.

“The excitement will be helping to support the development of partnerships … and making sure the full vision is realized,” Cordes, the executive director of YOU, said Tuesday.

That vision — creating a hub of services and opportunities for at-risk youth — began in 2007 when YOU bought the three-storey, nearly 140-year-old building. Within weeks, volunteers were gutting the first floor, once home to three bars.

“The taps were still on. We literally had to have someone come and turn them off,” Cordes said, as workers painted interior walls and began removing a temporary wood facade that has kept much of the work out of the public eye.

The $5-million facility — funded by a variety of donors and all levels of government — has faced obstacles and delays along the way.

One of the challenges was an unexpected structural problem that was causing the walls to collapse inward, officials have said. But some of the lengthy renovation is thanks to an eye for detail, Cordes said.

Plans have been put together piece by piece to make sure the building’s 33,000 square feet are shaped into a multifaceted facility that’s convenient for everyone.

The renovation also has included a bit of heritage work, with project leaders digging up the structure’s original blueprints and using them as a guide.

Some parts of the building are already in use, including a rooftop boardroom with glass walls looking out onto the city skyline. YOU’s Youth Action Centre has also moved in.

While the grand opening is set for next week, a few features — such as the YOU Made It Café operated by youth enrolled in YOU programs — isn’t ready to welcome the public just yet.

“We’re talking just a matter of weeks, though, before that’s ready,” Cordes said.

The building also incorporates transitional housing for teens and young adults.
More about London

Nov 24th for Shoppers and 25th for this.

A bit of a one two punch for the core, eh?

MolsonExport
Nov 17, 2011, 1:36 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anybody buy anything from the YOU shop at the covent garden market. But then, I've never seen the blue Lounge open, nor anybody buy anything at that children's store on the second floor, not to mention, the two artist galleries (one guy is fascinated with table hockey iconography and pez guns...the other guy is just bizarro art)

manny_santos
Nov 17, 2011, 4:55 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anybody buy anything from the YOU shop at the covent garden market. But then, I've never seen the blue Lounge open, nor anybody buy anything at that children's store on the second floor, not to mention, the two artist galleries (one guy is fascinated with table hockey iconography and pez guns...the other guy is just bizarro art)

Seniors Craft Store at Oxbury Mall does better than that.

LondONstudent
Nov 17, 2011, 6:27 AM
YOU building is very well one inside (when of my friends lives there currently) exposed concrete and bick, all plumbing an ventilation is viable, perfectly done.

Also I have bought on the sampled relishes at the YOU booth in the market its actually quite good.

bolognium
Nov 17, 2011, 6:45 AM
I've been noticing a lot of little things happening on the street's of downtown over the past couple months. Here's a couple off the top of my head:

- New night lighting on the heritage buildings kitty-corner to the market
- Rock Universe opened on Dundas
- Che Restaurant opened on Dundas Street
- Construction of a rooftop patio at Lavish on Dundas
- Renovation activity at the Fun Foodz building on Dundas
- Club Noir opened in the old Salt Lounge on King
- Big League Comedy opened up at King/Richmond across from the Richmond Tavern
- Owners seem to be gutting 181 King beside Club Noir (every week there's a new mountain of garbage outside)
- Clicks and Club LG on Richmond both received face lifts
- North Moore Catering opened about 4 months ago on Dundas

I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting. Plus there's lots of stuff within the last year or so like The Works burger joint on King and London's Shawarma on Clarence.

MolsonExport
Nov 17, 2011, 1:49 PM
^new Paris Bakery in Covent Garden Market...no vacancies in that place now.

Chadillaccc
Nov 23, 2011, 3:18 AM
Can someone take a pic of the Old East development site?

haljackey
Nov 23, 2011, 4:34 AM
The Crown on King? I don't often venture that way but if I do I'll be sure to snap a few photos.

The new development at 431 Richmond between Carling and Queen is nearly complete. The Shoppers Drug Mart on the ground floor is due to open on the 24th and the office floors later on this year.

londoner_abroad
Nov 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hey! Just wondering if any one in the area of the following projects could take some happy snaps!? I used to do a bi-weekly weekend tour of projects on the go and now I am going through withdrawal.. haha

1. The completed and open Shoppers DM at Richmond/Carling
2. New stacked towns across from Winners/LCBO plaza in Masonville at FanshawPark Rd W./North Centre Rd - the ones facing Fanshawe Park Rd
3. the completed work of the CIBC (and maybe the Wendy's if that was ever started) in Hyde Park across from Canadian Tire on Hyde Park Road.
4. The Rembrant townhouse complex on Hyde Park road south of the Smart Centre and north of the Storm Pond, particularly how the units ended up fronting onto Hyde Park Rd. (if completed)
5. 3 Storey Mixed use development at Wortley/Bruce in Old South
6. The completed Soccer Dome/Shed haha I just want to see if the did what was proposed along Rectory
7. Affordable housing behind the old OEV hardware store on the block east of Hewitt along Dundas
8. I would like to see how the development at Southdale & Colonel Talbot is doing? How does the Shoppers look - particularly along Colonel Talbot? - Anyone ever notice that the Tim Hortons there is facing its back to the street .. sigh..
9. Any downtown developments? I hear that the place between Cello and Kingwest was done? and I heard that the nice heritage building at King and Talbot is light up at night.
10. Last but not least.. this is really to just satisfy my own curiosity.. I have been wondering after seeing the ballon pics of the new Richmond and Sunningdale development (NW corner) if the houses are actually of a "Heritage look" with "houses closer to the street" and "garages taking up less of the frontage" as this will be a "walkable community" with " a main street shopping area" all paraphrased from the developers website.. So what I have been wondering is do the houses that are being built there now reflect any of the above?

Many thanks to anyone who can get some happy snaps of these projects..
Cheers

ForestryW
Nov 28, 2011, 1:03 PM
:previous:Also the Wortley Village condos.

K85
Nov 28, 2011, 4:33 PM
If you guys give me a map with the places dotted out and numbered, I have the time to do it this weekend (pending good weather) and can make a day of it :) (So I can plan a route)

MolsonExport
Nov 28, 2011, 4:55 PM
Currently at the dumbcentre at Hyde Park and Fanshawe Pk Road West, there is an unidentified construction at Seagull next to CIBC and a new Kelseys outlet on Fanshawe in front of Lowe's. 1 kilometer to the East, a new Catholic secondary school is going up.

Symz
Dec 7, 2011, 8:18 PM
Hey guys, found an interesting article in your newspaper about a levy? I was wondering if it's the development levy I think I had read about a while back, so your mayor can revitalize the downtown?

It's actually a letter (to the residents of London that read it?) from Schmuel Farhi..

http://www.lfpress.com/comment/2011/12/02/19060786.html

I likely pay as much in property taxes as almost anyone in London — millions of dollars a year. A 1% tax increase (or levy) represents significant dollars to me and is something that should not be taken lightly.

But our city stands at a crossroads.

London must send a consistent message that we are progressive, aggressive, and fully aware of what needs to be done to move our economy forward.

We won’t be able to bring all of our civic dreams to fruition, but we need to move ahead on at least some of them to prove we are forward-thinking and not afraid to seize opportunity when it presents itself.

That is the kind of confident approach that will bring new economic opportunities here.

As I travel across Ontario, which I do frequently, I see other cities that have taken hold of this kind of initiative and been successful in improving their economic situation.

Kitchener-Waterloo, Hamilton and Windsor are just three of many municipalities that have recently used public funds as a catalyst to promote private investment.

I understand the concern of some Londoners about any increase in taxes, but they need to be reminded the proposed surcharge will return far more in new municipal revenues than it costs.

Most of us have been around long enough to be very suspicious of promises of automatic “economic spinoffs” for every publicly funded special event or project.

Many of them cost more than they ever pay back in money or opportunity.

But the benefits we will reap from this “1%” fund will be readily quantifiable: Property and business tax totals will climb as new business is attracted here because we primed the pump.

I think it is responsible to insist that any such levy be self-eliminating. The public deserves — and should have — a clear accounting of how the revenue it generates are used to control, even reduce, property tax levels.

Not only would that create pressure to use the money wisely, it would reward Londoners for their temporary sacrifice. And it would strengthen council’s image as responsible stewards of the public purse.

In my business dealings, I always look for the “win/win” solution, and I believe that should be our goal here, too, one best met by investing wisely now and returning the benefits to taxpayers.

As a taxpayer myself, I applaud every effort to keep rates down but we must not lose sight of the difference between holding the line on taxes and holding back economic growth.

I urge you, as strongly as I can, to support the 1% levy as a temporary measure with clearly defined goals and expectations.

Shmuel Farhi is the president of Farhi Holdings Corp. in London.

bolognium
Dec 7, 2011, 9:02 PM
Great letter and I completely agree with him. Unfortunately, it seems like most Londoners are willing to let the city stagnate so that they can save $2.50 a month.

This city is ridiculous.

manny_santos
Dec 7, 2011, 10:53 PM
If the Bell building wasn't ugly enough, and the Farhi banners around downtown weren't enough of an eyesore...

There's now a light-up Farhi sign on the Bell building.

Symz
Dec 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
If the Bell building wasn't ugly enough, and the Farhi banners around downtown weren't enough of an eyesore...

There's now a light-up Farhi sign on the Bell building.

Ouch. Someone should get a picture so we can witness this abomination!

Simpseatles
Dec 7, 2011, 11:41 PM

Hey I...appreciate the Bell building! Yes, it's a bit awkward and strange, but it feels "big city" to me.

manny_santos
Dec 10, 2011, 9:39 PM
The new A&W at Oxford and Hyde Park is now open, but from what I can see there is no sidewalk accessing the premises from either street.

Nice job, creating another commercial anti-pedestrian development in a high-density residential area with a high school. This will be great in the winter.

MolsonExport
Dec 13, 2011, 8:22 AM
^yeah, this sucks. but at least it faces the street. Unlike the horrid beer Store ("Jim, can you get me a case of 24 Coors Light?"), and Four-bucks.

bolognium
Dec 17, 2011, 3:18 AM
There's an LFP article about the downtown office vacancy rate dropping. Found this snippet to be pretty interesting:

In fact, Sifton has had to turn some prospective tenants away.

"Our office business is very healthy and we're seeing growth and innovation and businesses moving forward" with expansion plans, said Piper Badgley, leasing manager commercial for Sifton Properties Ltd.

In fact, business is so good at One London Place that if Sifton can find an anchor tenant, it will start to build a second tower adjacent to the existing one, she said.

"We're very optimistic about the future and we have the pylons in place for phase two," Badgley said. "It's becoming more of a reality we would move forward on that."

LFP - Office market at core of fresh hope (http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/12/16/19135096.html)

Never thought I'd see the day when Two London Place was being talked about. I actually like One London Place being a lone, signature tower. Not sure how I feel about it finally having a twin.

I wonder if this is just big talk, or if Sifton's actually serious about expanding.

sparky212
Dec 17, 2011, 3:29 AM
just saw this and was about to post it. I think it will look good against its bigger brother since it will be substantialy shorter (i think its only gonna be 18s or so) so not really a twin.

manny_santos
Dec 17, 2011, 4:48 AM
There's an LFP article about the downtown office vacancy rate dropping. Found this snippet to be pretty interesting:

LFP - Office market at core of fresh hope (http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/12/16/19135096.html)

Never thought I'd see the day when Two London Place was being talked about. I actually like One London Place being a lone, signature tower. Not sure how I feel about it finally having a twin.

I wonder if this is just big talk, or if Sifton's actually serious about expanding.

Wait, we have high unemployment, but there's now a shortage of office space?

Something isn't adding up.

haljackey
Dec 17, 2011, 5:06 AM
Interesting.

Just remember that the render/drawing for Two London Place is old... It may look nothing like it.

Two London Place. That has a fantastic ring to it. Building a new, modern office tower will help show that London has bounced back in a big way. With downtown revitalization, along with a large residential boom, perhaps the core is ready to breathe the sweet air of prosperity.

Either way it's great news. The amount of high quality of office space in London could use some expansion, and a nice new tower would add to our skyline and create some jobs (both building and using it).

Simpseatles
Dec 17, 2011, 1:40 PM
A shorter copy of One London Place would look pretty distasteful to me. That's what I like about One London Place. It is "the" tower in the city, and it doesn't have some stupid twin beside it. And besides, I'd much rather have the vacant office space in the Bell building and some of the other older buildings downtown taken up.

If they do go ahead with 2 London Place, it better be a fresh new design, and it better be integrated with the street better. As much as I like One London Place, I don't feel that it really fits with the downtown urban fabric all that well.

Snark
Dec 17, 2011, 6:53 PM
If they do go ahead with 2 London Place, it better be a fresh new design, and it better be integrated with the street better. As much as I like One London Place, I don't feel that it really fits with the downtown urban fabric all that well.

Major changes to the design would be difficult due to the second tower's foundation being already in place. That sets the location, size, and shape of the building footprint. Secondly, the structural design of the complex is somewhat unique: the towers feature a slipformed core surrounded by a structural steel frame that makes up most of the structure. The existing foundation will be built to accommodate that.

Cosmetic changes would be possible, but the fundamentals are likely set unless the developer wishes to pay extra for mods to the foundation/parking garage.

Blitz
Dec 17, 2011, 7:58 PM
I kind of hope it would look different too. What is with this city's obsession with twin towers?

QuantumLeap
Dec 18, 2011, 12:33 AM
not unlike this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankers_Hall. I would hope Sifton would make some changes as well to the design. The foundation fixes the footprint of the building, but little else.

haljackey
Dec 18, 2011, 5:13 PM
Well they wouldn't be true twins based on the old render.

Twins are simply cheaper to build since they use the same design, sometimes mirrored. No additional work is needed except for some minor adjustments.

At this point, a new AAA office tower in London would be huge, regardless of it's design.

Snark
Dec 19, 2011, 2:38 AM
The foundation fixes the footprint of the building, but little else.

There ARE other considerations. What is currently in place below grade is designed to accept a certain maximum static loading as was envisioned in 1990. The loading points are only sized so strong. Other considerations include hard servicing, which is installed from the foundation to the street, and is sized for a certain number of occupants. Any modification to the original design that ends up placing the same demands on the existing base structure as was originally envisioned can work as long as the footprint and structural loading points remain the same. Anything beyond that will cost the developer extra dollars to modify.

At this point, a new AAA office tower in London would be huge, regardless of it's design.

Absofrickenlutely

bolognium
Jan 11, 2012, 2:57 PM
Anyone catch Joe's state of the city address? He touched on two pretty damn interesting developments.

One was a residential (maybe mixed use) complex on Wellington and South streets. And the other was a development somewhere on York Street which will apparently have a grocery store...

The details were really vague, but here are two screencaps:

http://i.imgur.com/rj9ll.jpg

MrSlippery519
Jan 11, 2012, 4:02 PM
I read the article but did not catch the actual address, those projects must be pretty solid as he has mentioned them now on a few occasions.

I am most interested in the York St one, wonder where they are thinking. There are quite a few parking lots...maybe call the office is getting knocked down lol.

sparky212
Jan 11, 2012, 5:50 PM
I count 32 on the one on the right if this goes through this will be sweet:banana:

londoner_abroad
Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
I am most interested in the York St one, wonder where they are thinking. There are quite a few parking lots...maybe call the office is getting knocked down lol.

This would actually be on the site where the abandoned "King-Wah Food Supplies" building is currently which is just west of the Greyhound Bus station. Personally I don't think its too "exciting"

MrSlippery519
Jan 12, 2012, 12:56 AM
This would actually be on the site where the abandoned "King-Wah Food Supplies" building is currently which is just west of the Greyhound Bus station. Personally I don't think its too "exciting"

Not terribly exciting if it's just a small building however I was thinking a residential tower with a retail/grocery type lower level would be ideal. If it's the picture shown it's nothing special however any grocery downtown is a good thing.

londoner_abroad
Jan 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Let put dreams and fantasies (SoHo development) on hold and look at some real projects, shall we? hahaha

New projects going to the Urban Design Peer Review Panel this month:

- Proposed Big Box retail (yes another one..) at S/W Corner of Southdale and White Oak Rd ~ Seems like the old school way of designing.. especially with the drive through directly parallel along the whole Southdale Rd. frontage.

- Proposed Mercedes Benz Dealership on Southdale Rd. a couple sites west of the one mentioned above ~ the brief isnt opening, will try to contact someone at the city to see if they can get the link up and running.

- New Fire Station #7 to be on Webster St replacing the tired #7 currently located on Highbury Avenue between Cheapside and Huron ~ Looks neat, I am glad that this fire station looks like a civic building like a a true fire station as opposed to the house on Fanshawe Park Road. Similarly to the house on Colonel Talbot south of Southdale that also looks like a house with an over sized garage but is really and EMS station.. Why would anyone make something look like its not!? Glad to see the City seems to have changed directions.

- Carpenters Union building to be built on Highbury South of the 401 near flying J ~ looks like a nice building taking into consideration where it is located. I like how the architects placed the building closer to street and actually created an active frontage. There is parking on either side but I guess its a necessary evil again due to its location.

Anyway if anyone wants to check out the briefs with renderings go to:
http://london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/Peerjan18_12.htm

north 42
Jan 12, 2012, 4:38 PM
Anyone catch Joe's state of the city address? He touched on two pretty damn interesting developments.

One was a residential (maybe mixed use) complex on Wellington and South streets. And the other was a development somewhere on York Street which will apparently have a grocery store...

So what are the chances of this project actually happening? It looks great and would be a nice addition to your growing skyline. Is So-Ho very close to your downtown?

haljackey
Jan 12, 2012, 5:06 PM
So what are the chances of this project actually happening? It looks great and would be a nice addition to your growing skyline. Is So-Ho very close to your downtown?

I have no idea what the chances of this happening since the vast majority of us found out about it yesterday.

So-Ho is directly south of downtown. It begins 'south of Horton Street' and extends south towards the Thames River.

bolognium
Jan 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
Developer, theatre leaders see possibilities after years of talks. Deal also could see new residential tower built near Richmond and Dufferin.

A London development company has jumped on board a plan that could lead to a big expansion at The Grand Theatre.

Key to how far — and how quickly — the proposal moves will be whether city officials agree to a land deal.

Landlocked on three sides and unable to build upward, the only option for expanding The Grand (471 Richmond St.) is a parking lot owned by Sifton Development. The lot — with frontage on Dufferin Avenue — abuts the back of the theatre. Leaders of the arts venue have been eyeing it for years.

With no money to buy the lot in The Grand’s coffers and Sifton hesitant to give up parking for its nearby office building, plans were at a standstill, said Deb Harvey, the theatre’s executive director.

“Without that parking lot, we really cannot expand,” she said.

Now, the ball’s rolling again.

Theatre officials and Sifton have approached the city with a proposal: They want control of a municipal parking lot on Queens Avenue, east of the London Club (just east of Richmond). Richard Sifton, the development company’s president, said that would allow the company to give The Grand its Dufferin lot without losing parking spaces.

If the city is willing to give up the lot, it would be an important step to making the expansion a reality.

Earlier this week, members of a city council committee forwarded a letter explaining the proposal to staff for review. Harvey said the idea — plus architectural renderings — has been pitched to city leaders, including Mayor Joe Fontana.

Things started to pickup steam in the fall when a multimillion-dollar plan for downtown was unveiled, she said.

With Fanshawe College developing its downtown arts campus and UWO considering taking over the block including Centennial Hall, it’s a good time to put ideas on the table, Harvey said.

“We are one of many people presenting proposals to the city these days,” Harvey said. “We have to dream a little bit and plan for our city. … I think that is happening right now.”

Source Metro - Grand plan to expand theatre gets boost (http://www.metronews.ca/london/local/article/1080543--grand-plan-to-expand-theatre-gets-boost)

Kokkei Mizu
Jan 30, 2012, 3:21 AM
Deal also could see new residential tower built near Richmond and Dufferin.

Wait what? Nothing in the article talked about this...?

bolognium
Jan 30, 2012, 3:56 AM
It was mentioned at the top of the article right beneath the headline. If you click on the Metro link you'll see it in bold.

Dunno why they didn't go into more detail within the article itself, though.

manny_santos
Jan 30, 2012, 4:50 AM
Someone other than Schmuel "Alpha Male" Farhi owns something downtown???

QuantumLeap
Jan 31, 2012, 7:30 PM

http://www.endripolettiarchitect.com/Projects.html if you look at 4, it looks distinctly like this is next to the Greyhound eg at King Wah.

QuantumLeap
Jan 31, 2012, 7:40 PM
Looks like the building went to committee of adjustment to get relief from - get this - the requirement to have 6 parking spaces on-site. Are you kidding?! This sort of anti-urban policy is the reason London (and other cities in North America, for that matter) are so suburban, and when garbage-atic when they aren't urban.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=89%20york%20street%20london%20ontario&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.london.ca%2FPlanning_and_Development%2FPDFs%2FLIC%2FA_127_10.pdf&ei=KEMoT9mpFMLigge_4v3-BA&usg=AFQjCNH82WImOT5MWIRS8CCG8paXKVDKfw&cad=rja

ForestryW
Jan 31, 2012, 9:01 PM
Still, it's encouraging that a developer would even think about building an office building with insufficient parking in downtown London and not be concerned about attracting tenants.

Added it to the consolidated projects page.

Kokkei Mizu
Feb 1, 2012, 3:23 AM
Looks like the building went to committee of adjustment to get relief from - get this - the requirement to have 6 parking spaces on-site. Are you kidding?! This sort of anti-urban policy is the reason London (and other cities in North America, for that matter) are so suburban, and when garbage-atic when they aren't urban.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=89%20york%20street%20london%20ontario&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.london.ca%2FPlanning_and_Development%2FPDFs%2FLIC%2FA_127_10.pdf&ei=KEMoT9mpFMLigge_4v3-BA&usg=AFQjCNH82WImOT5MWIRS8CCG8paXKVDKfw&cad=rja

I think the municipality asking for parking on the property is not a bad thing per say. However, for a development like this, I would expect the parking to be one or two levels of underground parking.

MolsonExport
Feb 1, 2012, 2:19 PM
Must be Shmuel's brother or cousin. I think London should be rebranded...Western-style, so that we can be distinguished (from London England) by a couple of people living in Burkina Faso or Bhutan.

Shmuelsburg sounds nice. The Fahri Experience. The Fahri City (instead of the Forest City). The incredible Shmu.

Here's our new Font (Helmuth) and brand:
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41595_154424481258890_1298_n.jpg

manny_santos
Feb 1, 2012, 7:05 PM
Must be Shmuel's brother or cousin. I think London should be rebranded...Western-style, so that we can be distinguished (from London England) by a couple of people living in Burkina Faso or Bhutan.

Shmuelsburg sounds nice. The Fahri Experience. The Fahri City (instead of the Forest City). The incredible Shmu.

Here's our new Font (Helmuth) and brand:
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41595_154424481258890_1298_n.jpg

And while we're at it, Farhi could buy the entire City of London and every property in it and run it as a private company. None of us would own land; we would lease our houses, businesses, and farms from Farhi.

(shudder)

MrSlippery519
Feb 1, 2012, 8:40 PM
And while we're at it, Farhi could buy the entire City of London and every property in it and run it as a private company. None of us would own land; we would lease our houses, businesses, and farms from Farhi.

(shudder)

And we would all be required to have a picture of Farhi in our living rooms lol.

K85
Feb 1, 2012, 10:01 PM
In soviet London, Farhi owns you!

Symz
Feb 2, 2012, 1:56 AM
Farhi started to invade Windsor, but I think he's got his hands too tied up in London. Whether or not that's a good thing for us I don't know, but based on how much you guys love him I would assume so.

manny_santos
Feb 2, 2012, 2:03 AM
And we would all be required to have a picture of Farhi in our living rooms lol.

Churches throughout the city would all be converted to a single religion: The Church of Farhi. Worshippers would face in the direction of the Farhi building on Dufferin Ave, and Stobie's Pizza would be served instead of Communion.

And of course, each church would have a Farhi banner outside.

MolsonExport
Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 PM
from near and farhi, his kingdom stretched onwards

MolsonExport
Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 PM
By the way, that building (along Richmond) featuring Farhi is almost as ugly as the courthouse.

londoner_abroad
Feb 6, 2012, 3:57 PM
Anyone been by the Wortley village development lately?? at Wortley and Bruce? hows is it progressing? any pictures?

K85
Feb 6, 2012, 5:04 PM
It's up to the second floor, still all wood work so far. nothing else, little red roaster is gonna be a tenant in there. I'll take a pic next time im in the area which should be soon.

bolognium
Feb 24, 2012, 2:25 AM
King Wah on York is in the process of being torn down. A company called Total Demolition already has half the building ripped apart.

Does this mean the York proposal is going forward?

sparky212
Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/PDFs/Urban_Design_Brief_89_York_St_2010_11_17.pdf

Simpseatles
Mar 3, 2012, 5:43 PM
86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/PDFs/Urban_Design_Brief_89_York_St_2010_11_17.pdf

Looks nice! Certainly better than what's currently there. York Street could really use an improvement, so it's great to see even little developments like this. I really hope that the Ren II store frontage turns out well also, because I'm not liking the podium so far.

MolsonExport
Mar 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
Most def a big improvement.

bolognium
Mar 5, 2012, 12:47 AM
I'd imagine by the end of the week King Wah will be completely demolished. Here's 89 York as it stands today:

http://i.imgur.com/tZzgH.jpg

londoner_abroad
Mar 13, 2012, 7:08 PM
Just noticed that the UDPRP website has new projects going to the Urban Design Peer Review Panel this month:

- Proposed Medium/High density development by Tricar (160 Sunningdale Rd West - Basically a few properties West of Richmond on the South side of Sunningdale) - Looks like they are proposing 2 new towers along Sunningdale which are 18 storeys tall with a 2 storey podium linking them. One midsize building along the street going into the neighbourhood with a portion of 2 storey podium along Sunningdale. And 3 storey towns on the south side of the block. Looks like an exciting project, not many architectural details are revealed other then the massing in a sketchUp drawing.

- Proposed specialized memory care facility focusing exclusively on Alzheimer’s, dementia and related memory issues afflicting our aging seniors (120 Chelton Rd - Southwest corner of Commissioners and Chelton on the edge of the Summerside Subdivision. Nothing too special from an urban design point of view.. It seems like a pretty specialized building with specific requirements for design and safety.

- Proposal for 5 storey apartment building (3535 Settlement Trail - Well within the Talbot Village Neighbourhood in Southwest London) I feel as though this building could be much better designed as it is at the terminus point for the street that will be eventually built from Bostwick Rd into this subdivision. I believe the original plans for this street called for it to act as a Wortley Village with a mix of uses, I wonder if that will still happen.. Any case on this particular application I think they could have framed the street better with the building and hid the parking in the back that way creating a better view terminus as for the future as the development builds out.

Anyway if anyone wants to check out the briefs with renderings go to:
http://london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Planning_and_Development/Land_Use_Planning/Urban_Design/Peermar21_12.htm

Simpseatles
Mar 13, 2012, 8:26 PM
^Thanks for the information. Sounds like some interesting stuff. Too bad it's all for the outskirts though.

Chadillaccc
Mar 14, 2012, 6:18 AM
Renaissance 2 under construction in London - 93 meters tall
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6819685646_8de06bf7db_z.jpg

Crown on King I in London - 72 meters tall
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6965805997_580d5ac33f_z.jpg

Source: me

What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?

haljackey
Mar 14, 2012, 5:04 PM
Nice photos!

What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?

In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space. :P

manny_santos
Mar 14, 2012, 8:28 PM
Nice photos!

In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space. :P

Yeah...if I had a company in London I wouldn't want it associated with the Bell building. Nothing against Bell, but that is one fugly building.

bolognium
Apr 13, 2012, 1:46 AM
I noticed the buildings to the west of me have some renderings posted. Dunno what the likelihood of this actually happening is, but it seems fairly interesting. We should see some activity happening soon if the timeline is still June 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/VkTuR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/35AXk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iv2q9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xh8g9.jpg

londoner_abroad
Apr 20, 2012, 8:35 PM
Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:

Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS

"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."

north 42
Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 PM
Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:

Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS

"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."
What a coupe for London, Downtown retail is so hard to attract in small and medium sized cities. Hopefully your downtown continues to bring in new retailers.

go_leafs_go02
Apr 20, 2012, 8:50 PM
That's pretty sweet, retail such as that I figured would end up at Masonville or White Oaks.

FazDeH
Apr 20, 2012, 9:33 PM
^^That's very cool news, I know that there will be a new bar going in just down the street from there, so that block is about to get a face lift.

K85
Apr 21, 2012, 2:25 PM
Not a fan of the chain, but damn... This single investment and CHOICE of where it's going has converted me!!! I'm stoked to see some support for downtown like this.

MolsonExport
Apr 21, 2012, 9:23 PM
Good stuff on decent retail coming downtown. Wish the Apple Store was downtown rather than Masonicville.

Wharn
Apr 23, 2012, 3:47 PM
Good stuff on decent retail coming downtown. Wish the Apple Store was downtown rather than Masonicville.

Me too. But unfortunately downtown probably wasn't "hip" enough, either that or Apple lurked this board and found out wealthy Londoners (and students) were incredibly lazy and preferred to drive to a mall instead of parking and walking around downtown.

That_Chris
Apr 23, 2012, 5:40 PM
And just like that, Richmond and Oxford goes from the largely vacant, ignored tail end of Richmond row to a successful urban entrance to London's core. It'll be pretty awesome to see this section of Richmond Row's north go in to overdrive at the exact same time as Renaissance II and Fanshawe inject their respective areas with new life. Combine this with the Old East development and this seems like it'll be one of downtown's best years for improvement.

P.S. Is the Dundas road work a straight up resurfacing? or are there any improvements (ala sidewalk,crossing work) involved?

haljackey
Apr 23, 2012, 7:34 PM
With the demise of Blockbuster, Oxford and Richmond was pretty gloomy.

Dundas is getting a resurfacing this year and a complete makeover to the streetscape in 3 years. That will include tearing up the asphalt.

So it's pretty controversial why Dundas is being paved this year only to have it torn up in 3 years. The asphalt only has 2 years of usable life left according to the city.

So why can't a comprimise be reached? Move the streetscape makeover project a year or two ahead of schedule and use the money from this resurfacing project to finance it. Why they haven't done something like this is odd and in my opinion petty politics.

MolsonExport
Apr 24, 2012, 2:17 AM
Why is Sarnia/Western Road once again closing lanes? Three goddamned years in a row!

haljackey
Apr 24, 2012, 4:11 PM
Why is Sarnia/Western Road once again closing lanes? Three goddamned years in a row!

This is why: http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Road_Construction/Letters/ts1-4.htm

That intersection sucks. I would vouch for a Vegas-style pedestrian bridge to rid it of all those students who don't follow the crossing signs and endanger themselves and others.

MolsonExport
Apr 26, 2012, 3:29 PM
why the hell didn't they do this last year when they choked traffic for the better part of a year at that intersection? Nitwits. I just don't understand how it could be cheaper/more efficient/better, etc. to separate across years.

manny_santos
Apr 27, 2012, 3:30 AM
why the hell didn't they do this last year when they choked traffic for the better part of a year at that intersection? Nitwits. I just don't understand how it could be cheaper/more efficient/better, etc. to separate across years.

And while they're at it, why aren't they doing something about that right-turn lane that you're often complaining about? I remember that causing massive backups during rush hour when I was at Western.

MolsonExport
Apr 27, 2012, 1:49 PM
^yep, and as I said in other posts, my car was rear-ended TWICE at that intersection (in a two-week stretch, when my car was less than a month old).

From 4-545pm, The Brescia/Springett road is a parking lot. Green lights hold up traffic due to endless stream of buses and pedestrians crossing Western Road. Western road southbound is a parking lot. cars waiting endlessly to turn off onto Sarnia...held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and pedestrians crossing Sarnia Road. Sarnia road westbound is a parking lot. held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and/or somebody trying to make a left-hand turn (due to ASININE bottle neck where road narrows). Then there is trying to turn southbound on unWonderbread road from sarnia. This whole part of town is the shit for traffic flow, but planners instead think about extending Veterans (where absolutely nobody lives) southbound from 401, and Wonderland Rd interchange at 401 (ditto).

UWO is practically what holds the economy of London afloat.

https://zenspurplegarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mad-as-hell.jpg

On a side note, I am getting rather sick of the endless construction at the school of the 1%. They got a fireplace inside. Really. Here in Social Science, our bathroom has been out of order FOR TWO YEARS.

Symz
May 2, 2012, 9:57 PM
^yep, and as I said in other posts, my car was rear-ended TWICE at that intersection (in a two-week stretch, when my car was less than a month old).

From 4-545pm, The Brescia/Springett road is a parking lot. Green lights hold up traffic due to endless stream of buses and pedestrians crossing Western Road. Western road southbound is a parking lot. cars waiting endlessly to turn off onto Sarnia...held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and pedestrians crossing Sarnia Road. Sarnia road westbound is a parking lot. held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and/or somebody trying to make a left-hand turn (due to ASININE bottle neck where road narrows). Then there is trying to turn southbound on unWonderbread road from sarnia. This whole part of town is the shit for traffic flow, but planners instead think about extending Veterans (where absolutely nobody lives) southbound from 401, and Wonderland Rd interchange at 401 (ditto).

I've heard from people personally that getting around in London is terrible, and I almost have a hard time believing it but based on what I read here I'm starting to believe it's true.

FazDeH
May 3, 2012, 4:09 AM
^^The construction downtown caused a 20 minute delay for me today,.. and the construction near western campus, was equally frustrating earlier in the week.
On a more positive note, Resevior hill development has finally been given the green light by city council, though I doubt that the protests at springbank and commissioners will stop anytime soon, making traffic in the area even better...

Simpseatles
May 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
On a more positive note, Resevior hill development has finally been given the green light by city council, though I doubt that the protests at springbank and commissioners will stop anytime soon, making traffic in the area even better...

On a positive note!? Are you kidding me? The Reservoir Hill Development is absolutley horrible. I am very upset that this development got the go-ahead, and I'm not just some NIMBY or something. It's simply yet another fugly grey suburban apartment building that's being built atop a lovely forested lot. Why there, when empty lots abound in and around the downtown core, just begging for redevelopment?
:(

FazDeH
May 5, 2012, 3:19 AM
On a positive note!? Are you kidding me? The Reservoir Hill Development is absolutley horrible. I am very upset that this development got the go-ahead, and I'm not just some NIMBY or something. It's simply yet another fugly grey suburban apartment building that's being built atop a lovely forested lot. Why there, when empty lots abound in and around the downtown core, just begging for redevelopment?
:(

Don't get me wrong, the idea of more communist style construction in the city is deplorable; that being said any development that isn't single family homes, is generally not something to frown upon in my books.
The city green lighting that specific location isn't thrilling, but that someone want's to build in London is. I do wish that a land swap would be considered, I know it's been discussed, but the sad financial reality is that the land at commissioners and springbank isn't monetarily worth jack compared to the land downtown, even if it is being completely underutilized. It's the sad reality of capitalism and urban renewal. Someday those spaces downtown will be filled however, that isn't today.
I feel caught between the proverbial rock and hard place, do I enjoy the tree lined drive downtown everyday? Yes, and do I think a building there would add anything to the space no.. do I on the other hand feel that any large multi family development in the city is a good thing regardless if it's on the fringes in country side or a fantastic in fill project downtown? Yes. I don't know. perhaps you're right I spoke to rashly.

Simpseatles
May 5, 2012, 1:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, the idea of more communist style construction in the city is deplorable; that being said any development that isn't single family homes, is generally not something to frown upon in my books.
The city green lighting that specific location isn't thrilling, but that someone want's to build in London is. I do wish that a land swap would be considered, I know it's been discussed, but the sad financial reality is that the land at commissioners and springbank isn't monetarily worth jack compared to the land downtown, even if it is being completely underutilized. It's the sad reality of capitalism and urban renewal. Someday those spaces downtown will be filled however, that isn't today.
I feel caught between the proverbial rock and hard place, do I enjoy the tree lined drive downtown everyday? Yes, and do I think a building there would add anything to the space no.. do I on the other hand feel that any large multi family development in the city is a good thing regardless if it's on the fringes in country side or a fantastic in fill project downtown? Yes. I don't know. perhaps you're right I spoke to rashly.

Fair enough, I see what you mean now. While it is nice to see multi-family developments in the suburbs, I'm still unsure about their effectiveness. Many of these developments tend to feel cold, isolated and car-oriented. I don't know about this for sure, but this is just the perception that I get from these types of apartments. Idealy, I would love to see more rowhouse sytle, lowrise, pedestirian oriented infill being built in the suburbs (think Nuvo Condos). Unless the area is a major commercial/transit node, I think that highrises should be left for the core.

FazDeH
May 5, 2012, 2:27 PM
^^ I agree with that completely, developers however have their own ideas, it's all about the bottom line. Medium density is more expensive per square foot to develop than a 12 story apartment building like the ones we have all over the city, especially when they're just reusing blue prints they have in the back storage closet.

BIGGUY2891
Jun 1, 2012, 12:54 PM
I noticed that the location at 625 First Street across from Fanshawe is finally demolishing the vacant houses on that lot. Maybe they are going to proceed with the high rise that was planned for that property.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=625+First+Street&hl=en&ll=43.011049,-81.198052&spn=0.005397,0.009484&hnear=625+First+St,+London,+Middlesex+County,+Ontario+N5V+2A2&gl=ca&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=43.010948,-81.200094&panoid=RbHCisz95gPcmrjsNVm23w&cbp=12,201.59,,0,6.05

BIGGUY2891
Jun 5, 2012, 3:42 AM
Looks like Tricar will be building something on the lot at 96 Ridout St. They finished tearing down the Trafalgar Terrace retirement home about a month ago and a Tricar sign went up on the empty lot this week.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8766/img20120508202647.jpg
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8453/img20120509114712.jpg
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8272/img20120604130847.jpg

bolognium
Jun 5, 2012, 5:24 AM
Say, that's pretty cool. There's a nice cluster of apartments on that section of Ridout, so whatever Tricar builds should fit in fairly well. My money's on them building something like that mid-rise at Wellington and Pall Mall.

Here's a couple pictures of the development on Wharncliffe. I do miss the row of houses that was originally there, but this isn't half bad.

http://i.imgur.com/hVY8d.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ga6UM.jpg

Wharn
Jun 5, 2012, 3:00 PM
Here's a couple pictures of the development on Wharncliffe. I do miss the row of houses that was originally there, but this isn't half bad.

http://i.imgur.com/hVY8d.jpg

I personally don't find these very appealing at all. They're just another carbon copy of other redbricks around the Western campus, whereas the original houses had charm and character. Even though they were low-density, I think they made the street more livable:

http://i.imgur.com/Xb9Ko.jpg

Very sorry I couldn't get my own shot of these before they were taken down.

bolognium
Jun 18, 2012, 3:37 AM
Trust me, I totally agree with you. I preferred the houses as well. The reason the Wharncliffe development isn't super difficult for me to swallow is because it's actually a development.

Unfortunately a very similar thing is happening on Rectory right now, but these houses are being leveled for more surface parking. The Western Fair wants to demolish all the houses at the corner of Rectory and King to create another lot. The owner of one house has refused to sell, so the Western Fair has just been sitting on their properties allowing the houses to deteriorate. There'll be a public meeting held tomorrow. (http://sire.london.ca/cache/2/weaitt55a1u2ko55z0bruxqb/4970006172012103516139.PDF)

These are the houses:

http://i.imgur.com/UZdE5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nL2G7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4fDuY.jpg

The skinny yellow-brick on the left has already been demolished:

http://i.imgur.com/pRdcC.jpg

Project-79
Jun 19, 2012, 3:32 PM
Hi,

I moved to London a couple months ago and just recently stumbled upon this website. The info that fellow forumers have posted on this forum has been fascinating to say the least! Since I have no insider info, I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to a couple questions about London developments:

At Wonderland/Southdale, I read in here that an Arby’s was planned. Were these plans canceled?
At the northeast corner of Fanshawe/Hyde Park behind Lowe’s (previously Sam’s Club), there is any empty fields with some roads. I found a map of what was to be added, but have these plans be canceled too? It looks pretty bad over there behind the Boston Pizza.
Construction at another power centre I believe is starting at Highbury/Fanshawe (northwest corner). I read that a Great Canadian SuperStore is proposed on the land. Does anyone have any more info any this developments?
As well, there are a couple of empty lots that I’m curious if people know what is being built:

big black building that was demolished just north of Wharncliffe/Commissioners (old Tepperman’s i believe)
empty lot at Fanshawe/Adelaide beside the Tim Hortons
At Western/Sarnia, the Mac’s was demolished.

They’re mostly big box related, which I understand most of you are against.

Personally, I have no insider info to share, but I do have some info I’ve seen around town that no one has mentioned:

The Applebee’s has closed at White Oaks. It will be replaced by Maurice's.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/7401982130_e99fa08970_c.jpg

Five Guys and Menchie’s is opening just north of White Oaks (in front of Chapters). The Five Guys’ opening date is this Thursday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7401981288_4b982ed988_c.jpg