PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK | Bank Of America Tower | 1,200' Pinnacle / 945' Roof | 53 FLOORS

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Fabb
Aug 8, 2004, 8:44 AM
The "wind turbine spire" is a new thing.
What's its purpose ?

CoolCzech
Aug 8, 2004, 5:29 PM
The "wind turbine spire" is a new thing.
What's its purpose ?

Uh, to support wind turbines? It's called electricity...

I and a few others have speculated how the FT might influence towers in the future; I think in the case of 1 Bryant Park the future is NOW...

Fabb
Aug 8, 2004, 7:23 PM
How much power will this appendage generate ?
I'm skeptical.

FerrariEnzo
Aug 8, 2004, 8:33 PM
Might not be alot but enough to save some money.

Fabb
Aug 8, 2004, 8:51 PM
... or to feel good about it.
I wonder if it'll depend on the wind conditions.

knarfor
Aug 8, 2004, 9:11 PM
They probably won't use the power generated by that turbine to power the whole building. Most likely it will be used to power the air conditioning, or elevators, or some specific system(s).

edit: I reread the article I posted, they mention this:

"It also will include a state-of-the-art onsite 4.6-megawatt cogeneration plant, providing a clean, efficient power source for the building's energy requirements."

They say nothing about the turbine.

Islander
Aug 8, 2004, 10:39 PM
Even if it's just one turbine, it's one more reason the developers can call it one of the greenest buildings in the world. It already does a number of green functions, why not add another to the list by having a very enviro-friendly wind turbine generate some extra electricity?

JACKinBeantown
Aug 8, 2004, 11:00 PM
I'm all for that.

alejandro
Aug 9, 2004, 12:15 AM
Hope to see this building soon, it's really beautifull, almost as tall asl the ESB, and taller than the Chrysler Building.

:D :rock: :D

FerrariEnzo
Aug 9, 2004, 1:16 AM
Quote:I wonder if it'll depend on the wind conditions.

Certainly not.

Fabb
Aug 9, 2004, 8:03 AM
I reread the article I posted, they mention this:

"It also will include a state-of-the-art onsite 4.6-megawatt cogeneration plant, providing a clean, efficient power source for the building's energy requirements."

They say nothing about the turbine.

4.6 megawatt is huge.
Isn't it a typo ?

Well, in any case, I'd like to know more about the wind turbine.

knarfor
Aug 9, 2004, 2:04 PM
I don't think it is. I just looked around. The Durst website, in an older article - says that the cogeneration plant is 5.1-Megawatts. I guess they downgraded it, but it is still huge.

They also have no mention of the turbine there either.

STERNyc
Aug 9, 2004, 2:10 PM
Since the turbine does reach 960 feet, I wonder if the structural height will in fact be 960 feet as was previous thought, and not 945 feet as it is now.

JACKinBeantown
Aug 9, 2004, 4:43 PM
The whole structural/roof/spire/antenna height thing is becoming meaningless. Nobody agrees on which to use and most new buildings have so many things sticking up above the roof that it doesn't really matter anymore.

This one has a roof: 820 feet
- a glass wall: 944.5 feet
- a turbine: 960 feet
- a spire/antenna: 1200 feet.

Does this mean this building has four heights?

High Pointer
Aug 9, 2004, 7:40 PM
Does this mean this building has four heights?
Apparently. It will be interesting to see how this one is measured...

lakegz
Aug 10, 2004, 8:39 AM
i am very curious about this turbine thingy.

CoolCzech
Aug 13, 2004, 12:17 PM
I wonder if the turbine design of the BoFA might not be a sneak preview of the ones to be placed on the FT....

TalB
Aug 13, 2004, 12:21 PM
I just hope that it won't be anything like that. :no:

CoolCzech
Aug 13, 2004, 2:21 PM
Like what?

Matace
Aug 13, 2004, 10:46 PM
Good news about the wind turbine on the top, i'm all for green energy.

Does anyone have recent pics of the site?

TalB
Aug 14, 2004, 7:24 PM
Like what?
You should know what I mean by saying that.

lakegz
Aug 14, 2004, 7:35 PM
we need pics NYers....PICS!!!!! be good forumers and take a pic. :)

FerrariEnzo
Aug 14, 2004, 7:47 PM
I think Ill do a mega thread of NYC during the convention. Should be fun seeing all the riots.

Matace
Aug 14, 2004, 9:17 PM
^:haha:

But seriously now dude, take a pic.

CoolCzech
Aug 15, 2004, 2:52 AM
Like what?
You should know what I mean by saying that.

I was really hoping you would surprise me.

Does anyone know what firm has been tapped to provide the turbine?

STERNyc
Aug 22, 2004, 2:42 AM
Borrowed from this fine thread:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=880673#post880673

http://t101.000k.net/esb/albums/esbpics/ESB%20%2850%29.jpg

You can see the site being cleared in preperation for One Bryant Park

Chad
Aug 22, 2004, 2:50 PM
GREAT NEWS !!!

Matace
Aug 22, 2004, 5:15 PM
I thought they might have been excavating by now, never mind, they will soon enough.

STERNyc
Aug 23, 2004, 1:18 AM
Anyone else see a similarity?

http://www.londonbridgetower.com/images/gallery/pic7.jpg

Gulcrapek
Aug 23, 2004, 2:01 AM
Not much of one.

Islander
Aug 23, 2004, 2:32 AM
Yup, both BOA and London Bridge tower are angular, taper, have a glassy facade, and crowns made of transparent screens. Still, the LBT actually looks a lot more like FT than BOA IMO. A brand new architectural style is in the making, no doubt....

STERNyc
Aug 23, 2004, 2:38 AM
And we all know that you just eat them up' Islander.

NYguy
Aug 24, 2004, 11:48 AM
NY Post...

DURST LOOKS TO BREAK $100 PER SQUARE FOOT

By STEVE CUOZZO

August 24, 2004 -- DOUGLAS Durst hopes to score the highest rents ever for a jumbo-size block of Manhattan office space: $100 per square foot for 1 million square feet at One Bryant Park, the 51-story skyscraper he is developing at Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street.

"Our rents will have a 1 in front of them," Durst says yesterday of the environmentally-friendly tower.

Durst, who's partnering with Bank of America, shared the C-note shocker when I asked him if he expected his asking rents to be competitive with those in Bruce Ratner's New York Times headquarters tower on Eighth Avenue, which is likely to be finished around the same time in 2006-7.

Ratner will probably be seeking in the $70s per foot, according to his leasing agent, CB Richard Ellis regional CEO Mary Ann Tighe.

Durst also said he did not regard any of the other new towers to be competitive with One Bryant Park.

"We will have the most environmentally responsible and intelligent building ever built. And the most desirable location in the city," he says.

Tighe sounds impressed but not altogether surprised by Durst's $100-a-foot ambition. "Douglas always knows where the market is headed," she says. "I have not known him to be wrong in 20 years."

Midtown rents in Class-A buildings typically run in the $40s-$60s. A handful of addresses with exceptional floor plates and views, such as 9 West 57th Street and the GM Building, have higher "asks," and smaller spaces on top floors at GM have gone for up to $130 a foot.

But no one has ever asked $100 or more a foot for a block anything like the size of the one at Durst's tower, where Bank of America will be the anchor tenant with 1.1 million feet on the lower floors.

One Bryant Park is one of five new buildings under construction in Manhattan with a total of 4.3 million square feet of office space up for grabs.

The biggest chunk is 1.6 million square feet at Larry Silverstein's fast-rising new 7 World Trade Center. The Times tower has 700,000 square feet available (on top of the Times Co., which will occupy the bottom half) and Dr. Axel Stawski's "boutique" building at 505 Fifth Ave. at 42nd Street has about 300,000 more.

In addition, Harry and Billy Macklowe's reclad and redesigned 340 Madison Ave., with 700,000 square feet, had emptied itself of old tenants and was thus "completely speculative," says Mitchell Konsker of the project's Cushman & Wakefield marketing team. Some 600,000 feet remain to be spoken for, although Konsker says leases are out for about 200,000.

Brokers are quick to say that 4.3 million feet are a tiny fraction of Manhattan's inventory of over 400 million. Far from thinking the new space is a threat, Tighe says it isn't enough. "I don't think we have remotely enough space coming to market in Midtown to serve demand" in an environment that has seen 9.6 million feet leased to date this year — a pace that would, if it continues, top 2000's Midtown record of 19 million feet by the end of the year.

Joe Harbert, newly arrived at Cushman & Wakefield as metro region COO, said, "I'm very optimistic for all of them." "The Times tower, for example, will be a gorgeous building. By the time they're finished the Times and One Bryant Park might be the only game [for new space] in Midtown."

Jones Lang LaSalle president Peter Riguardi, who represented B of A in its negotiations with Durst, notes, "There are different delivery dates for these buildings. The Times and B of A are a few years down the road."

FerrariEnzo
Aug 24, 2004, 1:25 PM
quote:Far from thinking the new space is a threat, Tighe says it isn't enough. "I don't think we have remotely enough space coming to market in Midtown to serve demand"

mmmmm

Fabb
Aug 24, 2004, 3:31 PM
But until recently, the vacancy rate in Manhattan was pretty high.

Matace
Aug 24, 2004, 4:35 PM
MMMMMMMMMM! Westside here we come!

NYguy
Aug 24, 2004, 10:25 PM
But until recently, the vacancy rate in Manhattan was pretty high.

You have to realize though, that these things run in cycles in Manhattan. Just a few years ago, there was hardly any space in Manhattan. And that was with the WTC.

NYguy
Aug 24, 2004, 10:29 PM
MMMMMMMMMM! Westside here we come!

Even the 40 msf (WTC and Westside) they plan to add over the next 30 years doesn't seem like a lot...

Brokers are quick to say that 4.3 million feet are a tiny fraction of Manhattan's inventory of over 400 million.

CoolCzech
Aug 24, 2004, 11:51 PM
So that means work on all 5 WTC towers should begin by next year, right?;)

Considering that the BoFA will apparantly demand record-high square footage rental rates, I fail to see why Silverstein should have such a hard time finding occupants for his towers.

carfreak01
Aug 25, 2004, 4:00 AM
^Seriously. He obviously watches market patterns closely, much moreso than us armchair developers, so what is the reason he's holding back? The fact that there will be demand, and plenty of it, is staring him in the face.

NYguy
Aug 25, 2004, 12:29 PM
NY Times...

Environmentally Conscious Development

By BARNABY J. FEDER
August 25, 2004

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/25/business/25prop.green.jpg

A rendering of One Bryant Park, which will be built largely from recycled and recyclable materials.

Olympic athletes may dream of gold, but for developers of environmentally sound buildings there is an even higher level of achievement - platinum, the best mark a building can receive under a four-tier system developed by the United States Green Building Council, a nonprofit industry group.

So far, only a handful of platinum-certified buildings have been built, or even planned, so advocates of "green" building were thrilled when the Durst Organization and the Bank of America broke ground earlier this month on One Bryant Park, along Avenue of the Americas from 42nd Street to 43rd Street, a 52-story skyscraper that aims to be the first high-rise office building to achieve such a rating.

The bank's new headquarters will open in 2008 and will showcase how clever design and technology can reduce pollution and operating costs while enhancing the health and productivity of occupants. And the project is already focusing more attention on the rapidly expanding influence of a group of green building standards known as LEED, for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

The Green Building Council, which was founded in 1993, received early financial support from the Department of Energy. Since the standards were published in 2000, a small but growing number of federal agencies, states and local governments have been incorporating them in laws and regulations governing the construction of new public buildings. Some have also given financial incentives or fast-track permits to private developers who use LEED.

"You can't overestimate the impact of the LEED standard in taking a lot of the emotive opposition to green building away," said Robert B. Krasa, president and chief executive of Haworth Inc., an office furnishings company that is a member of the Green Building Council. "Now we have a credible way of saying what green means."

Unlike traditional industrial standards, which specify things like which radio frequency a wireless communications product can use or how large electrical outlets should be, LEED is like a Chinese restaurant menu of environmentally friendly goals. Its standards are divided into categories including energy efficiency, water conservation, and use of recycled and recyclable materials.

Credits can also be accumulated for using paints and carpets that reduce chemical emissions and for designs that maximize the amount of natural light and outdoor views available to workers. Especially innovative designs, construction practices and maintenance plans can qualify for extra credits.

LEED certification, including the level a building achieves, is based on an independent review by an auditor accredited by the Green Building Council. "Before LEED, anybody could call anything they wanted to green, and that was exactly what was happening," said Robert K. Watson, a green building expert in the Washington office of the Natural Resources Defense Council, one of several environmental groups that have joined the Green Building Council. "There was a lot of snake oil being sold."

Even the most enthusiastic supporters concede that platinum-rated LEED structures are more expensive than a typical commercial or institutional building of the same size. One Bryant Park, for instance, is a $1 billion project that included several unusual expenses like an electricity generating station, which is to meet most normal electrical needs. In addition, heat generated by the $10 million, 4.6-megawatt power plant will be used to make ice at night to help air-condition the building.

The building will also capture and reuse all rainwater and wastewater and will be built largely from recycled and recyclable materials. It will make extensive use of lighting and dimming systems that reduce electrical light levels when daylight is available. Another energy-saving and air-quality feature is a system that ventilates the building by delivering air from an under-floor system instead of using overhead ducts.

The additional investment to achieve platinum status averages from 6 percent to 7 percent of total building costs, according to estimates from the Green Building Council. But the same research is showing that less-ambitious LEED-certified buildings can be completed at no additional cost or, in some cases, at lower cost than standard construction once designers and construction firms gain experience with the green building materials and construction processes.

S. Richard Fedrizzi, president and chief executive of the Green Building Council, which is based in Washington, maintains that green investments pay for themselves over time, often in energy savings alone, and produce such large health and productivity benefits that building any other way is embarrassing.

The latest evidence, according to Mr. Fedrizzi and others, comes from a study that the State of California commissioned last year to evaluate 33 LEED-certified buildings. It concluded that they cost an average of $4 more a square foot, but that over a 20-year period they would generate savings of $48.87 a square foot (in current dollars) for standard- and silver-certified buildings, and $67.31 for gold- and platinum-certified buildings.

More than 75 percent of the projected benefits were attributed to reduced absenteeism, higher productivity, lower turnover and other human factors, said Gregory H. Kats, the principal author of the study. Mr. Kats, a former Department of Energy official, runs Capital E, a consulting firm in Washington.

The report based such conclusions on the results of unrelated studies of the impact of features like natural lighting and local temperature controls on students and office workers rather than on any preliminary data from the new California buildings.

The first full-fledged LEED rating system for new construction was published in 2000. That same year the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Philip Merrill Environmental Center in Annapolis, Md., became the first platinum-certified building.

The Godrej Green Building Center, an exhibition and training center for environmental businesses, in Hyderabad, India, holds the highest LEED rating of any platinum building, but experts say that several buildings in Europe may be just as advanced. "Europe is 30 years ahead of us in green building," said Mr. Krasa, the office furnishings executive.

Green building experts say that although as much as 20 percent of the government and institutional building market is being built to LEED standards, the corresponding number for commercial construction is less than 5 percent.

The biggest hurdle has been that the initial LEED standards are tailored to buildings occupied by their owners or occupied primarily by a single major tenant - the Bank of America, for instance, will be the main occupant at One Bryant Park. That situation makes it easier to integrate design and construction, and means that owners are more likely to take a longer-term perspective on their investment.

Last fall, the Green Building Council sought to make LEED methods more appealing for commercial buildings by publishing two sets of proposed standards. Under the first, called LEED Core and Shell, speculative developers could seek LEED certification for the basic interior and exterior structural elements of their buildings. The second, LEED Commercial Interior, would apply to work done to finish such buildings once tenants were attracted. The pilot version of the core and shell standard is guiding construction of the 52-story building going up on the site of what used to be 7 World Trade Center, which is scheduled to open at the end of 2005.

"We expect to be the first LEED-certified office building in New York," said Janno Lieber, World Trade Center project director for the Silverstein organization, which is redeveloping the site. "We're not sure what level we'll get."

Seven World Trade Center may have to share bragging rights with the Hearst Building at Eighth Avenue and 56th Street, which would become the first LEED-certified skyscraper under the whole-building standards, if it is completed as planned in June 2006.

The Green Building Council estimates that the amount of building space addressed by the new core and shell standards is 16 times larger than the owner-occupant market. And next year the council expects to publish proposed standards for existing commercial and institutional buildings - a universe 80 times larger than the prime market for the original standards. LEED standards for residential homes and entire communities are also being developed.

Experts expect the standards to go through substantial revisions as technology improves and the full impact of building practices on the environment becomes better understood.

"We think we know buildings because they are all around us, but they are enormously complicated," Mr. Watson said. "We know shockingly little about how they behave."

CoolCzech
Aug 25, 2004, 12:57 PM
^But are companies really going to pay a premium for space at the BoFA building just because it'll help "save the planet"???

What are they going to do, hold campouts up on the obs deck and sing "Kumbaya" to celebrate how they helped save the environment of mid-town MANHATTAN, for Pete's Sake?!

Matace
Aug 25, 2004, 5:19 PM
Green technology in building is extrememly important. I think that NY has restated itself as a top class city by implementing the strictest green standards of any city in the USA. I applaud buildings such as BofA, Hearst, and the new WTC complex for their green credentials. I am postitive that in the comming years the percentage of LEED buildings will outweigh regular ones.

CoolCzech
Aug 27, 2004, 6:31 PM
I'm not questioning the value of "green" buildings as a social and environmental good... my point is that corporate America, on balance, would let its own grandma live in a radon and tobacco smoke-filled tunnel if it would save them a buck - and don't think they wouldn't, unless PR became a problem.

So I ask again - just how much more money will a company spend, just for the sole point of helping the environment? Will they really pay record prices for room at the BoFA, just because it's the "right thing to do"?

Matace
Aug 27, 2004, 10:29 PM
Actually i wasn't replying to your post, i was just letting some of my enthusiasm for green technology show itself (as i have many times before). But you are right of course about most corporations not giving a toss about the environment when it's balanced against hard cash. The only thing that will shift most of their opinions are things such as tax incentives etc.

TalB
Aug 28, 2004, 4:14 PM
Here is a pic from SSC from savethewtc that shows the what the site looks likes as of 8/26.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/photopost/data/3184/24042004_0826Image0034.JPG
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/photopost/data/3184/24042004_0826Image0036.JPG

lakegz
Aug 29, 2004, 12:43 AM
damn, its weird to see that area with such a huge vacant gap like that.

carfreak01
Aug 29, 2004, 4:50 AM
They still have that huge (well, sort of) building left to demolish in the corner? Why didn't they do it all at once?

Because.........we're impatient! :hyper:

TalB
Aug 29, 2004, 5:11 PM
Which building were you reffering to in that corner?

Matace
Aug 29, 2004, 5:28 PM
Nice one Tal, the great dig begineth.

STERNyc
Aug 29, 2004, 11:24 PM
They still have that huge (well, sort of) building left to demolish in the corner? Why didn't they do it all at once?

Because.........we're impatient!

The last remaining vestigial structure (I don't know if that applies, but it's an uncharacteristic nerdy joke nevertheless) is the Henry Miller Theatre that will be taken down in meticulous fashion and preserved to be incorporated in the new structure. Meanwhile excavation continue around the site.

TalB
Aug 30, 2004, 2:01 PM
Apparently, they are still making the foundation for it as of now.

Lecom
Aug 31, 2004, 3:48 AM
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/photopost/data/3184/24042004_0826Image0034.JPG
Will that soot-covered brick building with the water tower thing on top remain there?

JACKinBeantown
Aug 31, 2004, 4:01 AM
Thye're still digging for the foundation and they have a long way to go.

TalB
Aug 31, 2004, 7:01 PM
That process usually takes the longest.

NYguy
Sep 8, 2004, 12:27 AM
They have been running skyscraper programs on the History Channel for the past couple of days, sort of a skyscraper marathon. Anyway, at the end of one of the programs (the CalTran project) the architects of the BOA talked about their project. I captured these rough shots:

The tower as viewed from different angles

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33557956/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558045/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558049/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558088/large.jpg

The architects and their building

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558201/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558203/medium.jpg

There will be two masts at the top of the building. The shorter mast will serve as a vertical wind turbine...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558208/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558326/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33557956/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558088/medium.jpg

STERNyc
Sep 23, 2004, 4:11 PM
The sites large construction driveway:

http://www.pbase.com/image/34153875

Excavation underway:

http://www.pbase.com/image/34154122

Renovation continues at the Henry Miller Theatre:

http://www.pbase.com/image/34158434

JACKinBeantown
Sep 23, 2004, 5:32 PM
That's quite a scaffold on the Henry Miller Theater.

NYguy
Sep 23, 2004, 7:02 PM
That's a huge site. It seems like only yesterday we were waiting for that McDonalds to close, and demolition to begin. Now we're at full speed construction. What's great about this tower and most NY towers that are under construction, is the way they fit into the existing city and street grid. It's as if skyscrapers were meant to rise in Manhattan, and can or will pop up at any time. No big, boxy parking structures or shopping malls blocking the sidewalks. Just the skyscrapers, up close and personal...

Fabb
Sep 23, 2004, 7:55 PM
That's especially true of this location, just perfect for such a building.

lakegz
Sep 24, 2004, 1:09 AM
full speed construction......now THAT's what I like to hear.

Matace
Sep 24, 2004, 11:58 AM
^Hell yeah!

Nice pictures NYguy, i like this building even more with every new angle i see it from.

TalB
Oct 12, 2004, 7:04 PM
Some recent pics taken by Patrick Highrise from SSC.

http://www.skyscrapers.nl/nyc/1bryantpark_001.jpg
http://www.skyscrapers.nl/nyc/1bryantpark_002.jpg

lakegz
Oct 12, 2004, 7:35 PM
Excellent!
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bluealbino/SYP/images/mrburns-hannibal.gif

JACKinBeantown
Oct 14, 2004, 1:44 PM
I hope that big glass wall on top doesn't act like a sail and get blown off.

PatrickBuijs
Oct 14, 2004, 2:37 PM
thanks TalB for posting them for me :) :okay:

TalB
Oct 14, 2004, 3:24 PM
I wasn't sure if you were going to register on this board and post them yourself.

FerrariEnzo
Oct 17, 2004, 2:38 AM
Quote:They still have that huge (well, sort of) building left to demolish in the corner? Why didn't they do it all at once?

No thats part of the theatre they are keeping if Im not mistaken?

Procurator
Oct 17, 2004, 7:52 AM
Oh! So they finally started digging at this site. Good news.

NYguy
Nov 4, 2004, 7:53 AM
Anybody been by the site lately? I went by there today (sorry no pics), but can't tell exactly what they are putting up on the 42nd street side....

Daquan13
Nov 4, 2004, 10:58 PM
They have been running skyscraper programs on the History Channel for the past couple of days, sort of a skyscraper marathon. Anyway, at the end of one of the programs (the CalTran project) the architects of the BOA talked about their project. I captured these rough shots:

The tower as viewed from different angles

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33557956/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558045/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558049/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558088/large.jpg

The architects and their building

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558201/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558203/medium.jpg

There will be two masts at the top of the building. The shorter mast will serve as a vertical wind turbine...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558208/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558326/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33557956/medium.jpg

When did the History Channel feature THIS tower in their programing? Damn, I missed it!!

I try to catch all of those programs & record them if I know ahead of time.

Anyway, those three channels, Discovery, History & National Geographic all run weekly very special programs.

1. Discovery has Extreme Engineering & Inside the Discovery Channel.

2. History has Modern Marvels.

3. National Geographic has Mega Structures.

All are very good. And some very well-known office towers, bridges, tunnels & symbolic structures were featured on all of them!!

Daquan13
Nov 4, 2004, 11:05 PM
This tower is also reminisent of the Freedom Tower in that it has sort of the twisting design & a spire.

FRED
Nov 5, 2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the informations. I did not know that once finish the tower will be taller that Conde. Keep update guys !! Alright !!

NYguy
Nov 6, 2004, 1:41 PM
Nov 5th, 2004 - 42nd Street

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/35998794/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/35998806/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/35998807/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/35998817/large.jpg

JACKinBeantown
Nov 6, 2004, 3:03 PM
Here comes the fun part.

On another note... the Woodstock building in the background is a retirement home where an old woman was killed five years ago when the crane/scaffold from the Conde Naste construction came crashing down into her top floor apartment. Let's hope nothing like that happens again.

Daquan13
Nov 6, 2004, 3:22 PM
Looks like even THIS building got a head start against the Freedom Tower!

In the 2nd photo, you can see the pile driving machine over at the left.
Those steel columns in the top pic were either hammered into the bedrock, or is part of the actual tower itself.

NYguy
Nov 8, 2004, 2:43 PM
Nov 7, 2004
A look on site

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098970/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098983/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098990/large.jpg

The facade, or what's left of the theater...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098992/large.jpg

This photo of the NY Times tower site also taken Nov 7th shows the Times' site further along in this race to the skyline...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098945/large.jpg

Lecom
Nov 8, 2004, 2:59 PM
So the facade's all that's left again? Decided to pull a Hearst on this one, too?

NYguy
Nov 8, 2004, 3:07 PM
So the facade's all that's left again? Decided to pull a Hearst on this one, too?

It will be part of the rebuilt theater...

At the direction of Bank of America and The Durst Organization, Cook+Fox Architects will restore and reconstruct the historic Henry Miller's Theater, with the goal of creating a state-of-the-art Broadway playhouse that captures the intimacy and proportions of the original 1918 Allen, Ingalls & Hoffman Theater. The Georgian-style land marked façade will be preserved and restored, the oval reception room, doors and decorative plasterwork, including the iconic urns marking the 43rd Street entrance, will be salvaged and incorporated into the new design.

JACKinBeantown
Nov 8, 2004, 11:29 PM
That facade reminds me of a building in San Antonio from the early 80's. They tore down the old Majestic Theatre but left the facade and incorporated it into a new building. I like the structure holding this one up.

Daquan13
Nov 9, 2004, 2:03 AM
[b]Nov 7, 2004

The facade, or what's left of the theater...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/36098992/large.jpg

Is this part being saved to be used as part of the new building?

Looks like it's rigged up & protected from falling, to be used later.

NYguy
Dec 6, 2004, 1:28 PM
Dec 5, 2004
Site of Bank of America tower

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/37188585/large.jpg

When complete, this tower will be taller, and reach higher than the Conde Nast building next door...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/37188586/large.jpg

Fabb
Dec 6, 2004, 4:33 PM
The demolished site is bigger than I thought.

CoolCzech
Dec 17, 2004, 2:36 AM
New York is truly the city of constant change. It's like that TV commercial with the rapidly changing skyline visible thru the windows...

STERNyc
Jan 7, 2005, 8:21 PM
Its becoming a giant hole!

http://n.1asphost.com/anstern/BOFA.jpg

Daquan13
Jan 7, 2005, 9:20 PM
A little bit blurry, but visible.

Fabb
Jan 7, 2005, 10:15 PM
That's impressive.
It must be about 50 ft deep, maybe more.

Islander
Jan 7, 2005, 10:29 PM
Here's a great webcame of the site, although you can't see much at night (rhyme not intended):

http://www.virtupic.com/condewebcam/webcam.html

Daquan13
Jan 7, 2005, 10:37 PM
I imagine that the area with no lights is the actual construction site.

You'd think that they would have the gumption enough to take that pic during daylight hours instead of at night. So that viewers can see just where everything is.

vincent
Jan 7, 2005, 11:42 PM
STERNyc, was that pic from esb webcam?

Chi-town
Jan 8, 2005, 1:01 AM
I'll be working in this thing come the end of '06. I start next summer in the current offices on 57th, but they're consolidating everyone in the Bryant Park building when it's completed.

STERNyc
Jan 8, 2005, 1:29 AM
STERNyc, was that pic from esb webcam?

Yes.

STERNyc
Jan 8, 2005, 2:36 PM
You'd think that they would have the gumption enough to take that pic during daylight hours instead of at night. So that viewers can see just where everything is.

I would assume that you didn't have enough gumption to read the preceding post:

Here's a great webcame of the site, although you can't see much at night (rhyme not intended):

Webcam as in it updates the picture every few seconds.

mikey johnson
Jan 8, 2005, 9:22 PM
nice hole baby

Daquan13
Jan 8, 2005, 9:57 PM
I would assume that you didn't have enough gumption to read the preceding post:

Webcam as in it updates the picture every few seconds.

When I first downloaded & looked at the webcam, the darkened pic stayed that way for a least ten minutes or so.

I mean, I'm talking like pitch black, as in outer space or deep sea
where you see nothing but the stars? You know?

It was nothing like it is now. A little brighter.

Lecom
Jan 9, 2005, 6:11 PM
Wow, I just realized it that the tower itself will be almost as tall as Conde with the antenna, plus it has a big ass antenna on its own. It's about time New York started building contenders for the ESB again.

NYguy
Jan 9, 2005, 7:00 PM
Wow, I just realized it that the tower itself will be almost as tall as Conde with the antenna, plus it has a big ass antenna on its own. It's about time New York started building contenders for the ESB again.

A look at the two...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/38459264/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/33558045/medium.jpg

Fabb
Jan 9, 2005, 9:13 PM
They look really good together.
Hopefully, the supertall antenna of Condé Nast won't be removed.

Daquan13
Jan 9, 2005, 11:16 PM
Of course, the BOFA Tower has the look that's somewhat similar to the Freedom Tower with its latticework top & the "twisting
effect" design.

TalB
Jan 10, 2005, 9:05 PM
After looking at the time lapse pic, it looks as if the hole is still not done b/c the tractors are in it right now.