PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Downtown Streetcar | Proposed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

WarrenC12
Mar 4, 2009, 12:31 AM
The problem is that there are already Nimbies who have expressed their disdain for any streetcar running through Coal Harbour, INCLUDING a former mayor of Vancouver, who vows to fight it if it ever gets close.

Which mayor would that be? I'm not suggesting it go down the shoreline. What is the proposed route? Hastings would be a good pick I'd say.

agrant
Mar 4, 2009, 12:38 AM
The problem is that there are already Nimbies who have expressed their disdain for any streetcar running through Coal Harbour, INCLUDING a former mayor of Vancouver, who vows to fight it if it ever gets close.and their reason was?

Metro-One
Mar 4, 2009, 12:48 AM
:previous: Because they moved downtown so they could shop close to home but still have the peace and quiet of the suburbs with no lights, noise, trains or upside down churches upsetting their serenity!

WBC
Mar 4, 2009, 1:16 AM
Guys I know that you are excited about this streetcar and I would like to see it built, but this project has been talked about for the last 10-15 years or longer and has gone nowhere. And it will go nowhere for a couple of reasons:

1) There is absolutely no way that Translink (and the suburbs) or the province will finance what essentially amounts to a tourist attraction for Vancouver. In terms of actully moving people around this system makes no sense for the locals. It esentially connects in roundabout way the rich parts of town with tourist destinations. And there is a bus/sky train network in place that covers most of these destinations anyway.

2) NIMBY's - Coal Harbour and Yaletown

agrant
Mar 4, 2009, 1:35 AM
Guys I know that you are excited about this streetcar and I would like to see it built, but this project has been talked about for the last 10-15 years or longer and has gone nowhere. And it will go nowhere for a couple of reasons:

1) There is absolutely no way that Translink (and the suburbs) or the province will finance what essentially amounts to a tourist attraction for Vancouver. In terms of actully moving people around this system makes no sense for the locals. It esentially connects in roundabout way the rich parts of town with tourist destinations. And there is a bus/sky train network in place that covers most of these destinations anyway.

2) NIMBY's - Coal Harbour and YaletownWell these Nimby's have a pretty weak ass case.

jlousa
Mar 4, 2009, 3:07 AM
Nimbies won't kill this, the only thing will be a lack of money. Heck the timing sucks but lets raise the hotel tax an extra dollar/night and have the city go it alone. Translink won't object to running the line they just do not have the funds to pay for it.

hollywoodnorth
Mar 4, 2009, 3:31 AM
Nimbies won't kill this, the only thing will be a lack of money. Heck the timing sucks but lets raise the hotel tax an extra dollar/night and have the city go it alone. Translink won't object to running the line they just do not have the funds to pay for it.

agreed :)

clooless
Mar 4, 2009, 3:39 AM
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull
The problem is that there are already Nimbies who have expressed their disdain for any streetcar running through Coal Harbour, INCLUDING a former mayor of Vancouver, who vows to fight it if it ever gets close.

Which mayor was that? Campbell?

I don't understand the logic of such a position. Is a streetcar all that different from a bus? Are the the NIMBYs opposed to bus service as well?

*shakes head*

Anyway, raggedy13 mentioned that it would be a boon for tourists and locals alike if the streetcar line extended to Vanier Park. I completely agree, but mark my words, it will never happen. If you think the NIMBYs at Coal Harbour like to bitch, just wait until the Kitsilano Whine Machine gets up to speed. I lived in Kits for a while, just off Cornwall Avenue. You have no idea how deep the sense of entitlement is amongst the residents there -- look what they did to the tour buses.

mattropolis
Mar 4, 2009, 5:19 AM
Art Philips and his wife former BC finance minister Carole Taylor came out against the streetcar.

WarrenC12
Mar 4, 2009, 3:16 PM
Art Philips and his wife former BC finance minister Carole Taylor came out against the streetcar.

Carole... there's definitely something wrong with people who spell their name that way. :D

I don't see a problem with NIMBYs. As a former Yaletown resident, I'd much rather have an electric streetcar than diesel bus driving by. :shrug:

DKaz
Mar 4, 2009, 4:15 PM
Is that the same finance minister who wore some new hardcore expensive Gucci shoes during the unveiling of the budget?

LotusLand
Mar 4, 2009, 4:42 PM
Is that the same finance minister who wore some new hardcore expensive Gucci shoes during the unveiling of the budget?

Yep :) I think the guys at 99.3 the fox labeled her a GILF. The first time I ever heard that word. She's a smart one that one and could easily have run for premier or mayor of Vancouver. Much better than Gregor :haha:

DKaz
Mar 4, 2009, 4:46 PM
Good grief, if she was mayor the streetcar project wouldn't even get to Phase 0. She'll be protesting with her Bimmer, threatening to throw a Caffe Artigiano cappucino at any construction workers who dares cross her blockade. How can she complain about a streetcar when Georgia St is already super noisy from all the traffic.

What does GILF stand for?

raggedy13
Mar 4, 2009, 7:43 PM
^If you know what MILF stands for just go back a generation...

SpongeG
Mar 4, 2009, 10:55 PM
the stanley park extension would be great if you lived in the WOD (west of denman) you could stroll down and catch the streetcar much easier to get to get around for them

Mac Write
Mar 8, 2009, 6:47 AM
Here's a big idea that would really get attention. Why not have the streetcar use the existing track and go right into Grandville Island (yes it's single tracked but it would be a loop for both directions). Would that really help reduce traffic in Grandville Island?

agrant
Mar 8, 2009, 7:26 AM
Here's a big idea that would really get attention. Why not have the streetcar use the existing track and go right into Grandville Island (yes it's single tracked but it would be a loop for both directions). Would that really help reduce traffic in Grandville Island?Interesting idea, but I don't see how. The stop, which is at the entrance to Granville Island, is just a 5 minute walk to the market. Taking people that extra distance won't decrease pedestrians or cars.

I think your idea might work for Stanley Park though. Have the streetcar go right in and loop around the eastern half, and return to Georgia St.

Alex Mackinnon
Mar 8, 2009, 11:21 AM
Problem is that when it's busy granville island traffic crawls. So you may as well walk the little extra distance instead of slowing down a mostly grade separated line.

worldwide
Mar 8, 2009, 5:33 PM
granville island always makes me laugh for that reason. when traffic is backed up past west 2nd and nobody is moving, why do more people wait in line. even once they do get on the island where are they going to park? it really boggles the mind... i mean driving cars in the city, the drivers always get screwed over, and its their own damn fault, but all they can do is clench the wheel and complain about traffic. i wish people would just drive to the city and then just park for the day.

wrenegade
Mar 8, 2009, 6:37 PM
Problem is that when it's busy granville island traffic crawls.

I hadn't been to Granville Island during the day in years. Literally many many years. It took me 45 minutes just to drive around that stupid place. I didn't even want to park, it was supposed to be a quick trip for my gf to grab 2 things from the market. What an absolute disaster.

Rusty Gull
Mar 8, 2009, 7:32 PM
Just to confirm what Mattropolis already alluded to, it was and is Art Phillips who is against the streetcar travelling through Coal Harbour on the way to Stanley Park. He made his case in Vancouver Magazine, and said something to the effect that he would fight like hell to keep it from his neighbourhood.

What a visionary.

raggedy13
Mar 8, 2009, 8:04 PM
^Did he explain his reasoning in the article? Was it a problem with noise?

SpongeG
Mar 8, 2009, 8:55 PM
he paid millions and doesn't want common people in his hood

Mac Write
Mar 8, 2009, 9:00 PM
Not everyone can walk easily. So the streetcar going right into the Island and making a few stops would drastically improve ridership.

agrant
Mar 8, 2009, 9:25 PM
Not everyone can walk easily. So the streetcar going right into the Island and making a few stops would drastically improve ridership.Ok. A few stops on Granville Island... Hmmmm...

Mac Write
Mar 8, 2009, 10:05 PM
Market enterance, Kids Only, Emlicar, etc.

SpongeG
Mar 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
that would get kind of annoying - maybe just one on the island itself

but i think they want to expand it west don't they?

fever
Mar 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
From yesterday:

Alder looking east, you can see how far the sleepers have been laid.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8219/alder1.jpg
By bob1324987134290 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bob1324987134290), shot with DMC-LZ10 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=DMC-LZ10&make=Panasonic) at 2009-03-08

This switch was by Oak
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3404/switch.jpg
By bob1324987134290 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bob1324987134290), shot with DMC-LZ10 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=DMC-LZ10&make=Panasonic) at 2009-03-08

zilfondel
Mar 8, 2009, 11:32 PM
^^^ hmm, its amazing how bent rails can get over time. Once they get the CWR in there, it'll be a nice, smoooooooooooooth ride. :)

agrant
Mar 8, 2009, 11:46 PM
Market enterance, Kids Only, Emlicar, etc.and one for Bridges and one for the Keg.

metroXpress
Mar 8, 2009, 11:47 PM
^^^ hmm, its amazing how bent rails can get over time. Once they get the CWR in there, it'll be a nice, smoooooooooooooth ride. :)

^ Agree. They should keep them and put it in the museum? It is, after all, part of the Downtown Historic Railway.

The_Henry_Man
Mar 9, 2009, 1:02 AM
One question: Say if COV/Translink wants to double-track the streetcar rail tracks in the future, is it expensive to move them to accomodate room for the 2nd track? And how long does it take to move them?

deasine
Mar 9, 2009, 1:06 AM
One question: Say if COV/Translink wants to double-track the streetcar rail tracks in the future, is it expensive to move them to accomodate room for the 2nd track? And how long does it take to move them?

There is more than enough space to include a second track.

fever
Mar 9, 2009, 1:07 AM
That's a new switch. All the older rails west of heather were removed before they started working on the new track bed.

I was under the impression that this section of right of way was wide enough for three tracks. Anyone remember or have the rfp documents?

Mac Write
Mar 9, 2009, 1:13 AM
I am serious about the Grandville Loop as less walking/closer stop will increase ridership. Translink is all about accessibility and all. Due to my disability I am unable to walk from the bus stop into Grandville Island so I am unable to go there since Transit isn't close enough.

deasine
Mar 9, 2009, 1:18 AM
That's a new switch. All the older rails west of heather were removed before they started working on the new track bed.

I was under the impression that this section of right of way was wide enough for three tracks. Anyone remember or have the rfp documents?

Yes that is correct.

agrant
Mar 9, 2009, 4:04 AM
I am serious about the Grandville Loop as less walking/closer stop will increase ridership. Translink is all about accessibility and all. Due to my disability I am unable to walk from the bus stop into Grandville Island so I am unable to go there since Transit isn't close enough.I don't know the nature of your disability, like if you can walk at all. If you don't mind me asking, can you drive?

jlousa
Mar 9, 2009, 4:08 AM
I believe he's/she's mentioned earlier that he's/she's legally blind, not sure if there is anything else.

Anyways I don't think we need the streetcar to veer into Granville Island, it's quicker to walk anywhere in there then to drive or take a streetcar.

DKaz
Mar 9, 2009, 4:56 PM
I say they put in a minature train to serve Granville Island. Kids and parents would love it, seniors and people with disabilities would appreciate it, the rest of us can walk.

twoNeurons
Mar 9, 2009, 6:52 PM
@Mac Write. Just as an FYI, if you're using Voice to Speech, you may want to correct "grandville." There's no "D" in Granville.

Anyway, the only way I see a streetcar into Granville working is if it ran along its own ROW on Granville Island in some spots.

Mac Write
Mar 10, 2009, 2:20 AM
I don't use Text to Speech. I can see.

wrenegade
Mar 13, 2009, 3:28 PM
Forgot to post these last night. A couple shots from the Laurel St bridge.

Looking east towards Cambie:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3351142250_ea4cbcb4c8_b.jpg

Looking west towards Granville:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3600/3350318387_0a0f4ea8a9_b.jpg

metroXpress
Mar 13, 2009, 4:11 PM
^ Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

eduardo88
Mar 14, 2009, 3:29 AM
are they keeping the wooden poles?

zivan56
Mar 14, 2009, 7:57 AM
^^ Considering they put in a new layer of gravel, which the poles make relatively harder to do, I would think they are staying.
Why is everyone going crazy about the look of the poles in the middle of what is essentially a deep ditch?

DKaz
Mar 14, 2009, 4:10 PM
are they keeping the wooden poles?

This has been discussed MANY times before, the poles are staying. Volunteers spent countless hours putting them up, we're not going to tear them down.

djmk
Mar 14, 2009, 5:22 PM
i do not mind the wooden poles at all. I think they blend into the vegetation quite nicely. as well, wooden poles is vancouver heritage and it me gives a warm feeling.

however, it would be nice if they were straight.... i'm just saying...

officedweller
Mar 19, 2009, 8:54 PM
CoV is moving ahead with the redevelopment of Pacific Boulevard (note the comment that the streetcar will be in the median, and left turn lanes at Davie and at Drake are gone):

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20090324/documents/a7.pdf

Metro-One
Mar 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
Why so many trees on the mediums? Shrubs, flowers and grass work just fine, having to many trees make the streets feel crowded, it is nice to have a few roads that feel more open.

LeftCoaster
Mar 19, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah I don't think that really works for Pacific, the street is too wide and the podiums too short. I do agree though that we need some more open feeling roads that aren't completely overgrown with vegetation. I think Granville would fill that void nicely, as would a street or two on the east side.

I actually really like the idea of the closely spaced thick vegetation on Pacific, the neighbourhood and street will lend itself quite well to that kind of shady peaceful street design.

officedweller
Mar 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Interesting that they only labelled the median trees - suggests that the sidewalk trees will remain (which is a good thing - as opposed to clear cutting and replacing with a different species).

djmk
Mar 19, 2009, 11:55 PM
Norway maples can grow fast into big trees and can be very pretty in the fall.

however, if i'm not mistaken, their roots grow rather close to the surface and can wreck the pavement.

Stingray2004
Mar 20, 2009, 12:09 AM
Am I missing something here??

A future median street car station at Pacific and Drake, yet the remainder of the median will be taken up by trees instead of cleared for streetcar tracks? :D

LeftCoaster
Mar 20, 2009, 12:29 AM
Streetcar will run with the traffic, the area for the station will not have trees on it.

DKaz
Mar 20, 2009, 2:49 AM
Yah, that's why they call it a STREETcar. lol.

SFUVancouver
Mar 20, 2009, 4:44 AM
A bit of an update, the rails for the demonstration line have been delivered to the railhead at Charleson Road and Moberly Road (the bus loop). A company out of Illinois has a truck there and they are welding the rails together into a single continuous length. Obviously when it is long enough they will start welding together the second rail.

Canadian Mind
Mar 20, 2009, 5:18 AM
Why don't they have a streetcare goes down Granville street? All the lines seem t go across downtown and the southshore of false creek, but not across. Would give alot more options.

Metro-One
Mar 20, 2009, 5:23 AM
Norway maples can grow fast into big trees and can be very pretty in the fall.

Why use Norway Maples? they seem to take forever to bud in the spring. If i were to choose i would use Japanese Cherry.

Stingray2004
Mar 20, 2009, 7:35 AM
Streetcar will run with the traffic, the area for the station will not have trees on it.

You're right! Silly me. After seeing pics of the current line being rebuilt along its own ROW, I still had this thingy in my head that it would go down the median of Pacific Boulevard separate from traffic.

But that's why its called a street car. :D

Metro-One
Mar 20, 2009, 7:39 AM
Thats what i was thinking, since from Science Word to Granville Island it will generally have its own ROW doesn't that make it more similar to an LRT? If not does it mean that that line could be easily converted?

DKaz
Mar 20, 2009, 3:12 PM
Well streetcars can run on it's own ROW or on the street, LRTs can as well. I think the only thing separating the two is the system capacity.

officedweller
Mar 20, 2009, 7:32 PM
Apparently, the City doesn't like Japanese cherry trees due to their susceptibility to disease. It's removing them over time - i.e. on Georgia Street.

I would expect that some of the median trees on Pacific would have to be removed to allow installation of the streetcar's overhead caternary wire system.

Metro-One
Mar 20, 2009, 7:41 PM
Apparently, the City doesn't like Japanese cherry trees due to their susceptibility to disease. It's removing them over time - i.e. on Georgia Street.

Are you kidding me! That is one of our city's most beautiful aspects are the rows of cherry trees! Gah! Could you even imagine Burrard station without the cherry trees? Those ugly eastern Maples take forever to bud and shed their leaves so early, most of the year they are ugly skeletons!

wrenegade
Mar 20, 2009, 7:46 PM
I wish we had more Cherry Trees in this city. I absolutely love them.

djmk
Mar 20, 2009, 9:21 PM
i love those Cherry Trees as well.

however, i would also be happy with trees that offered some colour in the winter months as well.

Vancity
Mar 20, 2009, 9:57 PM
i love those Cherry Trees as well.

however, i would also be happy with trees that offered some colour in the winter months as well.

I'm with you on this one.

officedweller
Mar 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
West Georgia Street Tree plan 1998 - as the existing trees die off or become unhealthy, they will be replaced with maple trees (not new cherry trees). I don't think that there are many cherry trees east of Burrard (if any?) anymore. The ones in front of the Bank of Montreal (401 West Georgia) were removed last year (and maples recently planted) and the ones near Seymour removed a couple of years before that. The main group are just near the Burrard Building and Royal Centre.
Appendix B to the report has the 1983 recommendations which provided for many cherry trees.

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/980514/PE2.HTM

Canadian Mind
Mar 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
Can't plant any Oak Trees eh?

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 2:25 AM
Again those Maple trees are ugly, plant more cherry trees, they add so much color and life during are far to often grey spring, as i said before the last thing are streets need are eastern hardwoods that don't bud until May. this really is another stupid decision by council.

jlousa
Mar 21, 2009, 2:57 AM
Yes another stupid decision by council :rolleyes:
I'm sure staff didn't put any thought and research into it before they made their recommendations and ultimately their decisions. If only they read these forums instead of listening to their so called experts, then we'd have a Ferris wheel, and cherry trees. :rolleyes:

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 3:03 AM
:previous: You really do believe that council can do no wrong don't you? This is a bone head decision and many times these so called "experts" end up being dead wrong. Let's just say i have never noticed a problem with the cherry trees out of the ordinary of any other species, but i have noticed how plain the Maples are compared to many other species they could choose. Why not try and use some native species or hybrid versions of native species? And please, for the love of god, drop the ferris wheel bit, have you ever heard of the 3 times rule for a joke? Once funny, second time gets a chuckle, third time it is done.

jlousa
Mar 21, 2009, 3:15 AM
City council can get things wrong, and they do all the time. I'm just sick of people that have absolutely no clue why and even how decisions are made criticizing those decisions. Just because you haven't seen anything wrong with the cherry trees doesn't mean their isn't. Officedweller explained why they are phasing them out.

And the Ferris wheel bit will always be funny to me. :tup:

Now, back on topic, rumours are starting to swirl that the streetcar project will see the other phases completed sooner rather then later. It sounds like it will be packaged as an olympic legacy post 2010. Guess we'll have to wait till then to see, not that we would've seen any construction before then anyways.

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 3:47 AM
Well my father is a professional gardner so from what i have learned from him about cherry trees makes me feel council's decision on this one is a little overblown. For example my parents house has 50 year old cherry trees lining the front yard and they have never had a problem :tup:

And that still does not explain their actions of choosing a tree that is bald and ugly 75% of the year to replace the cherries.

As for the street car that sounds like good news. I would love to see this project fast tracked. I guarantee having it link skytrain and Granville island will bring in a lot more business to that area. (accessibility is currently Granville Islands largest weakness in my opinion)

Canadian Mind
Mar 21, 2009, 3:52 AM
Better than you two arguing about it, why not research the decision making process? Office Dweller did a damn good job explaining why they removed the Cherry Trees, but why choose Maple?

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 3:59 AM
Cherry trees are susceptible to disease, but as i said they have overblown this and it really is not much of a problem. You just have to replace them every 40 to 60 years, not a big deal, and for all the color and beauty they add to the city it is a small price to pay. The only reason why they choose Norway Maples is because the are one of the easiest trees to maintain. That being said they are also one of the most boring trees to look at, and as i have also said before they bud very late in the spring and lose their leaves early in the fall, therefore they are bald for a much larger percentage of the year than cherry trees or any native species. Even their fall foliage is nothing special compared to that of other hardwood species. It all comes down to nickels and dimes.

jlousa
Mar 21, 2009, 4:01 AM
You should cut down those trees and count the rings. :tup:

susceptibility to pests and disease, the life span is limited from 15 to 25 years
http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?id=149

My cherry tree lasted just under 15yrs maybe the noise from the city is killing them early. I'll send a letter to cityhall asking them to impose more noise restrictions. :tup:

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 4:05 AM
Well as i have said, the cherry trees that we have are over 50 years old. Maybe you don't have much of a green thumb? 25 years is not bad, still much better than having boring maples that last forever. Think how much Vancouver's annual cherry blossom festival is going to suck without and cherry blossoms!

My cherry tree lasted just under 15yrs maybe the noise from the city is killing them early. I'll send a letter to cityhall asking them to impose more noise restrictions.

And the Ferris wheel bit will always be funny to me

If only they read these forums instead of listening to their so called experts, then we'd have a Ferris wheel, and cherry trees.

Also Jlousa you are one of the oldest on here and you are a moderator so can you please start to show some maturity? Also it is amazing how long a moderator has allowed this topic to be off track simply because he has a pet peeve with one of the forumers.

Canadian Mind
Mar 21, 2009, 4:07 AM
how the hell woudl noise kill a tree?

Metro-One
Mar 21, 2009, 4:13 AM
:previous: He is just trying to be cheeky.

jlousa
Mar 21, 2009, 4:20 AM
I don't have a problem with any particular forumer (well maybe one ex-forumer). If you feel you've been mistreated or that I've abused my powers as a moderator (don't see how as I haven't deleted any of your posts nor have I banned or suspended you, nor threatened to) please feel free to complain to the other moderators. All I have done is argued against your opinion that city council is ruining this city. Cheers.

deasine
Mar 21, 2009, 4:24 AM
:sly:

How about everyone just shut the hell up. Thank you.

Any problems or complaints with moderators or other members, please forward them to me instead of posting it in public. Otherwise, forever hold your silence.

:sly:

dreambrother808
Mar 21, 2009, 5:01 AM
Now, back on topic, rumours are starting to swirl that the streetcar project will see the other phases completed sooner rather then later. It sounds like it will be packaged as an olympic legacy post 2010. Guess we'll have to wait till then to see, not that we would've seen any construction before then anyways.

The city is going to fund all of it themselves?

raggedy13
Mar 21, 2009, 5:17 AM

Sounds promising.

How about everyone just shut the hell up. Thank you.

Any problems or complaints with moderators or other members, please forward them to me instead of posting it in public.

Damn straight.

CBeats
Mar 22, 2009, 8:39 AM
Anyone else think they should have made the streetcar demonstration project actually go to the Olympic Village? Because really, Millennium Water is not that close to the Canada Line's "Olympic Village Station".
All it needs is a small extension, just 1 more stop - at the actual Olympic Village.

zivan56
Mar 22, 2009, 9:44 AM
^^ I thought it was a security issue?

deasine
Mar 22, 2009, 6:57 PM
^^ I thought it was a security issue?

Yes.

CBeats
Mar 23, 2009, 12:30 AM
How is it a security issue?

Metro-One
Mar 23, 2009, 12:38 AM
Thats what i was wondering, and even if it is a security issues they could still construct that portion of the line, just not operate that section during the games.

deasine
Mar 23, 2009, 1:36 AM
Thats what i was wondering, and even if it is a security issues they could still construct that portion of the line, just not operate that section during the games.

Well they already have the ROW. There's no point in constructing it if we don't even know if the streetcar will be permanent or temporary.

CBeats
Mar 23, 2009, 2:03 AM
You would think that, as a demonstration line built specifically for the Olympics, the streetcar would serve an Olympic development of some kind directly. So even if it's temporary, the line should go to the actual village. And how is it a security issue? Transit lines have been built to support other Olympics (e.g. China), so what makes our streetcar so different that it can't safely operate in a similar manner?

deasine
Mar 23, 2009, 2:14 AM
You would think that, as a demonstration line built specifically for the Olympics, the streetcar would serve an Olympic development of some kind directly. So even if it's temporary, the line should go to the actual village. And how is it a security issue? Transit lines have been built to support other Olympics (e.g. China), so what makes our streetcar so different that it can't safely operate in a similar manner?

No, transit lines have been near the village not directly inside the village, just like the Olympic Village station.

Just think about how it could be a potential security problem.

CBeats
Mar 23, 2009, 3:05 AM
Well if the streetcar is expanded beyond its initial area, it won't go directly into the Olympic Village - it will go on the ROW on W 1st near it. What in regard to safety is wrong with that?

Locked In
Mar 23, 2009, 4:25 AM
The entire Olympic Village and adjacent streets (including 1st Ave) will be behind a 24 hour security closure during the Games (and long before I assume...). Security will be incredibly tight, and access will be extremely limited; history has unfortunately provided good reason to believe this is wise. The organizers clearly have no interest in creating a public transportation corridor mere feet from athletes' residences.
As for the Streetcar, it will connect the Canada Line and Granville island, and that connection will serve many times more people than a stop near Olympic Village (during the Games) would. Anyways, here's the road closure map showing the restricted areas:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tTCyS07dYVs/Sbkye2um6AI/AAAAAAAAAzc/2zQ_tIcXbqw/s400/OlympicTransportMap1_downtown.jpg

Source: Vancity Buzz Blog (http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/search/label/Events)

van-island
Mar 23, 2009, 5:00 AM
Interesting looking at the projected cost of building the line.

The minimum estimate is about $20 million a kilometre, up to around $26 million/km for the Pacific Boulevard extension, and $22.5 million/km for the overall line.

I have noticed a few examples in Europe where they are building (maybe just extending?) lines for $10 million/km, and even lower. (I think there was a city in Spain that got to just over $6 million/km, but I'm not sure about currency etc)

Is Vancouver's estimate pretty standard for what they're attempting, or are they high-balling the costs a bit?

Also interesting to note that these costs would likely be similar for an LRT system, as that is essentially what the streetcar will be on its separated ROW.

DKaz
Mar 23, 2009, 4:54 PM
Labour is more expensive here maybe. Also Europeans are experts at building streetcars whereas we're still in baby experimental stages.

SFUVancouver
Mar 23, 2009, 10:14 PM
Those per-kilometre cost estimates probably represent the total project cost divided by the proposed route length. In addition to track construction costs the budget would include the procurement of the LRVs, communication and switching equipment, and the "car barn" operations and maintence centre.

Once the system is up and running the cost of expanding it will be considerably lower.

SpongeG
Mar 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
parts of this city will be inaccessible during the games plus all the road closures

good times

gonna be a police state for a few weeks

metroXpress
Mar 24, 2009, 5:17 PM
After a long road trip visiting some cities of the west coast, I find Portland's Metropolitan Area Express (MAX)system a great success. Streetcars and LRTs are well integrated into their roads.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/3381928379_94cf035373_b.jpg

Pic taken by me....flickr account: Vancouver 2010

DKaz
Mar 24, 2009, 5:52 PM
Allen, actually that's their LRT. This is their streetcar:

Source: Portland Streetcar Wikipedia
Photographer: Cacophony
Source Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Streetcar
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/PortlandStreetcar5.jpg/800px-PortlandStreetcar5.jpg

metroXpress
Mar 24, 2009, 5:57 PM
^ Oh...my....I was so excited to see the those "cars on street" that I couldn't tell which is which. Anyways, it was great to see it in person and both systems are great!! :tup: