PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Downtown Streetcar | Proposed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

djh
Jan 14, 2010, 6:56 PM
I call 100% BS on that one... you've obviously not watched half of downtown pedestrians in Vancouver ignore red lights and walk right into cross traffic.

Look... I don't care what customs you've got back in the old country. Here, we've got these things called walk lights. How about learning what they're for? They might just save your life someday.

Funny you should say that, because I'm from the "old country" and whilst I agree with your point about pedestrians, it would be just as easy to apply it to drivers:

"I don't care what customs you've got back in the old country. Here, we've got these things call amber lights. They mean 'STOP - UNLESS it is unsafe to do so', not 'speed up so you get across the junction and don't have to wait.'. How about learning what they're for? They might just save your life someday."

or

"I don't care what customs you've got back in the old country. Here, we've got these things called indicators. They mean 'I'm about to change lane or direction'. How about learning what they're for? They might just save your life someday."

Touché (<--- that's a word from the "old country")
:P

cabotp
Jan 14, 2010, 9:15 PM
Again it comes down to those people thinking they are god and are allowed to follow their own rules. Whether they be walking or driving an idiot is an idiot

NetMapel
Jan 14, 2010, 10:11 PM
I call 100% BS on that one... you've obviously not watched half of downtown pedestrians in Vancouver ignore red lights and walk right into cross traffic.

Look... I don't care what customs you've got back in the old country. Here, we've got these things called walk lights. How about learning what they're for? They might just save your life someday.

To be honest I see more "white" doing jaywalking than others... especially white teenage boys. Don't want to turn this into a racial thing or anything though.

s211
Jan 14, 2010, 10:12 PM
"I don't care what customs you've got back in the old country. Here, we've got these things call amber lights. They mean 'STOP - UNLESS it is unsafe to do so', not 'speed up so you get across the junction and don't have to wait.'. How about learning what they're for? They might just save your life someday."

And yet, in Germany, the sequence of traffic control lights is:

GREEN -----> RED

RED -------> YELLOW -------> GREEN

Never understood the purpose of that.

s211
Jan 14, 2010, 10:13 PM
To be honest I see more "white" doing jaywalking than others... especially white teenage boys. Don't want to turn this into a racial thing or anything though.

My post had nothing to do about race, but have at 'er if you want.

Yume-sama
Jan 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
Someone was just killed by the C-Train yesterday in Calgary. So, even with flashing lights, loud noises, preventative arms coming down, and a big train with its lights on coming at you, Canadians can be very "unaware" :P Sadly, people getting hit and killed by the C-Train is not uncommon. It has lead to public discussion about the "safety" of non-grade separated transportation, and indeed most of the new line will be either in the air or underground.

Anyways... I am looking forward to trying out the Streetcar. It is free, yes? I wonder how long it takes to get to Granville Island.

cornholio
Jan 14, 2010, 10:24 PM

GREEN -----> RED

Makes sense to me. Instead of having a yellow light where most people speed up you get a red light and most people will actually attempt to stop if its safe to do so.
The stopped traffic on the other hand gets a yellow light and has time to have a look at the intersection to see whos coming and if its going to be safe to proceed. Once the light turns green they can go right away knowing the intersection is clear.

Sounds allot more logical and safer then what we have here. After all its more important for the stoped traffic to enter the intersection when its safe, their the ones who are stoped and with a yellow light they have time to asses the situation before they actual go(with just a green light they have only a split second to asses the situation unless they want to remain stopped on a green light). The yellow light for the moving traffic is pretty useless, why do you need to know that the light is going to turn red? The light should simply turn red and you make every effort you can to stop.

Makes sense to me.

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2010, 11:46 PM
the area it runs is isn't that busy and people down there are used to the street cars they've been running every summer for many years

SpongeG
Jan 14, 2010, 11:47 PM

GREEN -----> RED

in israel in the teaxi the driver said "in israel green means go yellow means go and red means go if you can" :haha: they are crazy drivers there

DKaz
Jan 15, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ok how about this... at pedestrian signals, you have traffic lights and no pedestrian signal in the main direction, and a stop sign and pedestrian signals in the cross direction. I don't know why drivers think that a walk signal gives them the right to ignore the stop sign and plow on through. Since there is no pedestrian signal the main direction, pedestrians have the right of way (in all directions).

/endrant

s211
Jan 15, 2010, 4:40 PM
Makes sense to me. Instead of having a yellow light where most people speed up you get a red light and most people will actually attempt to stop if its safe to do so.
The stopped traffic on the other hand gets a yellow light and has time to have a look at the intersection to see whos coming and if its going to be safe to proceed. Once the light turns green they can go right away knowing the intersection is clear.

Sounds allot more logical and safer then what we have here. After all its more important for the stoped traffic to enter the intersection when its safe, their the ones who are stoped and with a yellow light they have time to asses the situation before they actual go(with just a green light they have only a split second to asses the situation unless they want to remain stopped on a green light). The yellow light for the moving traffic is pretty useless, why do you need to know that the light is going to turn red? The light should simply turn red and you make every effort you can to stop.

Makes sense to me.

:cheers:

Miu
Jan 15, 2010, 8:30 PM
del

b5baxter
Jan 15, 2010, 11:33 PM
Sneak preview inside the Olympic Line:

http://stephenrees.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/sneak-preview-inside-the-olympic-line-%E2%80%93-vancouver%E2%80%99s-2010-streetcar/

Metro-One
Jan 16, 2010, 1:11 AM
Thanks for the link, I am excited to ride this!

Looks like our buddy has already posted on that site.

I heard on the radio today that the cost of the SkyTrain faregate/travel card project is now getting close to $200 million (I have forgotten the exact figure) and instead of putting in faregates, etc., take the money and invest in a downtown streetcar!

I believe the Flexity modular cars come in three widths and because of Brussels narrow loading gauge, these cars are somewhat narrower than what can be used in North America. the narrowest width is, of course, for European metre gauge tram systems.

In theory, the Flexity tram can operate in lengths greater than 50 metres, as can Siemens Combino and Alstom’s Citidis modular trams.

It’s too bad that these trams will operate on a route the virtually no one will see them in operation.

As for the ’steering wheel’ commnet, sometimes I just like to bang my head against the wall.

The guy is so funny, he can not say a good thing about anything without putting down skytrain or aspects of it in the same comment.

Thank goodness most people on this forum actually know something about transit and support a wide range of projects, from skytrain to the Vancouver streetcar.

CLC
Jan 16, 2010, 1:43 AM
I would love to know if "commemorative first rider certificate" is offered only for Thursday Jan 21? Otherwise I likely will try it on Friday evening

Metro-One
Jan 16, 2010, 1:45 AM
:previous: Does anyone know how many people they are expecting to come out? (how long waits will be to get a ride). If they are reasonable I am definitely going first day to snap some pics and maybe video.

deasine
Jan 16, 2010, 3:09 AM
CTV's report: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip256177#clip256177

The streetcar stops definitely don't look temporary (which is a good thing).

SpongeG
Jan 16, 2010, 6:04 AM
omg look at this comment to a picture on flickr :koko: :shrug: :shrug:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just "borrow" cars from the SkyTrain or Canada Line fleet and switch them into manual mode for the Olympic Line?

the picture from flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4276829877_f82f165b3a_b.jpg
stephen rees (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_rees/)

inside
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4276828869_d851ebc6c0_b.jpg
stephen rees (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_rees/)

Mac Write
Jan 16, 2010, 8:20 AM
Actually they probably are thinking "Hey this runs on rails like the Skytrains so do why not use those trains". They don't realize that they each require different power sources (though why not use a dual mode top/side) powered train then we can share them between the Canada Line and the streetcar. May actually work.

zivan56
Jan 16, 2010, 8:33 AM
Well they are the same guage I believe, so they could put in a diesel shunter to tow a Skytrain car along...not exactly something anybody would want to ride (and would probably cost way more than having these considering they are a free lease). At least the power/tracks would not have to be upgraded if the shunter stayed at a slower speed. :P

Pinion
Jan 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
we are a little more aware here in vancouver though - i can see it happenning in texas

Really?! Vancouver has the least aware pedestrians of anywhere I've ever seen. And I can't speak for Texas but every other US city I've been to (Seattle, Portland, San Fran, LA, Vegas, Spokane, and smaller ones in between) has been so significantly better in regards to pedestrian/driver awareness and consideration that it actually makes me mad to think about how dumb/rude Vancouverites are as I try to walk down a few blocks every day.

More on topic, they have to find a way to make this line permanent. I'd use it all the time, but will probably avoid it during the Olympics. Seems like such a waste. :(

Yume-sama
Jan 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
People in America fear cars, people in Vancouver fear self righteous pedestrians :P

Though, as a pedestrian myself, I'll join in on crossing a road I have no business crossing, if enough other people do it.... :haha:

A buffer zone, you know, so I'm not the first one run over.

djh
Jan 17, 2010, 12:04 AM
Just came back from False Creek. I was crossing at that corner where the tracks cross a turnoff from First Avenue. They were testing the cars so I videoed the car up close as it went by.

There's definitely going to be accidents at that junction from careless pedestrians and drivers. Even my wife brought it up as she looked at the junction and said right-turners from First Avenue will slam right into the tram as they try to beat cars and the lights.

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
well i guess this is a city of neandrathals than

pedestrians are idiots in this city probably why there are two dead already this year

Metro-One
Jan 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
Personally I find that pedestrians, motorists and cyclists are pretty much equally rude and idiotic in this city. And that is not a good thing!

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
my friend doesn't drive but he is more aware cause he rides with me i think drivers make better pedestrians as they understand how to be better - but he is always yelling at pedestrians which i find funny

NetMapel
Jan 17, 2010, 4:22 AM
my friend doesn't drive but he is more aware cause he rides with me i think drivers make better pedestrians as they understand how to be better - but he is always yelling at pedestrians which i find funny

I have to say that I became a much more awared as a pedestrian after I started driving. Driving helped me realized how distracted a driver is and pedestrian should never assume the drivers see you.

cabotp
Jan 17, 2010, 7:56 AM
I do find if I'm crossing a road if I give a firm eye contact to the driver. It helps a lot.

The other problem I find is whether it be a pedestrian or driver. At times people just don't get there act together quick enough. Basically it is there turn to go and they just sit there waiting.

metroXpress
Jan 18, 2010, 2:57 AM
There's this big ad in the Vancouver Sun as well. Why does it say the streetcar only runs from 9:00 AM to 12:00 AM? I thought it is going to provide all day service....

deasine
Jan 18, 2010, 3:51 AM
There's this big ad in the Vancouver Sun as well. Why does it say the streetcar only runs from 9:00 AM to 12:00 AM? I thought it is going to provide all day service....

If you are thinking, all-day service in terms of 00:00-6:00, that was never the plan. It runs during the times as per posted on TransLink's website.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineName=979&LineAbbr=979

djh
Jan 18, 2010, 7:08 AM

12:00am is 12 midnight so it is going to be running all day.

BCPhil
Jan 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Y-OtUpUNeo8

Looks like a good ride, if only the double track section was longer. It looks like a fast ride, about 3 minutes.

The trains look amazing, drove past them the other night. I would love to see them painted in the Translink livery and running through the cobbled streets of Gastown.

djh
Jan 19, 2010, 11:13 PM
Looks like a good ride, if only the double track section was longer. It looks like a fast ride, about 3 minutes.

The trains look amazing, drove past them the other night. I would love to see them painted in the Translink livery and running through the cobbled streets of Gastown.

See how that bloke nearly got smoked at 0:45? :whip:

I hope there are no pubs or bars near that crossing, or they might as well just leave a pile of bodybags by the side of the tracks.

Vancity
Jan 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
I hope the city decides to implement the system fully, and get those exact trains (with Translink colors, of course)! I think it would be a great addition to the variety of public transportation for people in the city. That'd be pure awesomness.

Do we know if the city will implement this full time? Or is this only for the duration of the Olympics, and then that's it?

deasine
Jan 19, 2010, 11:27 PM
I hope the city decides to implement the system fully, and get those exact trains (with Translink colors, of course)! I think it would be a great addition to the variety of public transportation for people in the city. That'd be pure awesomness.

Do we know if the city will implement this full time? Or is this only for the duration of the Olympics, and then that's it?

Olympics only, until someone else steps up on the plate and helps CoV make it a reality or CoV magically finds a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

mr.x
Jan 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
If only we had more exclusive rail corridors...

deasine
Jan 20, 2010, 1:14 AM
If only we had more exclusive rail corridors...

That's really an issue I find in Vancouver compared to many other North American cities. We don't have many rail corridors going through the city, which makes LRT implementation that much more difficult.

The_Henry_Man
Jan 20, 2010, 2:48 AM
Looks like the current Olympic Line are not built to include signal priorities for the streetcars. But is it possible to include signal priority for those vehicles when they finally get the COV streetcar system running?

And those Bombardier Flexity streetcars sounds WAY more like a diesel-powered trains than a typical electric-powered trains.

MalcolmTucker
Jan 20, 2010, 2:56 AM
Well, right now the street cars have 100% priority, they are operating as a railway! When the system expands the city will have to figure out what to do, but without their own lanes, priority is pretty pointless (beyond what a normal city bus can do, hastening a light cycle)

NetMapel
Jan 20, 2010, 4:42 AM
To be completely honest, after watching that youtube posted here earlier, it doesn't appear that this Olympic line go through anywhere with people. I only see buildings at the beginning and the end of the video, the middle is all in the middle of nowhere with walls and hills on the side. It kind of defeat the purpose of a street car, which is supposed to go through lots buildings and allowing easy public transit access. The whole street car project won't really be anything worthwhile until they complete all the phases we've seen on their website, which is to connect to Granville street, Vancouver Museum, Gastown and Stanely Park. I think, after that, they should start considering shuffling some buses off major streets and replace them with streetcars instead, and move those buses to smaller streets that will connect them to streetcar stations.

Vancity
Jan 20, 2010, 5:05 AM
Olympics only, until someone else steps up on the plate and helps CoV make it a reality or CoV magically finds a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

That's really unfortunate to hear :(

paradigm4
Jan 20, 2010, 5:06 AM
Wow that thing zooms along the straightaway

Waders
Jan 20, 2010, 5:16 AM
See how that bloke nearly got smoked at 0:45? :whip:

I hope there are no pubs or bars near that crossing, or they might as well just leave a pile of bodybags by the side of the tracks.

That guy must have been daydreaming. I can foresee some accident waiting to happen.

DKaz
Jan 20, 2010, 7:00 AM
Designs do show that there should be two stations between Olympic Village and Granville Island, maybe one around the 6th Ave overpass to catch passengers living to the south and another one to serve residents to the north. I don't see any reason why the line won't be successful. I know I would definitely use the eventual extension from Waterfront towards Stanley Park to get to work in the West End.

mrjauk
Jan 20, 2010, 8:03 AM
That's really an issue I find in Vancouver compared to many other North American cities. We don't have many rail corridors going through the city, which makes LRT implementation that much more difficult.

I agree, but it's a function of our location and our [relative lack of] history. I was back in Boston recently and even though it's on the coast and relatively far north, the number of rail lines converging on North and South stations is astounding.

SpongeG
Jan 20, 2010, 8:26 AM
the old street car run by the volunteers will be run again in the summer as it usually does every summer - maybe people will demand something now that they have been tempted

s211
Jan 20, 2010, 4:07 PM

I praythe city gets a cold dose of reality and decides not to implement the system at all, and get those pie-in-the-sky trains sent back to those corporate welfare hacks at Bombardier! I think it would be a great waste of money for what effectively comprimises a niche addition to the variety of public transportation for people in the city. That'd be pure awesomness.

canucks23
Jan 20, 2010, 4:15 PM
^huh

WarrenC12
Jan 20, 2010, 5:36 PM
Any of you unemployed types heading down there for the opening tomorrow? :D

lightrail
Jan 20, 2010, 11:05 PM
To be completely honest, after watching that youtube posted here earlier, it doesn't appear that this Olympic line go through anywhere with people. I only see buildings at the beginning and the end of the video, the middle is all in the middle of nowhere with walls and hills on the side. It kind of defeat the purpose of a street car, which is supposed to go through lots buildings and allowing easy public transit access. The whole street car project won't really be anything worthwhile until they complete all the phases we've seen on their website, which is to connect to Granville street, Vancouver Museum, Gastown and Stanely Park. I think, after that, they should start considering shuffling some buses off major streets and replace them with streetcars instead, and move those buses to smaller streets that will connect them to streetcar stations.

You obviously don't know Vancouver. The streetcar is running through a densely populated area just south of False Creek.

DKaz
Jan 20, 2010, 11:07 PM
You obviously don't know Vancouver. The streetcar is running through a densely populated area just south of False Creek.

And to the North if they build a station near the Laurel St. pedestrian overpass over 6th Ave.

Are there going to be any opening day celebrations for the line?

CLC
Jan 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
And to the North if they build a station near the Laurel St. pedestrian overpass over 6th Ave.

Are there going to be any opening day celebrations for the line?

Opening ceremony at 930, and "first riders" will get certificate , otherwise I haven't heard of any celebrations.

metroXpress
Jan 21, 2010, 1:06 AM
Opening ceremony at 930, and "first riders" will get certificate , otherwise I haven't heard of any celebrations.

Ah, I never got my passport for Canada Line. :sly:

Hed Kandi
Jan 21, 2010, 1:23 AM
I praythe city gets a cold dose of reality and decides not to implement the system at all, and get those pie-in-the-sky trains sent back to those corporate welfare hacks at Bombardier! I think it would be a great waste of money for what effectively comprimises a niche addition to the variety of public transportation for people in the city. That'd be pure awesomness.

:whatthefuck:

jlousa
Jan 21, 2010, 1:47 AM
I share part of the sentiment of S211, but I certainly want to see this line successful and built out to Phase 2+, but only because it makes sense there. I do not want to see the city jump on the tram bandwagon though as there is a reason cities moved away from them. Buses although not nearly as popular are incredibly more flexible and better suited for mixed traffic. Trams and LRT certainly have their place, but they fare better in ROWs.

Rumour has it that their will be an announcement regarding the streetcar network tomorrow, unfortunately I have no idea what that announcement is, I could only guess like the rest of you.

BCPhil
Jan 21, 2010, 1:56 AM

And it's not really what it passes that matters, it's where it's going. It is offering a 3 minute ride between the Canada Line (and a rather well built up area around the station) and Granville Island.

I was really hoping they would at least keep them through June, and see how the ridership does during a summer month, when travel to Granville Island is high.

And if they restored the track between Science World and Olympic Village station I'm sure it would be a huge draw once people start moving into the Olympic Village, as the village itself is kind of isolated from good transit.

mezzanine
Jan 21, 2010, 2:02 AM
I share part of the sentiment of S211, but I certainly want to see this line successful and built out to Phase 2+, but only because it makes sense there. I do not want to see the city jump on the tram bandwagon though as there is a reason cities moved away from them. Buses although not nearly as popular are incredibly more flexible and better suited for mixed traffic. Trams and LRT certainly have their place, but they fare better in ROWs.

Rumour has it that their will be an announcement regarding the streetcar network tomorrow, unfortunately I have no idea what that announcement is, I could only guess like the rest of you.

Another cryptic message from jlousa... it may be about the post-olympic line from main street station to granville island. Or it could be even bigger...

Land deal to help pay for B.C. Place retrofit - $500-million deal ‘imminent' for massive construction project to begin after Olympics
(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/land-deal-to-help-pay-for-bc-place-retrofit/article1437092/)

And if there is anything that I've learned with reading up on the human blog and jousting with ZweiMalcolm, each transit mode is like a tool in a toolbox, each with a different purpose. Trams may have a role, like with the planned vancouver network. However, vancouver uniquely has trolleybuses that have many of the attributes trams have with more flexibilty and existing infrastructure.

Zassk
Jan 21, 2010, 4:20 AM
And it's not really what it passes that matters, it's where it's going. It is offering a 3 minute ride between the Canada Line (and a rather well built up area around the station) and Granville Island.

Do Olympics tourists know or care what Granville Island is?

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 4:23 AM

Does anybody coming to Vancouver *not* know what Granville Island is? It's one of only like 3 things the city markets lol

Anyways, is it really only 3 minutes? What was the 20 minute figure going around awhile ago... the frequency?

Metro-One
Jan 21, 2010, 6:10 AM

Looks like this is an area we both agree on. hehe.

Conrad Yablonski
Jan 21, 2010, 6:30 AM
To be completely honest, after watching that youtube posted here earlier, it doesn't appear that this Olympic line go through anywhere with people. I only see buildings at the beginning and the end of the video, the middle is all in the middle of nowhere with walls and hills on the side. It kind of defeat the purpose of a street car, which is supposed to go through lots buildings and allowing easy public transit access.....
The whole thing is window dressing nothing more.

No they're here to see the events and while GI Management has estimated 30,000+ visitors a day in February I think they're FOS.

Given the time to come/go from ticketed events how many people will be touring the city on the same crowded transit lines?

Or doing yet more walking?

Good weather could bring more people out rain will keep them closer to a plate of food and a beer.

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 6:39 AM
Events don't last all day. Some people may only be going to a couple of events, but staying 4 - 5 days.

Heck, some people aren't going to ANY events and just coming for the vibe and experience.

If you are a tourist, you are MOST likely going to Granville Island. That's just what they do.

Every single "travel review" of Vancouver mentions it.

lightrail
Jan 21, 2010, 7:04 AM
The whole thing is window dressing nothing more.

No they're here to see the events and while GI Management has estimated 30,000+ visitors a day in February I think they're FOS.

Given the time to come/go from ticketed events how many people will be touring the city on the same crowded transit lines?

Or doing yet more walking?

Good weather could bring more people out rain will keep them closer to a plate of food and a beer.

Totally disagree. If I'm visiting a city for an event, I want to take time to explore the city.

vansky
Jan 21, 2010, 7:13 AM
if uve never been to asia, us hould go to richmond...

if uve never been to n.america, u should go to east hastings...

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 8:07 AM

granville island is home to a few country houses - switzerland, belgium and i forget the others, plus coca cola house and one other

people from those countries will be most inetrested in visiting their home countries houses to get together and watch and drink together...

i was down at OV station and looked at the set up - they look well prepared - crowd control, porta potties a tent etc - should be busy

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 8:10 AM
The Swiss will be giving out chocolates and cheeses. You best believe I'll be there.

BCPhil
Jan 21, 2010, 8:21 AM
I also think there is going to be a $4 million French Quarter, and Atlantic Provinces house. Outside the venues and official party sites, Grandville island will be the busiest destination in Vancouver during the Olympics. The streetcars probably won't be Canada Line packed, but they'll be pretty busy most of the day.

And yes, most people aren't going to be in events all day. There are hundreds of thousands coming for the games, they won't be spending all their time in events and their hotel. When I was trying to buy tickets, it was very difficult to squeeze in more than one event a day as the start times overlap (and the distances between the venues are quite large). Visitors are going to have A LOT of free time to kill.

If you are visiting for a few days without a car, where else are you going to go? Tourists are going to want to check out Granville Island, Stanley Park, and the Art Gallery, everyone has nice casinos back in their home country.

BCPhil
Jan 21, 2010, 8:31 AM
Anyways, is it really only 3 minutes? What was the 20 minute figure going around awhile ago... the frequency?

Yeah, that video I posted back there shows the entire ride end to end in the cab, takes just a few seconds more than 3 minutes and I don't think he breaks 50km/h.

The Translink website says the trains will run every 8 minutes when it's busy, so that's about 4 minutes travel and another 4 minutes turnaround, which is pretty reasonable (and Vancouver.ca says it will run every 6 to 10 minutes).

We'll see soon I suppose.

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 8:33 AM
i read that switzerland will bring any medal winning athletes to their house - housed in bridges restaurant... via the little ferry

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 11:34 AM
some pics before the big day

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5372/dsc06984.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/dsc06984.jpg/)

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6472/dsc06983.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/i/dsc06983.jpg/)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3516/dsc06980v.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/dsc06980v.jpg/)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6672/dsc06978.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/dsc06978.jpg/)

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6954/dsc06976q.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/i/dsc06976q.jpg/)

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2407/dsc06974.jpg

all pics by me

metroXpress
Jan 21, 2010, 6:02 PM
These are great photos, thanks!

officedweller
Jan 21, 2010, 7:14 PM
Thanks.
What's with the half French signage?

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 7:15 PM
Thanks.

Federal government requirement. They are spending tens of millions in Vancouver to make sure everything is PC and bilingual ;)

deasine
Jan 21, 2010, 7:20 PM
Thanks.

I'm uploading photos as of right now, but everything, or most at least, is available in English and French.

CLC
Jan 21, 2010, 7:36 PM
^ any lineups? :haha:

Vancity
Jan 21, 2010, 7:39 PM
If this project during the Olympics is a "success" - success in terms of people enjoying this public transportation mode. Surely the government would consider this to be a permanent solution for post-Olympics? I could see it being quite popular.

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 7:42 PM
well now that it is even more useful - the transfer to the Canada line is very easy much easier than waterfront - people will realize more than before how useful it is

deasine
Jan 21, 2010, 7:53 PM

Quite quiet actually. There was a 1-train line up for the streetcar initially, but you can easily have a seat now. Flickr and Facebook isn't cooperating, but youtube is:
cXdFiRsfVBA

Vancity
Jan 21, 2010, 7:54 PM

I highly doubt it. But I hope that I'm wrong!

WarrenC12
Jan 21, 2010, 7:59 PM
Federal government requirement. They are spending tens of millions in Vancouver to make sure everything is PC and bilingual ;)

Of course, but remember English and French are the 2 official languages of the Olympic Games.

mrjauk
Jan 21, 2010, 8:10 PM

As someone else noted above, this isn't about political correctness, it is about the fact that Canada is hosting the Olympic Games, and it is a country in which there are two official languages. How long have you lived in Canada? This is the law of the land, not PC.

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 8:16 PM
As someone else noted above, this isn't about political correctness, it is about the fact that Canada is hosting the Olympic Games, and it is a country in which there are two official languages. How long have you lived in Canada? This is the law of the land, not PC.

Mmm, actually, it is almost all about being politically correct, whether or not you want to admit it. If there was no politics in it, the Bloc wouldn't have been making a big show about it, which then caused the government to spend millions more to make sure *everything* is bilingual. I didn't say that's a bad thing, but it's most definitely political. Yes, they are the official languages of the IOC, but we certainly go to a broader extent than was bare minimum necessary.

djh
Jan 21, 2010, 8:21 PM
CKNW was just talking about how the authorities are thinking they may be able to leverage this into an "Olympic Legacy" - meaning, I presume, that they will get federal and provincial and possbibly VANOC support to keep it going - IF it is loved over the Olympics.
I think that raises the probability of Translink keeping the project and doing the subsequent stages substantially.

officedweller
Jan 21, 2010, 8:23 PM
well now that it is even more useful - the transfer to the Canada line is very easy much easier than waterfront - people will realize more than before how useful it is

But it doesn't yet reach Main St. Station.

officedweller
Jan 21, 2010, 8:27 PM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2407/dsc06974.jpg

Of course, but remember English and French are the 2 official languages of the Olympic Games.

My comment more relates to how the English part and the French parts don't say the same thing - like typical bilingual signage would.

In French it says "to the Olympic Village" and "Vancouver Tramway 2010" - where's the English for that?
whereas the English says "Olympic Line" - shouldn't it say "Ligne Olympique"? (or whatever "Line" would translate to)

That's a bit odd that the information isn't all provided in one language and/or the other - it's half and half.

... unless that's the French only sign and "Olympic Line" is taken as a proper name?

Is there another sign with English only?

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 8:37 PM
there was one guy waiting there from 4:30 am!

they showed a short report on the noon news - people were all gushing - one guy said he was glad it was slow so he could see things and not just a blue and at least it was quicker than walking - so the general public doesn't probably care about speed just a comfortable ride - one woman said it was better than the new york subway

the news showed a fairly decent line up at 9:30 am... probably died off

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 8:39 PM
My comment more relates to how the English part and the French parts don't say the same thing - like typical bilingual signage would.

In French it says "to the Olympic Village" and "Vancouver Tramway 2010" - where's the English for that?
whereas the English says "Olympic Line" - shouldn't it say "Ligne Olympique"? (or whatever "Line" would translate to)

That's a bit odd that the information isn't all provided in one language and/or the other - it's half and half.

... unless that's the French only sign and "Olympic Line" is taken as a proper name?

Is there another sign with English only?

that whole row of fencing is signs like that -i didn't even notice that one was french till i looked at the pic - i think there are english and french versions

the area is well signed quite good

WarrenC12
Jan 21, 2010, 8:41 PM
Mmm, actually, it is almost all about being politically correct, whether or not you want to admit it. If there was no politics in it, the Bloc wouldn't have been making a big show about it, which then caused the government to spend millions more to make sure *everything* is bilingual. I didn't say that's a bad thing, but it's most definitely political. Yes, they are the official languages of the IOC, but we certainly go to a broader extent than was bare minimum necessary.

Dude go to the Airport. Everything federally run or managed is in both languages. Despite my hatred for the Bloc, this has nothing to do with them.

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 8:42 PM
there was one guy waiting there from 4:30 am!

they showed a short report on the noon news - people were all gushing - one guy said he was glad it was slow so he could see things and not just a blue and at least it was quicker than walking - so the general public doesn't probably care about speed just a comfortable ride - one woman said it was better than the new york subway

the news showed a fairly decent line up at 9:30 am... probably died off

That's not a very big accomplishment. Better than a cold, old, noisy, rusted, cattle car on screeching wheels. Imagine what she'd think of the Canada Line...

Stingray2004
Jan 21, 2010, 8:50 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3516/dsc06980v.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/dsc06980v.jpg/)

I was under the impression that they had replaced the older rails and wooden ties with new continuous weld rails, concrete ties, and ballast.

Looking at this pic, it looks like that process terminated at a certain point and was "tied" into the old rails/ties.

Unless the above "tie-in" was just the temporary end of the demonstration project.

zivan56
Jan 21, 2010, 9:13 PM
^^ From right after the station to under the bridge it is the old rails. They are there just for loading IIRC. I'm not even sure if they have overhead power above that section...

David
Jan 21, 2010, 9:22 PM
yup that looks like it is outside of the demonstration area. see the orange cone

vansky
Jan 21, 2010, 9:36 PM
these things are way too slow and troublesome for broadway to ubc, good for short distance, short stops, and tourism

SpongeG
Jan 21, 2010, 9:48 PM
i don't know people will choose these over cars thats all thats needed - they are good enough for getting around the city

anyway here is the other direction...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/spongeg/DSC06979.jpg

Yume-sama
Jan 21, 2010, 9:56 PM
these things are way too slow and troublesome for broadway to ubc, good for short distance, short stops, and tourism

I'm inclined to agree. However, it does serve its purpose for the "Olympic Line". I would love to see it extended to Stanley Park, etc.

But for long distances? No.

DKaz
Jan 21, 2010, 10:13 PM

Stop it, you'll make zwei cry. :haha:

CLC
Jan 21, 2010, 10:25 PM

exactly! just talked with my parent who have gone earlier today. Their opinion of the ride is boring, not fast, and the streetcar itself is "nothing special" :D

WarrenC12
Jan 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
exactly! just talked with my parent who have gone earlier today. Their opinion of the ride is boring, not fast, and the streetcar itself is "nothing special" :D

Well, it's another method of transit, and only has 2 stops at that. Not a cure for cancer. :)

I think it would make a great tourist/downtown line, and I like the fully built-out system detailed by the COV. Beyond that, I'm not sure... this type of thing would probably work well with 2-3 lines fanned out from KG station in Surrey, towards White Rock, Langley, etc.

DKaz
Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
The 106 should be replaced with a trolley or streetcar.

officedweller
Jan 21, 2010, 10:41 PM
some pics before the big day

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5372/dsc06984.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/dsc06984.jpg/)
all pics by me

Just noticed that seem to have thought ahead - there's a removable 4x4 timber along the platfrom edge, so when wider North American cars are purchased, the platforms will still fit.