HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 6:02 AM

The shingles are back:

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The shingles are back:

Sorry to see the shingles back they just feel wrong on a high rise. They look less reflective - is that the case?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:38 AM

The shingles provide a welcome pop of color on that drab slab.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:42 AM

The shingles are about the only thing I like on the building. The window wall system with the painted grey spandrels is really drab looking.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:56 PM

Those fish scales are awful ...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
The shingles are about the only thing I like on the building. The window wall system with the painted grey spandrels is really drab looking.

I agree. I love the splash of color.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:08 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
Sorry to see the shingles back they just feel wrong on a high rise.
I don't think they look wrong on a high rise, but they sure do look wrong on this high rise. They're out of place because they don't gel with the design in any way, and that's a shame since they're the only decent thing about the design.

The name NV is becoming less offensive since the building is too ugly to envy.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
I wish designers and architects would stop using overcast cloud gray for their buildings. This is the Northwest, it rains a lot here, we get it, now pick a color that works best in cloudy conditions, not matches it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I wish designers and architects would stop using overcast cloud gray for their buildings. This is the Northwest, it rains a lot here, we get it, now pick a color that works best in cloudy conditions, not matches it.
What other building in this neighborhood is grey?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:41 AM

I am a fan of the shingles. I hate calling them shingles, but they look nice on the otherwise dull building.

The dullness doesn't bother me in so much as the monotonous pattern that is on such a large building that has no balconies or any other feature to break it up.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:57 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What other building in this neighborhood is grey?
A good number of buildings in Portland and within the Pearl use gray colors or bland cloudy color palates. It isn't a huge issue, it just doesn't make sense in a city that is cloudy for much of the year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
A good number of buildings in Portland and within the Pearl use gray colors or bland cloudy color palates. It isn't a huge issue, it just doesn't make sense in a city that is cloudy for much of the year.
I say this to clients all the time.

Then they tell me they want us to use grey/ sand/ bland color because it 'hides the dirt' and is 'less maintenance'. Frustrating.

Once in awhile you'll get a client who sticks with a color or white or something.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Speak for yourself... I like muted colors and detest bright colors. If my entire neighborhood was grey and white, it would suit me just fine...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 12:05 AM

Can someone clarify whether the shingles are actually the same or different? I was running by NV yesterday and it really struck me that they had been toned down. What was once was a dark, almost cobalt blue for the brightest one is now closer to slate. Overall, the impact seems rather more muted. I think it's better but I'm not sure if my eye is seeing this correctly.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Autre Ne Veut NV

“Autre Ne Veut” translates to “I want no other,” a statement true enough for the latest apartment building wrapping up construction in the Pearl District. The building, NV, is named in a play on the French phrase inscribed on a 15th century British dress ornament stored at The Cloisters, part of The Met in New York.

One of the tallest residential towers in the city, NV is located at 1261 N.W. Overton. It is designed by ZGF Architects, developed by Unico Properties and currently under construction by Andersen Construction.

NV has 284 units ranging from live-work lofts, townhomes, one- and two-bedroom apartments to commercial space at street level. The site used to be a warehouse that was torn down in 2014, and the 26-floor, 250-foot-tall tower is now under construction and nearly complete.

Julie Currier, Unico Properties Senior Development Manager, said there were many reasons why they chose to build apartments here.

“Namely because the site is located in the northern portion of the Pearl: the zoning allows for taller residential projects with better views and more light,” Currier said. “The site also has three parks within as many blocks, which, combined with the shopping/dining/entertaining options of the Pearl District, provide a fully-rounded residential experience that is hard to beat.”
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 4:23 AM

I should go take some photos. The brick has been put on a lot of the podium.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 7:02 PM

Pretty stunning views from the roof:

Two story "sky homes":

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 1:42 PM

The outside (shingles,Panels) is turning out nicer than I thought it would. This building is starting to look, pretty dog gone good.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 3:14 AM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:56 AM

A lot of finishing touches going on. The finishing touches are really putting a nice polish on this building. The tiles turned out pretty nice (in my humble opinion) and the street presence is pretty welcoming as well. Some of the trees they delivered look a bit unhealthy, but otherwise not a bad job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland