HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Well the car isn't going anywhere. The guy with the backpack doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get out of the way. Which makes me think how nice this would be if the entire site was closed to vehicle traffic.
yeah that's what i was getting at

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:07 PM

From the Austin Monitor: https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...nding-options/

Quote:
The development team in charge of the waterfront property that houses the Austin American-Statesman newspaper plans to file an amendment to a planned unit development proposal for the site in the coming weeks, kicking off an expected year of negotiations for the central piece of South Congress Avenue. (bold is mine)
Quote:
“I’m sure some of you are scratching your head going, what are they thinking?” he said. “The plan calls for the city participating in the public realm of the road and park, but that’s like owning a boat … the cheapest day is the day you build it, because now you’ve got ongoing maintenance and operations. We take on lots of that obligation, but to be able to afford to do that we need to be able to build the realm that we’re showing you.”
Quote:
“It’s our charge now as a board that there’s a way for this to work, because if this piece doesn’t work, nothing else moves forward,” he (Board Chair Franco) said. “We can’t wait any longer to have the answers we’re looking for, and as a body we need to urge Council to implement the things we’re going to recommend, whether it’s the funding source and how we do that, whether it’s the governance structure, or the regulating plan. Without all those components outlined in the plan, that have been there all along, this thing doesn’t work.”

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:23 PM

The Statesman has an update.

Quote:
Alan Holt, the city planner heading up the waterfront planning effort, said drafts of the plan could be delivered to the Austin City Council this fall for consideration and possible adoption.

Suttle said he is proceeding through the standard zoning process because “we can’t wait for the regulating plan to start our planning.”
https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...-mixed-reviews

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:02 PM

The PUD development plan was filed. This project is known as "305. S. Congress Ave".

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=283071

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:08 PM

And here's the zoning change request for the "Austin American Statesman Site":

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...opertyrsn=6593

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
And here's the zoning change request for the "Austin American Statesman Site":

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...opertyrsn=6593
Cue up the NIMBYs. ‘04 gunna try to slap a historic designation on the Statesman. Fuckin motards.

Excuse me, I’m already a few sheets to the wind. Drinking salty dogs at Nickel City on the East Side.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:45 PM

More project info was added to the PUD and zoning change filings. The project consists of:

1.5 Million Sq. Ft. Office space
1.6 Million Sq. Ft. Residential - 1,378 units
275 Hotel rooms
150K Sq. Ft. Retail

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:10 PM

From the Statesman today.

“Redevelopment of the Statesman tract will transform the south bank of Lady Bird Lake and the landscape of the South Central Waterfront,” Tovo said in an email. “I’m glad to see that the architects and other professionals designing the site are approaching the project from that perspective — and that their express intent is to create superior, inclusive public spaces amidst the residential and commercial buildings. I am looking forward to learning more about the details of the proposed project so that I can better understand how elements of the rezoning aim to codify that vision.”

".....so I can crush all your dreams...."muttered Tovo under her breath. She stays up late conjuring up new excuses of how this will ruin Austin. I don't believe ONE word of her email. I can't believe she reps downtown and consistently votes against density.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:02 PM
Meh

Right now, this is one of the projects I'm most excited about. I really love the idea of it connecting the north and south shores and also creating more public space along the south shore, and expanding the boardwalk a bit while also giving us another pedestrian bridge across the river. I don't even care about the design of the towers they're planning. If the layout of the public spaces they're planning comes true, this will be one of my favorite places around downtown.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:10 AM

Some progress. The filings for both the PUD and zoning change have wrapped up their initial Admin phase, and the PUD and ZC requests are ready for a hearing with the Planning Commission. Although the date for the PC meeting has not been set yet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:30 PM

The PUD and zoning change request for this project were scheduled for Tuesday's Planning Commission meeting. But staff requested an indefinite postponement because they are still working with the developer on the application and waiting for the Traffic Impact Analysis to be completed.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 9:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm sure a lot of you will get irritated at this and I wasn't even going to mention it at all, but after attending Seismic Dance Event (Epic sets especially CirezD A.K.A Eric Prydz) I've come to the conclusion that I'd like for the warehouse portion to remain and be incorporated into the redevelopment. The rest of the Statesman complex can go but that warehouse is unique and is a perfect size for music and cultural events. I don't see why it can't be saved and used for exactly that purpose. Leave it as is aside from needed public restroom facilities and other upgrades. It's already being called The Statesman, perfect name with historical context in that it was the newspaper distribution center for a couple of decades. We don't have a venue that size in the DT area. I'm urging the city council to consider the benefits in keeping the warehouse for music and cultural events. It's a great opportunity that I hope they don't squander. it can be like paying homage to the Armadillo World Headquarters that once stood a couple of blocks away.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 2:11 AM

So, outside of the Statesman site, all those State offices surrounding it will all eventually be relocated up to the north side, right? Is there a timeline or a formal process for that?

Also: Jdawg, you’ve got a real thing for post industrial dance spaces, don’t you? Very GenX if you.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:53 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

Also: Jdawg, you’ve got a real thing for post industrial dance spaces, don’t you? Very GenX if you.
Very 90s of me lol. Yea, it was awesome! The overall vibe reminded me of the oldskool raves. It is a great space, multiple people said how they liked the high ceiling, the pillars and the amount of space. I have some great videos. I'll upload a couple of pictures.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Dec 15, 2019 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
The PUD and zoning change request for this project were scheduled for Tuesday's Planning Commission meeting. But staff requested an indefinite postponement because they are still working with the developer on the application and waiting for the Traffic Impact Analysis to be completed.
They'll likely have to pay a lot to the city in road improvements since they are generating about 30,000 more trips a day.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:35 PM

This is not part of Endeavor's 305 S. Congress project, but it is part of the South Central Waterfront vision. It's a presentation made to the December meeting of the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board and is for the redevelopment of the parking lot in front of One Texas Center. There are three options for residential redevelopment including one with a 170' tower.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=332914

Here are the three proposals:

Here's the tower proposal:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
This is not part of Endeavor's 305 S. Congress project, but it is part of the South Central Waterfront vision. It's a presentation made to the December meeting of the South Central Waterfront Advisory Board and is for the redevelopment of the parking lot in front of One Texas Center. There are three options for residential redevelopment including one with a 170' tower.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=332914

Here are the three proposals:

Here's the tower proposal:

I hope that they actually make the colors of the tower identical to the crayon drawing in their diagram, like one of those cell-shaded video games.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
I hope that they actually make the colors of the tower identical to the crayon drawing in their diagram, like one of those cell-shaded video games.
It does kind of look like what my six year old does to his kids menu at Chuy's. Bonus points for staying within the lines, though.

I'm glad South Shore's densifying -- especially that plot -- but maxing out at 170 ft seems like a lost opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:34 PM
Meh

That's just a stacking plan, not an elevation and certainly not a rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin